Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SPAM - The endless annoyance

I'm back now, and sorry for inactive for ages due to real-life job.

That's unbelievable when I see a lot of spams in this forums. :( It also happened to the other forums where I was a moderator, and keep fighting against spammers. I hope Codies will do something to stop it asap. We will never give up until the spammers are defeated.
We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.

fIsince08 said:
I'm back now, and sorry for inactive for ages due to real-life job.

That's unbelievable when I see a lot of spams in this forums. :( It also happened to the other forums where I was a moderator, and keep fighting against spammers. I hope Codies will do something to stop it asap. We will never give up until the spammers are defeated.
We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.
We're working on it, and we know it's an issue. The clean-up this side begins - thanks to everyone who's been helping out.

Can any admins or community founder just ban their IP?
Yes, the banning can be done based on IP - but we don't have the option to remove all banned user by IP content as an action... So that's all manual. You should see it drastically reducing! And as Didzis said, the IPs keep changing... 

The spam is back :( Also, you missed GRID Technical Assistance, there's still 4 pages of spam from December

Didzis said:
The spam is back :( Also, you missed GRID Technical Assistance, there's still 4 pages of spam from December
Gone. Most of the spam in the GRID TA section had actually been banned, just not deleted.

Well you could use an IP blacklist e.g. Stop Forum Spam amongst others. That can cut down on spam registrations significantly from what I can attest.

Add a captcha or something, it's way too easy to register a new account here. You don't even need an e-mail confirmation before you can post a comment, I mean c'mon
Well you could use an IP blacklist e.g. Stop Forum Spam amongst others. That can cut down on spam registrations significantly from what I can attest.
IP blacklist won't do anything against a dynamic IP

Yeah captcha and email confirmation would be great ways to try to fight against spam.

Didzis said:
Add a captcha or something, it's way too easy to register a new account here. You don't even need an e-mail confirmation before you can post a comment, I mean c'mon
IP blacklist won't do anything against a dynamic IP
Explain this then:

I have an IP blacklist installed on my forum and it cut down on spam registrations significantly, to the point that I rarely even get junk registrations at all. Also to consider are suggestions outlined here at MediaWiki: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Combating_spam#IP_address_blacklists

Spam again. I would've thought there would be a permanent solution by now.

Why don't you make the first post a new user types checked manually? If the post is not complaining about a bug, demanding a new future to be implemented in a patch that has to come out in 2 weeks or else or asking about pre-orders it's a fake account  :p