Jump to content Jump to content

Thrustmaster - Force Feedback - FFB fading across a session

On 10/30/2021 at 3:43 PM, PiterT2 said:

Esto es una puñetera vergüenza de verdad, meses después de salir el juego y aún seguimos sin la más mínima esperanza de que arregleis esto.

Totalmente de acuerdo.

It's a shame. The game FF is still broken from day one. no real fixes in 4 MONTHS..

• Like 1
  1.  Platform - PC
  2.  Wheel Used - T300
  3.  Game-modes played - All game modes, doesnt matter what order.
  4.  Details on when the fade happened? Fade happens roughly 30-45 minutes into a game session, which makes league racing almost impossible to be consistent. Gradually falls to about 10% of the feedback I start with. Running 75% ffb in software and 100 in game with forced cooling turned on, dont lose ffb in iRacing or ACC
  5.  Firmware and Drivers version - Latest version.
  6.  Does this happen in every session regardless - Yes

I'll add its now been 3 1/2 months since the game was released in early access, I get that this is more difficult to fix because you're struggling to replicate it, but this was reported in the beta and the game costs more than previous games which had more features and actually worked consistently. This game arguably released with a similar level of playability as cyberpunk and its disappointing to see it still be this broken over a quarter into the game cycle.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/9/2021 at 5:21 PM, Exasperated said:

Force feed back fading is usually caused by the motor working overtime as it is receiving masses of in put signals and therefore overheats , you can counter this by selecting fan permanently on in the TM wheel menu and turning down your overall FFB setting in the in game settings ; but the MAIN thing that will help fight FFB fade is modifying your wheel base by adding an external cooling fan and modifying the wheelbase casing to accept it so that the motor receives plenty of fresh cool air to keep it operating at a reasonable temperature , I have a T300RS and I like to use  high levels of FFB and used to have problems in many driving games with FFB fade until I modified the wheelbase so that the motor received more cooling air. I now have zero FFB fade in any driving game.

I feel like this post is underrated. It explains the most probable source of the issue and names various quick-fixes.

I tried various solutions mentioned in this thread and others and thought for a while that disconnecting my controller solved the issue (which it didnt). The only working "solution" for me was setting the fan to permanently on and drastically turning down the FFB (I didnt try adding another fan). I dont especially like it, but at least FFB not fading across the session anymore.

Still waiting for a better fix of course to improve my game experience.

Edited by viness
small correction
  • 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, BarryBL said:

Hi everyone,

A short update here on this one, just to let you know where we are with the issue and the progress made.

With the assistance of our partners at Thrustmaster, we have been working on, and testing a new patch to resolve this issue. However, upon our testing, we did notice that the issue was causing some issues for wheels and had to send the patch back to continue to work in collaboration to ensure the fix, when it comes, will be correct.

Since then, Thrustmaster have kindly sent us a new patch. We will begin testing this new patch this week.

The patch for the "ffb wheels" issue is causing issues for "wheels"? 🤔

As for me the game is no more interesting and I never intensively played it cause of this issue, my question is: How do you prevent this issue to continue or come back in the next issue of F1 game? So I do not burn my money again 😞

Edited by DarthSonic

1. Platform - PS5

2. Thrustmaster T300 RS

3. Game - modes played - every game mode -> FFB is reduced to what is felt as about 10-15% of initial FFB when starting the game. All game modes.

4. Detail when the fade happen - every 45 minutes

5. Firmware: 33 / Driver: 2.10.68.0

6. I've updates the wheel multiple times and FFB is gone every time I play, around 30-45 minutes into it.

Forced fans are on. Happens every time, I've tried with FFB set to everything from 20 to 100, doesn't matter. Wheel base does not get hot.

Only happens in the PS5 version of the game. If I load up the PS4 version, there is no problems with it fading, even with the exact same firmware, driver and FFB settings.

1. Platform - PS5

2. Thrustmaster T300 RS

3. Game - modes played - every game mode -> FFB is reduced to what is felt as about 10-15% of initial FFB when starting the game. All game modes.

4. Detail when the fade happen - every 45 minutes

5. Firmware: 33 / Driver: 2.10.68.0

6. I've updates the wheel multiple times and FFB is gone every time I play, around 30-45 minutes into it.

Forced fans are on. Happens every time, I've tried with FFB set to everything from 20 to 100, doesn't matter. Wheel base does not get hot.

Only happens in the PS5 version of the game. If I load up the PS4 version, there is no problems with it fading, even with the exact same firmware, driver and FFB settings.

1. Platform: PS5

2. Thrustmaster T300RS + Ferrari F1 Wheel Add-on

3. Game mode: every game mode

4. Details when fade happened: In practice about 20-25 minutes in. In qualifying it happens after the first lap, in race also after first lap. It restores after pit stop, then immediately fades after finishing the out lap after pitting.

5. Firmware: Latest - 33 (as of 02 December)

5. Game version: Latest (as of 02 December)

My FFB is set to 92 in-game. I'm only experiencing fading since the Jeddah update, before that it worked correctly. Forced fans is off, but the wheel base is not hot at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Why don't you give the driver / firmware patch for testing? (Or Thrustmaster - there is an open ticket with them from me, I'll ask the question there too)

I've no problem updating my TS-PC as long as it can be reverted to stock (v.13)

Just seems to be slow when you could get feedback.

Edited by steviejay69
Thrustmaster ticket opened RQT-029000-2021 GUI:0001022125

Hi, I am not sure I have fading but as posted under another thread the overall wheel feedback feels light and floaty even at 90 FFB.

1. Platform: PC

2. Thrustmaster T300RS GT

3. Game mode: every game mode

4. Details when fade happened: Overall light / missing feedback

5. Firmware: Latest - 33

5. Game version:

image.png.2aabd0c203626461eada4bd6b5281bc5.png

See my previous response under:

I was thinking this was Thrustmaster related so I understand this thread confirms that there are issues with the wheel support in-game. Not excusing myself or blaming this for my in-game performance but it would be good to know more specifically when this can be resolved as I believe it puts the Thrustmaster users at an potential disadvantage to enjoy this game fully and confidently. I hope the patch would be available soon to exclude the wheel as an issue. 

well going off thrustmasters tweet today about a new feature being added/enabled on the t248 wheel with a driver update tomorrow 
my guess is we should have the updated drivers/firmware with a "fix" Barry mentions in the 3rd reccomended post from December 6th. 

https://twitter.com/TMThrustmaster/status/1470770596896194574?s=20

i am very intrested to try the updated firmware and drivers myself as i have started playing the game the last few weeks again after stopping around a month after release (wanted to wait for all the tracks becasme available) and i have noticed something has changed with FFB in F1 2021 especially with on track effects its very hard to feel the road and what the car is doing especially with the spinny nature of kerbs this year, unsure if this is from thrustmasters side or codemasters side or both? would be good if @BarryBLcould give us some info on this if he is able to?

also it seems to be similar behaviour for nearly every F1 game i have played since 2018 with a wheel where intial launch of the game the FFB felt good (when it worked) and at it's best and for whatever reason through patches etc in the games life cycle it seems to get weaker and you end up having to run diffrent ffb settings to compensate (increased strength) more so with the online modes which genrally felt weaker than offline like GP Mode etc. 

Edited by cearp8858
  • Administrator

This is the firmware update in question, just I was unable to confirm this before Thrustmaster did (makes sense, its their update).

To answer your question, the kerbs are much more a risk vs reward system this year, instead of being painted track extensions. 

1 minute ago, BarryBL said:

This is the firmware update in question, just I was unable to confirm this before Thrustmaster did (makes sense, its their update).

To answer your question, the kerbs are much more a risk vs reward system this year, instead of being painted track extensions. 

oh i know the kerbs are how the dev team wanted them to be although it may be less realistic, i was pointing out how the on track ffb effects have weakened since lauch making it less easy to catch an oversteer moment from taking too much kerb or getting on throttle too early as you cant feel too well what the car is doing. my question was mainly about how the ffb has changed and if this was down to thrustmasters drivers/firmware? 

• Administrator
Just now, cearp8858 said:

oh i know the kerbs are how the dev team wanted them to be although it may be less realistic, i was pointing out how the on track ffb effects have weakened since lauch making it less easy to catch an oversteer moment from taking too much kerb or getting on throttle too early as you cant feel too well what the car is doing. my question was mainly about how the ffb has changed and if this was down to thrustmasters drivers/firmware? 

From my feedback I've had, with a TMX, I've not noticed the changes too much. I can still save my inevitable mistake, its only my talent that runs out. Depends on your FFB levels, I run mine at around 60

1 minute ago, BarryBL said:

From my feedback I've had, with a TMX, I've not noticed the changes too much. I can still save my inevitable mistake, its only my talent that runs out. Depends on your FFB levels, I run mine at around 60

i usually run the default profile the game loads with a rebind on the clucth to use a paddle on my sf1000 rim with TX base and default control panel settings and fan forced on, it has been a while since i had played so could be just me but my memory of how the wheelbase reacted to things the car was doing or just driving just seems a bit diffrent than what it used to be upto about 2 months from launch, maybe tomorrows drivers change things 🤞

On 12/10/2021 at 12:19 PM, cearp8858 said:

i cant see responses about the new firmware/drivers which are coming this month for some reason even tho i can see a pinned/reccomended message abouot them but either way i dont mind testing them also if provided 

Thrustmaster aren't interested in anything other than internal testing according to the response to the ticket I opened. Polite, yet closed.

Only T248 firmware I see is v1.84 but the driver pack hasn't updated (still 2021_TTRS_3) unless it updates within itself. TS-PC firmware still v.13.

10 hours ago, steviejay69 said:

Thrustmaster aren't interested in anything other than internal testing according to the response to the ticket I opened. Polite, yet closed.

Only T248 firmware I see is v1.84 but the driver pack hasn't updated (still 2021_TTRS_3) unless it updates within itself. TS-PC firmware still v.13.

yeah and the tweet where they mention a new driver coming has mysteriously been deleted also.

Capture.PNG.6e5d12b5012995852140b90f46ca568a.PNG

my guess is whatever they changed in driver package 3 or firmware has broken something for all other wheels like its forced anything thats not a t248 on 1 of the presets in the tweet. i dont think we can roll back to a previous firmware version? 

i will be checking their suport page daily and will post here once the new driver package is live.

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, cearp8858 said:

yeah and the tweet where they mention a new driver coming has mysteriously been deleted also.

Capture.PNG.6e5d12b5012995852140b90f46ca568a.PNG

my guess is whatever they changed in driver package 3 or firmware has broken something for all other wheels like its forced anything thats not a t248 on 1 of the presets in the tweet. i dont think we can roll back to a previous firmware version? 

i will be checking their suport page daily and will post here once the new driver package is live.

They could just reissue older firmware with a higher version number I feel.

Will look out for your post!

1.  Xbox Series X
  2.  Thrustmaster TMX Pro
  3.  Game-modes played, in order. 1-2h Multiplayer Online, Gran Prix, Career Single Player or Time Trial (not in succession)
  4.  Details on when the fade happened? I didn't notice any particular moment at which the promblem arises: the problem, therefore, seems to happen randomly at any time during the play (at the start of the game, in the middle or after 1 hour of game) and at any FFB overall (i've tried at 30, 45, 70, 75, 90, 100, 110 and 150: the problem recurs with no differences). The base of the steering wheel does not overheat, so i guess it's not the problem
  5.  Firmware and Drivers version. Firmware: 15, Driver 2021_TTRS_3
  6.  Does this happen in every session? Yes, every time I play, it happens 1 or 3 times during the 2 hours of play
Edited by francyx1