Jump to content Jump to content

What do people think of the kerbs?

So we all know by now that the kerbs are more penal than last year.

At first I thought this was an improvement - got to be more careful, don’t bottom out the car, can’t abuse low ride height etc.

Having played a while though i’m not sure any more. Some kerbs you just can’t touch now, even just with an inside wheel and with high ride height, without being launched into a spin. If this was realistic then fair enough, but the problem is that these same kerbs are used by the drivers in real life, without a hint of the instability they cause in the game.

So i’ve been a bit on the fence with it - i’m all for improved realism, but this change just doesn’t feel like it does that to me. What do you guys think?

14 minutes ago, kalamazoo123 said:

So we all know by now that the kerbs are more penal than last year.

At first I thought this was an improvement - got to be more careful, don’t bottom out the car, can’t abuse low ride height etc.

Having played a while though i’m not sure any more. Some kerbs you just can’t touch now, even just with an inside wheel and with high ride height, without being launched into a spin. If this was realistic then fair enough, but the problem is that these same kerbs are used by the drivers in real life, without a hint of the instability they cause in the game.

So i’ve been a bit on the fence with it - i’m all for improved realism, but this change just doesn’t feel like it does that to me. What do you guys think?

I thought that was the case at first, until I'm starting to get used to it, as well as seeing the difference between a bad car & a good car.

What I've noticed is that, the new game MyTeam car was absolute garbage dealing with the kerbs. But then when I started driving the Mercedes and Redbull, the story is totally different, they ride the kerbs like dream, well, still a bit trickier than 2020 but the difference is dramatic. It's definitely the benefits of having significantly better aero or chassis. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

They are evil things created for the whole damnation of the world! 

While i feel they are overagressive, some setups I made did made possible to attack them, but im not sure how right they are. Some tracks are really great, others I tend to question it. For now im holding an opiniom against it until further testing, but in overall the changes are for the better.

Yeah personally I agreed with making the kerbs not as OP as the last year's game, but indeed in some kerbs they took it a bit too far imo, some kerbs you literally can't even touch without spinning, and by that I don't mean "you can't ride them flat out", I mean "you spin even if you touch them while turning 10 degrees and not pressing the throttle or brakes at all", Susuka comes to mind with its "S curves" kerbs (Turns 3-7). I did a 50% race there some days ago and I think I had to literally use flashbacks in 9 out of 10 laps there. 

2 minutes ago, DRTApophis said:

I thought that was the case at first, until I'm starting to get used to it, as well as seeing the difference between a bad car & a good car.

What I've noticed is that, the new game MyTeam car was absolute garbage dealing with the kerbs. But then when I started driving the Mercedes and Redbull, the story is totally different, they ride the kerbs like dream, well, still a bit trickier than 2020 but the difference is dramatic. It's definitely the benefits of having significantly better aero or chassis. 

This is interesting tho, I only raced using the MyTeam car, which of course is trash in the first season. Maybe it would be a good middleground if there wasn't such a massive difference between good/bad cars regarding kerb stability.

But with all that said, if I had to choose between keeping them like this, or returning to how they were last year, I'd keep them like this.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
1 minute ago, AgusNC said:

Yeah personally I agreed with making the kerbs not as OP as the last year's game, but indeed in some kerbs they took it a bit too far imo, some kerbs you literally can't even touch without spinning, and by that I don't mean "you can't ride them flat out", I mean "you spin even if you touch them while turning 10 degrees and not pressing the throttle or brakes at all", Susuka comes to mind with its "S curves" kerbs (Turns 3-7). I did a 50% race there some days ago and I think I had to literally use flashbacks in 9 out of 10 laps there. 

This is interesting tho, I only raced using the MyTeam car, which of course is trash in the first season. Maybe it would be a good middleground if there wasn't such a massive difference between good/bad cars regarding kerb stability.

But with all that said, if I had to choose between keeping them like this, or returning to how they were last year, I'd keep them like this.

I also think they've changed some of the profile of some of the kerbs, some of them are actually easier to ride over than last year which was literally like ice. The issue seems to be just the massive vibration the car had when you've hit them with a aggressive angle, drove onto them smoothly and they felt just like last year's kerb. 

And I agree, I like it this way, the new challenge really gave the game a different feel to keep it fresh, and when you're able to conquer them it's very rewarding!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Just make the springs a bit softer. Or adjust the roll bar. If your car is stiff as a steel pipe, it will bounce like crazy off curbs. Plus the angle of attacking the curbs is also important, because if your steering angle is too big, it will react when your car gets back on track. 

It asks a much cleaner and way less agressive driving style. Go smooth, or spin out. 😂

• Agree 1
1 minute ago, AlexTT said:

Just make the springs a bit softer. Or adjust the roll bar. If your car is stiff as a steel pipe, it will bounce like crazy off curbs. Plus the angle of attacking the curbs is also important, because if your steering angle is too big, it will react when your car gets back on track. 

It asks a much cleaner and way less agressive driving style. Go smooth, or spin out. 😂

Yeah that’s the thing though, i am using soft springs and high ride height, and i am using decent cars (mostly Ferrari in TT) and i am driving conservatively, and i still feel like some of the kerbs you just can’t touch...

Like i said, if this was realistic, i’d be all for it, but in Real life the drivers ride those kerbs WAY more aggressively than i can (i mean it’s not like i just mess one up now and then, it’s just not even close to being comparable).

I feel at the moment like they’ve just made it harder/changed it for the sake of it, rather than made it more realistic.

TOO soft isn’t good also! Then it starts bouncing of kerbs. Too soft will cause the car to “duck” hard when braking or when going over uneven surfaces, and then the rebound is too big which causes the car too “jump” off kerbs. You have to find the sweet spot, in combination with roll bar which keeps the car not only stable in corners (overhang) but how stiff the connection between both wheels is. One side needs to “catch” the other side when it goes up or down. 

• Agree 1
7 minutes ago, AlexTT said:

TOO soft isn’t good also! Then it starts bouncing of kerbs. Too soft will cause the car to “duck” hard when braking or when going over uneven surfaces, and then the rebound is too big which causes the car too “jump” off kerbs. You have to find the sweet spot, in combination with roll bar which keeps the car not only stable in corners (overhang) but how stiff the connection between both wheels is. One side needs to “catch” the other side when it goes up or down. 

Thanks - some interesting info there. I’ll keep persevering and hopefully find the sweetspot in setup to dial it down a bit.

Out of interest, do you have any recommendations for suspension setup at Hungary and Belgium as these are the two tracks i was driving and getting increasingly frustrated with!

Honestly I love the new kerbs, just means we have to learn to not abuse certain ones as much any more. You can feel the difference in the types of kerbs. 

I have found that a big way to help with them is softening the suspension and of course raising the ride height to increase rear stability.

Personally... I love it.  I hope they don't change it at all; even though it really frustrates me sometimes, but that comes with the territory of playing with a controller.

Edited by petro1319
17 hours ago, kalamazoo123 said:

Thanks - some interesting info there. I’ll keep persevering and hopefully find the sweetspot in setup to dial it down a bit.

Out of interest, do you have any recommendations for suspension setup at Hungary and Belgium as these are the two tracks i was driving and getting increasingly frustrated with!

Git gud?😂 no all joking aside, I can’t tell you that because I’m still looking for the sweetspot myself. Compared to previous years I’m myself around a second of the pace and when I attack corners like before, the track and surroundings fly by 1080 degrees 😜

one tip on pouhon, NEVER hot that inside kerb because your entry speed is high. That corner never changed.

Literally just made a thread on this myself,I personally think these kerbs are completely unrealistic,you can get spun if the side wall of your tyre is against the side of a kerb! It just would never happen in real life F1,on a good proportion of the tracks it is death to go anywhere near a kerb,I also think the kerbs are too high having drove proper sim games where they actually laser scan the tracks.

• Agree 3