Jump to content Jump to content

Bottas Still OP in F1 2021?

Bottas has dominated the first season of my My Team save so far, about to claim the title in the penultimate race from Perez.

I'm fine with it as I actually like the guy a lot - but I can't pretend it's particularly realistic considering his performance the last couple of seasons!1275584583_F12021_20210731213943.thumb.png.5995da39e73141e7d0e1d74b399f6e61.png

Edited by Blent
Just now, Schneehase said:

Sorry, I have to disagree on this one - which game mode are you refering to?

In all the myteam playthroughs that I have had, both in 2020 and 2021 games, Bottas either came out on top, or it was very very close between him and Lewis. The point is not anyone dislikes Bottas. The point is neither, that a game can reflect reality in a perfect way. Bu the point is, if you look at any official F1 results table, both #2 drivers of Mercedes and of RedBull only score slightly more than half of the points that Lewis and Max collect. The game does not reflect this at all, a least not in myteam mode. Look into official stats how many (few) poles and wins Bottas achieved during his carreer. Run (mayb its different in simulating, dunno) a few seasons and count his wins and poles. Its not nearly close to his IRL performance, and thats the immersion breaking point.

Maybe Bottas will be out of F1 in 2022 IRL and *that* will finally solve it. Because as it loos (see last years discussions on the forums) Codemasters will not fix it. Bummer.

I can completely understand that point of view. 

I did 2 seasons of DriverCareer and Bottas finished 3rd and then 5th.  In my original 100% race length MyTeam, prior to deletion after Race 6, Bottas finished 10th, 1st+FL, 6th, 4th, 3rd and 2nd. If he achieved those results in real life then i'd think he's underperformed rather than OP.    Obviously not every single player has the same experience so I don't doubt that some have OP Bottas and some have mediocre Bottas.   In my games, Perez is really strong and Norris gets alot of podiums, not sure if that's the case with yours?   I like that everyone gets different experiences though.

Regarding real-life Bottas and Perez. I don't think Perez is an elite driver. I think he's in the HeadOfTheMidfield Category which puts him below TopTeamSecondDriver and WorldChampionLevel.  He can do a job... if things fall his way (like in Baku) but the most he'll be getting is third on a good day.  Bottas is TopTeamSecondDriver.  He's not winning you the World Title but he'll get you podiums and pick up the pieces.   This year, he's been pony, yes.  However, everyone has a bad year but it doesn't automatically make you a pants driver.  I think Bottas is too high in the game but he should be around 5th best, i'd say?  Hammy and Max are in a world of their own. Leclerc is the next if he'd actually finish a race. Then it's anyones game based on how they understand a car. For example Ricciardo ---> Hulkenberg ---> Sainz ---> Norris ---> Ricciardo. I'd have RedBull/Renault Danny Ric over Bottas any day. I'd have this years Norris over Bottas, yeah... but there's no guarantee he'd be any good in a Mercedes and it's just because he understands the McLarens behaviour.   it's abit off tangent but it's leading back to the ratings are based off the previous few years where Bottas has done it, not just this years where he's been questionable. 

Looking at Bottas' season; There are only 3-4 results i'd say are unexpected? 

• At Imola when he mated with Russell - He should never be sharing the same piece of track as a Williams unless he's lapping it.
  • Monaco - He was in second when he had the wheel issue. Take two points off Hamilton so he's on 193 and add 18 to Bottas and he's on 126. 
  • Baku - The less said about Bottas' race, the better.  He went the wrong way with the setup and it was a disaster.
  • At Hungary he qualified second and became a human pinball. If he didn't take out the whole field then he'd have finished second or third. Hamilton and Max were the only ones who could challenge him in the race. A DNF makes it hard to say if he's underperforming here or just a poor start.

I'd say if you averaged up every race (even excluding his Monaco race where he should have been second) he finished then he's 3rd on average?  That's exactly where Mercedes expect him to be?   Everyone knows he's not as good as Lewis and Max... but then, who is? 

6 hours ago, SmokyAtom07 said:

Obviously not every single player has the same experience

Maybe its due to the platform you play on - I take it you are not on PC / steam probably, or?

Edited by Schneehase
1 minute ago, Schneehase said:

Maybe its due to the platform you play on - I take it you are not on PC / steam probably, or?

PS4 currently.   I will be migrating over to PC/Steam eventually though so might compare the difference between the two. It's possible there are differences from platform to platform. 

1 minute ago, SmokyAtom07 said:

PS4 currently.   I will be migrating over to PC/Steam eventually though so might compare the difference between the two. It's possible there are differences from platform to platform. 

Now that would be interesting. Yeah I suppose if we players / community will stick to this topic for some more time, then we should *always* include the game mode and which platform we have been playing on. As from everything I have learned about Supermottas, it pretty much looks like this was (mainly) a PC / myteam specific issue, eventually coupled with certain (high) AI settings. I would have to dig it out, but iirc there was some dev post on the 2020 forums more or less admitting that the problem existed, but would not be fixed for the 2020 game any more. Personally I would like to learn a lot more about this, what is causing it, how you could prevent it, etc.

4 minutes ago, Schneehase said:

Now that would be interesting. Yeah I suppose if we players / community will stick to this topic for some more time, then we should *always* include the game mode and which platform we have been playing on. As from everything I have learned about Supermottas, it pretty much looks like this was (mainly) a PC / myteam specific issue, eventually coupled with certain (high) AI settings. I would have to dig it out, but iirc there was some dev post on the 2020 forums more or less admitting that the problem existed, but would not be fixed for the 2020 game any more. Personally I would like to learn a lot more about this, what is causing it, how you could prevent it, etc.

I wonder if it was unique to Bottas or he was just the most obviously noticeable recipient as he's at the front.  For example, in F1 2017, over 3 seasons, Alonso was 54-6 against Vandoorne on mine (which is high but not unexpected), Wehrlein was 47-13 against Ericsson (again, high but Wehrlein was marginally better) .... and Grosjean was 42-18 against Kmags (which was a surprise) in terms of who finished ahead of whom in races. I refined it for 2018 so I could monitor qualifying results too but I had more balanced results so it didn't work out as interestingly. I shall do one this year and see who seems to be outperforming against whom.

For reference, my relatively normal Bottas behaviour is on; PS4, both MyTeam and Career, AI 93 currently. If any more information is helpful then I can dig that out. 

• Agree 1
21 minutes ago, SmokyAtom07 said:

I wonder if it was unique to Bottas or he was just the most obviously noticeable recipient as he's at the front

Hard to say - I have not seen reports about Perez / Albon outperforming Verstappen though, or similar. It could be tied to Bottas (my 1st thought always was he was "swapped" or "mixed up" with Lewis) or to the car he is driving, given that cars have a stat that influences performance and we do not know about.

Also, like on a pair of scales it is always the comparison Lewis vs Valtteri as well that comes into play here. There was not a single myteam playthrough where I had the impression that Hamilon and Bottas would perform in a way that was realistic. I remember IRL F1 seasons when Bottas was a close match for Lewis for a handful of races, but over a full season Hamilton always destroyed him in total points and / or number of wins. It never feels this way in the game, but times it even feels the other way around.

I have made a statistics comparison with IRL results / wins etc versus PC myteam results for Bottas and hoped it would help. See that old thread in 2020. Dunno if any Codemaster staff ever bothered with that in detail. In the end its not important - its not that I cant have Bottas overperform one or the other year in the game, that would be ok. But seeing it consistently, thats an immersion issue I somehow cannot overcome. Blame me, if you must^^

Edited by Schneehase
  • Agree 1
  • 1 month later...