Jump to content Jump to content

AI speed on straights

1 hour ago, Jobling1983 said:

It will depend on a few things like your setup and assists. Are you using traction control? As this will hinder your acceleration getting to top speed.

what AI level you on?

I was on full traction control and disabled it but there is still a huge gap in top speed on the straights. The AI is on 41 but I'm fine on the rest of the track. It's only on the straights that I lose a lot of time... 

Without a video showing your driving style, it is likely this is happening on straights after a corner. I have seen videos of people wondering why the AI cars a so much faster than them on the straights and usually it comes down to them braking too late and also braking whilst in a corner itself.

The usual rule is brake early > stop braking / gear change down > navigate the corner > straighten out then accelerate. Generally your mindset depending on the type of corner if you are having this trouble is brake earlier > navigate the corner > exit and accelerate or the other motto I've used is "Slow in" "Fast Out".

If you are braking into an in the corner too late, it is likely that  you are still braking at or around the apex. If you do this, your positioning still needs adjusting and you will accelerate slower down the straight and reach slower speeds than the AI because you get on the power later. By going in slower, navigating the apex of the corner then accelerating, you will be able to accelerate sooner on the straight and be able to get to higher speeds faster as this is where the time is gained by getting on the power sooner from a corner.

I hope this makes some sense?

Here is a sort of guide that may help

Driving the racing line: turn-in, apex, exit - Drivingfast.net

Edited by Scarla88
2 hours ago, archie108 said:

The AI is way faster on the straights. Is there a setting I can change for this? There's no issue on the rest of the tracks but on the straights the AI is way faster. 

First, is it MyTeam mode?

If yes, the base MyTeam car is very heavy and has quite a lot of drag, try to upgrade drag reduction because it will helps out massively. You can also try to pick a more powerful engine from the start, engine upgrades are extremely OP. 

Second, what's you downforce setting? If the AI still follows last year's trend, then they're probably gonna use default setup for every track. The default setup is 16 points of downforce in total, try to either match it or go slightly lower if your car still has too much drag. 

Third, sometimes it's just a misconception, the DRS + ERS overtake made them seemingly much faster than player, but in reality, you can do almost exactly the same as they did to you. 

Hope this helps.

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, archie108 said:

thanks everyone. in the end it was simply due to the playstation controller not functioning properly anymore. R2 only goes to around 80%. Guess I'll have to buy a new one

Mine is the same. Only goes to 97% or so. You might be able to do some DIY repair on the trigger.

i think there are some tutorials on youtube for that kind of stuff. Might be worth a shot before buying a new controller 

2 hours ago, archie108 said:

thanks everyone. in the end it was simply due to the playstation controller not functioning properly anymore. R2 only goes to around 80%. Guess I'll have to buy a new one

2 hours ago, Jobling1983 said:

Mine is the same. Only goes to 97% or so. You might be able to do some DIY repair on the trigger.

i think there are some tutorials on youtube for that kind of stuff. Might be worth a shot before buying a new controller 

Are you guys basing that % on just the green display on the screen while you're in the game? Or is there some sort of console app to test your triggers with?

1 minute ago, diderooy said:

Are you guys basing that % on just the green display on the screen while you're in the game? Or is there some sort of console app to test your triggers with?

You can check in game. When u customise a control scheme there is an option to test all buttons, analog stick movement, trigger response etc.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Jobling1983 said:

You can check in game. When u customise a control scheme there is an option to test all buttons, analog stick movement, trigger response etc.

Oh wow--didn't realize that. I don't think there's anything wrong with mine but I'd be curious to check, will take a look later.

Thanks!

• Agree 1
5 hours ago, archie108 said:

You shouldn't need to buy a new controller. In the settings you can add a trigger deadzone which should solve the issue for F1. If you're using the controller for other racing games aswell tho it might be worth just buying a new one instead.