Jump to content Jump to content

AI ridiculously fast in high speed corners

Hello everyone.  I'm new to this forum but I'm over on the F1 Game subreddit and I posted this topic here last night about Zandvoort.  Apparently it's well known already but I figured I'd throw my post in here as well.  I tried to mimic the Red Bull in this clip but it didn't work out very well.  I had to slow way down to make it through turns 7 and 8 compared to the AI and what the racing line said I should be able to do.  At turn 8 where I just understeer off the circuit, the racing line was green meaning I should be able to put on the gas through there and not need to slow down and I was in the gear it suggested.  What I actually had to do was downshift further to 5th gear and coast a bit through there before putting the gas down again right before the next corner.

• Agree 2
5 hours ago, ponmbr said:

Hello everyone.  I'm new to this forum but I'm over on the F1 Game subreddit and I posted this topic here last night about Zandvoort.  Apparently it's well known already but I figured I'd throw my post in here as well.  I tried to mimic the Red Bull in this clip but it didn't work out very well.  I had to slow way down to make it through turns 7 and 8 compared to the AI and what the racing line said I should be able to do.  At turn 8 where I just understeer off the circuit, the racing line was green meaning I should be able to put on the gas through there and not need to slow down and I was in the gear it suggested.  What I actually had to do was downshift further to 5th gear and coast a bit through there before putting the gas down again right before the next corner.

Funny you should mention the racing line, I just wanted to make a post about it. Apparently the racing line correlates directly to the way AI drives. Or maybe it's the other way around, I'm not sure. Either way, they're identical. As a consequence, racing line is completely wrong in all the corners that AI are taking faster than they should. In Pouhon the line remains green all the way though the corner, suggesting no lifts or braking, but you can't actually do that. And in T7 of Zandvoort you have to brake earlier and harder than the line suggests in order to make the corner. If you drive according to the racing line, you just understeer off the track.

I hope that Codies are already at work on a patch that'll fix both these issues, seeing as they're apparently related, but just in case, I thought it's worth mentioning that the racing line is just as broken as AI are.

UPD

I've been thinking, guys. What if it's not AI and/or racing line that are broken? What if WE are? What if we're simply not getting as much front downforce as we actually should? I just find it weird that there's this huge understeer that we can do nothing about. People are trying to compensate with the setups, but even if they're setting max front wing, it's still not enough. It's just not normal. Even taking into account the new regulations, the 10% downforce reduction was to the REAR, not the front. It's the rear end of the floor that was affected, nothing else. So why are we having this problem? Why do we suddenly have a fraction of the front downforce we used to have, literally for no reason? Surely, this can't be intentional.

Edited by CityGhostGamer
2 hours ago, CityGhostGamer said:

Funny you should mention the racing line, I just wanted to make a post about it. Apparently the racing line correlates directly to the way AI drives. Or maybe it's the other way around, I'm not sure. Either way, they're identical. As a consequence, racing line is completely wrong in all the corners that AI are taking faster than they should. In Pouhon the line remains green all the way though the corner, suggesting no lifts or braking, but you can't actually do that. And in T7 of Zandvoort you have to brake earlier and harder than the line suggests in order to make the corner. If you drive according to the racing line, you just understeer off the track.

I hope that Codies are already at work on a patch that'll fix both these issues, seeing as they're apparently related, but just in case, I thought it's worth mentioning that the racing line is just as broken as AI are.

UPD

I've been thinking, guys. What if it's not AI and/or racing line that are broken? What if WE are? What if we're simply not getting as much front downforce as we actually should? I just find it weird that there's this huge understeer that we can do nothing about. People are trying to compensate with the setups, but even if they're setting max front wing, it's still not enough. It's just not normal. Even taking into account the new regulations, the 10% downforce reduction was to the REAR, not the front. It's the rear end of the floor that was affected, nothing else. So why are we having this problem? Why do we suddenly have a fraction of the front downforce we used to have, literally for no reason? Surely, this can't be intentional.

It definitely felt like the line was wrong compared to what I was doing last year on these same circuits.  I just have to use it as a suggestion now and not use it as liberally as I was I suppose.  As far as which is broken, them or us?  I honestly have no idea.  It definitely feels like the AI are still driving 2020 spec cars taking turns flat and we're driving 2021 cars.  And when I was watching the Red Bull ahead of me from my perspective, the car didn't even look like it was actually driving.  It almost looked like it was gliding over the circuit just above it.  And then they would gap me and I'd have to try and make time up elsewhere.  As I understand it, Silverstone was the same way and I definitely experienced it.  I was probably losing 7-8 tenths or more to the AI at Copse.   I'm not the greatest player; I race against mid 80s AI and I'm not very consistent and abuse flashbacks like crazy, but it definitely didn't feel fun the way I was getting abused by them at Silverstone.

• Agree 2
48 minutes ago, ponmbr said:

As I understand it, Silverstone was the same way and I definitely experienced it.  I was probably losing 7-8 tenths or more to the AI at Copse.

Yeah, it's the same. Though not as bad as Zandvoort T7, that one's the worst. Also there's T12 in Spa, last 2 turns in Austria, Ascari chicane in Monza, Mexico with the high speed esses and, judging by the last video from Tom97, Suzuka as well. Maybe even more.

Edited by CityGhostGamer
  • Agree 1

Spa, Monza Ascari, Zandvoort, Austria, Japan, Britain all are very hard due to the AI having insane grip.

Pouon for instance the AI take with a small lift in 8th and then full power.. myself - A downshift to 7th and then deal with the understeer mid corner. 

it was that bad in the race I was being overtaken midway through the corner.

• Agree 1
On 7/20/2021 at 4:22 AM, SCStunner said:

Hi everyone,

So, i had this suspicion while racing Silverstone in MyTeam, where the AI has insane grip through the second sector (especially Copse). You can check Tom97's video in regards:

I got to Spa in my career, and the same happens through Pouhon (I've read about Zandvoort too, but yet to race it). The AI just has so much grip, it can go easily flat without understeer or lateral sliding that the player has to deal instead. I recorded a quick video to compare myself to the AI in that corner:

Granted, it's a MyTeam car vs a Red Bull, but a 40 kph difference in that corner is not realistic at all, also given I was trying out quite high wings (7-9).

Hopefully we can being this issue to the developer's attention, as it is more frustrating than the AI just being faster overall (we can't turn down the difficulty for just one corner).

Thank God it’s not just me! I totally thought “have I forgot how to drive these damn cars?”  I must have tried 50 different setups trying to come close to the speed ai flew though that corner. Lol, yes CM please fix dis!

• Agree 2
On 7/22/2021 at 11:08 AM, NinjaElmo said:

The AI being way to fast in that one corner on Zandvoort sometimes has its benefits...

This exact same crash happened to me there in my race there.  I posted the clip on aarava's subreddit.  That's also the same race where I posted my issue with the AI from up above.  It also provided me a certain benefit.  I ended up getting P2 in that race despite the AI pace advantage through T7 and T8 thanks to the safety car from this incident.  Something like 4 cars ended up getting 5 second penalties for ignoring the safety car or something and Lando had a 5 second penalty from the crash itself.  One of the penalties was on Bottas who was leading and after the safety car there were 3 laps left and Bottas was still P1 on the road but Hamilton was right behind him and I was there for a couple corners before Mercedes pulled away but not 5 seconds away so Bottas finished P1 but dropped to P3 and Lewis was promoted to P1 and me to P2.  Lando was in P3 before I passed him on track and then the next lap after, he pulled that stunt and had Ricciardo crash into him.

• Haha 2
  • Administrator

Still under investigation. 

Analysing AI behaviour in certain corners takes a lot of time, and fine tuning it (if happening) even more so. Please be patient

• Thanks 3
  • Agree 3
  • Disagree 1

(if happening) ? It definitely happening just do a qualifying session at Austria and watch the ai absolutely destroy sector 3 . Needs addressing as it also present in other corner as you have been made aware of and it has killed the single player . Can't turn the ai down in a certain sector now can we so turning them down for op tracks is not a option nor should we have to by the way . Also it not present in f2 as they are balanced sector to sector in that but f1 car's are bugged in fast the corners you have been made aware of ....

• Disagree 1
4 hours ago, Naxlr said:

(if happening) ? It definitely happening just do a qualifying session at Austria and watch the ai absolutely destroy sector 3 .  

Barry's 'if happening' referred to fine tuning for a specific corner, not if the AI are cornering quickly too quickly at all.

1 hour ago, Kevin1723 said:

@BarryBL any news regarding this problem? i havent heard anything about it for some time now and i have seen many videos on youtube where this bug is happening and its getting game breaking

It's been less than a week since the last update from Barry where he said it will take some time. Like... come on, man. It's clear that it's gonna take several weeks at the least. It can even take a month or more.

• Agree 1
On 7/20/2021 at 5:22 AM, SCStunner said:

Hi everyone,

So, i had this suspicion while racing Silverstone in MyTeam, where the AI has insane grip through the second sector (especially Copse). You can check Tom97's video in regards:

I got to Spa in my career, and the same happens through Pouhon (I've read about Zandvoort too, but yet to race it). The AI just has so much grip, it can go easily flat without understeer or lateral sliding that the player has to deal instead. I recorded a quick video to compare myself to the AI in that corner:

Granted, it's a MyTeam car vs a Red Bull, but a 40 kph difference in that corner is not realistic at all, also given I was trying out quite high wings (7-9).

Hopefully we can being this issue to the developer's attention, as it is more frustrating than the AI just being faster overall (we can't turn down the difficulty for just one corner).

I think this could be rubberbanding of the AI.

I've just got to Silverstone in career mode, AI at 100 and noticed exactly the same thing. They're impossibly fast around Copse and Becketts for the AI level you're playing at. The overall lap time was fine in qualifying but in the race it's ridiculous. I could be 0.9 ahead before the corner then be 0.2 before hitting Maggotts. This is the case in clean air, it was even worse in dirty air.

Edited by SASColfer
  • Agree 2

I can’t stand in slow corners the ai are fine, but when I hit high speed corners, my car dies and understeers off we’re the ai can easily take it flat out, it’s very annoying around tracks like Spain. And really ruins the experience, so can u fix pls?

• Administrator

Hi,

Thanks for reporting your issue. However, we do need a complete bug report to gain all the details needed to replicate and troubleshoot your issue. Please copy and paste the template from the below and fill in the answers.

https://forums.codemasters.com/topic/79610-bug-reporting-template-all-modes/

Providing this information is vital for Codemasters to be able to investigate, replicate and hopefully solve your issue. Without this, we don't have the necessary information to replicate and diagnose the issue.
Many thanks
Barry

• I first noticed an issue when I was in Spain that the AI was way too fast in a couple of the fast left and right hand corners, particularly the two right handers before the main straight. Again in Silverstone sector 2, again in the fast right handers in the Netherlands, again in the fast corners in Belgium and so on. They were just on rails and as a player it is impossible to keep up, even in the Mercedes which has the best aerodynamics in the game in the Career mode. In short, the AI have too much grip in fast corners. 
    When I try to go at the same speed as the AI through such corners, I just under steer straight off the track whereas they go on the perfect racing line with no issue whatsoever. 
  • N/A
  • PS4
  • Single player Career
  • N/A
  • N/A
  • N/A
  • I have turned the AI difficulty way down to 80 for certain tracks that suffer from this issue, which means I catch them in other, slower corners which they are not so overpowered at, and the AI difficulty to 100 for other tracks, finishing in the same position. 
  • N/A
  • I play the career mode as normal, and in the race, particularly in parts of tracks such as the Netherlands, the cars in front pull away by a couple of tenths and the cars behind gain by around 3 tenths on these fast corners, but by the end of the lap the gap is the same as it was originally. 

I hope that this issue can be solved, as I have seen many other people mentioning the same thing on the forums as well, so that the immersion and experience of the game is not ruined. Thank you 

Edited by 66Moo
I missed a bit of my explanation

Noticed this as well at Silverstone and Spa. Thought it was my setup but in zandvoort is where it is the worst. I'm at ferarri in my career, both Sector 1 and 3 I matched leclerc pretty much spot on. In sector 2 he is a full second quicker than me. I'm running TRL limitless' setup which uses 11/11 wings so it's not like there's much more downforce that can be added! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

this is a duplicated post,

is the main threat for this issue. Please look at the form before posting your self ;)

Posting the bug report template BarryBL mentioned above in the post I mentioned will still help to fix this as soon as possible.

10 hours ago, 66Moo said:

the cars in front pull away by a couple of tenths and the cars behind gain by around 3 tenths on these fast corners, but by the end of the lap the gap is the same as it was originally. 

This is the most frustrating thing. I did a race at Silverstone today in My Team. My car was between Alfa Romeo and Alpha Tauri in terms of performance and MY. GOD. It was so hard to drop Kimi out of my DRS range it was infuriating. The gap was like a pendulum, swinging back and forth between 0.3 and 0.8 lap after lap after lap. I was pushing like crazy, burning all ERS I had, built a gap to 0.8 over the 3rd and 1st sectors, then he gained 0.2 on me through Copse, then another 0.1 through Maggots and Becketts and then used DRS on the Hangar straight and BAM, we're back where we started, do it again.

Tsunoda was in front of me for the first couple of laps, but of course, I didn't have a chance in hell to keep up with him. On a track like Bahrain I maybe even would've been able to overtake him and defend my position afterwards, but not here. I decided to latch onto him and ride his DRS for a while, but as soon as we got to Copse, he said bye-bye and took off into the sunset.

I've now just done qualifying at suzuka and sector 1 esses is just impossible to match the ai. I'm racing 98 difficulty on controller and I'm matching leclerc (teammate) in ferarri sector 2 and 3, but he destroys me in sector 1. Not quite as bad as zandvoort but still a good 0.5 faster. 

Is there a fix being worked on? 

Edited by Youlendile
  • Agree 1