Jump to content Jump to content

[PS5] F2 Cars - Downshifting unresponsive?

Wasn’t too sure whether to post this as a bug or not as I’m not sure if it’s by design or not? 

Basically, has anyone else noticed that when using the F2 cars the gear shifts are often unresponsive sometimes, like there’s a limit to when you can and can’t shift?  I don’t recall this happening in the earlier F1 games with the F2 cars. 

Many thanks. 

@David Greco

Like how you can't rapid fire the downshifting on corner entry?

I'm not a fan of the F2 cars but they do drive very differently. This particular thing was introduced in the F1 2020 game (on the F1 cars proper) as a way to put an end to that ridiculous engine braking machine gunning downshift technique that dominated the F1 2019 meta.

Maybe this is the same or a less forgiving threshold with the F2 cars this time? Again, not a fan of the category but they do drive very differently and I think the gap between the driving models has just widened on every title. 

11 minutes ago, marioho said:

Like how you can't rapid fire the downshifting on corner entry?

I'm not a fan of the F2 cars but they do drive very differently. This particular thing was introduced in the F1 2020 game (on the F1 cars proper) as a way to put an end to that ridiculous engine braking machine gunning downshift technique that dominated the F1 2019 meta.

Maybe this is the same or a less forgiving threshold with the F2 cars this time? Again, not a fan of the category but they do drive very differently and I think the gap between the driving models has just widened on every title. 

Yeah I’m just really unsure if it’s by design or not. I know what you mean about them trying to cut down on the engine braking and downshifting for that “extra rotation”, but I dont think that’s the case or what I’m experiencing. It’s like if you’re going from 4th gear to 3rd, you’ll hit the button and nothing happens. You’ll hit it again and then it will work.

It’s almost similar to the classic cars on the older games where they try to simulate and manual gearshifter without paddles and they add a lag to simulate the slower effect of having to change gears manually with a stick shifter.

Like I say I feel like this could be a bug as it wasn’t the case on F1 2019 and 2020 with the F2 cars, but wanted to double check and see if David Greco mentioned any changes to the F2 cars and the way the gears work this year before posting it as a bug. 

4 minutes ago, Henricus12 said:

I remember that in F1 2020 it happened with F2 cars, you could not downshift if the revs were too high and this is carried onto 2021

Interesting. Haha. To be fair I was testing the game stupidly early this morning with the volume down very low just to give it a test before work. Will have another look later on and see if it was just where the revs were too high. Cheers 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, stephensmattlee said:

Interesting. Haha. To be fair I was testing the game stupidly early this morning with the volume down very low just to give it a test before work. Will have another look later on and see if it was just where the revs were too high. Cheers 

Let me know as I am not sure either, I played few times with the F2 cars but a month ago I had a friendly race in my leagues where we did use the F2 cars in F1 2020 and I remember sometimes not being able to downshift when I wanted to achieve some extra rotation, so I assumed it was due to the revs

Posted (edited)

I do think there could be a bug here because I turned off the adaptive trigger tension through the games settings and immediately was able to downshift the way it felt on F1 2019 and 2020, with the responsiveness it should.

Feels like maybe the braking and the tension through the trigger is strangely interfering in the downshifts when manual gearing when using the F2 cars 😐

Edited by stephensmattlee

@stephensmattlee if that's the case it could surely be helpful to report the issue on the appropriate forum. Adaptative triggers being the novelty it is I would not put it beyond reasonable to have something like it go unnoticed in the QA and development phase. It is F2, after all. Not the most sought after game mode out there.

• Agree 1

Just a bit more information on this. I think it does still appear to be a bug and is affecting both with the trigger tension on and disabled too. The main culprit appears to be when you down shirt from 5th to 4th gear. You’ll be braking for a corner and hit the downshift button but it doesn’t always work on the first press.  I’m not sure if this issue is PS5 specific or if it’s happening on other platforms too.

Definitely feels like a bug though as I don’t recall having the issue on 2019 and 2020 and also completed a full 100% season using the F2 cars.

5 minutes ago, marioho said:

@stephensmattlee if that's the case it could surely be helpful to report the issue on the appropriate forum. Adaptative triggers being the novelty it is I would not put it beyond reasonable to have something like it go unnoticed in the QA and development phase. It is F2, after all. Not the most sought after game mode out there.

Will do. Also need to create a proper bug report for the camera settings not resetting properly after adjusting them too.  So many issues with the new game but I guess with a few decent patches it has the potential to easily be the best F1 game so far. 

• Agree 1

Still scratching my head on this one. On F1 2021 it seems to get stuck when downshifting from 5th to 4th gear. Did the same thing on both the PS5 and PS4 version of the game. 

This was just running in Time Trial at Austria using one of the F2 cars, I used the ART but affects all of them and in Braking Point and in the Feeder part of the career mode. 

Went back to try F1 2020 and found that going from 5th to 4th was no problem at all, had all the responsiveness you’d expect when pressing the button on the controller.  Then immediately felt like it was a clear cut bug in F1 2021.  Now however I’ve noticed that on F1 2020 you do also get that same occasional unresponsiveness but this time it happens when going from 4th to 3rd gear. 

Really weird and still massively confused as to whether this is a bug or if it’s intentional and by design?  

Don’t suppose I could get a response from someone from Codemasters on this as I feel like I’m going a bit mad over this one.

I get that of course the F2 cars aren’t as popular as the main F1 cars so could have easily slipped through unnoticed when the game as been tested. 

Thank god this isn't just happening to me. I'm an Xbox gamer and have noticed the same behaviour, especially 5th to 4th. Obviously I don't have the adaptive triggers but as I hadn't played an F1 game in 10 years I figured this was just by design. 

Yep i have this problem also. For me though i find wanting to shift 2/3 times im having to press the downshift button on my pad almost 10 times. I have to brake so much earlier to do this and even still at times i still outbrake as in too high of a gear. Im almost 2 seconds slower on this game compared to the previous. Almost unplayable. Used to love driving the F2 cars. 

Glad others have noticed this issue too, for a long time thought it was just me or I was doing something wrong.  

The developers appear to be aware of it now too so hopefully it should get a fix in an upcoming patch.

Appreciate the replies.