Jump to content Jump to content

Some questions about driver career


Recommended Posts

so i am planning to start a driving career but i have a few questions

1. if i start in formula 2, does the final result make any difference to formula 1?

2. a career lasts 10 years, even if you have driven F2?

3. how big is the difference between myteam and career mode?

Link to post
Share on other sites

The only thing I’ve found so far is if u win the F2 title u come n2 F1 w/ an 18 acclaim. Which seem very high 2 me considering Max is a 13 & Lewis is a 20. I would think it would be more reasonable like 5-8 range maybe. Hopefully they fix it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

From my run at the F2 season, it seems to affect the chance to sign for a team based on your final position in F2. So if your last then anything over the bottom teams will be very low chance to sign, and if you win, all teams will be high chance.

I was hoping that at the end you would get offers from teams, but that was a bit optimistic. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, UKDragonsblade said:

I was hoping that at the end you would get offers from teams, but that was a bit optimistic. 

Why? It was in 2019 to some degree, driver career there was really in depth, until they downgraded the mode in 2020 and now 2021. It wasn't unreasonable of you to expect something more out of the game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2021 at 1:17 AM, greenmind73 said:

The only thing I’ve found so far is if u win the F2 title u come n2 F1 w/ an 18 acclaim. Which seem very high 2 me considering Max is a 13 & Lewis is a 20. I would think it would be more reasonable like 5-8 range maybe. Hopefully they fix it. 

Update: after the patch I run F2 & win all 3 races & the title (obviously) I come out w/ a 1 acclaim. This is even worse than coming out w/ 18. So now they’ve made it useless 2 run F2 at all. Can’t they just make it a 5 so ur the same as most of the other drivers coming outta F2. Why have the F2 option if there is nothing 2 b gained! This needs 2b addressed more than the previous version. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/19/2021 at 4:19 AM, v12vanquish135 said:

Why? It was in 2019 to some degree, driver career there was really in depth, until they downgraded the mode in 2020 and now 2021. It wasn't unreasonable of you to expect something more out of the game.

How was it downgraded? Granted, I didn't do a driver career last year but was it not exactly the same as 19 minus the story intro, which I skipped anyway when I started a serious career save. 

I don't see what's different 19/20/21 ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, KNT2011 said:

How was it downgraded? Granted, I didn't do a driver career last year but was it not exactly the same as 19 minus the story intro, which I skipped anyway when I started a serious career save. 

I don't see what's different 19/20/21 ?

In 2019, driver career had several more details that were cut in 2020/21. For one, you had a driver type between sportsmanship and showmanship, with each team favoring a certain type of racer (answers in interview would dictate what you were). You could at all times see the opinion each team of the grid had about you represented in bars that would fill up or down depending on how they liked you. When negotiating contracts with your team, you could set objectives to reach in exchange for salary in role. So for example, you could offer the team to rank 10th in qualifying and 8th in the race on average, be a first/second driver, etc., and in exchange the team would give you perks (faster upgrade speed, pit stop efficiency, number of development upgrades at once, etc). So you could get a lot more perks and goodies from them but you had to deliver for the team, and those goals were always visible on your computer. Failing to meet them would lower their liking of you, and could demote you from 1st to 2nd driver, and eventually firing you. Meeting them would not only increase your rep with your team, but similar teams (think Alfa/Ferrari) would also like you better, increasing chances for transferring to them later. You would also always have your team mate as your rival, on top of another rival in another team, since you're constantly compared to him.

Then 2020 comes around, you no longer have team goals to meet (besides some one liner about "continue improving" or "get podiums regularly"), you have no way to see what teams think of you at all, no way to track if they like your performance or not, no way to get benefits from your contracts like faster pit stops, etc. Everything was cut in favor of, well, nothing. My Team mode without the facility and money handling, which leaves nothing, really. I started at McLaren and got kicked out at the end of the season back to Williams with no way of knowing I was about to be fired. Just had a cutscene out of nowhere with my agent furious and saying I screwed up bad, while I was constantly outperforming my team mate (I think two DNF's is what did me in, but no way to know). 

Driver Career in 2019 was way, way better than 2020/21.

EDIT: This is what contract negotiations looked like in 2019:

image.png.979bd063bc168be7933116c618e55d59.png

And this is 2020/21:

image.png.85f3efe8b76e7154ab667f9fa99b31ce.png

Edited by v12vanquish135
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, v12vanquish135 said:

In 2019, driver career had several more details that were cut in 2020/21. For one, you had a driver type between sportsmanship and showmanship, with each team favoring a certain type of racer (answers in interview would dictate what you were). You could at all times see the opinion each team of the grid had about you represented in bars that would fill up or down depending on how they liked you. When negotiating contracts with your team, you could set objectives to reach in exchange for salary in role. So for example, you could offer the team to rank 10th in qualifying and 8th in the race on average, be a first/second driver, etc., and in exchange the team would give you perks (faster upgrade speed, pit stop efficiency, number of development upgrades at once, etc). So you could get a lot more perks and goodies from them but you had to deliver for the team, and those goals were always visible on your computer. Failing to meet them would lower their liking of you, and could demote you from 1st to 2nd driver, and eventually firing you. Meeting them would not only increase your rep with your team, but similar teams (think Alfa/Ferrari) would also like you better, increasing chances for transferring to them later. You would also always have your team mate as your rival, on top of another rival in another team, since you're constantly compared to him.

Then 2020 comes around, you no longer have team goals to meet (besides some one liner about "continue improving" or "get podiums regularly"), you have no way to see what teams think of you at all, no way to track if they like your performance or not, no way to get benefits from your contracts like faster pit stops, etc. Everything was cut in favor of, well, nothing. My Team mode without the facility and money handling, which leaves nothing, really. I started at McLaren and got kicked out at the end of the season back to Williams with no way of knowing I was about to be fired. Just had a cutscene out of nowhere with my agent furious and saying I screwed up bad, while I was constantly outperforming my team mate (I think two DNF's is what did me in, but no way to know). 

Driver Career in 2019 was way, way better than 2020/21.

EDIT: This is what contract negotiations looked like in 2019:

image.png.979bd063bc168be7933116c618e55d59.png

And this is 2020/21:

image.png.85f3efe8b76e7154ab667f9fa99b31ce.png

Appreciate the breakdown, it was a genuine question. I had no idea so much had been cut from career in 20, like I say I didn't bother with it last year after experiencing a lot of it on 19 I just assumed it was untouched. 

The last one I really enjoyed and played through multiple seasons of was 17, it seems it's been heavily cut every year since then. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/30/2021 at 2:41 AM, KNT2011 said:

How was it downgraded? Granted, I didn't do a driver career last year but was it not exactly the same as 19 minus the story intro, which I skipped anyway when I started a serious career save. 

I don't see what's different 19/20/21 ?

Everything @v12vanquish135 said, though personally I could go without the Sportsmanship/Showmanship gimmick. It's nice flavor but no substance.

The perks could use some work too. And with the addition of the Focus attribute this year, there's definitely some gameplay hooks to link onto.

F1 2021 did bring one essential improvement though. Looks like your performance in F2 does actually impact your seat in F1, even locking you out of negotiations with top teams if you do not perform well enough.

However to me it feels like more of a glaring omission (from last year) than a huge step forward.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, marioho said:

though personally I could go without the Sportsmanship/Showmanship gimmick. It's nice flavor but no substance.

Right, but that's the kind of feature that you improve in future games, not cut out completely and not replace it by anything else.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@v12vanquish135 honest question, how would you go about improving that? There's no shame in dropping systems like that if they can only be vast as an ocean but deep as a puddle - and the former is questionable, in my opinion. A dyadic system like that cannot do much. It's simplistic to the point of detracting from the experience to think that a driver that is not that showmanship but not a true gentleman could

Now if you were to implement some kind of charisma system with more than two opposing parameters, that could be a thing.

F1 2021 have this Focus system now. Let's see what it can bring to the table. It is more interesting and relatable to me than a inherently faulty dyadic shenanigan. That's just my opinion though, mate! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If I could overhaul the system, I would make the stats valuable to the player too and establishing a background for the career, and that would help with expectations from each team and rd production.

Also make money not just perk sink, but earn it with personal sponsorship (we already have a list) which you could even enter a team as a pay driver if needed to help with infrastructure development.

While those ideas might be crazy, it can show how deep the mode can go if coddie wants. For now, it looks like an alternative method of myteam

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hichel18 said:

If I could overhaul the system, I would make the stats valuable to the player too and establishing a background for the career, and that would help with expectations from each team and rd production.

Also make money not just perk sink, but earn it with personal sponsorship (we already have a list) which you could even enter a team as a pay driver if needed to help with infrastructure development.

While those ideas might be crazy, it can show how deep the mode can go if coddie wants. For now, it looks like an alternative method of myteam

For me it just needs heaps of immersion poured onto it, lol. It can have all the systems in the world but if off track is just you in that same office with the same faces and the same red car that really should have been towed by now it loses interest pretty quick for me. 

We used to have the mobile offices or whatever, that would have the backdrop of the current GP, people would talk to you in person, if you spoke to the engineers they had their own area you would visit. These things might be seen as just window dressing but at least it helped the world feel alive. I would put so much more of this in, yes more silly interviews, but have them on the F1 stages like they do in real life, perhaps some jostles with your 'rival' before an important race. There's lots that could be done but it's all just read emails, go to race, read emails, go to race, it's gotten very stale IMO

  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, v12vanquish135 said:

That would be a way to improve it, yes. You answered your own question.

Haha well I guess? If we are to consider a truck just an improved bullock cart?

My point is that the system is inherently faulty as it opposes showmanship and sportsmanship as poles in a linear scale when those attributes are not opposites like light and darkness or whatever. It's like playing FIFA and finding players rated solely on a -10 to +10 scale from Tackling Like Maldini (-10) to Shooting like Ronaldo (+10). Makes no sense and there's no way to do justice to players like Pirlo, Pogba or heck even David Luiz, that are better than most on both attributes simultaneously.

Now a rating system like we find in FIFA do have tackling and shooting attributes... And a myriad others. And you can have players that are great at both defending and shooting.

Is FIFA's player ratings just an "improved" version of the hypothetical dyadic Tackler-Shooter system? I wouldn't say that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, marioho said:

Haha well I guess? If we are to consider a truck just an improved bullock cart?

My point is that the system is inherently faulty as it opposes showmanship and sportsmanship as poles in a linear scale when those attributes are not opposites like light and darkness or whatever. It's like playing FIFA and finding players rated solely on a -10 to +10 scale from Tackling Like Maldini (-10) to Shooting like Ronaldo (+10). Makes no sense and there's no way to do justice to players like Pirlo, Pogba or heck even David Luiz, that are better than most on both attributes simultaneously.

Now a rating system like we find in FIFA do have tackling and shooting attributes... And a myriad others. And you can have players that are great at both defending and shooting.

Is FIFA's player ratings just an "improved" version of the hypothetical dyadic Tackler-Shooter system? I wouldn't say that.

I think you're missing my point. Improving the sportsmanship/showmanship mechanic does not forcibly mean "keep it exclusively as a binary function". But if you want a system to have some kind of stats like that in the game, it does need improvement over the binary system, like you're saying. Instead it was cut out completely and not replaced by anything.

Also, you seem to be comparing sportsmanship and showmanship to like, tackling and shooting (in F1 it would be closer to overtaking and defending). Those are actual statistics of a driver during the race, while the two attributes we're discussing were more like your media image, not really anything to do with how you actually drive the car. I'm not sure the comparison is fair.

But still, the point is if a system is introduced and it's clumsy and not really good, improve the system, or replace it by something better. Don't cut it out completely along with tons of other features without putting back anything in. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, v12vanquish135 said:

Also, you seem to be comparing sportsmanship and showmanship to like, tackling and shooting (in F1 it would be closer to overtaking and defending). Those are actual statistics of a driver during the race, while the two attributes we're discussing were more like your media image, not really anything to do with how you actually drive the car. I'm not sure the comparison is fair.

But still, the point is if a system is introduced and it's clumsy and not really good, improve the system, or replace it by something better. Don't cut it out completely along with tons of other features without putting back anything in. 

The comparison is odd to highlight how odd the system itself was. Showmanship and sportsmanship are not opposites.

Which brings us back to my original point, just flavor with no sustenance - hence why I did not care it was simply dropped.

And if it was a mere meter going right or left depending on our answers to the media, now we've got our answers affecting our various departments' morale and drivers' "focus". That's way more relatable and meaningful the old thing ever was.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...