Sign in to follow this  

GRID Autosport Feedback

I think if GAS is dying it's because of that damn save-file corruption.

I'm pretty sure once it's fixed people will come back to the game. I know at least like 10 people on my friends list alone who will pick it back up once they won't lose their save files.

Worryingly though, finding Endurance races is near-impossible. Am I the only one who likes Endurance even if I'm not really that good at it?

I think if GAS is dying it's because of that damn save-file corruption.

I'm pretty sure once it's fixed people will come back to the game. I know at least like 10 people on my friends list alone who will pick it back up once they won't lose their save files.

Worryingly though, finding Endurance races is near-impossible. Am I the only one who likes Endurance even if I'm not really that good at it?
no I wouldn't say that I quite like the Endurance discipline myself I thought I'd be better at it than I am though. As you said though once the corrupted saves are fixed maybe you'll find people willing to race them.

Strange damage 'calculation'.
I just had a silly situation in CatC at Mount Panorama. Right at the start after the first corner I got 'sandwiched', or 'arrowed', whatever you might call it. :D
On my right there was a car half on grass, half on track and about a 3rd or half a car length in front of me, exactly the same on my left side. When the grass-runner tried to get on the track, he pushed me left, into the other car and himself 45° in front of me, same happended with the left car. So viewing from top this must have looked like an arrow. :D
We drove about 2 seconds this way until I decided, that I maybe should back down.
Well, I think in real life, nothing bad would have happend. Tires ruined for the other ones, a little bit bended metal for all of us, as there was no impact, simply touching and then pushing.
Instead my car was totally wrecked afterwards, though looking fine... but engine, suspension, all red. So I assume, damage is calculated by 'touching-time' aswell as maybe impact. Otherwise I can't explain to myself, how that messed up my race so bad, without anything really happening.

If so, please fix it. Yes, this might be a rare occasion, still less damage is better than too much for nothing.

I haven't read through this entire thread, but here are my initial impressions after playing Grid AutoSport on the Xbox 360 for a couple weeks (copied-&-pasted from a post of mine on another thread, just in case this thread gets more exposure internally at CodeMasters)...

Grid AutoSport is nearly the perfect kind of authentic international motorsport experience I've been looking for in a "simcade" console game. Bravo, CodeMasters!

My only significant annoyance so far is the wildly unsportsmanlike AI drivers. I definitely appreciate the impressive levels of awareness & competitiveness built-in to the AI competitors (truly great work on that, CodeMasters!), but too often they blatantly cross the line from "professionally competitive" to "dirty cut-throat recklessness." Every race seems like a demolition derby...

...They'll make crazy swerves off their lines just to block or smack into me...

...When I start making a run on the inside or outside, they'll clip my rear quarter panel just as I'm about to complete the pass, putting me into a spin...

...When they're behind me, they'll avoid braking for turns just to plow into me from behind...

...They'll brake-check me on corner-entry, then take their sweet time accelerating again on corner-exit...

It can really take the fun out of attempting competitive times in the RaceNet challenges with such relentlessly unsportsmanlike AI drivers.

If players get the impression from AI drivers that this is how we're supposed to race, then it's no wonder public lobbies can get so crazy.

A few other things that would make a great game even better for me...

On the console (Xbox 360), the controller inputs feel more twitchy to me than other driving games feel. I find it difficult to be as smooth as I'd like to be with my steering, throttle, & braking. I wish the inputs weren't quite so sensitive (or better yet, it'd be cool if sensitivity was adjustable).

It would also be great to have a solo "test drive" and/or "hot-lap" mode for practicing & getting a better feel for the cars & tracks, without any other cars on the track & without having to worry about repair costs.

The single-player career could use some more substance: it looks to be nothing more than a long structured list of events to complete, and the only reward for doing anything is XP (experience) points that only serve to unlock more events. There's nothing at all (that I've found) to show for any of your single-player career progress. Of course the racing is fun, but the "career" is just a treadmill that goes nowhere.

I think the in-game economy online would benefit from an overhaul too: costs are too high & award payouts are too low.

The in-game online leaderboards do not work properly, and I'd really like to see that fixed very soon.

I hope CodeMasters continues to support & improve this game so I can enjoy Grid AutoSport for a long time.

MiatakiasGR hahahahaha think he won wrc2 last year an is in his 1st full year in the wrc :p still slaps half the driving world with a severed hand hahahahaha :D BRT R Kubica 4 : 6 years ov online racing games if ever iv seen a failure its gas no content for hardcore gamers tut tut tut

ok kubica is good driver , i remember him when he was in f1 he was fast! Gas has much content for hardcore gamers but the problem is that most of players online set noob settings like DD with flashbacks and damage visual only  8-| , most host enable flashbacks (5) or the AI that in many cases its cause of mess in start of races .. b-( ... We need harcore playlist (no flashbacks) of in custom lobbies to be default flashbacks 0 ... L-) 

Theres no content 2 this game!!!! If I dont want to race people online or do a racenet challenge then im stuck in career???? Did you know that you cant start a race in an online lobby unless you hav a 2nd person!!!! Must ov sat there combined an hour waiting for someone an I cant even hav a hotlap while I wait ppiisssshh game thats why!!!

Still staggered at how utterly useless the AI is - one of the worst I've ever seen in a racing game.

You've fallen into the usual trap when trying to make "harder" or "more competitive" AI cars - make them more aggressive.  The result is a game of dodgems.

Played a supercar street race earlier on reverse San Fran track I think it was and every single race there was a pileup at the first corner without fail.  When the AI is so aggressive that it can't even get all the cars round the first corner without a huge crash then it's totally broken.

Sick and tired of endless restarts due to AI cars smashing into me just because I dared to be on their precious racing line.  If you try to be just as aggressive then you always come off worse.

Hopeless.

Vertigo1 said:
Still staggered at how utterly useless the AI is - one of the worst I've ever seen in a racing game.

You've fallen into the usual trap when trying to make "harder" or "more competitive" AI cars - make them more aggressive.  The result is a game of dodgems.

Played a supercar street race earlier on reverse San Fran track I think it was and every single race there was a pileup at the first corner without fail.  When the AI is so aggressive that it can't even get all the cars round the first corner without a huge crash then it's totally broken.

Sick and tired of endless restarts due to AI cars smashing into me just because I dared to be on their precious racing line.  If you try to be just as aggressive then you always come off worse.

Hopeless.
I would say Grid 2's was worse at least for me. Yes the AI is still aggressive sometimes but it's nowhere near as bad as in the previous Grid games IMO

Maybe I'm remembering the older games more favourably than I should but the AI in this is a joke.  I've just raged from my umpteenth game due to being punted off the track by an AI car for no reason.

LOORE:

Cornwall is no longer a County of England but a minority country in its own right, the same as; Wales, Scotland, and N.Ireland.

We have always had our own flag and tartan, see: yer tis, in my sig.

So, plz can we have our flag of St. Pirran included in the game.

This is not a trifling matter, for decades we have fought for this status, and the Welsh, Scots, and Irish flag without a Cornish flag amounts to prejudice on a National scale . . .
~O)

The game introduces massive understeer in certain places on certain tracks - this is the kind of thing a selective beta would have picked up on.

On Okutama GP as you start up the hill around the long right hander is one I have noticed, and on Istanbul B, just as you come around the final right hander to the home straight the understeer is worse than in Grid 1, which makes me wonder if some of that code was used in the making of it ?
~O)

LOORE:

Cornwall is no longer a County of England but a minority country in its own right, the same as; Wales, Scotland, and N.Ireland.

We have always had our own flag and tartan, see: yer tis, in my sig.

So, plz can we have our flag of St. Pirran included in the game.

This is not a trifling matter, for decades we have fought for this status, and the Welsh, Scots, and Irish flag without a Cornish flag amounts to prejudice on a National scale . . .
~O)
Yeah I agree give the man his flag.  :)

The game introduces massive understeer in certain places on certain tracks - this is the kind of thing a selective beta would have picked up on.

On Okutama GP as you start up the hill around the long right hander is one I have noticed, and on Istanbul B, just as you come around the final right hander to the home straight the understeer is worse than in Grid 1, which makes me wonder if some of that code was used in the making of it ?
~O)
Well I can't be 100% certain, but they're both pretty steep inclines aren't they? My suspicion is that gravity is moving the weight more over the rear wheels resulting in a loss of front grip. Not the nicest handling trait in the world when you get it for sure, but don't think it's something we'd want to 'fix'. :)

@Loore, would like to see XP points for length of Race. Since it is in Difficulty and the Length of a Race can directly affect the difficulty. Longer races require longer periods of focus, and lead to many more opportunities for mistakes, especially if Ravenwest is on your rear bumper for 18 laps. 

Also hope you can tweak the Payout-Repair cost for Online. Thanks.

PS. Rearview Mirror is a must. The AI has mirrors because they block like Fernado Alonso 

@Loore, would like to see XP points for length of Race. Since it is in Difficulty and the Length of a Race can directly affect the difficulty. Longer races require longer periods of focus, and lead to many more opportunities for mistakes, especially if Ravenwest is on your rear bumper for 18 laps. 

PS. Rearview Mirror is a must. The AI has mirrors because they block like Fernado Alonso 
I manage to successfully block the AI including the RW guys all the time just using the white arrow markers.

I manage to successfully block the AI including the RW guys all the time just using the white arrow markers.
So do I most of the time.

Vertigo1 said:

Hopeless.
I would say Grid 2's was worse at least for me. Yes the AI is still aggressive sometimes but it's nowhere near as bad as in the previous Grid games IMO
Totally agree about Grid 2 but I think a lot of that was also down to the collision impact between 2 cars being too extreme. My philosophy is to treat the AI players the same way I treat real players online and 5 seasons in playing on Hard I don't think I've had one overly aggressive move made on me for no reason. We trade paint and give each other little knocks but I'm not experiencing this overly aggressive AI. An example is if I brake late for a corner and go wide and I know the AI behind me are right on my tail, I don't then try and move back on to the racing line as I know the AI will be taking that line faster than me and I made the mistake, so I let them pass on the inside and then I slot back in behind them, this is how I play online. I suspect people complaining about aggressive AI expect the AI to always give in to the player, even if the player is driving badly, and when the AI don't give in to the player, they complain.

Vertigo1 said:

Hopeless.
Totally agree about Grid 2 but I think a lot of that was also down to the collision impact between 2 cars being too extreme. My philosophy is to treat the AI players the same way I treat real players online and 5 seasons in playing on Hard I don't think I've had one overly aggressive move made on me for no reason. We trade paint and give each other little knocks but I'm not experiencing this overly aggressive AI. An example is if I brake late for a corner and go wide and I know the AI behind me are right on my tail, I don't then try and move back on to the racing line as I know the AI will be taking that line faster than me and I made the mistake, so I let them pass on the inside and then I slot back in behind them, this is how I play online. I suspect people complaining about aggressive AI expect the AI to always give in to the player, even if the player is driving badly, and when the AI don't give in to the player, they complain.

That's my philosophy too generally Yes CM have made games with somewhat over aggressive AI both F1 2013 and Grid 2 were prime examples of that  In general though I've found CM's AI to be pretty good challenging and always ready to challenge you if you make a mistake but never too aggressive. The AI seems to me does act in a similar way to what I would say a real driver would in each discipline too.

This has been the case with the F1 games as well. I admit sometimes they are a little bit unbalanced and by that they can be slightly easier to beat at some tracks than others. But that might also depend on the players skills too so we can't necessarily read into that too much..  I find them quite easy to beat at CM's Autosport raceway for example whereas Hockenheim and sometimes the Algarve track they can be quite challenging.

It dosnt matter how nice you b with them they dont hav a brain!!!!! Going around the outside ov the pack in an oval is legit but the ai on the inside just drilled me in the wall asif I wasnt even there :p lolllll

Britpoint said:

~O)
Well I can't be 100% certain, but they're both pretty steep inclines aren't they? My suspicion is that gravity is moving the weight more over the rear wheels resulting in a loss of front grip. Not the nicest handling trait in the world when you get it for sure, but don't think it's something we'd want to 'fix'. :)
That argument might stand for Okatuma, but the corner at Istanbul B is virtually flat . . .after coming down into the last right hander the road flattens before the bend . .I can remember in Grid 1 that we would go out far left onto the run off area to curve the bend because of this massive understeer if you tried to take it on the racing line. The only other way was to virtually stop and crawl around.

Now, whilst I have your attention, about my Flag of St Pirran ? . .
~O)

Britpoint said:

~O)
That argument might stand for Okatuma, but the corner at Istanbul B is virtually flat . . .after coming down into the last right hander the road flattens before the bend . .I can remember in Grid 1 that we would go out far left onto the run off area to curve the bend because of this massive understeer if you tried to take it on the racing line. The only other way was to virtually stop and crawl around.

Now, whilst I have your attention, about my Flag of St Pirran ? . .
~O)
I remember Grid 2 having modelled different levels of grip on different parts of some circuits (for example Indianapolis, some corners I couldn't take as fast as others even though the others were wider).

It's probably the case that this is true in GAS as well; tracks don't have the same levels of grip on every corner of the track. Perhaps it's annoying but eh.

That said, I don't remember the bumps on San Francisco being this bad on Grid 1. Several times my car's swerved at someone because it hit the edge of the darker patches of track and lost traction. I don't mind the traction loss in of itself but the bumps they create are pretty random.