Jump to content Jump to content

Would you want more of story mode or would you rather do without it?

Would you want more of story mode or would you rather do without it?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want more of story mode or would you rather do without it?

• Cut Story Mode and focus that resource on realism, career mode, and/or improved tracks
    • Continue to add to Story Mode(Braking Point)
    • Other - Please explain

While Braking Point, imo, was far from boring, I felt the storyline could use a bit more work and there lacked consequences to my actions.  I thought, if given the opportunity to choose between having more of this Braking Point story or have the devs focus on getting improved realism and content, I would gladly choose the latter.

What about you?

I wish all decisions in life were this easy. Yes, improve the game at the expense of an unnecessary story mode. If I wanted all of that, I'd purchase a Netflix subscription.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Disagree 2

Given how the current state of F1 2021 is... without.   Most definitely without.    Regardless of everything else though, still my answer is without.  I have no use for those kinds of modes in sports sims, or sport sim-cade style games.  I play games like this for the career modes.  Both of which have been neglected this year basically due to the story mode.   So yeah... easy choice for me.  Without; I find it an incredible waste of resources to be honest.

• Agree 3

I would MUCH rather have the 2019 driver career mode back on top of improvements on My Team than a story mode where you don't ever really race because it's all scripted anyway. What's even the point of this, a mode in a racing game with no actual racing?

Also not only bring back classic cars, but expand the list for 2011-2017 cars. And with the recent success of the 2003 mod for F1 2020 on PC, why not make a classic F1 season with the full grid lineup? People would jump on that for sure.

Literally anything is better and more hype than a linear 6h long story mode I'll only play once.

• Agree 4

The problem I have with story mode is that I've played through it by now, and I see no reason to play it again until F1 2022. That means i now have a new mode that will remain unused for almost a year because i have seen and done everything by now.

I like the feature of story mode but atm it's fixed to one timeline to one outcome. It would be nice to see how certain choices or mistakes could change the outcome. Or I'd like to see more of those cut scene features in career mode, perhaps for press conferences, interviews and team meetings etc. A lot of people liked the idea of a story mode initially. Interesting now a lot of people aren't. 

My 8 year old loves it, and forces me to drive it to see the story - enough said.

As for an F1 simulation (which is what I am looking for) I can do perfectly without it and would have preferred the new tracks to be ready and the story mode to be added later. But you cant have everything. Also, the CGI animations are awesome quality and I would love to have those instead of the "old" ingame graphics for victory celebrations etc, this is kind of overdue with the "old" game engine we got.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

It holds no appeal for me. While I am not looking for 100% real F1 simulation (but a fun distraction with my favourite sport) there were many other features I would prefer like flexible race order, nice liveries for my team, options around weather for solo play in career and my team, fictional rookie drivers after year 1 including more diversity. While I did develop a rivalry in 2019 with Weber (not Butler) I could do the same with any driver if the press asked the right questions after the race. 

Definitely without .. I wish it was part of the deluxe edition as with classes driver's as I have no interest in either of them . So many more things could of been added / kept to improve the overall game or add longevity /variation to it . Improved weather system or even just the 2012 one as still have the same drs deactivated time for inters/ drs activated back to dry tyres is so easy and predictable. Build on myteam mode . Kept and and improved classic content ....  Instead a linear , scripted story with zero replayability , Wrong direction completely and it's made the game a ps store sale pick up when the new tracks are available for me ..... 

Do without it, for 6 hours total( if done on hardest mode ) it’s just not worth the time and effort codemasters put in when that time could be spent improving the game or fixing bugs( eg while certain graphics improved like the grass, the crowd and Marshall’s ar3 still dire).

Main focus should be on career/my team, track accuracy, gameplay, tire and handling model. When all this things be almost perfect then in spare time they can do this story mode.

• Agree 1

Without.

It was okay as far as being entertaining and I liked Casper and Devon as characters but I'd personally prefer more get done to the career modes than focus on a mode many will only play once. 

All that we'll get next year is story mode with branching storylines.

Honestly don't care for it when all the other modes go untouched with primitive customization and little to no immersion.  I mean F1 97 on PS1 had better pre and post race commentary and it had commentary during the race as well.

Keep the story mode.

Drive to Survive is frequently touted as being a major source of new fans in the last span of years, even if some aspects of the content and their sensationalization are objectionable.

Anecdote time. When I was getting back to the sport early on May 2020, watching DTS helped to keep my hype high to that year's season. Come in DTS season 3 and geez this is bad, barring the behind the scenes stuff we don't get to see anywhere. My SO, though? She went from not knowing who the hell Max freaking Verstappen was to watching every qualy and race alongside me and keep tabs with all her favorite teams and drivers on Instagram and Twitter.

This helps my enjoyment of the sport.

A story mode in the game? Not my cup of tea. Will probably not ever play it seriously when I've got My Team and Career available. If it gets to bring new fans to the franchise and secure investments from business partners? I'm all for it.

Codemasters is doing a stellar job of onboarding new gamers. This easily fly under most people's radar here unless someone else points it out. If you're moderately interested in playing the game, it is so goddamn easy to learn the ropes around it on F1 2020 and specially now on F1 2021 that it ever was as recently as 2019. A fun story mode that vibes with the sole major source of new fans the sport as a whole has? Seriously, how can one object that?

A better funded dev team helps with my enjoyment of the game.

What I care about are the core aspects of what this year's edition call the expert experience - that's cute, being tagged expert in something... Anyway, I want a better driving model, realistic physics, better AI and deeper My Team and Career modes. We did not get that with the latter, but what is the overall community impression over 2021's rendition of the other aspects I mentioned?

No hurt in emphasizing it as this is as big of a caveat as they come: as long as improvements are made to the core elements of the game. We do not want another FIFA case in our hands, where the corporates behind it went all in in the monetization modes (FUT) and criminally neglected the career ones. If there are not sensible improvements on the actual driving and racing of the game on future titles, I'm hanging my gloves. 

Also, this is a widely available game, not my personal project.

• Like 2

Just do everyone a favour and make two versions of the game one for adults and the other for children and adults that are still children. and then all this nonsense bickering about all this piffle will just go away , then have a forum for the adult F1 game and a forum for people who are children or who are 50 years old but prefer childrens games.

• Haha 1
  • Disagree 2

If you have only a year to produce a new game. I want more a higher quality season experience with some new tracks on the release day and the real car performance and car models. You play the story mode one or two times, but the heart is the racing on the track and the real carreer mode.
They spend more time to replicate the real tracks and cars.

I voted for cut story mode and focus on Career/My Team.

Braking Point had some decent cutscenes, characters and storyline, though I dropped it after just 2 chapters (and just watch the cutscenes on YouTube). Because personally I've already went way past the point where I would get excited on doing scenario challenges in a racing game, it's just very boring for me. 

MyTeam/Career in this franchise is what really separate it from most other racing titles, there's still an enormous amount of potential yet to be discovered. If the resources had to be reallocate from it to a new story mode that would only takes less than 1% of my playtime (I spent 1500+ hours on last year's MyTeam mode), then I would strongly object the decision.

I mean...once you've finished the story, that's it, there's nearly zero replay value, while I could go on and on with the careers. Being a new person with every new save, facing different and unknown circumstances every time I hit the track, I write my own story, there's unlimited replayability

Though that being said, it's just my opinion, F1 franchise is aim for the regular masses so I could see the reason behind the marketing decision of having Braking Point as the focal point, especially after seeing how successful Drive To Survive had become. It's just that, it really sucks for us really dedicated players knowing the focus in the development this year won't be entirely on the game mode that we most loved.

Edited by DRTApophis
  • Like 1

My bigger concern with the story mode is that it is quite evident this year that it took away from development time in the core modes of this game.  It's in rough shape because of it as far as I'm concerned.  With it being a dead end story here; what happens next year?  Are they going to invest the same time, energy and resources into it and neglect the core game modes again?  If so; this is a train I'll be jumping off of quite quickly.  If it's in the game; great... I'll likely never play it, so I dont care.  The fact of the matter this year though is it has been detrimental to the rest of the game ruining the enjoyment of the core modes all for a 5-6 hour experience.  That is not good in my opinion.  So if they can find a way to keep it without sacrificing things in the core game modes then great... keep it.  If they can't; get rid of it because it simply isnt worth it.

• Agree 1
14 minutes ago, DRTApophis said:

Though that being said, it's just my opinion, F1 franchise is aim for the regular masses so I could see the reason behind the marketing decision of having Braking Point as the focal point, especially after seeing how successful Drive To Survive had become. It's just that, it really sucks for us really dedicated players knowing the focus in the development this year won't be entirely on the game mode that we most loved.

Indeed, mate. I'd love to see they going guns blazing and espresso brewing non-stop on driving model, physics, AI, Career and My Team.

If I were to list everything available from the top of my head:

• Braking point - will not ever boot it for myself, but the missus will love it!
  • Casual mode - will never use it, but the missus will be grateful for it.
  • Career and My Team - please, stop everything else and just improve on these two!
  • Championship - nice to have and I'd like to see it expanded with new voiceover lines every season
  • Classic cars - nice to have, but never used them outside of career events. If they cost resources, either money for licensing or work hours to package, I'm glad it was cut.
  • Grand Prix - play only occasionally. Could stay as-is for the foreseeable future and I would not shed a tear.
  • Online events - play only occasionally. Could stay as-is, too.
  • Online lobbies - not my jam. They could cease developing them as far as I'm concerned.
  • Splitscreen - would like to see performance improvements but just enough to make it ok.
  • Time Trial - use it only to learn tracks and analyze aspects of my setup that are not tire dependent. Other than that, I'd be ok for it to be frozen in time and everyone else who pours hours in the timesheets could take a hike.
  • Two player career  - would love to see crossplay implemented and further development, yes!

Now ask anyone else to post their lists and it would be quite diverse. But there's that saying, a rising tide lifts all boats. As I said in my previous post, I think it is myopic to ask to axe this or that mode. This is not Assetto Corsa Competizione, which is the narrowest focused racing title I can come up with. Codemasters F1 franchise has been catering for a diverse audience for a long time now, long long time, and that's what brought all of us here, to the point of engaging with the community routinely. 

I'm glad for Braking Point even though I'll never personally play it. The same applies to the revamped casual mode. And I'm happy with the improvements made to all the elements I really do care, except maybe Career and My Team that, in my opinion, could have been further improved. I honestly think it is myopic to ask for cuts and freezes on the game modes and aspects we do not give a care, the audience is already diversified and justifiably so.

A rising tide lifts all boats. It is not only Liberty Media that profited from Drive to Survive; even Mercedes must be thankful for the renewed interest in the sport.

1 hour ago, MadEvilBeavis76 said:

If you have only a year to produce a new game. I want more a higher quality season experience with some new tracks on the release day and the real car performance and car models. You play the story mode one or two times, but the heart is the racing on the track and the real carreer mode.
They spend more time to replicate the real tracks and cars.

This is a yearly franchise, but I'd wager the changes we're seeing – from Braking Point to the diffuser actually generating downforce this time – are the product of a 2-3 years development cycle.

• Agree 2

Story or any kind of scripted scenarios just don't belong in sports games, simple as that. It may be fun for the first time playthrough of course but that's it. Career modes have so much more potential to create your own stories in these games. That's where the content/replayability is. Spend your resources on that.

NBA 2k's Myleague is a great example. Insanely customizable, you can manage all teams, make transfers between them, rule changes, literally whatever you want. It's a sandbox. Your imagination is the story. Imagine if F1 games had that...

• Agree 1
4 minutes ago, Zviko said:

NBA 2k's Myleague is a great example. Insanely customizable, you can manage all teams, make transfers between them, rule changes, literally whatever you want. It's a sandbox. Your imagination is the story. Imagine if F1 games had that...

NBA 2K's also have MyCareer, where you play as the son of a legendary basketball player and try to create your own legacy. Cutscenes and drama aplenty. It does seem pretty popular:image.thumb.png.d79118fec2c3f78b45e3850180aa1a3d.png

So I guess not a good example of "story or any kind of scripted scenarios not belonging in sports games"? 

Not trying to antagonize you, mate. My point was already stated in my two posts above. These game modes do give traction to the franchise, bringing in new players and expanding the audience. As long as the devs do not neglect other elements and aspects of the game, this is an investment in the future of the franchise and I'm all for it. 

With the acquisition by EA (and hopefully a healthy relationship of good funding, cooperation and independence), we "serious players" have only to benefit from it in the long term.

Also don't forget NBA 2k have been refining these story modes for few years but many of the community still bash them saying they boring etc so never please everyone. But it the f1 first attempt and although I'll never touch it personally like mentioned above if it brings more fans and in turn more money to the development team it a good thing. Just depends on how they spread the development in future if they continue with the story then it shouldn't hurt the core modes which seems to be the general opinion this year .

• Agree 1