Jump to content Jump to content

Is there any real difference with Ray Tracing on?

1 hour ago, goot66 said:

I am talking about Ray Tracing on PC at max graphics

Yes there is a huge drop of FPS without dass …

in terms of gain of graphics quality/ well to me so little so it’s switched off ….

that is at least my humble point of view 

It’s been the case for most games, Ray Tracing makes little noticeable difference especially in fast paced games. Coupled with the performance hit it’s not worth it. But kudo’s to CM to incorporating it and giving users the choice!

13 hours ago, Ryne said:

IMO, tanks performance with no real massive graphical impact

To be honest this was very much what I expected. In cut-scenes I see the logic but for gameplay I'd fully expected players to prefer a more performance focused option.

On PS5 the games where ray tracing has made a worthwhile improvement is when used for reflections in games that  seemingly incorporated lots of reflective surfaces that specifically benefit.

• 1 month later...

I've tried different raytracing settings with my 6800 XT and even though I go from 140+ FPS with RT off to 60-70 with RT on Ultra I can literally not see any difference whatsoever. I've recorded and watched after but I just can't spot it, at least not while driving.

So, it's a rather pointless feature in my opinion.

Well on PS5, I have noticed a slight visual improvement when they re-enabled lingeray tracing, but nothing breathtaking.

But gameplay keeps running very solid and smooth with it enabled, so I left the feature on.

Did some more testing in the wet at night and I felt that the standing water had a bit more reflections than without raytracing on, but that's about the only change I can see.  Considering how much the setting affects performance I would expect more detectable changes.

Not that I care much about raytracing in general, it's far from mature enough with current hardware to really make any sense. Still think it seems poorly integrated with the game.

On 7/17/2021 at 11:07 AM, goot66 said:

I am struggling to notice the difference 

Is there a substantial difference with Ray Tracing on?

Yea there's a huge difference, a significant fps drop across the board when it's on. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1
4 hours ago, Pdexter said:

Well on PS5, I have noticed a slight visual improvement when they re-enabled lingeray tracing, but nothing breathtaking.

But gameplay keeps running very solid and smooth with it enabled, so I left the feature on.

Ray tracing isn't available on console during gameplay. That's why you don't see a frame rate hit.

In regards to the difference with ray tracing on vs off, I do notice better shadow and reflection quality with RT on. RT shadows seems to provide a more consistent boost to quality than RT reflections in this game. The shading, especially on the track surface and inside the car, seems to be more varied with RT on. You'll see inky blacks when appropriate, and lighter/more grey looking shadows when needed, all within the same frame. Whereas with RT off, it's sort of a more bland 'one size fits all' approach, with less variation and a more flat image overall. 

It's more of a subtle difference, but I quite like the ray tracing here. It provides a more realistic image.

I'm on a 3080 Ti, so I get pretty good performance with RT on. If you have a mid range card, it may not be worth it for you.

Edited by HDR10