Jump to content Jump to content

Thrustmaster T500RS Steering Wheel PS5 not working

Jose337

Hi there,

I have an issue with my Thrustmaster T500RS wheel. I can´t connect it with the game on the PS5.
I also tried it with the F1 Wheel add-on without success.

On the PS4 it is working.

Any idea how I can connect this wheel in the PS5 game?

Thanks

42 minutes ago, Jose337 said:

Hi there,

I have an issue with my Thrustmaster T500RS wheel. I can´t connect it with the game on the PS5.
I also tried it with the F1 Wheel add-on without success.

On the PS4 it is working.

Any idea how I can connect this wheel in the PS5 game?

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for reporting your issue. However, we do need a complete bug report to gain all the details needed to replicate and troubleshoot your issue. Please copy and paste the template from the below and fill in the answers.

https://forums.codemasters.com/topic/79610-bug-reporting-template-all-modes/

Providing this information is vital for Codemasters to be able to investigate, replicate and hopefully solve your issue. Without this, we don't have the necessary information to replicate and diagnose the issue.
Many thanks

Codemasters Forum Team

F1® 2021 | Supported Wheels and Controllers - F1® 2021 Game Forum - Codemasters Community

Hi Steviejay69,

please find answered questions below:

• A detailed description of the issue.
    • It seems that the wheel Thrustmaster T500RS and also the T500 F1 Add-on is not supported on the PS5. Whenever I connect it to the PS5 and start the game the system did not recognize the wheel. T
  • Report Code
    • none
  • Platform?
    • PS5
  • Game-mode?
    • all modes
  • [ONLINE] The amount of players in your session? If you know the players forum username, please tag as many people who were in your session here.
    • none
  • [ONLINE] Were you the host?
    • none
  • What troubleshooting have you tried? Please list everything you tried.
    • Connect and disconnect during the game; plug in and disconnect before starting the game. 
    • Played the game on PS4 - surprisingly wheel works from the beginning!!
  • Any screenshots or video of the issue? Remember to add as unlisted if video via a third party. 
    • no
  • How do you make the problem happen? Please add a step-by-step guide here so we can replicate and get reported as quick as possible.
    • As explained, no Thrustmaster T500RS wheel support at all on platform PS5!

Hi Jose337it's normal as the T500 base is not compatible with PS5 Games = you can use the T500 on PS5 but only with PS4 Games.

Only these Thrustmaster Bases are compatible with PS5 Games : T-GT / T300 / T150 / T80.

Only official PS4 wheels can works with PS5 games: https://www.bsimracing.com/thrustmaster-wheels-ps5-and-xbox-series-x-compatibility-confirmed/

T500 is very old and is a PS3 official wheel (not official PS4 and so not works on PS5 games).

Hi @JeffLais!

OK it is not the newest wheel, but i am wondering why it is working on ps4 and not on ps5 - it's the same game. I dont want to spend money for a wheel 'every' year. Ironically I am playing F1 2021 on my old PS4 instead of the new PS5 now.

Btw: What wheel would you suggest to be ready for existing and coming platforms then? It seems that there are not many wheels officially supported for PS5 yet...

Edited by Jose337

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/19/2021 at 5:46 PM, Jose337 said:

OK it is not the newest wheel, but i am wondering why it is working on ps4 and not on ps5 - it's the same game.

F1 2020 was the same game on both consoles but F1 2021 is not. There is now a PS5-specific version rather than just a PS4 version that the PS5 is back compatible with.

6 hours ago, Ultra3142 said:

F1 2020 was the same game on both consoles but F1 2021 is not. There is now a PS5-specific version rather than just a PS4 version that the PS5 is back compatible with.

OK then it is not the same game, but at least the input programming should be the same. Anyway I would be happy if it will be applied with one of your next patches Codemasters!

7 hours ago, sbEdge said:

I've reported thus bug too a few weeks ago and had no response. A few people have said the wheel us not compatible but it is listed as a compatible wheel on PS5. An official answer either way would be great. 

good to know that somebody else has the same problem!

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Jose337 said:

OK then it is not the same game, but at least the input programming should be the same. Anyway I would be happy if it will be applied with one of your next patches Codemasters!

I hope this can be sorted but be aware it may not be possible. For info. at present there is an issue that microphones work with the PS4 version of F1 2021 on PS5 but not with the PS5 version of the game. Based on what has been posted it appears this may be a limitation on Sony's side rather than Codemasters, and it's certainly conceivable that there may be a similar issue with your wheel. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
Hello good afternoon,
I have the same problem, I have the F1 2021 for ps4 and ps5, both games I tested them on the ps5 and the problem that it does not recognize the t500 only appears on the ps5, but if I put the F1 from ps4 on ps5 the t500 works without problem, so it makes me think that the problem is not the ps5 but the game as such, has someone already found the solution for this?
Greetings.
Edited by Marcg9514

Hello good afternoon,

I have the same problem, I have the F1 2021 for ps4 and ps5, both games I tested them on the ps5 and the problem that it does not recognize the t500 only appears on the ps5, but if I put the F1 from ps4 on ps5 the t500 works without problem, so it makes me think that the problem is not the ps5 but the game as such, has someone already found the solution for this?

Greetings.

Hello good afternoon,

Greetings.

• 2 weeks later...

Ja mir geht es auch so und ich bin empört das ein Premiumlenkrad, was erst am Ende der PS3-Zeit erschienen ist, wo auch alle schon nach der Kompatibilität zur PS4 gefragt haben, nun lapidar als PS3-Gerät abgetan wird. Das T500RS ist noch heute besser als alle anderen PS4/5 Lenkräder außer vielleicht der T-GT I/II Modelle und es wäre wirklich enttäuschend es uns für die PS5 mit ihren Spielen zu nehmen da es sich ja mit einem Update regeln lassen sollte. Und übrigens habe ich auch einen T-GT II, aber das geniale T500RS will ich nicht verlieren... Und es werden viele sein und sich hier und überall Fans dieses Lenkrades melden, denen es auch so geht wie uns! Auch Thrustmaster beweißt Größe und macht Eure treuen Fans glücklich😊 

Edited by NITROHEAD

On 1/5/2022 at 11:39 PM, Marcg9514 said:

Hello good afternoon,

Greetings.

The game works on ps5 in ps4 mode as the console emulates a ps4 and the t500 is supported on ps4, t500 was never licensed bu sony so wont work on native ps5 games.

the t500 is a 12 year old base and thrustmaster have several other wheels they chose to pay sony to get a license and have supported by so y for the ps5

i said in a previous post that on this that people with t500 should look at other servo/wheelbases that are ps5 compatible moving foreword  

On 8/12/2021 at 2:58 PM, Ultra3142 said:

I hope this can be sorted but be aware it may not be possible. For info. at present there is an issue that microphones work with the PS4 version of F1 2021 on PS5 but not with the PS5 version of the game. Based on what has been posted it appears this may be a limitation on Sony's side rather than Codemasters, and it's certainly conceivable that there may be a similar issue with your wheel. 

It is purely a limitation on the console OS side of things, both Microsoft and Sony create this same issue time and time again. Its even worse in Sony's case, as they still use Direct input. Which is what EVERYTHING used prior to the Xbox and Xinput. PC games often have the abilty to use both, which is why older wheels and controllers tend to still work on the PC side of things. As long as the devs enable support for them in the game directly. On the console side however, its all OS side, and both Sony and Microsoft dictate what can and can not be used. Often only relenting if a licensing fee is paid to them. Its a model that seriously needs to be ditched, and why pretty much every single racing game I buy is on the PC.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Ialyrn said:

It is purely a limitation on the console OS side of things

A PS5 is surely running the same OS whether playing a PS5 or PS4 game, so I'm not sure it's completely obvious that this is true. Exactly what the cause is doesn't really make any practical difference to the consumer though.

1 hour ago, Ultra3142 said:

A PS5 is surely running the same OS whether playing a PS5 or PS4 game, so I'm not sure it's completely obvious that this is true. Exactly what the cause is doesn't really make any practical difference to the consumer though.

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/support/games/ps5-backward-compatibility-games/

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/10/09/ps4-games-on-ps5-your-top-questions-answered/

the fact sony states "Although many PS4 games are playable on PS5 consoles, some functionalities that were available on the PS4 console may not be available on PS5 consoles. In addition, some PS4 games may exhibit errors or unexpected behaviour when played on PS5 consoles."

and also 
"
Games that are only playable on PS4 will be noted on PlayStation Store as playable on “PS4 only.” We have a list of games that are only playable on PS4"

just proves the ps5 is emulating the ps4 otherwise you would be able to play all the ps4 games and have access to all the features a ps4 would on the ps5.

regardless of this the t500 isn't ps5 compatible as thrustmaster never got sony to license it for the ps5 and doesnt work with any ps5 game nativly, codemasters doesnt list it as a supported controller for ps5 for the game because of this. the t500 was licensed for the ps4 so works on the ps4 version regardless of the console and therefore is listed as a supported controller by codemasters. 

people need to understand that this wheelbase is end of life and thrustmaster arnt supporting it moving forward, even the newest SF1000 rim wont work with it and didnt want to pay sony to license a wheelbase that was released in 2010 for the ps3 to make it work on the ps5 when they have 4 wheelbases that do work the t150, t248, t300 & t-gt 1/2. 

simple fact is if you own the t500 and plan on playing ps5 games with it then you will need a new servo base or look at playing on pc with it becasue sooner or later ps4 version of games wont be made as older consoles are discontinued and support is reduced or stopped all together

34 minutes ago, cearp8858 said:

just proves the ps5 is emulating the ps4 otherwise you would be able to play all the ps4 games and have access to all the features a ps4 would on the ps5.

No I don't see that. You could equally argue a PS5 is NOT fully emulating a PS4, or everything would work. Note all I queried above was that this was an OS difference - there obviously are differences.

For info, when playing a PS4 game on PS5, all the regular PS5 UI features still work. It's not like it's in some sort of obvious emulation mode. The vast majority of PS4 games play seamlessly on PS5s by the way. There are a very small number that have issues.

As I said above, I don't think any of this makes a practical difference to players though.

Edited by Ultra3142

On 1/15/2022 at 3:21 PM, Ultra3142 said:

Im not saying there are not differences in the operating software. What i am saying, is that both microsoft and sony have the ability to add functionality for any usb peripheral they want. The reason they dont however, is all down to wanting to charge a license fee to peripheral manufacturers.

It does make a massive difference to the consumer though, as the consumer with each new console generation, have to go out and buy all new game controllers and peripherals to work on the new consoles.

The xbox series s and x is a very strange situation, as it is the first time Microsoft have allowed full backwards and forwards compatibility with all currently licensed usb and wireless peripherals.

But both companies can do more than this, as they both have the power to unlock such a restriction and allow all wheels, gamepads and flight sticks to work. They just dont because money.

Edited by Ialyrn

Oh my, this has been pointed out many many times.

The T500 is a PS3 wheel, licensed by Sony because Thrustmaster have to pay for the licence. If you own the hardware, someone already bought it and Thrustmaster had their money long ago. Thrustmaster is a business. They have newer product with improved features that they have licensed to work on PS5. Buy it. They are not likely to pay the licence fee to Sony to enable the T500 to work with the PS5 because to do so would be commercial suicide. They offset the license cost against the hardware you buy. I believe the PS3 was released in 2006, the T500 in 2010 and the PS4 in 2013. You don't play on a PS3, so why expect to play on a T500?

The PS5 uses different hardware to the PS4 (you'd hope so). If a game accesses the hardware directly, it's emulated on different hardware. Emulation is not an exact science.

There is a hardware difference that prevents some games being emulated properly on PS5. PS4 versions of the games are emulated on PS5 and native on PS4. A T500 works on PS4 because it is licensed and supported. You can't have PS5 enhancements in a PS4 game. It plays as best as it can on a PS4. The T500 is not licensed for PS5, the code is not present as it would contravene license.

Sony released the PS5 because gamers want it. Sony and the gamer is the issue. You can't ask Codemasters to support or expect Thrustmaster to pay. The world has moved on since 2010.

• Disagree 1

As it happens the principle reason I bought a PS5 rather than an XSX is so that I could continue to use my existing Thrustmaster wheel, so I can see it could actually be in Sony's interests to add PS5 support for the T500. Which is not to say that I'm expecting to see it.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, steviejay69 said:

Oh my, this has been pointed out many many times.

The T500 is a PS3 wheel, licensed by Sony because Thrustmaster have to pay for the licence. If you own the hardware, someone already bought it and Thrustmaster had their money long ago. Thrustmaster is a business. They have newer product with improved features that they have licensed to work on PS5. Buy it. They are not likely to pay the licence fee to Sony to enable the T500 to work with the PS5 because to do so would be commercial suicide. They offset the license cost against the hardware you buy. I believe the PS3 was released in 2006, the T500 in 2010 and the PS4 in 2013. You don't play on a PS3, so why expect to play on a T500?

The PS5 uses different hardware to the PS4 (you'd hope so). If a game accesses the hardware directly, it's emulated on different hardware. Emulation is not an exact science.

There is a hardware difference that prevents some games being emulated properly on PS5. PS4 versions of the games are emulated on PS5 and native on PS4. A T500 works on PS4 because it is licensed and supported. You can't have PS5 enhancements in a PS4 game. It plays as best as it can on a PS4. The T500 is not licensed for PS5, the code is not present as it would contravene license.

Sony released the PS5 because gamers want it. Sony and the gamer is the issue. You can't ask Codemasters to support or expect Thrustmaster to pay. The world has moved on since 2010.

Steve, ive not once said codemasters should support the wheel, this isnt their fault and i didnt remotely say it was. Nor did i say that Thrustmaster should pay a license fee for the t500.

What i did say and allude to, is that both Microsoft and Sony practice built in obsolescence and corporate greed by locking out not only usb racing wheels, but any and all usb game control peripherals. Which includes gamepads, wheels and flight sticks.

The fundamentals of these devices have not changed in over 2 decades. There is no reason or limitation for them to be held behind a paywall on consoles.

Yes, companies are companies and they exist to make money. They will use anything they can to make more money. That doesnt make it right 

To use the argument that advances in tech have been made, software and hardware has changed. Yeh, it has

But when i can plug in my old microsoft sidewinder force feedback from 2 decades ago into the usb port on my windows 11 gaming pc, and use it in racing games in 2022. 

Or use my equally old logitech extreme 3d pro flight stick in modern flight games also on my windows 11 based pc. Its a little bit telling.

Things have changed in a lot of places in gaming. But a flight stick is still a flight stick, a game pad is a game pad, and a racing wheel is still a racing wheel.

And the only reason none of the massive amount of game controllers out in the wild cant be used on playststion and xbox, is purely corporate greed

The xbox software is based on windows, microsoft have at their disposal the biggest repository of device drivers in existence.

The playststion uses direct input. Which every single non xbox based controller/wheel/flight stick uses.

Both companies could have this stuff working on their hardware if they really wanted to.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Ultra3142 said:

As it happens the principle reason I bought a PS5 rather than an XSX is so that I could continue to use my existing Thrustmaster wheel, so I can see it could actually be in Sony's interests to add PS5 support for the T500. Which is not to say that I'm expecting to see it.

No, I wouldn't expect it. T80/T150/T300 are Thrustmaster "validated" on PS5 and T248/T-GT II are Sony licensed. Thrustmaster don't make the T500 and haven't for over seven years.

2 hours ago, Ialyrn said:

Steve, ive not once said codemasters should support the wheel, this isnt their fault and i didnt remotely say it was. Nor did i say that Thrustmaster should pay a license fee for the t500.

What i did say and allude to, is that both Microsoft and Sony practice built in obsolescence and corporate greed by locking out not only usb racing wheels, but any and all usb game control peripherals. Which includes gamepads, wheels and flight sticks.

The fundamentals of these devices have not changed in over 2 decades. There is no reason or limitation for them to be held behind a paywall on consoles.

Yes, companies are companies and they exist to make money. They will use anything they can to make more money. That doesnt make it right 

To use the argument that advances in tech have been made, software and hardware has changed. Yeh, it has

But when i can plug in my old microsoft sidewinder force feedback from 2 decades ago into the usb port on my windows 11 gaming pc, and use it in racing games in 2022. 

Or use my equally old logitech extreme 3d pro flight stick in modern flight games also on my windows 11 based pc. Its a little bit telling.

Things have changed in a lot of places in gaming. But a flight stick is still a flight stick, a game pad is a game pad, and a racing wheel is still a racing wheel.

And the only reason none of the massive amount of game controllers out in the wild cant be used on playststion and xbox, is purely corporate greed

The xbox software is based on windows, microsoft have at their disposal the biggest repository of device drivers in existence.

The playststion uses direct input. Which every single non xbox based controller/wheel/flight stick uses.

Both companies could have this stuff working on their hardware if they really wanted to.

Agreed. 

But there is no compelling reason for either.