Sign in to follow this  

Well that was quick

I didn't get past the option menu before Codemasters blew it.  Why Why Why  do you limit controller mapping?  Why it makes no sense what so ever, yet CM has done just that.  Can't map the gear change to the trigger buttons (PS3) that I want.   You can use R2 but not L2....What possible reason would you not allow players to map the controls how they feel?   Sick of devs pulling this.  So game goes back to the store tomorrow.   Glad I still have the first Grid.

You have to switch to manual gearing to map your gear shift buttons. Dirt 3 was the same way, and so was the first Grid I think.

EDIT: The first Grid wasn't, but Dirt 3 was definitely the same way. I switched to manual gearbox *it's in the assists menu* mapped my controller buttons, and then switched back to automatic.

No I understand that part.  The problem is this.  No comments it's just a personal preference.   When assigning gear shifts I always have my layout as follows   Gas-R1/ Brake-L1  / Up shift-R2 / Down shift -L2     The game will not (on the PS3 controller) let me assign any gear shift option to the L2 trigger.   I can assign to R2, L1, R1, or any other button, but not to the R2.    So may question is why?  It makes no sense what so ever for them to do that.

Change the controller preset then try, I know theres 2 controllers presets, maybe it changes how it can be mapped? idk

Hey guys,

Just had one of our Programming Wizards let me know that this will be fixed in an upcoming patch for PS3. We'll keep you posted :)

Let me say that Loore's active involvement with the community is very impressive!  :-c

Yes @loore and codies is gonna make these little mistakes right , I don't think they will let anything just sit they want to make there community happyt again.

Loore said:
Hey guys,

Just had one of our Programming Wizards let me know that this will be fixed in an upcoming patch for PS3. We'll keep you posted :)
any idea if this also effects PC gamers using PS3 pads? atm i am planning to use a USB adaptor with a PS3 pad on my PC for Autosport.

Ronin05 said:
No I understand that part.  The problem is this.  No comments it's just a personal preference.   When assigning gear shifts I always have my layout as follows   Gas-R1/ Brake-L1  / Up shift-R2 / Down shift -L2     The game will not (on the PS3 controller) let me assign any gear shift option to the L2 trigger.   I can assign to R2, L1, R1, or any other button, but not to the R2.    So may question is why?  It makes no sense what so ever for them to do that.
Just curious... But why on earth would you use that setup? R2/L2 would give you vastly superior throttle/brake control.

Any of you can confirm if its possibe to assign R3 to accelerate/brake?

xGabe62x said:
But if we had free reign in Dirt and F1 games, why the change here ?
I think the 3 series aer done by 3 different teams though they may use the asme engine but they're all different teams.

See here:

Says it all - this game was "rushed out" while people still had old consoles to play it on !!!

http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/559/virtual-mirror

When asked if there were at least, Virtual Mirrors... the reply was:

Loore Codemasters Community Manager
Not currently.

It's one of those features that we'd love to have but unfortunately have run out of time to include.

Community Manager at Codemasters, grumpy, fussy, and occasional wizard
Find me on Twitter | Steam

Ergo, any comments about blurred cockpits and lack of mirrors being "artistic choices" is BS.

Loore Thanks for the update but I hope they focus because it's not just the gear shift.  the L2 can't be mapped at all.  But it really doesn't matter at this point I guess because I've already returned the game.  I just don't understand why Devs think gamers want less options.  Why limit the game?  Sometimes I just feel like jumping in a car (any car) and going to a track (any track) and doing laps.   So to be limited to that or have to dig through countless menu options looking for a setting (because no one puts full manuals in games any more) just isn't worth it when the game really isn't much better then the previous title that had all those features.

To this day Grid and Dirt got so many things right that Codemasters just seem set on getting wrong.  I don't buy games for MENUs.   Both Grid and Dirt had great menu systems because everything was right there and quickly got you into the game.

Loore Codemasters  Community Manager
Hey guys,

Just had one of our Programming Wizards let me know that this will be fixed in an upcoming patch for PS3. We'll keep you posted 
Community Manager at Codemasters, grumpy, fussy, and occasional wizard
Find me on Twitter Steam

It's incredible. I thought my controller had packed in. 

Can anyone give a logical explanation as to why I can't map L2 to the brake? 

deek72 said:

L2 is brake by default on PS3

deek72 said:

L2 is brake by default on PS3

Yes by default, but not the handbrake ( or else other) in case someone wants to map it. I tried and L2 is exclusive reserved for standar brake, any other control can´t be assigned to it. PS3.

Salute.

Why would you want the handbrake? L2 is a trigger to give you precise input, you want the handbrake if you use it, I don't see why you would, on a quick press button. O is good enough

Why would you want the handbrake? L2 is a trigger to give you precise input, you want the handbrake if you use it, I don't see why you would, on a quick press button. O is good enough

Yes, i agree, it was an example, but as far as i know handbrake is sensitive or at least is very easy to manage when it can be push a little bit than a 20 ms more, makes a difference, believe it. It was a probe i wanted to try for a Drfit challenge with the controller where i was not using brake, normally i use to use the G27 Wheel.

But the important thing here is that regardless of what control or type of controller (buton or trigger) L2 is DEFECTIVE PROGRAMED because it doesn´t allows to map to it whatever control i like; and is a quiestion of taste. By the way i map to X (PS3) the handbrake but i would like to try that idea.

And talking abut handbrake i still trying to figure out if it deserve for something with the new physics in the game....is almost untouchable, or it´s me wich i was playing Grid 2 for a loooog year...XD, Grid 2 Drift Rules all the way up and the handbrake use and abuse. XD

Salute.