Jump to content Jump to content

Portimao, Imola & Jeddah: Out Now ✅

• Social Media & Community Team
13 minutes ago, DAVB12 said:

Is there already an exact date of Imola?
I remember reading a post that said October 15, is the date true? 

No exact date. The "coming soon" trailer just said October.

When there is a date announced you'll all know 🙂 

3 hours ago, Ryne said:

Why would it be in 2022? F1 won't race there next year because of the FIFA World Cup.

It would make sense for it to be in F1 2023, as that's when the contract officially starts for the 10 years.

i saw it, my bad. 

2 hours ago, Sector4 said:

Yes, Qatar has a multi-year contract with F1 but Losail is only confirmed for 2021.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.breaking-qatar-to-join-f1-calendar-in-2021-as-country-signs-additional-10.50lbiJcZfoo6udNWZMDAn6.html

I can see a new track being constructed around one of the 2022 FIFA World Cup stadiums.

So basically a Russia in the sand. Street track / pseudo street track....ah the gift that keeps on giving, 

• Haha 1
12 hours ago, FS7 said:

Qatar GP confirmed for November 2021. Will it be added to the F1 2021 game?

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-confirms-qatar-gp-on-2021-calendar-as-part-of-long-term-deal/6678317/

11 hours ago, FTBuzzard said:

There simply isn't enough time to integrate it into the game this year i guess, but since Losail has an 11-year contract with F1, the track is fixed for 2022 calendar and should be in the next game.

They should really start begin adding tracks outside the calender for future games as DLC or as part of the main game (Yes licensing aside) At least then we would some different circuits to enjoy.

Plus it has the added benefit of having circuits available. Prepared for when codemasters faces another scenario.  

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1
8 hours ago, Chromatic said:

They should really start begin adding tracks outside the calender for future games as DLC or as part of the main game (Yes licensing aside) At least then we would some different circuits to enjoy.

Plus it has the added benefit of having circuits available. Prepared for when codemasters faces another scenario.  

They cant add tracks with licensing aside. Its the most important factor i guess.

38 minutes ago, FTBuzzard said:

They cant add tracks with licensing aside. Its the most important factor i guess.

32 minutes ago, Meza994 said:

Id say time is equally important lol

I'd say motivation is the most important factor!    if they don't particularly want to do it, then they won't.   Regardless of whether licensing is a pain or whether they have time constraints, if they don't want to divest any resource into something that they're not actually required to do then that'll be the biggest hindrance to their inclusion. 

Of course that may not be the case and they'd want to include it if it was practical but it's never really suggested that sometimes game designers don't cater to the every whim and fancy of their audience. 

6 minutes ago, SmokyAtom07 said:

I'd say motivation is the most important factor!    if they don't particularly want to do it, then they won't.   Regardless of whether licensing is a pain or whether they have time constraints, if they don't want to divest any resource into something that they're not actually required to do then that'll be the biggest hindrance to their inclusion. 

Of course that may not be the case and they'd want to include it if it was practical but it's never really suggested that sometimes game designers don't cater to the every whim and fancy of their audience. 

Haha yeah ok you are right but i would go a little further.. Developers and Publishers only do the absolute minimum necessary (exceptions happen rarely). And more tracks is not really a little whim haha but i know what you mean

37 minutes ago, FTBuzzard said:

No, because with a licensed contract, they have to do everything, regardless of the motivation.

They dont have to do anything but the teams, drivers and the tracks within reasonable limits - they wont have it in the contract to have every track F1 raced on that year in each release if its on short notice.. Otherwise they would have had to add last years tracks too which is unreasonable to do 5 tracks which were only happening 3 months after game release..

10 hours ago, FTBuzzard said:

No, because with a licensed contract, they have to do everything, regardless of the motivation.

I agree that with the fact that they have to fulfil the terms of their agreement, regardless of whether they’re motivated to do so.  For example, they agreed to provide the calendar specified by the cut-off.  They may not have wanted to include certain things but had no choice but to do it, or vice versa, they may want to have included things but couldn’t because they couldn’t get it agreed.   Fundamentally, yes, they agree what will be required and then have to input that into the game regardless of motivation. However, the fact they have a license to do something doesn’t mean they are obliged to do so. It just means that they are able to legally do it without infringement.  The license isn’t the mandate, the agreement with the powers-that-be is the thing they have to adhere to. 

Furthermore, my point was predicated about motivation, or lack thereof, of going above and beyond the aforementioned SLA. For example, they may have the license to do Turkey/Qatar/etc, but not the appetite to include it if it isn’t needed. There’s nothing mandating from the powers-that-be that says they must be in the game, so irrespective of licensing, they don’t need to include it if they didn’t want to. 

This argument just goes round in circles and in the end gets us nowhere. 

We have no idea what their licensing agreement is with FOM nor do we know if they have tracks licensed outside of the ones currently in game and .. nor do we know if it's anything to do with 'motivation' or a decision made by FOM as part of their agreement.

None of this has been made public besides one or two squeaks here and there which tell us nothing much about the overall structure of the license. 

It's amazing how much has been written (myself included I used to defend Codies over this) with so little actual information available. 

• Agree 3
  • Disagree 1
4 minutes ago, KNT2011 said:

We have no idea what their licensing agreement is with FOM nor do we know if they have tracks licensed outside of the ones currently in game and .. nor do we know if it's anything to do with 'motivation' or a decision made by FOM as part of their agreement.

None of this has been made public besides one or two squeaks here and there which tell us nothing much about the overall structure of the license. 

It's amazing how much has been written (myself included I used to defend Codies over this) with so little actual information available. 

Well from one reply of Barry to a suggestion of more tracks/classic tracks i take that they dont have any additional lincences and i highly doubt they got in their agreement to have all tracks raced on in the game but rather as said before its only the first officially announced calendar that they have to have in the game.. But in the end you are still right, we dont know the details nor the actual attitude of Codemasters management to do such things so its all just wild guessing which can be fun sometimes but indeed gets us nowhere😂

• Agree 2

I always wonder how much of the license stuff is true and how much is a lame developer's excuse for no including more content. F1 2013 had 4 additional tracks & classic cars, previous F1 games had classic cars, MotoGP games have MotoGP, Moto2, Moto3, MotoE, classic bikes & additional tracks. So it seems to me that it's possible to work out a license deal to include additional cars & tracks, it's just a matter of the developer wanting to do so.

6 hours ago, FS7 said:

I always wonder how much of the license stuff is true and how much is a lame developer's excuse for no including more content. F1 2013 had 4 additional tracks & classic cars, previous F1 games had classic cars, MotoGP games have MotoGP, Moto2, Moto3, MotoE, classic bikes & additional tracks. So it seems to me that it's possible to work out a license deal to include additional cars & tracks, it's just a matter of the developer wanting to do so.

Think of it more in terms of how to decide where to spend the holidays with the missus and the kids year in and year out instead of shopping items out of shelves with self-checkout on a supermarket.

There are great license deals and unbelievably unreasonable ones. It's a negotiation with an expiry date, a bucketload of minutia and that more often than not gets renegotiated (instead of simply renewed) from time to time, so the terms of a license from 2013 will hardly be the same from one years down the road even if it's over the same IP or object.

Bottomline being, yeah, we are all just left wondering and speculating about it since the contract will hardly ever surface to the general public's scrutiny.

Edited by marioho
  • Agree 1
11 hours ago, marioho said:

Think of it more in terms of how to decide where to spend the holidays with the missus and the kids year in and year out instead of shopping items out of shelves with self-checkout on a supermarket.

There are great license deals and unbelievably unreasonable ones. It's a negotiation with an expiry date, a bucketload of minutia and that more often than not gets renegotiated (instead of simply renewed) from time to time, so the terms of a license from 2013 will hardly be the same from one years down the road even if it's over the same IP or object.

Bottomline being, yeah, we are all just left wondering and speculating about it since the contract will hardly ever surface to the general public's scrutiny.

When it comes to track licensing there are some on here that seem to think that tracks owners hold all the cards... and to a point they are right.. but only to a point..  for instance ordinarily this f1 series will have a full roster off tracks for the current f1 season.  So the track owners can push for more knowing codemasters need the track license. 

But that only relates to current tracks in the actual f1 roster.

But tracks that are not have no cards...  owners of Sepang for instance...  Amazing track and facilities.. and capable off hosting a F1 race... The overhead to running a race track are huge..  and tracks are always looking for ways to increase income from holding races to hosting weddings...  So if a game developers approached them to include their track in a game that will be sold round the world. Of course they will want to give you a license but as they are not on the roster and will only be available as track option in career mode outside the current year:..  Codemasters can say we would love to have sepang  our game. As it’s a favourite for gamers to race on:   But as your not currently holding. A F1 race we can only offer to patch x which is much less than we pay for current f1 tracks.   However is fom add you to any years roster during the license period we will pay the premium... If these terms are not acceptable we are sorry for wasting you time..  Sepang will accept.  It’s still a win win for them

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1
1 hour ago, naim786 said:

any idea if we getting imola this coming week???

Unlikely, PjTierney said we would know when they have a release date and afaik we dont know yet so unlikely it is the coming week sadly

8 hours ago, ScaredDuck said:

When it comes to track licensing there are some on here that seem to think that tracks owners hold all the cards... and to a point they are right.. but only to a point..  for instance ordinarily this f1 series will have a full roster off tracks for the current f1 season.  So the track owners can push for more knowing codemasters need the track license. 

But that only relates to current tracks in the actual f1 roster.

But tracks that are not have no cards...  owners of Sepang for instance...  Amazing track and facilities.. and capable off hosting a F1 race... The overhead to running a race track are huge..  and tracks are always looking for ways to increase income from holding races to hosting weddings...  So if a game developers approached them to include their track in a game that will be sold round the world. Of course they will want to give you a license but as they are not on the roster and will only be available as track option in career mode outside the current year:..  Codemasters can say we would love to have sepang  our game. As it’s a favourite for gamers to race on:   But as your not currently holding. A F1 race we can only offer to patch x which is much less than we pay for current f1 tracks.   However is fom add you to any years roster during the license period we will pay the premium... If these terms are not acceptable we are sorry for wasting you time..  Sepang will accept.  It’s still a win win for them

Like you say it's a win win gives that circuit added PR, exposure, and other related things. You could say the same for codemasters as more people will play the game longer post release after the initial hype has died down. Plus the chatter about it on various social channels.

Heck I've seen people already giving praise to codemasters for building the portimao circuit. It may be late but it counts as post release content. I suppose the biggest question is why in the hell haven't codemasters started releasing extra tracks already. Whoever is in control of matters there doesn't seem to have much logical common sense. Either that or the team itself is very small that's split in two. One working on the following game a year in advance while a small group continues it's work on this current game. It would explain the reasons of not being able to get their features finished/polished in time  

We never get told anything anyway. Trying to get information on here is worse than blood from a stone. So all I can do is speculate. 

Edited by Chromatic
  • Agree 1
On 10/2/2021 at 12:59 PM, KNT2011 said:

I find that the less information available for something then the more will be written about it as there’s more to speculate about.    
It’s one of the more interesting discussion paths on here when people suggest various reasons why things aren’t available, as opposed to the usual “waaahh, this sucks, that sucks, everything sucks, why don’t they fix it?” with no context.

Obviously it’s better to have the actual answer but people learn new things from the speculation anyway so I don’t see the harm in discussing it in the interim? I imagine people have more awareness of how licensing can be a pain just by observing other people merely speculating, so it has some uses.

• Disagree 1
38 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

Like you say it's a win win gives that circuit added PR, exposure, and other related things. You could say the same for codemasters as more people will play the game longer post release after the initial hype has died down. Plus the chatter about it on various social channels.

Heck I've seen people already giving praise to codemasters for building the portimao circuit. It may be late but it counts as post release content. I suppose the biggest question is why in the hell haven't codemasters started releasing extra tracks already. Whoever is in control of matters there doesn't seem to have much logical common sense. Either that or the team itself is very small that's split in two. One working on the following game a year in advance while a small group continues it's work on this current game. It would explain the reasons of not being able to get their features finished/polished in time  

We never get told anything anyway. Trying to get information on here is worse than blood from a stone. So all I can do is speculate. 

Maybe its also a long time a track takes? Up to 9 months for a track and each additional track adds more time for each year development. Its not only, do the track once and be done. They need to update sponsors and visuals, need to train the AI for every circumstance for each track.. It already takes them quite some time to do that for 21 tracks, now imagine if they had 30 tracks.. The game would be much much better for it yes but its also much more work its not so easy.. I dont know how big the F1 game team is but its official that they have it split in 2 teams and the team that made F1 2021 will start work on F1 2023 in January, meanwhile the other team is already working on F1 2022

• Agree 2
2 hours ago, Meza994 said:

Maybe its also a long time a track takes? Up to 9 months for a track and each additional track adds more time for each year development. Its not only, do the track once and be done. They need to update sponsors and visuals, need to train the AI for every circumstance for each track.. It already takes them quite some time to do that for 21 tracks, now imagine if they had 30 tracks.. The game would be much much better for it yes but its also much more work its not so easy.. I dont know how big the F1 game team is but its official that they have it split in 2 teams and the team that made F1 2021 will start work on F1 2023 in January, meanwhile the other team is already working on F1 2022

Possibly. Hard to say how long it takes. It's not years which is nice. I'd say your right about sponsors & visuals changing. The AI as well when the speed and size of the cars change according to the rules. Although the track itself (when theirs no change to the layout) surroundings curbs elevation etc for the most part are carried over from the previous games.  

Edited by Chromatic
1 hour ago, Chromatic said:

Possibly. Hard to say how long it takes. It's not years which is nice. I'd say your right about sponsors & visuals changing. The AI as well when the speed and size of the cars change according to the rules. Although the track itself (when theirs no change to the layout) surroundings curbs elevation etc for the most part are carried over from the previous games.  

Yes the kerbs and surroundings are generally the same but in case of Portimao we know the minimum time of about 6 months for a new track. Imola was confirmed on the calendar in January and they will release it this month so it 9 months.. Probably somewhere around that on average and the AI needs to be retrained basically for every new game because either the performances change or the handling model changes. The first happens basically everytime and a change in Aerodynamic performance of a car requires retraining of the AI sadly and the latter also happens almost every year so yeah thats quite a bit.. If it would generate enough positive feedback in the media tho there would be at least an argument for the people looking for money at EA lol

• PJTierney changed the title to Portimao, Imola & Jeddah: Out Now ✅
  • PJTierney unpinned this topic