Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Team Meeting - Dnote's Notes

Impressive post from @Dnote . Hopefully this is the start of the development and improvement of the game. I would agree with the earlier post that we need to get 15 firing on all cylinders first as 16 is likely to be an evolution in real life F1. The next big step forward can wait til 17 when F1 itself will probably have hugely different rules.

One of the big things for me has always been the league's and none of those I have been involved with have been able to kick off and the forums for these league's are pretty barren right now! With pCars and F6 out and in a better state (I can't speak to F6 but pCars is improving steadily and they ain't got to sell us a game next year) right now its going to be hard to bring a lot of people back for 16 if all trust has been lost with 15. If enough of us are happy with 15 and how it develops over the next few months then we can bring them back. Its a big If right now.

Thanks @Dnote for this announcement. However, I wonder if this game could destroy Codemasters' and F1's partnership reputation. Games are going down in quality, and this game has been an absolute shambles. So much so that this is the first time that our league has had to indefinitely postpone racing. Many people say PS4 is the best for online, which is incredible because the awful synchronisation on the game means we can't race. Hearing that we have to wait for XB1's long, long, long awaited patch means that it looks like most of us will be better off selling the game. Question is, is there any point in us trusting Codies anymore? Communication is poor (look at Codemasters and Formula1game on twitter, no tweets in weeks) and long wait times for patches to fix what is unquestionably an disgraceful mess of a game release!

Excuses? Perhaps, but it is more to provide you with information/insight as we know you will vote with your wallet regardless of what we say, so delivering the game you want is what we must aim to do, but being more open, more transparent and more engaged with you, that is hard for us and it will take time to get to where we need to be when it comes down to communication and community involvement.

Do you guys not see what's going on here?  Every time Codemasters creates a thread like this it is because they are trying to wash their hands and smooth over the community.  The sad part is that some of you are actually eating this up.  Everything the Dnote writes sounds more like, "Ok, we know we messed up but it is what is is.  We will try and do better next year".  

NOTHING better will become of F1 2015.  For those thinking the game will get better please don't hold your breath.  All their resource is now focused on adding a crap  career mode and safety car to 2015 and calling it F1 2016.  FOM will be looking at the big name studios for 2017 and onwards.  Codemasters is too small of a studio to have such an expensive license.  

It makes perfect sense now.  Release Dirt Rally early so they can hear what the community wants because it will be the only game they produce, maybe they will make new Grid for next gen.  But, I know the higher ups at Codemaster know that their F1 era of crap games has ended, they just aren't saying anything.  

I give Codemasters and Dnote the benefit of the doubt regarding F1 2015.

I think you will succeed (and celebrate...?) if the game is finally working close to perfect on september 30th. That gives you another 2 weeks and a half to do so. The leagues have not started yet for PC because Multiplayer is not working well enough. If the leagues are able to start early october that would be a victory for all..

Bobino12 said:
I give Codemasters and Dnote the benefit of the doubt regarding F1 2015.

I think you will succeed (and celebrate...?) if the game is finally working close to perfect on september 30th. That gives you another 2 weeks and a half to do so. The leagues have not started yet for PC because Multiplayer is not working well enough. If the leagues are able to start early october that would be a victory for all..
I truly would be celebrating and I truly would be the first in line to congratulate them, but my confidence in this company has been seriously diminished.

Dnote said:
...As for what others have said before.. actions speak louder than words, judge me on what I deliver, not on what others have failed to deliver.

I will. We've heard (half-hearted) apologies & (vague) commitments many times before, but what's always been missing is the follow-through. I appreciate what you've said & done here so far, and I'll keep an eye out for you to deliver on what you say.

What's missing in all this is time frames and the expectation. Every project or task you work on there is always an expected end time and expected results and we are not getting any of that !

PCotgrave said:
Its a common thing these days for games to be released with bugs / glitches / issues etc, look at Microsoft's 343i effort for the Halo MCC release, now that was a big balls up.

For me, its not the above.

I'm new to the franchise, I've enjoyed the game in parts, for me what has let the setup down has been the communication.

That has lacked and we all hope this is the start of a new beginning.

IMHO we don't need devs' coming onto the forums and taking up hours of their time to answer the questions; do what others do and "employ" volunteers to monitor the forums, being the eyes and ears from the community then have a SPOC so one person can go to a particular person at CM and get the answers and in turn, feedback to us.

Hopefully that'll be yourself and we can all move on and enjoy the game!

Thanks for the update!

Unfortunately I think it's that kind of thinking that has put CM in the mess it is currently in. So  things definitely need to change.

SaeidJ said:
What's missing in all this is time frames and the expectation. Every project or task you work on there is always an expected end time and expected results and we are not getting any of that !

Part of this is because I won't make any promises, but also because it is game development, where things are estimated and the actual time a task takes isn't known until it is finished.

We've had a dozen different dates for the Xbox One patch, we've not hit a single one of them because regardless of our intentions some of the issues have proven harder to fix than initially expected (or introduced other issues that then had to be fixed as well).

We can obviously give you the estimates, but in the past that has been done and they've moved and it's just caused more anger and frustration, so we're reluctant to do that.

If you can deliver on those things listed the community will be  happier place EVEN if the game is still bugged.  You will get more support and importantly understanding.  As for passionate developers this is something I agree with but le their passion shine through let them explain to people that they have done a damn good job let them say yeah I dropped the ball on that as I did not see that as a side effect.  It is a bloody hard job and they do try their best despite what numptys say on here (who have no comprehension of  how complex games engines are!)

Finally @Dnote thankyou for shedding some light on our struggle! Hopefully the situation gets sorted and the f1 franchise can live up to its potential!!!!!  
Really enjoy the game wen it works,had some fantastic races with my buddies.
Look forward to seeing some fresh sticky posts and hopefully less bitching ;) 

I help run a league on xb1 and if we can help in anyway we sure will. 

Good luck matey 

F1 2015 has the most enjoyable gameplay out of all Codemasters F1 games and the AI are among the best AI I've seen in a racing game. I'm on PS4 and I've had no major issues, maybe some people have but some people are acting as if this is the worst F1 game ever when it is far from it. I don't see anything new being brought into 2015, not much point really. Focus on 16 as soon as possible.

I think Codemasters have done a private showing and playing of the game in 2011 or 2012, people had to sign NDAs. It has happened before so maybe it can happen again.

Thanks for the greatpost @Dnote . Community managers have said some of what you said before and not much came of it so hopefully this time will be different. Your line on judging you on what you do and not what others have done will be remembered!

Dnote said:
SaeidJ said:

Part of this is because I won't make any promises, but also because it is game development, where things are estimated and the actual time a task takes isn't known until it is finished.

We've had a dozen different dates for the Xbox One patch, we've not hit a single one of them because regardless of our intentions some of the issues have proven harder to fix than initially expected (or introduced other issues that then had to be fixed as well).

We can obviously give you the estimates, but in the past that has been done and they've moved and it's just caused more anger and frustration, so we're reluctant to do that.
That's abit worrying because this could mean the team did not or cannot analyze the issues and solutions correctly or we will never have a fully functional F1 2015 before F1 2016 since there are no time frames.

@Dnote Thank you, this is the clearest message I have seen so far that goes some way to restoring my faith in a game franchise that I have religiously invested in over the last 6 years. The next step is action to address the issues. Co-development with players and fans has to be the key. I am sure you have considered the 'project cars' model of development in your thinking, they have created a quite incredible driving game, from the ground up, starting with the players and ending with the players. By doing this they have created an incredibly complex, realistic and enjoyable game that surpasses other driving sims/ games including GT and F1 (sadly). The patches from them have been immense and ongoing almost fortnightly and have all addressed the needs of their fans whilst making well thought out improvements. All of this from a kick starter project which is now allowing them to simultaneously develop project cars 2 alongside the development of project cars 1. This is a model that is really worth looking at, because the one thing they don't have the cars and ultimately the license. Combine this approach with the f1 brand and you would be on to a real winner. 

Another simple shift, that i have picked up from reading the concerns of players on this forum over the last month is to not take things away from each game year on year. Yes add more content and options, fix anything that doesn't work, but never take bits out of the build, for many this represents a step backwards and someone out there, an existing customer will always have something that they loved playing taken away. 

I really look forward to what happens next, but as i said earlier its about actions and taking action to negate the disappointment me and so many others have felt this year when playing a game that we want to love, but just doesn't love us back!

Operator1 said:

Dnote said:
...As for what others have said before.. actions speak louder than words, judge me on what I deliver, not on what others have failed to deliver.

I will. We've heard (half-hearted) apologies & (vague) commitments many times before, but what's always been missing is the follow-through. I appreciate what you've said & done here so far, and I'll keep an eye out for you to deliver on what you say.

This......

He isn't making promises, which already smacks to me that f**k all will be delivered. It's all "clever" words that mean s**t. Sorry, I have tried to be patient with this game but the lack of care & support has made me completely abandon it. I keep an eye on the forum and just keep laughing. 

Look ok at Project Cars, a game that was released BROKEN AS HELL. However, the continued support from SMS studios has been unbelievably good in my opinion. It still isn't perfect, but at least the devs are on it!!!

Sorry, but agree or disagree with me, I don't care, some people are suckers. What @Dnote has said has pretty much been said before. I gave up on this game. Vote with your wallets guys. I don't want CM to go under, I have always liked them... Colin McRae, Dirt, Toca, Grid, hell, even the old Music 2000 and Music generator games were great. 

Edit: Sorry for the double post. 

BCFC1985 said:
Sorry, but agree or disagree with me, I don't care, some people are suckers. What @Dnote has said has pretty much been said before. I gave up on this game. Vote with your wallets guys. I don't want CM to go under, I have always liked them... Colin McRae, Dirt, Toca, Grid, hell, even the old Music 2000 and Music generator games were great. 

Edit: Sorry for the double post. 

Could not agree more, hatta said all this, big lee said it and nothing has changed, in fact after they begged us to give them a chance as they realised the communication had been poor and it went from poor to non existent. I have not purchased a codemasters game since f1 2013, the forums a mess with spam attacks, the fact that the studio guys believe letting the community test games is somehow alien to them amazes me and yet I still come back here hoping just hoping there will be a breakthrough but there never is.

Dnote said:

As for what others have said before.. actions speak louder than words, judge me on what I deliver, not on what others have failed to deliver.

Hello @Dnote, We the fans of this game cannot expect you to suddenly and miraculously deliver a 100% complete, bug free game with all the goodies reinstated into it in a couple of weeks time, but here is a challenge that involves only "one" yet important facet of the game.

In the next round of patches (all platforms), deliver a game that has "intelligent", yet competitive AI that does not ram you off the track when you dare to be on the race line, ignore blue flags, race you in Practice and Qualifying, drive around the track in convoys during qualifying, outpace you on the strait aways in slower cars, clock slower lap times in qualifying than in race and drive through you in the pits. 

Then you've got my attention and I will believe that it is not business as usual.

I say this in all sincerity and ask that you understand the scepticism coming from many of us. We have been let down many times, making it extremely difficult to swallow yet another promise of the Mesia from CM.

Are you up for the challenge?

Thank you @Dnote,
II appreciate this game with all its flaws and non existent forum communication. I can also imagine the effort and drama behind the scenes at CM. I have learned a valuable lesson though.. Wait at least 1 month after relerease before shelling out the money for a game of this scope. Allow reviews to help guide the decision. That's what I plan to do for f1 2016.

@Dnote It would be good if we got some kind of running updates on which bugs are known and being worked on. I don't expect an ETA on fixes as I know these things are never that straightforward, but for example I made a thread about how lag causes cars to teleport backwards inside others making them explode and no-one from Codemasters has acknowledged it so I don't know if this kind of thing is on the list or not.

@inspiretheworld You may as well have written your list for Santa Claus. Reading between the lines of what @Dnote has said, the powers that be in the corporation will not be allowing the necessary changes to be made quickly enough for CM to retain the license. Diminishing sales will see to that. Their business model is obsolete.   I feel sorry for the developers because it sounds like they were handicapped by unrealistic time and budget restraints.  I think they've done well under the circumstances.  2015 is 75% of a fantastic F1 game.  I'm sorry, but 6+ years is long enough to have gotten it right.  The F1 license for a game should immediately go to the Project Cars' Slightly Mad Studios.  The CM corporate share-holders got greedy and killed the goose that laid the golden egg.  The end.

@inspiretheworld You may as well have written your list for Santa Claus. Reading between the lines of what @Dnote has said, the powers that be in the corporation will not be allowing the necessary changes to be made quickly enough for CM to retain the license. Diminishing sales will see to that. Their business model is obsolete.   I feel sorry for the developers because it sounds like they were handicapped by unrealistic time and budget restraints.  I think they've done well under the circumstances.  2015 is 75% of a fantastic F1 game.  I'm sorry, but 6+ years is long enough to have gotten it right.  The F1 license for a game should immediately go to the Project Cars' Slightly Mad Studios.  The CM corporate share-holders got greedy and killed the goose that laid the golden egg.  The end.
With Project Cars 2 already in the works, I think the guys at SMS will have too much on their plate to create a new game.  I think the best approach for FOM to be more "loose" with the license. For example SMS should be able to acquire the license for 2015 cars and provide them as a DLC.  Or Drive Club acquires the license for the 2015 season tracks, etc...