Jump to content Jump to content

Portimao, Imola & Jeddah: Out Now ✅


Recommended Posts

I find it very hard to understand why, these 3 tracks are not already operational within the game.
turkey should already have the data, last presence F1 2011.
Imola with the acquisition of project cars SmS should not be a problem to have it.
portimao and jeddah maybe with the laser scan (which I doubt they are able to use in codies) it should not be difficult to acquire them.
all this delay or lack why?
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, advanceapple said:

I find it very hard to understand why, these 3 tracks are not already operational within the game.
turkey should already have the data, last presence F1 2011.
Imola with the acquisition of project cars SmS should not be a problem to have it.
portimao and jeddah maybe with the laser scan (which I doubt they are able to use in codies) it should not be difficult to acquire them.
all this delay or lack why?

You don't understand because you don't work in game development.

Different game engines for F1 games and Project CARS, you can't just port assets between them by pressing a button and saying a magic word.

F1 2011 is a 10 year old game and the Istanbul track in it is very inaccurate, fixing it and porting it to F1 2021 would take more time than starting from scratch.

And it's not about just building the tracks, they also need to do the necessary programming, including making sure the AI knows how to drive the track on all difficulty levels (1-110), in all conditions and situations, on all tire compounds, through all the different race distances. That takes time, too.

Ps. Codemasters tend to laser scan their new tracks (Paul Ricard, Zandvoort for example) so I think they have also scanned the 3 new tracks.

  • Agree 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Sector4 said:

You don't understand because you don't work in game development.

Different game engines for F1 games and Project CARS, you can't just port assets between them by pressing a button and saying a magic word.

F1 2011 is a 10 year old game and the Istanbul track in it is very inaccurate, fixing it and porting it to F1 2021 would take more time than starting from scratch.

And it's not about just building the tracks, they also need to do the necessary programming, including making sure the AI knows how to drive the track on all difficulty levels (1-110), in all conditions and situations, on all tire compounds, through all the different race distances. That takes time, too.

Ps. Codemasters tend to laser scan their new tracks (Paul Ricard, Zandvoort for example) so I think they have also scanned the 3 new tracks.

Actually for the time Istanbul Park was much more accurate than other tracks and current tracks haha

And while i agree that just converting tracks easy peasy is just not how it works they did convert all their tracks from 2014 into 2015 engine.. Absolutely didnt make them all from scratch but idk how they did it nor do i wanna suggest they could have easily done it with Turkey.. Just something im thinking about

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, ReeceMusgrove said:

Not officially confirmed but they are teasing us by putting the picture in the calendar and also there is a thread of tweets they have created and there is one letter on each tweet in italics and it so far spells P O R. So it’s “confirmed” 

I wonder what exactly is confirmed?
It is no secret that Portimao will be in the game, you don't need a confirmation for that.
Is it confirmed that it will be the first of the three tracks, or is it confirmed that it will come with the next patch?

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Meza994 said:

Actually for the time Istanbul Park was much more accurate than other tracks and current tracks haha

And while i agree that just converting tracks easy peasy is just not how it works they did convert all their tracks from 2014 into 2015 engine.. Absolutely didnt make them all from scratch but idk how they did it nor do i wanna suggest they could have easily done it with Turkey.. Just something im thinking about

2014 to 2015 is not a technological leap at all. 2011 to 2021 definitely is a leap. Every single asset on the track would have to be replaced with newer, higher resolution models and textures. The only thing they could mostly keep as is, is the track layout. It's a big task, not an impossible one, but a big one. Their track development team needs a budget boost if you ask me. It seems to be the slowest part of the production.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, CptBalloonhands said:

2014 to 2015 is not a technological leap at all. 2011 to 2021 definitely is a leap. Every single asset on the track would have to be replaced with newer, higher resolution models and textures. The only thing they could mostly keep as is, is the track layout. It's a big task, not an impossible one, but a big one. Their track development team needs a budget boost if you ask me. It seems to be the slowest part of the production.

2014 to 2015 was the change to the current graphics engine.. they changed the visuals of everything so its not different in the basics from 2011 to 2021

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, FTBuzzard said:

I wonder what exactly is confirmed?
It is no secret that Portimao will be in the game, you don't need a confirmation for that.
Is it confirmed that it will be the first of the three tracks, or is it confirmed that it will come with the next patch?

I think @ReeceMusgrove summed it up pretty well to be honest. We know no more.

Edited by Ultra3142
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Meza994 said:

2014 to 2015 was the change to the current graphics engine.. they changed the visuals of everything so its not different in the basics from 2011 to 2021

Ah gotcha. Didn't know that. Still, the point remains. They couldn't just "port" Turkey to F1 2021 as is. Everything except the layout would need to be reworked.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, CptBalloonhands said:

Ah gotcha. Didn't know that. Still, the point remains. They couldn't just "port" Turkey to F1 2021 as is. Everything except the layout would need to be reworked.

Thats what i also tried to say, that this doesnt mean its an easy peasy copy😉

Anyway the current game developments are equaling the development of 2013 (many features, classic cars and tracks) over 2014 (classic content cut) to 2015 (everything but driver season cut) when they changed graphics engine - so F1 2022 could be a new engine utilizing next gen to its full extent.. But thats just a theory haha

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, FTBuzzard said:

so, then nothing is confirmed yet?

In the sense of an explicit statement from anyone at Codemasters, correct.

As various people have posted I think it's pretty clear that the addition of the Portimao track to the game is being trailed, and coupled with Barry's tease I think it's a pretty safe bet it will arrive with the 1.10 update, and my bet is this will be with us early next week.

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

In the sense of an explicit statement from anyone at Codemasters, correct.

As various people have posted I think it's pretty clear that the addition of the Portimao track to the game is being trailed, and coupled with Barry's tease I think it's a pretty safe bet it will arrive with the 1.10 update, and my bet is this will be with us early next week.

hopefully with 1.10 there will be any new track, desn't matter wich one's first

Just asking because I still find it a bit strange to put it down as a fact.
In the end, everyone is angry again because their own expectations were not met, although nothing was officially announced.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Meza994 @CptBalloonhands I bet with some google fu we can dig up the details from one iteration of the Ego engine to the other and what version each entry in the franchise used, but Raycevick's lookback at the F1 games is quite good and informative enough. If I'm not mistaken, it went something like this (all second-hand info):

image.png.9eafa275f48d00364ca0c3fc5c830c51.png

However I think the changes very often go beyond just visual fidelity – textures, lighting, etc. One other huge thing that often gets improved or even overhauled from one version to the other are the physics models. I'd guess that even if everything concerned to graphics and sound were to stay the same, if a new entry is coded with a newer engine version with different physics systems, it would impede the fabled "copying and pasting" we often think is doable in game development.

Silly scenario, let's say one version allows you to assign a certain grip level for asphalt and another for every other surface. The next version now allows you to assign varying grip levels to the tarmac according to the event session (practice, qualy, race), plus more variety between different kerbs and grass and different painted surfaces (oh, hi, Paul Ricard! 💞). You had all those textures scanned already and even if they get rendered the same, you'll still have to redo all your rigging and assignments to get the physics simulated ok.

Now EGO is a proprietary game engine that I don't think is used anywhere outside of Codies. It is not that well documented, understandably, unlike Unreal and Unity. How would we know what goes on under the hood? I cannot even say if F1 2021 indeed runs on EGO 4.0 or if it's on a different version already.

Like with Unity/Unreal, there are iterations that look visually the same in the way they do graphics and shadows, but get massive leaps in AI capabilities and pathfinding for instance.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, marioho said:

@Meza994 @CptBalloonhands I bet with some google fu we can dig up the details from one iteration of the Ego engine to the other and what version each entry in the franchise used, but Raycevick's lookback at the F1 games is quite good and informative enough. If I'm not mistaken, it went something like this (all second-hand info):

image.png.9eafa275f48d00364ca0c3fc5c830c51.png

However I think the changes very often go beyond just visual fidelity – textures, lighting, etc. One other huge thing that often gets improved or even overhauled from one version to the other are the physics models. I'd guess that even if everything concerned to graphics and sound were to stay the same, if a new entry is coded with a newer engine version with different physics systems, it would impede the fabled "copying and pasting" we often think is doable in game development.

Silly scenario, let's say one version allows you to assign a certain grip level for asphalt and another for every other surface. The next version now allows you to assign varying grip levels to the tarmac according to the event session (practice, qualy, race), plus more variety between different kerbs and grass and different painted surfaces (oh, hi, Paul Ricard! 💞). You had all those textures scanned already and even if they get rendered the same, you'll still have to redo all your rigging and assignments to get the physics simulated ok.

Now EGO is a proprietary game engine that I don't think is used anywhere outside of Codies. It is not that well documented, understandably, unlike Unreal and Unity. How would we know what goes on under the hood? I cannot even say if F1 2021 indeed runs on EGO 4.0 or if it's on a different version already.

Like with Unity/Unreal, there are iterations that look visually the same in the way they do graphics and shadows, but get massive leaps in AI capabilities and pathfinding for instance.

Sure there can change a lot but then again If there would be huge changes e.g. between V2.0 and V3.0 i dont think theyd be able to do all the tracks plus the classic stuff within a year.. If that would have been all that much back then theyd just be lazy today with what they do lol but V2 and V3 are not thaat different visually as compared to V4 2021 so its likely that this would definitely be a more complex change..

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, zApPaDiEtRo said:

@mariohowhat is a "google fu"? :classic_blush:

Haha that emoji is my weakpoint!

Google Fu is a wordplay with "kung fu" to denote one's skill or skilled used of Google search engine – or any other search engine for that matter. Example: had you a good google fu, you wouldn't be asking me what google fu means 🤣

Just kidding! Please keep on sending me cute emojis!  

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FTBuzzard said:

Just asking because I still find it a bit strange to put it down as a fact.
In the end, everyone is angry again because their own expectations were not met, although nothing was officially announced.

This is actually why I think it's pretty clear the Portimao track is coming, as suggested it will as is being done but then not releasing it shortly would be crazy.

Oh, and it's clearly being done this way to make people talk about it, as we are...

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

This is actually why I think it's pretty clear the Portimao track is coming, as suggested it will as is being done but then not releasing it shortly would be crazy.

Oh, and it's clearly being done this way to make people talk about it, as we are...

Then they get to teasing Jeddah and realize that nobody cares.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • PJTierney changed the title to Portimao, Imola & Jeddah: Out Now ✅
  • PJTierney unpinned this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...