Jump to content Jump to content

Portimao, Imola & Jeddah: Out Now ✅

3 minutes ago, FTBuzzard said:

Maybe they wanted to bring the tracks as DLCs for 2021, but when they became official, they decided to release them later, which would be logical because of Jeddah.

you think it's so easy, but in game development, the levels are what takes the most time, even small levels.
I think that Imola and portimao are finished, or at least almost finished, and most of the time is currently spent on the development of Jeddah.

Oh believe me I know it isn’t easy. Infact after doing a little research, I came across an article that states it takes codemasters 12 months to develop a new track. Based on this and the fact Imola and Portimao were not confirmed until March 2021, I think now a realistic target will be no sooner than March 2022. This also confirms your knowledge of how long and difficult it is to create tracks from ground up 

1 hour ago, FTBuzzard said:

Maybe they wanted to bring the tracks as DLCs for 2021, but when they became official, they decided to release them later, which would be logical because of Jeddah.

you think it's so easy, but in game development, the levels are what takes the most time, even small levels.
I think that Imola and portimao are finished, or at least almost finished, and most of the time is currently spent on the development of Jeddah.

So codies build Imola and Portugal in 2020 because they wanted to add them as DLC for 2021 game, then they get added to official calendar so codies decide to leave them out of the release of the official 2021 game to continue will original plan of dlc. If codies wanted a tracks DLC for 2021 why not add them 2 from the start (as their finished) and work on Jeddah and turkey for a dlc? adding tracks when a new podium pass begins is more than likely. I don’t think it gonna be in the next pass but with achievements and knowing codies they’ll add special items in the shop to get more money of us. An update with podium pass is possible.

• Agree 1
1 hour ago, Craig8921 said:

Oh believe me I know it isn’t easy. Infact after doing a little research, I came across an article that states it takes codemasters 12 months to develop a new track. Based on this and the fact Imola and Portimao were not confirmed until March 2021, I think now a realistic target will be no sooner than March 2022. This also confirms your knowledge of how long and difficult it is to create tracks from ground up 

I remember there was an interview with Polyphony about Gran Turismo long time ago, that each car takes 3 months to make and it's about a year for a track. So things seems to sound about true here for Codemaster as well, I always thought those numbers were exaggerated back then.  

Edited by DRTApophis
  • Agree 2

I’ve seen a number of times it being mentioned about 12 months for a track. The article I read was specifically talking about Imola, Portimao and Jeddah as well. 
Hopefully Codies did plan on a DLC back in 2020 for extra tracks (which I doubt as they would of done Turkey also, considering how many people wanted it last year and this year). 
If they didn’t and only started working on them after they got officially announced then we’re looking at March 2022 at the earliest. Any earlier than that and they’ll most likely be broken, buggy and probably missing whole sections of the track 🤣 

@DRTApophis and @Craig8921 I'm a sucker for this kind of peeking behind the curtains. Do you mind sharing those articles or videos if you remember where you got them from? And Polyphony... Say anything about the GT franchise, but those guys do like their cars and their racing.

Thanks! That one I'm aware of. I was referring to anything meaty about game development, racing games in particular. Like this video about AI and how the Forza franchise approaches it. 

I find it fascinating!

And it doesn't hurt to remind these two points:

• Codemasters' F1 games are generally praised by their AI in the sim racing community. You'll often find sim racers praising the AI behavior and noting how it is miles ahead of other titles;
  • Codemasters has said already that building the tracks are relatively hard and time consuming, but that training the AI for new tracks is really hard and time consuming.

Wish it were a mere "hey, let's take these Google Earth screenshots, feed them to this software and have a new track ready to ship" kind of thing. 

• Agree 2
13 minutes ago, marioho said:

@DRTApophis and @Craig8921 I'm a sucker for this kind of peeking behind the curtains. Do you mind sharing those articles or videos if you remember where you got them from? And Polyphony... Say anything about the GT franchise, but those guys do like their cars and their racing.

Sadly I couldn't find anything about the track after some searching, I could be remembering it wrong but I definitely heard a year to build a track somewhere long ago. For cars though, apparently it took 6 months back in GT5, until recent years where they started outsourcing and it got cut down to 3 months or so.

Damn, that was way longer than I ever thought. 

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/gran-turismo-car-models-now-made-in-three-months-outsourced-to-india.395948/

• Like 1

2. New Tracks

Last year saw the addition of Zandvoort and Hanoi to F1 2020 and soon Electronic Arts will be adding Imola, Portimão and Jeddah to the game. However, these won’t be available at launch but will be offered as free downloadable content later in the year. So, you’ll be able to race in Saudi Arabia before the stars of Formula One do.

Edited by Gladystonff
15 minutes ago, Gladystonff said:

Interesting spot, although I suspect that may just have been an assumption made by the author rather than being based on solid information from Codemasters.

I certainly hope it's true though!

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Ultra3142 said:

assumption made by the author

I have to agree here - at least that would make sense, somehow.

Can anyone fathom why Codies would have trouble to name a precise date for the delivery of the tracks though (unless it was very late and you wanted to avoid giving any information, so not to influence sales in a bad way)? If you can name a release date for the game itself, you should not be in trouble sheduling the release of additional content. If you still are, something is / seems wrong.

Even if you do not want to sound all too negative: it does not seem that they would be ready / done with anything, or that anything that would be needed badly in the game, or that might soothen the community would be publicly known or would sound positive in perspective. Lets have a quick look:

Performance patch? No eta given. Delayed tracks? No info given, but "within the games lifecycle" (which could mean anything until summer 2022). Vital fixes like "cars drop into holes on curbs"? No info that this would be in the making. More savegame slots? No information on this limitation either. Fixes for "bad graphics, worse than previous iterations" (which seem to be reported all over the place)? None in sight. Customizeable "myteam" calendar? Not possible due to license issues, they say. You wish for Turkey track, to play "real season start" or just play the real thing with double headers and all tracks? Nah, will not happen. Fixes to make multiplayer / leagues work smoother? No eta yet. This list could sure be continued with some more entries, but as stated above, this post shall not be about negativity.

I so much want to love / recommend this game - but boy, it is not easy to be both a Codemasters and F1 (franchise) fanboy these days. Or is it.

• Agree 1
17 hours ago, Schneehase said:

unless it was very late and you wanted to avoid giving any information, so not to influence sales in a bad way

this is exactly why they won't give a date.

Edit:

To expand on this, I can GUARANTEE you that they have internal dates for releasing these already. They won't disclose those to us.
As long as they can still get away with saying "we will provide the tracks 'later' for free" that is something that is somewhat easy to swallow for most potential players thinking about purchasing the game. If they were to say "The tracks come out next year in January or February" that would deter a lot of people from buying the game now, at full price.

IMO, the fact that none of the new tracks have even been teased yet or appeared in any pre-release footage (not even a snippet of a few frames) tells me they are still somewhat early stages and not ready to be shown. They won't show us anything or give any dates until they are nearly done with them. Personally I don't expect anything in September, I'm leaning more towards end of year or even early next year...sadly. As far as I know, all the official statements about release window have been very carefully worded to simply say "later", as in "later in the game's cycle", but without mentioning "later this year" or something that would indicate a Q4 release window for example. So the idea that at least some of the tracks may release in 2022 is not out of the question I think. I'm sure if they were planning a release as early as this fall they would have already mentioned it because that's honestly not too long of a wait and most people could accept that. The lack of any info does not bode well I think.

Edited by CptBalloonhands
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, CptBalloonhands said:

this is exactly why they won't give a date.

Edit:

To expand on this, I can GUARANTEE you that they have internal dates for releasing these already. They won't disclose those to us.
As long as they can still get away with saying "we will provide the tracks 'later' for free" that is something that is somewhat easy to swallow for most potential players thinking about purchasing the game. If they were to say "The tracks come out next year in January or February" that would deter a lot of people from buying the game now, at full price.

IMO, the fact that none of the new tracks have even been teased yet or appeared in any pre-release footage (not even a snippet of a few frames) tells me they are still somewhat early stages and not ready to be shown. They won't show us anything or give any dates until they are nearly done with them. Personally I don't expect anything in September, I'm leaning more towards end of year or even early next year...sadly. As far as I know, all the official statements about release window have been very carefully worded to simply say "later", as in "later in the game's cycle", but without mentioning "later this year" or something that would indicate a Q4 release window for example. So the idea that at least some of the tracks may release in 2022 is not out of the question I think. I'm sure if they were planning a release as early as this fall they would have already mentioned it because that's honestly not too long of a wait and most people could accept that. The lack of any info does not bode well I think.

I've been wondering whether this is made by CM or not, the graphics, animation, and physics certainly did look like it was from our game:

Edited by DRTApophis
3 hours ago, DRTApophis said:

I've been wondering whether this is made by CM or not, the graphics, animation, and physics certainly did look like it was from our game:

Almost dozed off watching that

• Agree 1
4 hours ago, DRTApophis said:

Previous discussion concluded that was done in Assetto Corsa. Compare the wheel and gloves/hands if you want to be convinced.

Edited by Ultra3142
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, FTBuzzard said:

Tilke has designed some nice tracks, like Sepang or Istanbul.

You could say that Tilke has only ever designed one track in his life. Every track he's done after that has off-cuts of that track. Long straight to snail section to arching corner to medium straight, etc. There's a video on it somewhere. 

That being said, there are some decent combinations of his go-to characteristics that make a half-decent track and you have to say that the hospitality parts, and the safety, of the tracks are alot better nowadays compared to more 'traditional' tracks.  There are positives and negatives to all of his tracks but most are bearable for the most part. 

• PJTierney changed the title to Portimao, Imola & Jeddah: Out Now ✅
  • PJTierney unpinned this topic