Jump to content Jump to content

Would you want more of story mode or would you rather do without it?


Would you want more of story mode or would you rather do without it?  

98 members have voted

  1. 1. Would you want more of story mode or would you rather do without it?

    • Cut Story Mode and focus that resource on realism, career mode, and/or improved tracks
    • Continue to add to Story Mode(Braking Point)
    • Other - Please explain


Recommended Posts

50 minutes ago, marioho said:

NBA 2K's also have MyCareer, where you play as the son of a legendary basketball player and try to create your own legacy. Cutscenes and drama aplenty. It does seem pretty popular:image.thumb.png.d79118fec2c3f78b45e3850180aa1a3d.png

So I guess not a good example of "story or any kind of scripted scenarios not belonging in sports games"? 

Not trying to antagonize you, mate. My point was already stated in my two posts above. These game modes do give traction to the franchise, bringing in new players and expanding the audience. As long as the devs do not neglect other elements and aspects of the game, this is an investment in the future of the franchise and I'm all for it. 

With the acquisition by EA (and hopefully a healthy relationship of good funding, cooperation and independence), we "serious players" have only to benefit from it in the long term.

They focused on modes that give reason to come back to all year long first, that was my point. Game modes with scripted scenarios are 1 and dones. No replayability, waste of resources when there's so much room for improvement where that is the case. 2k has done that already, plus the game is so much easier to mod. They can afford expanding in that direction, I still think it's a waste though.

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm the only one that did other lol! I absolutely loved Braking Point. It was fun, different (as I normally dedicate my time entirely to career mode) and entertaining, you get the racing with a bit of the wild F1 drama. Far better than any British soap!

 

But though I'd love to see this continue I wouldn't want it to take away from the main objective. This game has hands down the best AI of any game but shouldn't then sit back to let others catch up. Back markers are still a bit weird and the AI can still back right off if you undercut them, causing them to come off the racing line but still on track with no contact. The Safety Car is actually a bit entertaining but definitely broken, that would be nice to see working smoothly. And the biggest thing, graphics.. For some reason most "official" games are pretty poor, WRC is grainy like F1 and NASCAR is laughable. But then you get arcade games like Forza and NFS can often look stunning! And GT Sport replays even on PS4 look amazing! I still look in awe at an old clip I made of a Mitsubishi Evo X at Tokyo, and even used SHAREfactory which can often lower resolution in processing. F1 is amazing for what it is, the limitations are being broken bit by bit with team creation and even 2nd driver options including now the icons pack. But it's still looking really poor in other areas. I'd love to see a Sony partnership in like what they did with F1 Championship Edition, a PS3 game that still looks good and has stunning replays. Why do we often loose that in games? Why are we using heavy grains and washed out looks but more basic games super smooth and vibrant? This I'd love to see overall as the more grainy games can often be harder on the eyes too. I guess we'll see bit improvements anyway with next gen consoles but just a general smoothing would be nice to see.

  • Agree 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Too much resources went into online and career. Next time just dump career and online and make it a 60h story mode only game. 

If people didn't like it it's just because they didn't put all te development budget into the story mode 😈

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wasn't excited about the BP mode when I heard about it. Played through it anyway, just to see how it turned out. I'd say it was a letdown, but I can see how it might bring more fans in to the franchise.

But no, I'd cut it. If they'd spent all the resources on adding tracks to the game instead of developing BP, I'd be a happier customer.

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/19/2021 at 1:10 PM, marioho said:

NBA 2K's also have MyCareer, where you play as the son of a legendary basketball player and try to create your own legacy. Cutscenes and drama aplenty. It does seem pretty popular:image.thumb.png.d79118fec2c3f78b45e3850180aa1a3d.png

So I guess not a good example of "story or any kind of scripted scenarios not belonging in sports games"? 

Not trying to antagonize you, mate. My point was already stated in my two posts above. These game modes do give traction to the franchise, bringing in new players and expanding the audience. As long as the devs do not neglect other elements and aspects of the game, this is an investment in the future of the franchise and I'm all for it. 

With the acquisition by EA (and hopefully a healthy relationship of good funding, cooperation and independence), we "serious players" have only to benefit from it in the long term.

The biggest plus of mycareer in this case is that the "story" part is a prologue, then you get into the mode proper that has interviews that increase some stats or decrease it, some reaction of the league with milestones. When they tried to insert story into the career, it was most of the time a miss.

I would continue to play BP if the game placed me in the second season onwards as jackson, even if not canonical by the next game Tbh.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A few things to consider;

  • The people on this forum aren't really the intended audience for this new mode. On other forums and fan-groups, the mode is quite popular.  However, the majority of people on here have been playing the game for a while and it's deviating from the modes they previously liked, so it's only natural feedback seems overwhelmingly negative.
  • This was their first dipping the toe in the water at a story. The first attempt at any new game mode is usually abit lacklustre until they build on it.
  • This is Pre-EA resourcing. With more resources to put towards it, it's possible that future iterations will have alot more playability.
  • It's generally piggy-backing onto the hype of DTS which already has seen waning public perception in the last season.  May just be a case of striking while the iron is hot and they'll move away from the soap-drama storyline.
  • Most the things that have been cut have been because they were the things that were the most expendable and/or least used.  It may be the case that they'd ran their course anyway and weren't intended to be included anyway. 

 

I believe there are two teams that alternate their focus on a game. For example, one primary team focuses on the iteration that is coming next and then there's a separate team that are doing the preliminary work for the game that follows afterwards in a bi-yearly game cycle. Which means they'll probably have something similar for next year as there wouldn't be many 'lessons learned' from this edition.   I may be mistaken and that was just hearsay though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely no story mode.

This series was fantastic. Every year they improved aspects that made the game better. This year they erased the classic cars, a series of tournaments and nothing improved the career mode and my team... All because of the story mode.

Story mode which in reality is very poorly accomplished. The results you get on the track aren't in the least reflected in the story mode which is clearly a hollywood movie with a bad script.

Develop more in myteam mode, in career mode and bring back the classic cars if possible with a series of championships to be played with them (like they had in the last games). The last two deluxe editions had been very good with the bet on senna vs Prost and Schumacher. Don't turn this into a children's game...

Please don't make this a new FIFA series...

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

EA are notorious for focusing on monetizing and useless features/modes/pretty much anything but actually making a better game. EA destroyed the Madden franchise and turned it into trash thats so glitched with legacy issues it’s laughable so I don’t have much faith that the true core users/loyalists of the F1 series will be treated any differently.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Bhawk67 said:

EA are notorious for focusing on monetizing and useless features/modes/pretty much anything but actually making a better game. EA destroyed the Madden franchise and turned it into trash thats so glitched with legacy issues it’s laughable so I don’t have much faith that the true core users/loyalists of the F1 series will be treated any differently.  


You're probably right...
But we have to hope that the same doesn't happen with this series

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SmokyAtom07 said:
  • This was their first dipping the toe in the water at a story. The first attempt at any new game mode is usually abit lacklustre until they build on it.

What about 2019? Admittedly that was a lot less of a story but there were cutscenes with Butler/Weber.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, diderooy said:

What about 2019? Admittedly that was a lot less of a story but there were cutscenes with Butler/Weber.

I can see what you mean but I barely count that as a story.  You had a few scenario based cutscenes that had zero impact on anything as it didn't matter and then a series of bland text messages and faux-interviews with cliche comments that didn't really make any difference to anyones career paths when you made it to F1. Devon being a stereotypical arrogant jerk and Weber being a boring goody-two-shoes. meant neither seemed to have much personality.   Devon, at least, seems more fleshed out this year but still abit of a pantomime villain.

That 2019 effort seemed to act as more of a teaser for what was to come rather than an actual attempt at integrating a story mode.  This was their first honest-to-god, we've done the best we can and got some big-boy storywriters in, attempt and I think reaction has been... lukewarm.   They've got positive feedback in alot of places regarding the story but definitely not on here!   

Link to post
Share on other sites

My opinion is - it depends on how many hours goes into making braking point.  How many hours of staff were hired and contracted to do braking point, if they cut braking point would those hours actually be re-invested into the game and finally do any of the extra hours add to the cost of the final product and if so how much?  Could it be DLC can they cover their cost that way and give extra content to those who want it?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/22/2021 at 3:56 PM, Acerees said:

My opinion is - it depends on how many hours goes into making braking point.  How many hours of staff were hired and contracted to do braking point, if they cut braking point would those hours actually be re-invested into the game and finally do any of the extra hours add to the cost of the final product and if so how much?  Could it be DLC can they cover their cost that way and give extra content to those who want it?  

To hear Lee Mather tell it, BP is the big selling point. That's what he was quoted everywhere saying, time and time again: how proud they were of the finished BP product. I don't recall them saying that nearly as much about anything else. I think one can reasonably only infer that he's talking about a creative process that they had (meaning they weren't worried as much about being creative about anything else in the game) and/or it being a large portion of their hours (larger than any other new feature/rework/anything besides bug-fixing).

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2021 at 11:44 AM, diderooy said:

To hear Lee Mather tell it, BP is the big selling point. That's what he was quoted everywhere saying, time and time again: how proud they were of the finished BP product. I don't recall them saying that nearly as much about anything else. I think one can reasonably only infer that he's talking about a creative process that they had (meaning they weren't worried as much about being creative about anything else in the game) and/or it being a large portion of their hours (larger than any other new feature/rework/anything besides bug-fixing).

It’s just how marketing works pal.  That being said they obviously have spent time on it but as per my original comment it depends did they get a bigger budget to accommodate the extra work.  If the balance was right it would have had been a very small distraction and wouldn’t have interfered with the end product.  If the balance was wrong then yes the end product will have suffered.  We just don’t know the answers and never will.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/22/2021 at 11:54 AM, Jagr25Scp said:

Definitely no story mode.

This series was fantastic. Every year they improved aspects that made the game better. This year they erased the classic cars, a series of tournaments and nothing improved the career mode and my team... All because of the story mode.

Story mode which in reality is very poorly accomplished. The results you get on the track aren't in the least reflected in the story mode which is clearly a hollywood movie with a bad script.

Develop more in myteam mode, in career mode and bring back the classic cars if possible with a series of championships to be played with them (like they had in the last games). The last two deluxe editions had been very good with the bet on senna vs Prost and Schumacher. Don't turn this into a children's game...

Please don't make this a new FIFA series...

Every year they improved aspects that made the game better.

except for online which was trash from the start, is still trash and will always be trash if they don’t overhaul the complete system in stead of copy pasting the same every year and saying they improved it (with a bit graphical design). Filters don’t work, only 25 lobbies to see in unranked? I mean…. They finally made a filter which should make navigating the ensless list of lobbies EASIER because you SHOULD be able to filter on assists, and it’s broken from the get go. And that’s always the same story every single year again. The things they introduce as new, 99% are broken! 
 

and don’t even get me started on ranked and the so called “skill” level which doesn’t reward skill in anyway whatsoever. It’s kinda annoying to climb up in skill level if you can’t finish a race because of the griefers, dirty drivers, rammers, people who wait for a lap to take people out, and worst of all The so called “master” skilled assists using scumbags with a “S” rating that know exactly how to PIT people and eliminating them without themselves getting any damage or a penalty. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Acerees said:

It’s just how marketing works pal.

I am aware that's how marketing works. And, based on their product and their marketing of the product, they now have a result like this thread. Seems like a con.

Note that the pros may outweigh the cons, but this thread and others like it form part of their budgeting/marketing equation for future games.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AlexTT said:

Every year they improved aspects that made the game better.

except for online which was trash from the start, is still trash and will always be trash if they don’t overhaul the complete system in stead of copy pasting the same every year and saying they improved it (with a bit graphical design). Filters don’t work, only 25 lobbies to see in unranked? I mean…. They finally made a filter which should make navigating the ensless list of lobbies EASIER because you SHOULD be able to filter on assists, and it’s broken from the get go. And that’s always the same story every single year again. The things they introduce as new, 99% are broken! 
 

and don’t even get me started on ranked and the so called “skill” level which doesn’t reward skill in anyway whatsoever. It’s kinda annoying to climb up in skill level if you can’t finish a race because of the griefers, dirty drivers, rammers, people who wait for a lap to take people out, and worst of all The so called “master” skilled assists using scumbags with a “S” rating that know exactly how to PIT people and eliminating them without themselves getting any damage or a penalty. 

I see what you mean. I don't play F1 online precisely because of these idiots. In fact, it was this type of behavior that was constant in a series of games that took my interest in playing online, whatever the game. Right now, I play only offline.

Regarding F1 games I have been playing since 1989 when I started playing the old Super Monaco GP for Mega drive. I played every title since 2009 produced by codemasters and this was the one that disappointed me the most. Because the news didn't make up for the losses and because the big news (breaking point) is absolutely horrible at all levels.

As an example right from the start if you win with Aiden the Australian GP you receive contradictory messages...you receive an email from your team leader congratulating you for the big win and at the same time you are getting a call saying that your attitude (I remember the episode in which you removed your teammate from the track) meant that the team won 0 points that weekend. This is repeated over and over again...a bad mode, with bad script and with a linear and drying story because it doesn't keep up with the results you get on the track.

In my opinion, it was much more profitable, instead of this breaking point, make a kind of scenarios recreating mythical situations that remained in the history of F1 (eg. the hunt's victory in the drivers championship having changed tires 4 laps from the end, the epic victory of senna in monaco, etc, etc, etc)

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Acerees said:

It’s just how marketing works pal.  That being said they obviously have spent time on it but as per my original comment it depends did they get a bigger budget to accommodate the extra work.  If the balance was right it would have had been a very small distraction and wouldn’t have interfered with the end product.  If the balance was wrong then yes the end product will have suffered.  We just don’t know the answers and never will.

I think it’s pretty clear what the answer is from the amount of basic stuff that should be in a game representing the F1 2021 season but isn’t...

Link to post
Share on other sites

It is so boring doing story missions or my team management as in 2020. They put different unnecessary modes every year. Before 2016 it was really good.

But also there are some trophies which require practice programmes, r&d points, 50 things (level 50, win 50 races, complete 50 races etc), interview questions and so on.

Those are really boring for me. Those story, management, interview things are coming far away from ps2 toca race driver till today.

But enough is enough.

I just want to race, i dont want to make a practice and develop the car, i dont want to play 50-100 races to get a bronze trophy.

I want to get all the trophies by just simple and plain racing.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Play as a young male driver on his way to being world champion? What interest would that be to me? I don't indulge my passion for F1, to fulfill a dream of being a guy... come on CM its 2021.... girls play games and race cars you know.

Edited by KittyFit90
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...