Jump to content Jump to content

F1 2021 game crashes Xbox Series X/S when viewing highlights or cutscenes

• A detailed description of the issue. - When watching highlights the game freezes and after a couple of seconds the console shuts down. Controller is still active so console must be restarted by pressing the button on the console. 
  • Report Code. - No possible way to get a report code because of the fact that the console shuts down. 
  • Platform? - Xbox series X. 
  • Game-mode? Grand Prix 
  • What troubleshooting have you tried? Please list everything you tried. - Not much to try. So far the crashes just seem to happen during highlights in graphics mode. The crashes has happened both when the console has been in an upright position and lying down. Airflow is free all around the console. 
  • Any screenshots or video of the issue? Remember to add as unlisted if video via a third party. - No
  • How do you make the problem happen? Please add a step-by-step guide here so we can replicate and get reported as quick as possible. - I play GP on Bahrain. After the race I watch the highlights, and during the highlights the game freezes and console shuts down. Happens maybe 1/3 of the races. 
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

I'm having the same problem on Xbox series X

Description of the Issue: F1 2021 keeps crashing to the home screen. I can launch the game and it's fine in the menus, but when I start racing that's when I face problems. I can last 7-8 laps in a regular free-play Grand Prix before it crashes to the Xbox home screen, but I can only manage 5-6 laps on Braking Point before the crash. I had this problem from the moment I first started playing the game, but at the time I would just re-launch the game and Braking Point would allow me to progress. However, I'm now at Zandvoort in Season 2 and only get to lap 5 or 6 before it crashes to the Xbox home screen. I've tried a variety of fixes (listed below), none have worked, but as a result of those actions I now hear constant beeping and clicking noises on my headphones / speakers during the race. As it stands the game is unplayable.

Platform: Xbox Series X 

Game mode: F1 2021 free-play Grand Prix & Braking Point

• We need to be able to make your problem happen internally so we can fix the issue. Can you make the problem happen again?:

- Yes, I just need to play the game and it happens without fail.

• How do you make the problem happen?

- I try to play a Grand Prix or Braking Point and it happens automatically after a few laps.

• What troubleshooting have you attempted? Please always try to attempt to fix the issue 

- Reinstalling the game, deleting and downloading my Xbox profile, deleting and re-syncing my saved game files, power cycling the xbox console, clearing cache. 

• What peripherals are you are using (gamepad, wheel make & model etc) 

- Xbox Series X controller

• Any screenshots or video of the issue? If the video is long, please include a timestamp for when the issue appears.   

- I've uploaded a recording here, the same thing happens on Braking Point and during freeplay. Happens 3 minutes 40 seconds in https://youtu.be/hCy2I867pPk

Edited by Varun723

Game crashes as soon as it’s reaches the main menu, doesn’t even give me time to scroll across or press a button that’s how fast it crashes every time. I literally can not even start my game.

other Xbox accounts work fine but not mine and I’ve only completed 1 race in career 

20 hours ago, Btrgamble said:

• A detailed description of the issue. - When watching highlights the game freezes and after a couple of seconds the console shuts down. Controller is still active so console must be restarted by pressing the button on the console. 
  • Report Code. - No possible way to get a report code because of the fact that the console shuts down. 
  • Platform? - Xbox series X. 
  • Game-mode? Grand Prix 
  • What troubleshooting have you tried? Please list everything you tried. - Not much to try. So far the crashes just seem to happen during highlights in graphics mode. The crashes has happened both when the console has been in an upright position and lying down. Airflow is free all around the console. 
  • Any screenshots or video of the issue? Remember to add as unlisted if video via a third party. - No
  • How do you make the problem happen? Please add a step-by-step guide here so we can replicate and get reported as quick as possible. - I play GP on Bahrain. After the race I watch the highlights, and during the highlights the game freezes and console shuts down. Happens maybe 1/3 of the races. 

Got the very same problem!

Description of the Issue:
Xbox Series X shuts down when restarting the race: Controller becomes unresponsive for about 5/10 seconds, then the console shuts down but the controller stays on so I need to press the power button on the console to start again!

Platform: Xbox Series X 

Game mode: Grand Prix

We need to be able to make your problem happen internally so we can fix the issue. Can you make the problem happen again?

Yes, it happened like 5 times on 10.

How do you make the problem happen?

Start a single race in Grand Prix mode (happend in Bahrein and Silverstone too, so I think it’s not track-related), when the formation lap has started just press pause and restart session.
As soon as you get in the cockpit for assign the strategy the controller becomes unresponsive (only Xbox button works) and after like 10 seconds the console shuts down leaving the controller on.

What troubleshooting have you attempted? Please always try to attempt to fix the issue 

Power cycling the console, changing track/car   

What peripherals are you are using (gamepad, wheel make & model etc) 

Happend with Xbox Series X controller.

Any screenshots or video of the issue? If the video is long, please include a timestamp for when the issue appears.

Couldn’t get any clip or screen because the Xbox shuts down… I may try to record the screen with my iPhone later if it’s needed.

• Agree 1
On 7/22/2021 at 10:26 AM, Brutus1O said:

Already reported but no feedback at all regarding this issue.

The game is unplayable.

Mutiple reports of bugs like it.  Mine crashes usually post race.  Shuts the console right off.    No response as of yet.  Almost 2 weeks now since deluxe edition released.  I've had about enough.  I'll be speaking with MS and EA on Monday.    Honestly, we should all just keep bumping these reports until we get answers.   I'm concerned about what this is doing to my console itself to be honest.

• Agree 1

I managed to get in touch with Codemasters. They asked me to clear my cache and try with a different profile, both of which I've done. I tried it again anyway, still no difference. On another note, does anyone else hear weird beeping and clicking sounds while racing? It's not coming from my console, but from the game itself.

8 hours ago, petro1319 said:

Mutiple reports of bugs like it.  Mine crashes usually post race.  Shuts the console right off.    No response as of yet.  Almost 2 weeks now since deluxe edition released.  I've had about enough.  I'll be speaking with MS and EA on Monday.    Honestly, we should all just keep bumping these reports until we get answers.   I'm concerned about what this is doing to my console itself to be honest.

If something bad happens to my less-than-1-month old Series X I will be asking a full refound of the console to EA & Codemaster.

This shuts down and the console getting SUPER HOT during gameplay don’t look like a healthy thing for the console itself.

Anyway… bump!

@BarryBL Please report this bug asap and investigate if it could damage the console in any way!
Thanks

• Agree 1

I’m concerned that nobody at Codemasters is acknowledging this problem. Since day one (of the standard edition), my game has been crashing and shutting down my Xbox, either during post-race scenes or while trying to watch replays/highlights. The framerate chugs, then everything freezes, followed by the Xbox turning itself off.

Considering how serious this problem is, I’m shocked that this isn’t “with developers” or anything like that.

• Agree 1
1 hour ago, Niiko47 said:

I’m concerned that nobody at Codemasters is acknowledging this problem. Since day one (of the standard edition), my game has been crashing and shutting down my Xbox, either during post-race scenes or while trying to watch replays/highlights. The framerate chugs, then everything freezes, followed by the Xbox turning itself off.

Considering how serious this problem is, I’m shocked that this isn’t “with developers” or anything like that.

My original bug report for this a few days ago has been tagged as "with developers" so that is at least positive.

Edited by petro1319
  • Agree 2
27 minutes ago, petro1319 said:

My original bug report for this a few days ago has been tagged as "with developers" so that is at least positive.

I guess we have no choice but to wait, I doubt they're going to solve this in a few days. I'm hoping for a fix by the 31st, but I know that's optimistic. In the meantime let's save our consoles. Playing F1 2020 isn't ideal but at least it's unlikely to wreck the console.

• Agree 1
On 7/23/2021 at 12:55 PM, Allu83 said:

Got the very same problem!

Description of the Issue:
Xbox Series X shuts down when restarting the race: Controller becomes unresponsive for about 5/10 seconds, then the console shuts down but the controller stays on so I need to press the power button on the console to start again!

Platform: Xbox Series X 

Game mode: Grand Prix

We need to be able to make your problem happen internally so we can fix the issue. Can you make the problem happen again?

Yes, it happened like 5 times on 10.

How do you make the problem happen?

Start a single race in Grand Prix mode (happend in Bahrein and Silverstone too, so I think it’s not track-related), when the formation lap has started just press pause and restart session.
As soon as you get in the cockpit for assign the strategy the controller becomes unresponsive (only Xbox button works) and after like 10 seconds the console shuts down leaving the controller on.

What troubleshooting have you attempted? Please always try to attempt to fix the issue 

Power cycling the console, changing track/car   

What peripherals are you are using (gamepad, wheel make & model etc) 

Happend with Xbox Series X controller.

Any screenshots or video of the issue? If the video is long, please include a timestamp for when the issue appears.

Couldn’t get any clip or screen because the Xbox shuts down… I may try to record the screen with my iPhone later if it’s needed.

same problem

19 minutes ago, Varun723 said:

I guess we have no choice but to wait, I doubt they're going to solve this in a few days. I'm hoping for a fix by the 31st, but I know that's optimistic. In the meantime let's save our consoles. Playing F1 2020 isn't ideal but at least it's unlikely to wreck the console.

The way i see it; it's their problem if it does.  Especially given the fact they're not giving us any direction at this point.

I am playing the series x deluxe edition digital download. I get to the post race scenes usually as the drivers celebrate in parc ferme and then the game crashes. Controller and screen unresponsive and my Xbox series x shuts down power totally. I then have to manually turn it back on as it no longer reacts to controller until manually switched back on after batteries removed. It's not an overheating issue as it's barely warm when this happens. The heat is at the vents where it's supposed to be but it's not working harder than it should and heat isn't any more than any other game. This is a bad bug. I am afraid it's gonna brick my console and it's scared me enough to not play it till it's fixed. I play longer sessions of cod and no such issue. Codemasters get it fixed! 

Edited by Elmarto88
Spelling
On 7/24/2021 at 3:40 AM, petro1319 said:

Mine sounds the same as this, full shut down after game freeze. Joke. I am fuming. 

On 7/24/2021 at 3:40 AM, petro1319 said:

I'm concerned about what this is doing to my console itself to be honest.

On 7/24/2021 at 3:05 PM, petro1319 said:

The way i see it; it's their problem if it does.  Especially given the fact they're not giving us any direction at this point.

Given the difficulty of getting a replacement console it could well end up being your problem for a fair while even if it wasn't financially. Sad to say but I'd be seriously considering not playing the game for now personally if I were in your position.

2 hours ago, Ultra3142 said:

Given the difficulty of getting a replacement console it could well end up being your problem for a fair while even if it wasn't financially. Sad to say but I'd be seriously considering not playing the game for now personally if I were in your position.

I'll wait to hear it from them thanks; it's their responsibility.  Surely it can't be serious if they haven't done or said anything about it.  It's 110% on them; so it WILL be their problem.  I'll leave it at that

Edited by petro1319

It happened here too! 😒

My Xbox Series X shut down when I was watching highlights in Silverstone. Right after turning it back on, I got the message of "overheating" but the console wasn't hot.

I went back to highlights and AGAIN, it turned off! Same overheating message.

After that, I tried other highlights from other tracks, it worked fine, none of them turned off the console.

My console reboots also happens while I'm racing. Cant play multiplayer because of this.

In single player, I have to do mid session saves on each lap.....

Cyberpunk was more stable than this.....

Edited by Brutus1O
7 hours ago, Lagoa said:

It happened here too! 😒

My Xbox Series X shut down when I was watching highlights in Silverstone. Right after turning it back on, I got the message of "overheating" but the console wasn't hot.

I went back to highlights and AGAIN, it turned off! Same overheating message.

After that, I tried other highlights from other tracks, it worked fine, none of them turned off the console.

If your getting the overheating message it's overheating. I don't get that message at all. I read a post about this as I was concerned but you only get that message for genuine overheating the game won't trigger that message but can trip the console off as I understand it. Look at your ventilation should be 6-8 inch clearence to all exposed sides. 

On 7/23/2021 at 8:58 AM, Varun723 said:

I'm having the same problem on Xbox series X

Description of the Issue: F1 2021 keeps crashing to the home screen. I can launch the game and it's fine in the menus, but when I start racing that's when I face problems. I can last 7-8 laps in a regular free-play Grand Prix before it crashes to the Xbox home screen, but I can only manage 5-6 laps on Braking Point before the crash. I had this problem from the moment I first started playing the game, but at the time I would just re-launch the game and Braking Point would allow me to progress. However, I'm now at Zandvoort in Season 2 and only get to lap 5 or 6 before it crashes to the Xbox home screen. I've tried a variety of fixes (listed below), none have worked, but as a result of those actions I now hear constant beeping and clicking noises on my headphones / speakers during the race. As it stands the game is unplayable.

Platform: Xbox Series X 

Game mode: F1 2021 free-play Grand Prix & Braking Point

• We need to be able to make your problem happen internally so we can fix the issue. Can you make the problem happen again?:

- Yes, I just need to play the game and it happens without fail.

• How do you make the problem happen?

- I try to play a Grand Prix or Braking Point and it happens automatically after a few laps.

• What troubleshooting have you attempted? Please always try to attempt to fix the issue 

- Reinstalling the game, deleting and downloading my Xbox profile, deleting and re-syncing my saved game files, power cycling the xbox console, clearing cache. 

• What peripherals are you are using (gamepad, wheel make & model etc) 

- Xbox Series X controller

• Any screenshots or video of the issue? If the video is long, please include a timestamp for when the issue appears.   

- I've uploaded a recording here, the same thing happens on Braking Point and during freeplay. Happens 3 minutes 40 seconds in https://youtu.be/hCy2I867pPk

Latest updated: F1 2020 which has never crashed before has now started to behave just like F1 2021. What's going on? @BarryBL this is screwing up our consoles.

• Administrator

Hi all, 

A short update here. 

We have some fixes currently in test as we have replicated issues where the Xbox is overheating in some circumstances. We are working hard to get this into you as soon as possible but want the fixes to be thoroughly tested before release

• Confused 1
  • Agree 3
9 minutes ago, BarryBL said:

Hi all, 

A short update here. 

We have some fixes currently in test as we have replicated issues where the Xbox is overheating in some circumstances. We are working hard to get this into you as soon as possible but want the fixes to be thoroughly tested before release

Barry, I don't get the overheating message however my Xbox does just literally shut down as if it has. Do you know of its always an overheating issue? This is very concerning considering the shortage of the console in general and what unknown damage it's doing that I probablu won't be able to verify as the games issue with yourself or Xbox but it doesnt happen on any other game despite me having up to 4 hour uninterrupted sessions on call of duty or FIFA.  This issue on F1 2021 having happened to me 3 times now is very concerning. When can we expect an update to sort and what is causing the issue specifically?

• Administrator

We are working to get an update as soon as we can. We have replicated the issue in some instances (I don't personally know if they have see the message every time, and I have not experienced it on my Series S at home), however, we do have some testing to do and hope to provide some solutions and updates as soon as possible. It is on our highest priority list of issues.

• Agree 1
  • Hoo changed the title to F1 2021 game crashes Xbox Series X/S when viewing highlights or cutscenes
  • steviejay69 pinned this topic