Jump to content Jump to content

Your thoughts on Dirt Rally 2.0?

Go to solution Solved by PJTierney,

• Social Media & Community Team
40 minutes ago, UnderclassGDfan said:

But not sure if TA tracks every xbox gamer or only those on TA.

TrueAchievements only tracks their own users.

The exception is that "all of Xbox percentage" on each Achievement.

• Thanks 1
On 8/24/2021 at 8:28 PM, UnderclassGDfan said:

Nothing is as great as this rally game, it's still the best on the market.
But let's see how good WRC 10 is.
Since the DR-Team don't say a word about the DR-Future, I decided to buy WRC 10 and hope it's good.

@UnderclassGDfan At the moment, WRC 10 isn't performing very well... It's been quite a rocky launch, to say the least.

People who bought the Deluxe Edition of the game have 48 hours of early access. Well, PC players are excluded from having that 48 hour early access period, apparently. When they announced the Deluxe Edition and the perks that come with it early August, it was never mentioned that PC players were excluded. Only 5 days ago, was that exclussion officially announced for the first time. I bought the Deluxe Edition for that perk so that I could immediately work on content for my Channel and be out there with the others. Now, I got gut-punched thanks to their first PR launch blunder.

Having said that, most console players that have the early access and have the day 1 patch installed are not happy!
So many issues with screen tearing, framerate drops and just poor or inconsistent performance across the board. Also the fact that the game looks really outdated on the next gen consoles.
The sound quality has improved but is nowhere near what DR2.0 offers. The 3D car models aren't very well designed.
Lots of content is just copied from WRC9 without any updates/improvements.
And the list goes on and on...

I'll be able to have a go at it myself but I feel that most of the issues I had with the demo will still be there and in some cases magnified because the whole game is now available instead of just a small part of it.

When it comes to DR2.0, I have to agree with what most people said about it already.
I could go into a lot more detail about the things I like and dislike but that would be an incredibly long and tedious post. 😅

On 9/1/2021 at 10:38 AM, SRD_SimVansevenant said:

@UnderclassGDfan At the moment, WRC 10 isn't performing very well... It's been quite a rocky launch, to say the least.

People who bought the Deluxe Edition of the game have 48 hours of early access. Well, PC players are excluded from having that 48 hour early access period, apparently. When they announced the Deluxe Edition and the perks that come with it early August, it was never mentioned that PC players were excluded. Only 5 days ago, was that exclussion officially announced for the first time. I bought the Deluxe Edition for that perk so that I could immediately work on content for my Channel and be out there with the others. Now, I got gut-punched thanks to their first PR launch blunder.

Having said that, most console players that have the early access and have the day 1 patch installed are not happy!
So many issues with screen tearing, framerate drops and just poor or inconsistent performance across the board. Also the fact that the game looks really outdated on the next gen consoles.
The sound quality has improved but is nowhere near what DR2.0 offers. The 3D car models aren't very well designed.
Lots of content is just copied from WRC9 without any updates/improvements.
And the list goes on and on...

I'll be able to have a go at it myself but I feel that most of the issues I had with the demo will still be there and in some cases magnified because the whole game is now available instead of just a small part of it.

When it comes to DR2.0, I have to agree with what most people said about it already.
I could go into a lot more detail about the things I like and dislike but that would be an incredibly long and tedious post. 😅

I'm a big Dirt Rally fan, but I've been playing the early release of WRC 10 and have to say it's much better than I had expected (and I enjoyed the previous iteration having picked it up later, cheaper).  I don't disagree on the car models, but for me, playing in cockpit cam that doesn't matter so much.

The most important for my enjoyment is the feel of the car and the design (layout) and look (aesthetic) of the stages.  Graphically, from the cockpit it's a step up from last year (albeit not a huge step) - most notably the road surface textures, particularly on snow look much better.  It also looks more realistic in terms of colour palette (I hated WRC 9's Kenya stages - really heavily red saturated and hard to discern, massive improvement on that stage and looking much more realistic for example in 10). The stages are great, especially the new stages - and of those, Estonia in particular is a helluva lot of fun. On the flip side the spectators look god awful - poor quality and on replays they're out pointing cameras into space as the car flies by them, taking zero notice of the action 🤣, but I can live with that.

Where it shines I think (and you have to work for it!) is the force feedback and feel of the car.  The standard FFB settings are... weird, all sliders at 100 (out of 150) by default and it's hugely unbalanced.  Once you dial that in, you can find a great sweet spot, and it feels really good, there's a lot more going on and information feedback through the wheel than Dirt 2.0 (an obviously older game), weight transfer is really good.

Also I have to say - great transition from tarmac to snow on Monte Carlo - really noticeable on the little snow patches on otherwise clear tarmac.  Snow grip is much greater generally on WRC than Dirt, but that seems to correlate with how the real life drivers talk about the grip levels on studded tyres on snow (to be similar, sometimes better than gravel).  Although, again, I did a first run forgetting to change to studded and there was close to zero grip, so the apparent realism there felt great, and felt realistic.

All in, not a next gen graphics exemplar, but it's a lot of fun, handles great when dialed in, and the stages are varied and a lot of fun to drive.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
On 9/1/2021 at 11:38 AM, SRD_SimVansevenant said:

Well...it's too late now.

I already bought the deluxe edition for xbox.
So I own also the series x version I can't use right now, because @PJTierney refuses to give me his console...

So, I don't know really.

First thing I noticed immidiately was the fact it is unplayable with a controller (yes, I still play all my racing games with a standard xbox one s controller, su** it!), I had to make massive adjustments in the options to make it at least "ok", wich is in my opinion not ok.
I bought a console game, consoles come with a controller, so in my logic every game must be playable with a controller, simple.
I simply don't care, if the wheel-users master race don't like it, it has to be playable with a pad.

Sometimes I forget how good DR and DR2.0 are in that regard.
I did slight changes in DR2.0, too, but it is perfectly fine stock.
(You better don't mess it up for the next game, Codies DR-Staff! I'm watching you!)

Then there are other things like a game crash right after a long rally right before the ceremony.
Wich is btw the most cheapest garbage I have ever seen. The drivers on the podium were glitching around the whole time.
Looks terrible and this happens every single time.

Framerate seems to be going down pretty much on almost every corner as soon as you turn the car.
Stats don't track properly, wich triggers me hard.
Have stats or don't have them, but if you have: MAKE THEM WORK PROPERLY!

Cockpit view is just...no. I've tried it a few minutes and decided to just no. Terrible.
The windscreen has some strange mirror effect, wich is looking terrible.
I decided to play it casually from a view behind the car, also helps to differentiate it from DR2.0, because I won't stop playing that.
(I'm actually playing 4 rally games at the moment: DR2.0, SLRE, art of rally and WRC10)

But there also a few good things:

Career seems to be quite cool, not too over-complicated, but pretty cool.
I also like the stages so far, looking pretty good and very narrow sometimes, cool, cool.
The best thing for now are the epic stages, one of them in portugal was 20+ km long...took me over 15 minutes with that rally4 car.
Awesome!
I want that for DR3. Longer, harder, errr stages!

On the engine sound side...well, some sound really cool (Peugeot 205 T16 1985), some just ok (VW Polo GTI Rally2).
The music is partly really annoying in the menus (there is a song with a helium voice kind of, I don't like that kind of electronic "modern" music) and partly quite good. So I'm still thinking of completely shutting it off or let it running.
I believe music in a racing game should not be so dominant that you actively recognize it, if you know what I mean...
DR2.0 does a great job with this, always in the background not really noticing it, but does a great job to keep the mood up.
And if you **** UP in a club rally and you coming back to the clubs page, theres no music at all, the game be like "don't move, don't make a sound or he will explode!" 😄 

All in all I think the game is rushed.
There are clearly things like not matching texts in the menus, wich don't fit in the place, because my potato language has often longer words for simple english ones. They just didn't adjusted the boxes...like they don't care...looks unfinished.
There are so many small things, wich letting me guess the game had to be released right now.
1-2 more months of polishing would helped a lot.

I'm asking myself how high are the chances most of the issues get fixed in the coming weeks and months?
My experience with yearly releases is the developers just fix really critical things and just move on.
Thats the reason I gave up the F1 series. They will never be really polished and I'm tired of hoping.

I will continue playing WRC 10 for a while, but the driving experience is not good enough to keep me attached to it.
Thats the key point for a good racing game and DR2.0 is still the king.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, UnderclassGDfan said:

(I'm actually playing 4 rally games at the moment: DR2.0, SLRE, art of rally and WRC10)

So I should be seeing you on the boards then 😉 

11 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

So I should be seeing you on the boards then 😉 

I haven't done much time attack yet, only career and enjoying it.
Had some problems with the controls at first to be honest, took some time to get a feel for it.
Also finland has some bad framerate sections wich puts me off sometimes.

I heared that getting good times in this game I have to focus on doing heavy cuts wereever it is possible.
If this is true, I'm not really interested in that.

3 minutes ago, UnderclassGDfan said:

I haven't done much time attack yet, only career and enjoying it.
Had some problems with the controls at first to be honest, took some time to get a feel for it.
Also finland has some bad framerate sections wich puts me off sometimes.

I heared that getting good times in this game I have to focus on doing heavy cuts wereever it is possible.
If this is true, I'm not really interested in that.

Steering sensitivity is the main setting to get right.

It's Norway that gets occasional stutter for me on Series X, everything else is fine.

There are some Stages where you can take big cuts but for the most parts you're only clipping the apex a bit which seems fine; I haven't had to do any mad exploits yet to get near the top of the boards.

1 minute ago, PJTierney said:

Steering sensitivity is the main setting to get right.

It's Norway that gets occasional stutter for me on Series X, everything else is fine.

There are some Stages where you can take big cuts but for the most parts you're only clipping the apex a bit which seems fine; I haven't had to do any mad exploits yet to get near the top of the boards.

Yeah, I think I tuned that down a bit.
Didn't touched the "counter steering" option, wich is on 160% default, because I honestly still don't know what that really means 😄 
I also completely turned off the assists, because I had problems rotating the car in hairpins.

I know it's a very small team working on this and they got a lot of criticism for the Switch version, but I really hope they get rid of the stutter completely, aside from that, it is a really, really good indie rally title.

Really liked WRC Powerslide on the xbox 360 back in 2013(?) and always hoped, someone would make a fun top down rally game again.
I'm not a sim fanatic, always looking after good arcade titles, too.

3 hours ago, UnderclassGDfan said:

Well...it's too late now.

I already bought the deluxe edition for xbox.
So I own also the series x version I can't use right now, because @PJTierney refuses to give me his console...

So, I don't know really.

First thing I noticed immidiately was the fact it is unplayable with a controller (yes, I still play all my racing games with a standard xbox one s controller, su** it!), I had to make massive adjustments in the options to make it at least "ok", wich is in my opinion not ok.
I bought a console game, consoles come with a controller, so in my logic every game must be playable with a controller, simple.
I simply don't care, if the wheel-users master race don't like it, it has to be playable with a pad.

(You better don't mess it up for the next game, Codies DR-Staff! I'm watching you!)

Then there are other things like a game crash right after a long rally right before the ceremony.
Wich is btw the most cheapest garbage I have ever seen. The drivers on the podium were glitching around the whole time.
Looks terrible and this happens every single time.

Framerate seems to be going down pretty much on almost every corner as soon as you turn the car.
Stats don't track properly, wich triggers me hard.
Have stats or don't have them, but if you have: MAKE THEM WORK PROPERLY!

Cockpit view is just...no. I've tried it a few minutes and decided to just no. Terrible.
The windscreen has some strange mirror effect, wich is looking terrible.
I decided to play it casually from a view behind the car, also helps to differentiate it from DR2.0, because I won't stop playing that.

But there also a few good things:

Career seems to be quite cool, not too over-complicated, but pretty cool.
I also like the stages so far, looking pretty good and very narrow sometimes, cool, cool.
The best thing for now are the epic stages, one of them in portugal was 20+ km long...took me over 15 minutes with that rally4 car.
Awesome!
I want that for DR3. Longer, harder, errr stages!

On the engine sound side...well, some sound really cool (Peugeot 205 T16 1985), some just ok (VW Polo GTI Rally2).
The music is partly really annoying in the menus (there is a song with a helium voice kind of, I don't like that kind of electronic "modern" music) and partly quite good. So I'm still thinking of completely shutting it off or let it running.
I believe music in a racing game should not be so dominant that you actively recognize it, if you know what I mean...
DR2.0 does a great job with this, always in the background not really noticing it, but does a great job to keep the mood up.
And if you **** UP in a club rally and you coming back to the clubs page, theres no music at all, the game be like "don't move, don't make a sound or he will explode!" 😄 

All in all I think the game is rushed.
There are clearly things like not matching texts in the menus, wich don't fit in the place, because my potato language has often longer words for simple english ones. They just didn't adjusted the boxes...like they don't care...looks unfinished.
There are so many small things, wich letting me guess the game had to be released right now.
1-2 more months of polishing would helped a lot.

I'm asking myself how high are the chances most of the issues get fixed in the coming weeks and months?
My experience with yearly releases is the developers just fix really critical things and just move on.
Thats the reason I gave up the F1 series. They will never be really polished and I'm tired of hoping.

I will continue playing WRC 10 for a while, but the driving experience is not good enough to keep me attached to it.
Thats the key point for a good racing game and DR2.0 is still the king.

Seems to be more issues on the XBox side from what I've heard and your report - PS5 is pretty good, bar a bit of screen tearing every once in a while (anniversary races, near spectators).  I can't disagree with your experience on controller and XBox, but on the cockpit view, I think it's great; and objectively, the fact that -on console- you can alter FOV, vertical and horizontal positions, angle etc. etc. to get it exactly where you want it, is objectively a big thumbs up from me.

I've also read some people having issues on PC if they're not running a pretty high spec - particularly stuttering, so maybe PS5 is the sweet spot for the game at the moment.

Running well (and it is for me) it beats DR2.0 at the moment* from pure driving feel on a wheel and stage immersion, where WRC 9 probably didn't, but I'm with you on DR3.  Heres hoping they fix issues on other platforms for WRC 10, and if the gaming gods are kind some news soon on DR3! 

*on a PS5 at least

• Like 1
On 9/3/2021 at 2:18 PM, UnderclassGDfan said:

. . . . . . .

What, you play Sebastian Loeb Rally Evolution with a controller?

I had this many years ago, (I bought it cheap and it must have been patched long ago,) and found it unplayable because it moved the steering wheel so slowly and sluggishly (almost like in Mudrunner); in DR2's options you can't even set it to be that slow if you set the sensitivity to zero (I set it to 100). How can you play a rally game with it where I have to react at lightning speed.

In WRC 8/9 the steering is also too slow, (comparable 40 with DR2,) but SLRE is really a disaster.

On 9/2/2021 at 6:26 PM, Briandammage said:

Also I have to say - great transition from tarmac to snow on Monte Carlo - really noticeable on the little snow patches on otherwise clear tarmac.  Snow grip is much greater generally on WRC than Dirt, but that seems to correlate with how the real life drivers talk about the grip levels on studded tyres on snow (to be similar, sometimes better than gravel).  Although, again, I did a first run forgetting to change to studded and there was close to zero grip, so the apparent realism there felt great, and felt realistic.

Winter tires are not studded tires like in Sweden.
In WRC 8 and 9, winter tires are not worthwhile because there are too few snow sections.
In WRC 8 in Monte Carlo the grip of the soft tires on ice/snow is similar to that in DR2 with winter tires.
In WRC 9, the grip on snow has been increased and I find this unrealistic. If you choose the winter tires in WRC 9, you hardly notice the transition from asphalt to ice/snow. I find that unrealistic.

This is slushy snow. On solid ice/snow, Loeb drives even slower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cULSV6LdeFA

On 9/7/2021 at 8:28 PM, PaulNbg said:

What, you play Sebastian Loeb Rally Evolution with a controller?

Well, I tried.
It worked ok, though it never looked like I had the car fully under control, even on straights.

But haven't tried to adjust the settings yet, will try that next, if there are any options, wich I hope are.

Yep, Loeb was dreadful with a controller. Basically unplayable. It had some decent physics and I know some people rate it quite highly in that respect. But I found it floaty and bouncy, even worse than DR1 in that respect.

DR2.0 is a virtuoso masterpiece in how it plays with a controller. It shows it can be done, and it's puzzling that other series like WRC still fail miserably at this essential element.