Jump to content Jump to content

[PS5] F2 Cars - Downshifts Unresponsive

Description:

Ive been trying out the F2 cars in time trial and also during the start of Braking Point running on PS5 using the Dualsense with the Adaptive Triggers enabled and noticed that there appears to be an issue with the downshifts.  When when approaching a corner from a straight and downshift whilst braking it appears to be unresponsive for certain gears, i.e 5th to 4th where it won’t shift to forth when you click the square button and have to press it again, usually resulting in locking up or overshooting the corner.

I’ve tried both enabling and disabling the trigger tension on the Dualsense through the games settings and it appears to still be an issue. 

Report Code: (Will replicate the issue and get a code ASAP)

Platform: PS5 version using Dualsense Controller 

Game Mode: All F2 cars - Time Trial, Feeder Career, Braking Point 

Has there been any acknowledgement of this issue at all?

Went back and tried the F2 cars in F1 2020 and clearly there’s something not right when downshifting through the gears when using manual gears. Most noticeably when going from 5th to 4th gears not responding on the first press. 

Ive had someone on Xbox reply to me that they’ve noticed the same issue.  I’ve also compared the PS5 and PS4 versions of F1 2021 and the issue affects both versions too. 

This was posted late Friday, many staff were absent over the weekend. I'm sure it will be looked at in due course. I can't test PS5 but I will attempt to replicate on a controller to see if it's a gameplay issue.

41 minutes ago, steviejay69 said:

This was posted late Friday, many staff were absent over the weekend. I'm sure it will be looked at in due course. I can't test PS5 but I will attempt to replicate on a controller to see if it's a gameplay issue.

Thank you for replying 👍. That’s cool, I was just a bit concerned that it would get lost in amongst all the other bug posts and go through unnoticed.  

I know the F2 cars aren’t anywhere near as popular as the F1 cars but since their introduction in the series I’ve been starting off there in the career mode to also allow a bit of extra time for more patches to come through before diving into the main F1 part of the career. 

Many thanks. 

Just now, cmgavincooper said:

@stephensmattlee Can you confirm, please, that this issue is exclusive to the F2 cars? That it doesn't happen on F1 cars as well?

Yes I can confirm the issue only appears to affect the Formula 2 cars.  Seems to mainly be when shifting from 5th to 4th using manual gears on the controller.  When you first press the button it doesn’t respond at first and then when you press it repeatedly it eventually works.

I’ve had someone on Twitter reply to me saying they had the same issue on Xbox but I’ve come across it on both the PS5 and PS4 versions through back-compatibility.  

Seems to affect all modes too when using elite settings/manual gears on controller whether it be Braking Point, Time Trial or the feeder part of the main career where the F2 cars feature. No issues at all when using the F1 cars though with everything behaving as it should. 

Hope that helps 

13 hours ago, steviejay69 said:

FYI I couldn't replicate the issue on PC XBox Controller so is likely not a gameplay issue more controller or console specific.

I can confirm i also have the same issue via xbox controller. Im finding im having to press the downshift button almost 10 times just to go down 3 gears. Quite unplayable. I have to brake so much earlier than everyone else. Ive lost 2 seconds in these F2 cars compared to the last game. Again this is just F2 cars on xbox one. Downshifting is fine with F1 cars.

Edited by Darnell18
On 7/20/2021 at 9:29 PM, steviejay69 said:

FYI I couldn't replicate the issue on PC XBox Controller so is likely not a gameplay issue more controller or console specific.

Interesting. I’ve heard other people mentioning the issue as well on Twitter but sadly not so many on here. Not too sure about the platforms it affects but definitely happens on both PS5 and PS4 through backwards compatibility. Definitely makes the F2 cars unplayable with manual gears as mentioned above you end up not downshifting and overshooting corners all the time. 

It kind of feels like where the games simulate a very worn gearbox and you have large amounts of lag between gearshifts before it sorts itself out after a few laps (or the gearbox blows up), but only affects the downshifts. You hit the button and nothing happens so you hit it again and then it works. The problem is intermittent so sometimes things work okay but then another time on another corner it happens again. 

Definitely not ideal and does make the F2 cars un-drivable at the moment it you’re using manual gears.  

• Agree 1

Still having this issue as of the newest patch 1.05. Could be my imagination but the issue might be slightly better than before, but still definitely affects the F2 cars. Tried with both the adaptive trigger effect  turned both on and off to see if it made a difference but no such luck. 

Report Code: RCBB-BTEA-BASG-BASC

Platform: PS5 using Dualsense

Posted (edited)

@cmgavincooper

Just had a bit of a breakthrough on this issue with the F2 cars.  It appears that the issue is a bug that has been carried over from F1 2020.

I decided to go back to F1 2020 earlier this evening and compare the issue that I’ve been having on F1 2021.  I decided to go back and try the F2 cars from 2019 on the 2020 game and they drive absolutely perfectly with all downshifts being as responsive as you’d expect.

However, when I went to try the 2020 F2 cars (that were added in a post release patch to the 2020 game) I find the same issue that carries over into F1 2021 with certain downshifts intermittently being unresponsive. 

You can try and test this yourself by loading into Time Trial on F1 2020 at Austria and using as an example the 2019 UNI-Virtuosi F2 car, everything behaves as it should.  But then if you keep the same track but try the 2020 UNI-Virtuosi F2 car that’s when the same issue I’m having in F1 2021 appears and the downshifts intermittently don’t work at certain times. I found Austria a good place to test as you have the long (almost) straight and sudden hard brake and multiple downshifts for turn 3.  Default setup and time of day etc. 

I hope this helps in narrowing down the issue when replicating it for testing as I now believe this is an issue that has been carried over from the previous game when the 2020 F2 cars were added to that game in the post-release patch. 

Here is the F1 2020 (PS4 running on PS5) report code if that helps - KSAE-DTAM-RBSG-BASC

Many thanks. 

As a side note. Is it right that last years F2 cars were able to use purple super-soft tyres in qualifying?  From what I’ve seen as well as footage of the pole lap from last years Austrian F2 qualifying, only the red, yellow and white tyres were used and Zhou’s pole lap used the red soft tyre?

Thanks again 

Edited by stephensmattlee
F2 purple tyre question
On 7/28/2021 at 11:40 PM, stephensmattlee said:

As a side note. Is it right that last years F2 cars were able to use purple super-soft tyres in qualifying?  From what I’ve seen as well as footage of the pole lap from last years Austrian F2 qualifying, only the red, yellow and white tyres were used and Zhou’s pole lap used the red soft tyre?

AIUI F2 uses the same colour coding as F1 red option, yellow medium and white prime tyres (also in 2020). It's unclear as to how many compounds are used but using the colour scheme previously mentioned. I've attached the current F2 regulations but they're not definitive other than saying the series tyres are from Pirelli. I'd guess not as the tyres are different for 2020 so I'd think the compounds would be too.

I do know F1 use five dry compounds (C1 hardest - C5 softest)

2021 Tyre compound choices (pirelli.com)

https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/2021_fia_f2_sporting_regulations_v3_24-03-2021.pdf

https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/2021_fia_f2_technical_regulations_v1.6_0.pdf

On 7/20/2021 at 9:04 AM, steviejay69 said:

This also happens when playing with wheel on PS5, downshifting just doesnt work sometimes, you have to press the padles twice or three times sometimes... it is just cause time loss

• Agree 1
4 hours ago, steviejay69 said:

AIUI F2 uses the same colour coding as F1 red option, yellow medium and white prime tyres (also in 2020). It's unclear as to how many compounds are used but using the colour scheme previously mentioned. I've attached the current F2 regulations but they're not definitive other than saying the series tyres are from Pirelli. I'd guess not as the tyres are different for 2020 so I'd think the compounds would be too.

I do know F1 use five dry compounds (C1 hardest - C5 softest)

2021 Tyre compound choices (pirelli.com)

https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/2021_fia_f2_sporting_regulations_v3_24-03-2021.pdf

https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/2021_fia_f2_technical_regulations_v1.6_0.pdf

Thank you for the reply. So it sounds like a bug and the F2 tyres never included a “purple” tyre for last years championship in any of the qualifying or races?  I know it’s not a major issue being the wrong colour but know someone else had mentioned about the purple tyres showing up for certain tracks like Austria and noticed it myself as well.

I dont suppose there’s any updates or if it’s been forwarded to the development team about the downshifting issue at all? The issue itself, which I’ve discovered was also an issue on the 2020 F2 cars for the F1 2020 game, is definitely hindering my enjoyment of the 2021 game at the moment unfortunately. In previous games I’ve always found a lot of enjoyment starting off with a feeder season in F2 then progressing to F1.  I really hope the issue can be picked up and replicated by the team and corrected going by that it appears to be an issue that’s been carried over from F1 2020.

At the moment I’ve been replaying F1 2020 and enjoying the 2019 F2 cars immensely and hope eventually I can have the same enjoyment with the F2 cars in the new game too. 

Thanks for your help.  

• Agree 1

Yep F2 cars on this game are still awful 😅 Being an admin for a Formula 2 division in a racing league makes it more frustrating. Whether my drivers have this problem or not it is certainly making me not enjoying these beautiful cars any more.

• Agree 1
15 hours ago, Darnell18 said:

Yep F2 cars on this game are still awful 😅 Being an admin for a Formula 2 division in a racing league makes it more frustrating. Whether my drivers have this problem or not it is certainly making me not enjoying these beautiful cars any more.

Ah that does suck. As I said above i know I’m in the minority but actually love the addition of the F2 cars since they were introduced in F1 2019. They’re more challenging but with the equal power of the cars for me it makes the racing a lot more fun and unpredictable.

Currently up to France in replay of the feeder season on F1 2020 whilst more patches come along for 2021 and having an absolute blast with it.  

Really wish more people gave them a chance and Codemasters could complete the feeder series by adding Formula 3 and possibly even the W series as well for the female fans of the games and add even more variety of having more drivers and female drivers progressing up the ladder in the games career mode in the games driver market. 

I really hope this downshifting issue can be picked up by the dev team and keeping my fingers crossed it can be patched fairly quickly for the new game. 

• Codemasters Staff

This is not bug. You are just in the wrong rpm range in order to do the downshift. There is a downshift protection in order to avoid blow ups, is just how it is in these engines and gearbox of this car.

Brake more and downshift later and you will never miss a downshift. Is just the way it is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have heard this from other people. I went to my brothers to do some laps on his wheel in F2 and the downshifting was fine….however with mine on my pad its a whole different story. Im having to brake so much earlier than everyone else just to make the corner no matter how much i use the brakes. I really dont think what im experiencing is normal 😬 Without being big headed im not the slowest and compared to other drivers in my F2 league im almost finding myself 1.5 seconds slower this game.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, DavidGreco said:

This is not bug. You are just in the wrong rpm range in order to do the downshift. There is a downshift protection in order to avoid blow ups, is just how it is in these engines and gearbox of this car.

Brake more and downshift later and you will never miss a downshift. Is just the way it is.

Thank you for the reply David. I had wondered if that was the case when I originally brought up the topic.

It just seemed odd that the 2019 F2 cars in F1 2020 didn’t behave in the same way as the 2020 ones? Should they not behave in the same way?  The 2019 cars in the game definitely are a lot more forgiving when downshifting when the revs are higher or too high. 

I have no complaints if that’s how the real cars themselves behave but it was that difference between the 2 sets of F2 cars from last years game (and carried over for F1 2021) that jumped out to me when I first tried them. 

Really appreciate your feedback and response on this. 

Edited by stephensmattlee