Jump to content Jump to content

Request: general setup tips needed

Hi all,

Am looking for some pointers on setups in F1 2021. 

In 2020, for example I found with most setups I would normally have a much lower front wing than rear, softer front suspension than rear, looser anti-roll bar in the front, BB as far back as possible (usually around 50%), and a fairly low front ride height (2/3), with high camber and low toe on fronts and rear.

This year it’s seems those with the fastest lap times have higher front wings, stiffer front suspension and front anti roll bars and BB around 60%, and much higher ride heights.

Are there any trends in setups you have observed? Would you recommend using your 2020 setups as a base and adjusting or starting from scratch/ default setups?

Interested to hear your thoughts.

🖖🏽

Edited by Monzie83
  • Monzie83 changed the title to Request: general setup tips needed
13 minutes ago, Monzie83 said:

Hi all,

Am looking for some pointers on setups in F1 2021. 

In 2020, for example I found with most setups I would normally have a much lower front wing than rear, softer front suspension than rear, looser anti-roll bar in the front, BB as far back as possible (usually around 50%), and a fairly low front ride height (2/3), with high camber and low toe on fronts and rear.

This year it’s seems those with the fastest lap times have higher front wings, stiffer front suspension and front anti roll bars and BB around 60%, and much higher ride heights.

Are there any trends in setups you have observed? Would you recommend using your 2020 setups as a base and adjusting or starting from scratch/ default setups?

Interested to hear your thoughts.

🖖🏽

I wouldn't build off 2020, I've been going from the defaults. 

So far higher rear wing has served me well, about 3-4 notches higher typically

Full front camber, low rear

and brake pressure down from 100 last year to about 95 this, bias left at default.

Worth putting out I'm not 100% going to speed, more comfort and competitiveness, but I still think these will make a good start to be tweaked per track and for your own goals. 

Edited by KNT2011
  • Like 2
12 minutes ago, KNT2011 said:

I wouldn't build off 2020, I've been going from the defaults. 

So far higher rear wing has served me well, about 3-4 notches higher typically

Full front camber, low rear

and brake pressure down from 100 last year to about 95 this, bias left at default.

Worth putting out I'm not 100% going to speed, more comfort and competitiveness, but I still think these will make a good start to be tweaked per track and for your own goals. 

Thanks @KNT2011, like you I’m trying to establish relatively stable and competitive setups as a base and then build from there.

For some tracks I’ve found my 2020 setups to be relatively stable - Austria for example. But others they are just not driveable even with tweaking - Belgium and Singapore spring to mind.

Will give the defaults a try - that’s how I built my setups in 2020, but was looking for any time saving tips.

Interestingly, I find 60% BB with 100% brake pressure is good for me on most tracks.

On 7/16/2021 at 3:06 PM, Monzie83 said:

Thanks @KNT2011, like you I’m trying to establish relatively stable and competitive setups as a base and then build from there.

For some tracks I’ve found my 2020 setups to be relatively stable - Austria for example. But others they are just not driveable even with tweaking - Belgium and Singapore spring to mind.

Will give the defaults a try - that’s how I built my setups in 2020, but was looking for any time saving tips.

Interestingly, I find 60% BB with 100% brake pressure is good for me on most tracks.

Dave Gaming / you tube good starting point for all tracks …..

• Like 1

Just posted this in another thread. When I'm looking for a baseline to start building my setups, these are my go-to resources:

• F1 Car Setup - Great discussions more often than not. Ends up providing meaningful feedback and insight into people's setup choices.
  • Sim Racing Setup - Along with the userbase setups that you find up and center, if you scroll or dig down a bit there are setups and comments by the site's editorial. They're nice as a starting point.
  • Like 1

I worked on a setup for 2 hours around Spain and it's great for other tracks too:

7-9 wings. 80-60 diff. 1-5 springs. 1-2 roll bars. 5-6 ride height. 5 clicks right on the front and rear camber and rear toe. 5 clicks left on the front toe. 98 brake pressure, 57 bias. Middle-ish front right tyre pressure low front right and high rear tyre pressures

My "setup philosophy" as I'd call it is based around good rotation and a very stable rear given they nerfed the aero. Increase the front wing if you get understeer. For traction dependent tracks use a lower diff (high diff for tracks with few heavy braking zones)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the input all.

Have tried a few setup resources you’ve listed but couldn’t find a consistent “go-to” without a fair amount of trial and error. I came across TRL Limitless’ 2021 hotlap video on YouTube, and have been using his setups as my base. Have found them to be quite good for my driving style as they are quite stable for me in race scenarios with a few minor tweaks.