Jump to content Jump to content

That camber does what it is supposed to do I'm fairly confident. Not only because making setups is one of my favorite pastimes in this game, but also from the reviews from more knowledgeable players than me, like Viperconcept

This is not a diss, mind you! I a controller plebe that up until this year still played with ABS on. 

Edited by marioho

The best part of this is that there has been an enormous amount of time wasted by a lot of people just because the in game car set up menu states incorrectly what the max and min amounts of camber are in real terms  , Who cares whether or not this is mathematically correct to state it this way .  Its a good job they added the numbers in there because if the slider just had min left , max right most people would be applying incorrect settings or having a discussion about mathematics and if code masters meant by negative numbers definition  or  just the plain old maximum amount or minimum amount of camber. Anyway its been a pleasure doing business with you  but I've got more important things to do like eye brow rubbing. and wondering If its worth doing it or not.

• Haha 1
On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2021 at 3:04 PM, kalamazoo123 said:

To clarify, when David Greco was saying I misunderstood it was him explaining that max negative camber was on the left because that’s the way the UI works. The minimum mathematical number is on the left. In this case though the minimum mathematical number is the maximum negative camber you can set.

Dont worry, it took me a while to get it too! The explanations and the use of the words max and min in the UI definitely need to be improved. Im actually really surprised CM didnt do this this year as it was clear how much confusion  it caused in that thread last year. Would have been such a simple fix...

Sorry for you having to put up with my nonsense , it finally sank in , I was asleep at the wheel and was taking this pedantic mathematical statement regarding the greater and lesser thing actually having some bearing on  the position of the slider to achieve max or min camber , when of course it has zero relevance unless you are a nerd . The people who make the game are for obvious reasons these types of people , but for the sake of clarity to average users then it would just be easier if they labelled the slider max for 3.50  and min for 2.50  and everything would be clear and more user friendly. Anyway its put to bed now until the next person brings it up again.. Regards

• Agree 1
Posted (edited)

The funny thing about it all.   -3.5 is the smaller number mathematically, but once you add the word Degrees (angle not tempreture), -3.5 becomes the larger.

I just don't get why can't they move the words on the GUI, (Graphic User Interface for those who don't speak nerd).

Does make me wonder if A.I. learning programs get tripped up on these sorts of things.

at least everyone now knows, all the way left for the MOST camber, and all the way right for speed speed speed, LEAST camber.

Edited by F1Superfan
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

To be completely fair, the main problem is that each setup option doesnt have it very clear how its meant to be every change you made. Camber could be worked even in numerical modulus and the description making it clear that F1 always uses negative camber and it could make more sense.

That being said, I think we need clearer descriptions or a tweaked UI, even though that shouldnt be a problem at all

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

It just amazes me that more detailed descriptions haven’t been added over the years. It’s not like it would take any development time or testing or anything - just add to the text!

It seems there’s no love for this game from the devs anymore. I think you could see there was for the first few years but after that it’s just churn and repeat year after year. Thinks have improved (mostly the handling which is the most important thing to me) so i’m not really complaining, just like i say seems there’s no love for it when it comes to the simple things they could so easily improve.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 7/22/2021 at 6:25 PM, Exasperated said:
  • Front Camber [-3.50° <-> -2.50°] Min -3.50 – -2.50° Max
  • Rear Camber [-2.00° <-> -1.00°] Min -2.00 – -1.00° Max

Well it should be that - 3.50° is the MAX NEGATIVE CAMBER and -2.50° is the MAX POSITIVE camber.

-3.50° means the top of the tires lean the most inward, -2.50° means the top of the tires lean the least inward.

-3.50° gives less tire friction on straight lines, because the surface of the tire that touches the road is at it's minimum and more sideways. This will on the other hand give more tire surface contact when turing at higher speed and thus more high speed grip. Because the body roll during that speed pushes the chassis outward and this will push the surface of the outward tire at that speed more in contact with the asphalt where the most force is applied. This setting results in more grip at high speed corners, perhaps a bit quicker in straight line higher speed accelleration or top speed, but lower grip in slow speed corners and lower grip in slower or straight line accelleration.

-2.50° gives highest friction on straight lines. On a straight line, or at slow speed there's maximum tire surface contact with the asphalt, this gives more traction and grip. But at high speed turning, the chassis pushes the outward tire surface contact more away from the asphalt. This setting result in max grip in slow corners, and an overall better traction without high speed turning.

Same on the rears with less margin.

So, to keep things simple you can:

Set camber towards -3.50 on high speed tracks,

Set camber toward -2.50 on slow speed tracks.

Of course you need to find the right balance which gives you an overall good feeling on each track that suits your driving style.

Edited by Pdexter
  • Agree 1
23 minutes ago, Pdexter said:

Well it should be that - 3.50° is the MAX NEGATIVE CAMBER and -2.50° is the MAX POSITIVE camber.

-3.50° means the top of the tires lean the most inward, -2.50° means the top of the tires lean the least inward.

-3.50° gives less tire friction on straight lines, because the surface of the tire that touches the road is at it's minimum and more sideways. This will on the other hand give more tire surface contact when turing at higher speed and thus more high speed grip. Because the body roll during that speed pushes the chassis outward and this will push the surface of the outward tire at that speed more in contact with the asphalt where the most force is applied. This setting results in more grip at high speed corners, perhaps a bit quicker in straight line higher speed accelleration or top speed, but lower grip in slow speed corners and lower grip in slower or straight line accelleration.

-2.50° gives highest friction on straight lines. On a straight line, or at slow speed there's maximum tire surface contact with the asphalt, this gives more traction and grip. But at high speed turning, the chassis pushes the outward tire surface contact more away from the asphalt. This setting result in max grip in slow corners, and an overall better traction without high speed turning.

Of course you need to find the right balance which gives you an overall good feeling on each track that suits your driving style.

I partially agree but your reasoning is not completely sound.  There is a good explanation here.  This same site also has some good ARB adjustment tips which I ignored in previous versions of this game but seem to be important in this years handing.

https://virtualracingschool.com/academy/iracing-career-guide/setups/camber-toe/

• Social Media & Community Team

Not to drag too far off-topic, but has anyone tried setting different tyre pressures for left/right wheels?

Most setups I see keep them identical, though I imagine if you're getting more wear on one side you'd tweak slightly.

Not a fan of calling -2.50 "max positive camber". It's still negative camber. The sign is purely conventional to represent the orientation as that is essential when dealing with angles.

It's strictly conventional, but absolutely necessary as negative camber and positive camber are two very different setups with very different purposes and effects. Angles here are basically a measurement of rotation and you absolutely need to know in what direction said rotation is made.

@PJTierney I haven't started my career game proper and that's where I fine tune my tyre pressures, but (1) I've seen some proper race setups with asymmetrical pressures and (2) even when doing single races I still bump the pressures differently to protect the overworked tyre. My take is that there's an abundance of TT setups and not many long races setups out there anymore, for whatever reason. 

51 minutes ago, Pdexter said:

Of course you need to find the right balance which gives you an overall good feeling on each track that suits your driving style.   max

The confusion continues , the camber is all negative as discussed earlier  , this was never a confusion it was just whether or not - (minus/negative)3.50 was less camber than -(minus/negative)2.50 because it is stated in the Ui that this is the case when it is not ( incorrect information is given in the game).......I thought positive camber only occurred once the top of the wheel had started tilting outward (away from the car chassis or tub) from being in a vertical position at 90 degrees to the surface it is sat on.

Edited by Exasperated
  • Social Media & Community Team
13 minutes ago, marioho said:

My take is that there's an abundance of TT setups and not many long races setups out there anymore, for whatever reason. 

Yup, people fixate on laptime too much because it's an easy metric of which setup is "better", despite ignoring several other factors that make a setup work for a person.

I tried a setup yesterday from a well-known YouTube person for Zandvoort.

Loaded up a GP and 100% of the time the car would spin out of Turn 14 on Medium tyres.

The rear left bottomed out on the banking every time and killed the rear grip.

• Like 1

The fact that this is a two page topic with people still arguing over it, combined with the fact that Lando famously laughed at the camber screen in game, he couldn't figure it out, says all you need to. They should have made that screen more intuitive to use. Then again we've had the same car setup screen and basic setup arrangement for the car for over 5 years now, it is severely lacking 

• Agree 1

I must be a simpleton.......with ALL tracks having both type of corners WHY would you not run these settings in the middle?

Less negative or more negative makes little difference to me since I have to deal with both types of corners.

@Badmayhem camber is a solution to chassis roll when cornering. Some Basically the amount of Gs everyone is so crazy about when talking about tracks with high speed corners.

Some tracks produce a greater deal of lateral load than others.

With camber you're adjusting how much of the tyre is in contact with the tarmac when going straight vs how much is in contact when cornering. So there's always a trade-off.

Your choice thus depends on the characteristics of the track. Suzuka will benefit from a higher degree of camber than say Canada. On the same breath, your Suzuka performance will be hurt more from a low camber setup, while you'll probably hurt your laptimes by running too much camber on Canada.

4 hours ago, marioho said:

@Badmayhem camber is a solution to chassis roll when cornering. Some Basically the amount of Gs everyone is so crazy about when talking about tracks with high speed corners.

Some tracks produce a greater deal of lateral load than others.

With camber you're adjusting how much of the tyre is in contact with the tarmac when going straight vs how much is in contact when cornering. So there's always a trade-off.

Your choice thus depends on the characteristics of the track. Suzuka will benefit from a higher degree of camber than say Canada. On the same breath, your Suzuka performance will be hurt more from a low camber setup, while you'll probably hurt your laptimes by running too much camber on Canada.

Any idea how much time can be saved? This may explain why my Spain and Dutch races are harder for me. Thanks for the info.

Im learning so much on this forum!

15 hours ago, PJTierney said:

Not to drag too far off-topic, but has anyone tried setting different tyre pressures for left/right wheels?

Most setups I see keep them identical, though I imagine if you're getting more wear on one side you'd tweak slightly.

Yeah, I do this. If my right front wear is low then I tend to lower the tyre pressure, this will give more grip but wear more,

or I might raise the left front if wear is a bit high or temp a bit high, but if you go too far then you lose grip and start wearing

again. 
If tyre wear is low on same side front/back I lower them both,

If your tyre wear is high but even across the front versus back then lower the on throttle diff say 3 or 4 to get them to wear a bit

more even.

22 hours ago, gatorlb said:

I partially agree but your reasoning is not completely sound.  There is a good explanation here.  This same site also has some good ARB adjustment tips which I ignored in previous versions of this game but seem to be important in this years handing.

https://virtualracingschool.com/academy/iracing-career-guide/setups/camber-toe/

Thanks for the additional info!

Here's also a good explanation video on how camber works: (not specifically for the game, but an overal good video)

https://youtu.be/VC9E1PWokcY

21 hours ago, Exasperated said:

The confusion continues , the camber is all negative as discussed earlier  , this was never a confusion it was just whether or not - (minus/negative)3.50 was less camber than -(minus/negative)2.50 because it is stated in the Ui that this is the case when it is not ( incorrect information is given in the game).......I thought positive camber only occurred once the top of the wheel had started tilting outward (away from the car chassis or tub) from being in a vertical position at 90 degrees to the surface it is sat on.

Yes you're right though, 

Negative camber is when the top of the tires lean inwards. 

But -3.50° is more 'negative' camber than -2.50 ( -3.50° this is the maximum angle in degrees that the top of the tires can lean inwards.) 

So you can say "-3.50° is the maximum negative camber possible".

The game does confuse this by setting MIN and MAX on the wrong sides of the values imo.

19 hours ago, Badmayhem said:

I must be a simpleton.......with ALL tracks having both type of corners WHY would you not run these settings in the middle?

Less negative or more negative makes little difference to me since I have to deal with both types of corners.

:-)

Well, I do find myself indeed often ending up with that balanced setting in the middle, but fiddling with a more specific setting could give you an advantage in overtaking sections. Or just that little time less per lap to keep the driver behind out of the DRS zone. 😉

• Thanks 1
22 hours ago, PJTierney said:

For both Bahrain and Spain the left front was the highest worn tyre for me, so I increased the pressure for the front left by two clicks compared to right front. Worked fine for me.