Jump to content Jump to content

Thrustmaster T500RS Steering Wheel PS5 not working

Jose337

10 hours ago, steviejay69 said:

Agreed. 

But there is no compelling reason for either.

The only really compelling reason to do it, would be to appease the community. Which would garner more good feeling towards their company and potentially boost sales. But they would equally lose money from not charging a license fee.

So it really becomes a catch 22 situation.

3 hours ago, Ialyrn said:

The only really compelling reason to do it, would be to appease the community. Which would garner more good feeling towards their company and potentially boost sales. But they would equally lose money from not charging a license fee.

So it really becomes a catch 22 situation.

In my experience, good feeling does not not equate to a purchase. I think in the end a T500 owner should think "this unit has served me well for 9-12 years when I expected 6". If the owner has bought 2nd hand then they are likely to do so again, zero net benefit to the company.

2 hours ago, steviejay69 said:

In my experience, good feeling does not not equate to a purchase. I think in the end a T500 owner should think "this unit has served me well for 9-12 years when I expected 6". If the owner has bought 2nd hand then they are likely to do so again, zero net benefit to the company.

Again, not talking about Thrustmaster, talking about Sony and Microsoft blocking usb peripherals in order to get a license fee in the first place.

There is no benifit to Thrustmaster, but equally, they shouldn't be forced into a situation where they have to pay a license fee at all anyway. Neither should logitech, fanatec, or any other company that makes game control devices. 

They all function identically. No matter if you are using them on a windows pc, linux pc, mac, or games console.

But as i keep saying, sony and Microsoft both force the issue in order to collect their money. And give arbitrary reasons as to why it should be this way.

Take the ps4 controller for instance. There is no viable reason why it couldnt be used in ps5 games. Yes, the ps5 controller has the new triggers and a few other improvements. But the core functionality is exactly the same. The button presses do exactly the same thing.

My comments on this situation arnt towards the 3rd party companies that make the peripherals, but both Sony and Microsofts way of handling 3rd party peripherals on their respective platforms.

The fact Microsoft have full backwards and forwards compatibility with xbox one and series s/x controllers is an unusual move.

But i refuse to pat them on the back when they can do so much more. Same for Sony.

This is why most of the racing and flight games i play are in pc, as i can use pretty much any usb controller i like and dont have to deal with how limited gaming on console can still be.

1 minute ago, Ialyrn said:

Again, not talking about Thrustmaster, talking about Sony and Microsoft blocking usb peripherals in order to get a license fee in the first place.

There is no benifit to Thrustmaster, but equally, they shouldn't be forced into a situation where they have to pay a license fee at all anyway. Neither should logitech, fanatec, or any other company that makes game control devices. 

They all function identically. No matter if you are using them on a windows pc, linux pc, mac, or games console.

But as i keep saying, sony and Microsoft both force the issue in order to collect their money. And give arbitrary reasons as to why it should be this way.

Take the ps4 controller for instance. There is no viable reason why it couldnt be used in ps5 games. Yes, the ps5 controller has the new triggers and a few other improvements. But the core functionality is exactly the same. The button presses do exactly the same thing.

My comments on this situation arnt towards the 3rd party companies that make the peripherals, but both Sony and Microsofts way of handling 3rd party peripherals on their respective platforms.

The fact Microsoft have full backwards and forwards compatibility with xbox one and series s/x controllers is an unusual move.

But i refuse to pat them on the back when they can do so much more. Same for Sony.

This is why most of the racing and flight games i play are in pc, as i can use pretty much any usb controller i like and dont have to deal with how limited gaming on console can still be.

I think I'm in agreement with you to be fair. Codemasters can't break that agreement because it's between Sony and Thrustmaster.

But yes, to those of you wanting bang for buck with your T500, it's still updated and supported in W10 until 2025. (I can't imagine why it would not work in W11, just like my TS-PC).

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everbody!

Finally I bought the new wheel base Thrustmaster T-GT II.
I am not telling you that this is a good solution, but it is the best way for me for keeping the old stuff (wheels & pedals) and make it workable for PS5.

At least this works and is compatible.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Jose337 said:

Hi everbody!

Finally I bought the new wheel base Thrustmaster T-GT II.
I am not telling you that this is a good solution, but it is the best way for me for keeping the old stuff (wheels & pedals) and make it workable for PS5.

At least this works and is compatible.

Be great if you put your thoughts on the T-GT II vs the T500 in the General Chat but link here. Don't forget to update the wheelbase on a PC too. They don't all ship with the latest firmware.

On 1/17/2022 at 8:26 AM, steviejay69 said:

This doesn't make sense. Is like saying that Mercedes Benz should stop supporting cars that are 9-12 years old. If they still work correctly why should they be  thrown to the trash? It's the same with my T500, if it is working perfectly why should I buy a new one? just because they don't want to pay the license for PS5? That's not fair.

7 hours ago, MCDC08 said:

This doesn't make sense. Is like saying that Mercedes Benz should stop supporting cars that are 9-12 years old. If they still work correctly why should they be  thrown to the trash? It's the same with my T500, if it is working perfectly why should I buy a new one? just because they don't want to pay the license for PS5? That's not fair.

Yes it is sense. Thrustmaster aren’t the devil in this case, Sony and Microsoft are.

At the sake of repeating myself, it’s not a sound business model. Licensing a wheel that was sold for  other older consoles at additional cost without additional sales? There won’t be wheels to buy.

You bought the console (subsidised at a hardware cost to encourage adoption and purchase of all the new services and peripherals) because you wanted it. Third parties have a hard time because the shelf life of the console is what it is.

Your PS3 and PS4 still work. Why buy a new console?

8 hours ago, MCDC08 said:

You have obviously never earned a Mercedes Benz either 🙂 I do and I can tell you there are limitations!

7 hours ago, steviejay69 said:

At the sake of repeating myself, it’s not a sound business model. Licensing a wheel that was sold for  other older consoles at additional cost without additional sales? There won’t be wheels to buy.

This is a very flawed view Steve.

As pointed out last time, none of this licensing rubbish happens on PC; and it shouldnt happen on consoles either. People on PC still buy/upgrade their game controller and sim peripherals, even though the hardware behind them hasnt really changed in those 2 decades. I had a fully working G27 and bought a G920, I also changed out to a T300 with 2 fully functional Logitech wheels to hand. So to say people wont change their hardware, and products wont exist, is completely wrong.

Force feedback wheels still function the same as they always have done. Even the G923 with its "trueforce" addition. Which is a software only change, one that Logitech could apply to any of their wheels if they wanted to.

Just because a company tries to make it seem like newer is better, in regards to game control peripherals, that is very rarely the case.

It is good you now agree it is a Sony/Microsoft issue, and hopefully one day they will remove that practice.

They can still do "licensed" versions of wheels for Forza and GT branding, just like how Thrustmaster do Ferrari licensed versions of their wheels for all platforms. But they really should stop locking out the niche hardware behind a paywall on their consoles.

Microsoft and Sony only make money on the specific licensing for these peripherals, they dont make money on the individual sales. And that licensing cost is always put on the end user by Logitech, fanatec and Thrustmaster. And they make money hand over fist from people buying their peripherals for use on PC.

Thrustmaster by far have the best wheel ecosystem, since they support their old hardware the longest with both drivers and firmware. I dont blame Thrustmaster for finally dropping driver/firmware support for the T500 with new hardware, it is over 10 years old at this point. But it still remains a fully working, fully functional, and fully supported wheel in games on the PC side of the spectrum. Even in the PC version of F1 2021. I imagine it will also be supported in PC version of F1 2022 when it releases, just like how the Logitech G25 and driving force pro is still supported in F1 2021. The G25 released in 2006, and the driving force pro is even older than that.

This licensing stuff also happens on other items too, like USB hard drives. A 4tb USB3 xbox branded seagate drive costs £100. An unbranded unlicensed USB3 hard drive, also from seagate is on average £20 cheaper, and still works on the xbox.

Razer made an xbox licensed keyboard and mouse pack that costs £230, yet any cheap USB mouse and keyboard will still work on the system. As Microsoft added system wide support for both, and then they leave in game compatibility to the individual game devs. This is how it should be done on consoles, just as it is on PC. It shows that Microsoft and Sony, when they want to. Can add USB support for anything they want, and still have licensed and unlicensed versions working on the system.

Edited by Ialyrn

1 hour ago, Ialyrn said:

This is a very flawed view Steve.

As pointed out last time, none of this licensing rubbish happens on PC; and it shouldnt happen on consoles either. People on PC still buy/upgrade their game controller and sim peripherals, even though the hardware behind them hasnt really changed in those 2 decades. I had a fully working G27 and bought a G920, I also changed out to a T300 with 2 fully functional Logitech wheels to hand. So to say people wont change their hardware, and products wont exist, is completely wrong.

Force feedback wheels still function the same as they always have done. Even the G923 with its "trueforce" addition. Which is a software only change, one that Logitech could apply to any of their wheels if they wanted to.

Just because a company tries to make it seem like newer is better, in regards to game control peripherals, that is very rarely the case.

It is good you now agree it is a Sony/Microsoft issue, and hopefully one day they will remove that practice.

They can still do "licensed" versions of wheels for Forza and GT branding, just like how Thrustmaster do Ferrari licensed versions of their wheels for all platforms. But they really should stop locking out the niche hardware behind a paywall on their consoles.

Microsoft and Sony only make money on the specific licensing for these peripherals, they dont make money on the individual sales. And that licensing cost is always put on the end user by Logitech, fanatec and Thrustmaster. And they make money hand over fist from people buying their peripherals for use on PC.

Thrustmaster by far have the best wheel ecosystem, since they support their old hardware the longest with both drivers and firmware. I dont blame Thrustmaster for finally dropping driver/firmware support for the T500 with new hardware, it is over 10 years old at this point. But it still remains a fully working, fully functional, and fully supported wheel in games on the PC side of the spectrum. Even in the PC version of F1 2021. I imagine it will also be supported in PC version of F1 2022 when it releases, just like how the Logitech G25 and driving force pro is still supported in F1 2021. The G25 released in 2006, and the driving force pro is even older than that.

This licensing stuff also happens on other items too, like USB hard drives. A 4tb USB3 xbox branded seagate drive costs £100. An unbranded unlicensed USB3 hard drive, also from seagate is on average £20 cheaper, and still works on the xbox.

Razer made an xbox licensed keyboard and mouse pack that costs £230, yet any cheap USB mouse and keyboard will still work on the system. As Microsoft added system wide support for both, and then they leave in game compatibility to the individual game devs. This is how it should be done on consoles, just as it is on PC. It shows that Microsoft and Sony, when they want to. Can add USB support for anything they want, and still have licensed and unlicensed versions working on the system.

TL:DR - we are talking about consoles. The T500 works on PC (in this game in a fashion). I stopped at the second line.

23 minutes ago, steviejay69 said:

TL:DR - we are talking about consoles. The T500 works on PC (in this game in a fashion). I stopped at the second line.

This is a really unnecessary comment Steve, and very baiting and troll like.

If you are not interested in a discussion/debate on this subject, then it really didnt need a reply at all.

Honestly, it is very unbecoming for someone normally as helpful and informative as you usually are around here.

1 minute ago, Ialyrn said:

This is a really unnecessary comment Steve, and very baiting and troll like.

If you are not interested in a discussion/debate on this subject, then it really didnt need a reply at all.

Honestly, it is very unbecoming for someone normally as helpful and informative as you usually are around here.

I think we already both put what we wanted to say earlier up the thread. I haven't changed my view at all, merely extended it to someone else who was asking the same "why does it not work" question. Asked and answered, but people don't read the thread upwards, obviously.

I've no axe to grind, I trust you haven't really changed your view either, so who's trolling who? 🙂