Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Team Meeting - Dnote's Notes

Surely that would have been easier to do. Just limit everyone's speed like a pit lane...
Can you just imagine the uproar on here if they'd implemented it like that (I.e. nothing like how it really works)...

almost everything they do implement is not how it is in real life, gear ratios, parc ferme regulations etc etc etc and there aint no uproar so I'm guessing the submissive type who still buy this game would buy it regardless and then believe that's how it is in real life because its an "official" game

and the thing with the language, codies would listen to a distributor over the community everyday so why are you guys so shocked?

geneinnc said:
What about the unique engine sounds we were promised? Unless I missed something Ferrari is the only different sound through the field.

On PC? Pop over to racedepartment forum and try the engine sound mod for F1 2015 by Dmitry Sorokin, it is a fantastic mod.

What about the unique engine sounds we were promised? Unless I missed something Ferrari is the only different sound through the field.

That's not true. The Renault engine has a very particular sound. Try the Red Bull and Torro Rosso. Honda has different engine sound also.

Bobino12 said:

That's not true. The Renault engine has a very particular sound. Try the Red Bull and Torro Rosso. Honda has different engine sound also.
Unfortunately the own car engine sounds are still much too low (on PS4), especially at the race start.

I would like to hear my car dominating and not reving up of the opponents.

Audio sliders do not work in this section. Simple reason, big impact... really annoying...

@Dnote Could you guys send out mailed NDA's for those interested in testing? When it comes to the main user base, it's not as if you're dealing with kids anymore.  B)

I was looking at picking up F1 on steam, and I was completely baffled by reviews considering how fantastic DR turned out. It would be an act of ignorance from both execs and community members to expect developers to deliver when constrained high level contracts and timelines are established without sufficient resources -often by those who have never written a single line of code. ie: It's probably not the dev's fault.

Seems like an F1 title would entail a lot more complexity compared to rally or even RX...and subsequently, a lot more bugs. :smile: 

@ Dnote

Have you news about the corner cutting Problem? 
How long we must wait for a fix/patch.
Please talk to the dev's that they make fast.
With this problem is the multiplayer unplayable and many guys wait since 10 weeks to start the league season.

Surely that would have been easier to do. Just limit everyone's speed like a pit lane...
Can you just imagine the uproar on here if they'd implemented it like that (I.e. nothing like how it really works)...
And that would not add anything to the game it would just mean a lap or 2 of going around the track at a slow place you would not gain any time on the cars In front

I don't mean to over simplify things but I would imagine an effective safety car could go something like this;

Countdown warning when following too close to the safety car ("TOO CLOSE, 3, 2, 1") - penalty of some kind if driver doesn't back off - likewise with being too far back.

I can't imagine there is a penalty for being too close/too far to/from the driver ahead? If there is, apply same logic.

Logic to determine leader / back-markers to unlap/catch up can't be too difficult can it?

Then again, I've no experience of game-code so maybe this is way too oversimplified.

I'd also like to see more manual controls in the pits - pit entry is, well comical. Full throttle instantly slows me to pitlane speed.

Perhaps a glowing section of the pit entry lane right before the speed limit line where you have to decrease speed to 80km/h (unassisted!) - after the speed limit line the computer can take over - if you've reduced speed in time, happy days, if not, penalty applied (added time or drive-through as per regs)

I don't mean to over simplify things but I would imagine an effective safety car could go something like this;

Countdown warning when following too close to the safety car ("TOO CLOSE, 3, 2, 1") - penalty of some kind if driver doesn't back off - likewise with being too far back.

I can't imagine there is a penalty for being too close/too far to/from the driver ahead? If there is, apply same logic.

Logic to determine leader / back-markers to unlap/catch up can't be too difficult can it?

Then again, I've no experience of game-code so maybe this is way too oversimplified.

It's something I've been hoping for some time it get's extremely annoying when the safety car picks up the leader and you're in 8th place but you can't get past them and the rest of the field get's a whole lap advantage on you.

I think the only solution could be, under the safety car period once the field has backed up picked up everybody and identified the lapped cars from the unlapped cars it could enter an automated mode for unlapped cars only. Where the computer takes over where you have no control until all the lapped cars have passed the safety car. Once that period is over the player has full control again behind the safety car. After the lapped runners have raced around the track as fast as they can and have re-joined the back of the field or pack whatever you like to call it it's safety car in this lap green flag and away we go.

It's a good idea on paper but god knows how hard coding would be I know nothing about coding    

We had some fairly decent manual pitlane controls in F1 2010. Likewise the safety car was brought in for 2011....
2015 has gone backwards with just about every feature!
I suspect one of the reasons the pitlane limiter was removed after 2010 was the introduction of DRS in 2011, which took up yet another button on the controller. (EDIT: But not KERS as I originally wrote, that was already on one of the shoulder buttons.)

Which isn't to say there aren't other ways they could implement it, and with KERS gone one of those buttons is kind of freed-up again now anyway (though now it's used for engineer comms instead, of course).

We had some fairly decent manual pitlane controls in F1 2010. Likewise the safety car was brought in for 2011....
2015 has gone backwards with just about every feature!
I suspect one of the reasons the pitlane limiter was removed after 2010 was the introduction of DRS in 2011, which meant the four most accessible buttons were used up with DRS, KERS, and gear up/down.

Which isn't to say there aren't other ways they could implement it, and with KERS gone the button is kind of freed-up again now anyway (though now it's used for engineer comms instead, of course).
You make a good point re: Button usage. Though surely this can be contextual? I.e. why would you use DRS while in pit lane. DRS button could be used for something else while in pit lane.

Just a thought.

You make a good point re: Button usage. Though surely this can be contextual? I.e. why would you use DRS while in pit lane. DRS button could be used for something else while in pit lane.

Just a thought.
Indeed... like I said, I'm sure there are ways around it. You don't even necessarily need a button at all -- you could still have the AI take over when you hit the limiter line, but if you were going slow enough then you just carry on at the limiter speed, and if you weren't, you're slowed down to the right speed and given a time or drive-through penalty. Less 'realistic', but still requires more skill than the current games.

I know that you have heard this before, however I would like to bring up a very serious problem we are still having with F1 2015.  Since I belong to a large PC racing league, we had planned on starting the largest and most popular race series we hold in late July and we still have not been able to even start the trials for the season because of serious faults in Multiplayer.  Multiplayer in F1 2015 still requires some serious fixes before we can announce the start of our  F1 2015 season.  I have been kicked from sessions, games loading incorrectly, pitting and then not being able to race any more, Cars disappearing on the track, ghost cars, etc., and have no idea what happened, but very disappointed at the same time.  I have a very good internet connection and a very stable computer platform, and always have.  I was only kicked from the server once with F1 2014, and that was due to a Steam update...Completely unavoidable, however there were still lag problems with F1 2014.  I'm sure you have heard many other folks bring up the same issues as I am regarding Multiplayer.  Please concentrate more on fixing the PC Multiplayer mode so it is stable enough to handle a full lobby, and most of all it needs to be "stable" throughout the entire race weather it is a 25, 50, or 100% race.  We can not start our F1 2015 league until this happens.  I understand you guys are trying to get these issue solved, but the one thing that is lacking, or has been lacking since the roll out of F1 2015 has been Multiplayer mode.  Thanks for your support.

One of the biggest reasons why communication is failing is because of this forum format. Go start a subreddit or something, because this forum format is ancient and outdated. It's impossibly difficult to thread conversations, users have no way of easily searching bugs and indicating that it also affects them, and CM have no way to easily sort through bugs or prioritize them by the number of people they affect or their severity. As a software developer, it's really pretty embarrassing that this is the only communications platform you have with your users. Open yourselves up to a proper bug tracker or use a better forum.

treeface said:
One of the biggest reasons why communication is failing is because of this forum format. Go start a subreddit or something, because this forum format is ancient and outdated. It's impossibly difficult to thread conversations, users have no way of easily searching bugs and indicating that it also affects them, and CM have no way to easily sort through bugs or prioritize them by the number of people they affect or their severity. As a software developer, it's really pretty embarrassing that this is the only communications platform you have with your users. Open yourselves up to a proper bug tracker or use a better forum.
There already is a subreddit I believe, albeit not a fully official one--don't have a link handy but @justbiglee used to post on one occasionally. Personally I find all web forums equally bad, though... There's a reason I still prefer NNTP newsgroups!

How many other games (or any other commercial software) have bug trackers that are accessible by the general public? Hardly any, and for good reason... Other than the legal and competitive risks of accidentally revealing information in bug reports that shouldn't be public knowledge, filing a useful bug is a skill that even a lot of people who work for software companies don't have. Having triaged bug reports on large open source projects before, it's not a job I'd wish on anyone!

I appreciate you taking this first step to mending the fences with the community. I am not going to speak for everyone, but in my case i became disillusioned with your company after you quit on F1 multiple times. There were obvious game-breaking bugs left in almost every version from 2010 until 2013, at which point i stopped spending money on CM games. Keep in mind that i was so turned off by the lack of passion shown by CM, that i refused to buy ANY CM GAMES, even those with good reviews. I believe your company was extremely short-sighted when you stopped patching broken games. 

Another major issue is bug testing. It is clear to anyone paying attention that your QA process is completely broken. And yes, i am a software developer. I assume the lack of features found in 2015 is the result of a disfunctional development process. I think it also explains the state the current version was released in. 

So how do you fix this? First, the way you are delivering your product needs to change. You are getting insight and feedback on F1 too late in development. Include the community, regardless of how hard it is. Second, you need to revamp your QA process. I don't think the people testing the product really understand F1. You need F1 fanatics. Including the community will help a lot, but there is something fundamentally wrong with your QA approach. And finally, you need to fix a broken game. I would go a step further and patch older versions too. Show the community that you care.

If you can nail these issues, you have a chance of winning back my money. Good luck. I hate to see a company struggle like this, and the franchise deserves better.

I appreciate you taking this first step to mending the fences with the community. I am not going to speak for everyone, but in my case i became disillusioned with your company after you quit on F1 multiple times. There were obvious game-breaking bugs left in almost every version from 2010 until 2013, at which point i stopped spending money on CM games. Keep in mind that i was so turned off by the lack of passion shown by CM, that i refused to buy ANY CM GAMES, even those with good reviews. I believe your company was extremely short-sighted when you stopped patching broken games. 

Another major issue is bug testing. It is clear to anyone paying attention that your QA process is completely broken. And yes, i am a software developer. I assume the lack of features found in 2015 is the result of a disfunctional development process. I think it also explains the state the current version was released in. 

So how do you fix this? First, the way you are delivering your product needs to change. You are getting insight and feedback on F1 too late in development. Include the community, regardless of how hard it is. Second, you need to revamp your QA process. I don't think the people testing the product really understand F1. You need F1 fanatics. Including the community will help a lot, but there is something fundamentally wrong with your QA approach. And finally, you need to fix a broken game. I would go a step further and patch older versions too. Show the community that you care.

If you can nail these issues, you have a chance of winning back my money. Good luck. I hate to see a company struggle like this, and the franchise deserves better.
A very good post. If I may just comment regarding QA, I think the community is where those F1 fanatics are and to be honest, it is the community that has been beta testing this product since release including the patches released to date and the fixes to date are just about all as a result of that community QA so to speak.

I am very sceptical of CM intentions to pay for any more resources than they have for this very important development process. However, there was a hint of interest by CM in the community testing concept in a previous post from @Dnote (I think).

While I do not have the slightest problem with public beta testing, I do if it is done post release. They could further add to this resource by implementing "closed beta" testing by some of the known experienced F1 racers in the community, at the cost of no more than a free copy of the game.