Jump to content Jump to content

F1 2021 Disappointment Edition

From a dull story mode passed only in a few hours. The bugs and glitches on and offline. Online is unplayable. Just terrible quality all around. The only good thing to say about this game is the Ai has imporoved a bit. other then that. Horrible.

• Agree 7
  • Disagree 6

@Hennes8 and what is the proper way of doing it?

Not dissing. Just always thought that is the way to go to properly report bugs as being able to isolate variables and parameters and being able to replicate it with the dev tooling is key.

• Agree 3
1 hour ago, marioho said:

@Hennes8 and what is the proper way of doing it?

Not dissing. Just always thought that is the way to go to properly report bugs as being able to isolate variables and parameters and being able to replicate it with the dev tooling is key.

It's the only way to post your problems, but I think Codemasters doesn't take it seriously and wants to demotivate people with a lot of questions and more info. Most bugs everyone sees after 10 minutes but Codemasters requires a big listing for everything.

2020 much was not fixed and also at 2021 many threads are ignored

• Agree 1

well to be honest if they dont get all the info they need initially, asking further questions may help with identifying the issue, rule out user error or hardware issues as what seems like a bug may not always be a fault of the game.

also the posts will have tags on such as "with developers" or "need info" etc so that is tellings us the situation with most bug reports, i did put in sugestions about maybe having a known issues post because after nearly 2 weeks it woudl be good to have an update in terms of what issues have been identified and what are being worked into a patch etc

• Agree 1

The biggest complaint that I have about this game is the reemergence of bugs that were removed in prior titles. In addition things such as the safety car allowing vehicles to unlap themselves still is not in the game. This is a issue for long distance Races and the developers still have put in no time or effort into remediating

• Agree 1

What @cearp8858 said, to a tee. I'd even go as far as suggest a not replicated tag in the mix too so the community could get a feedback about their feedback.

We're not developers and no one should expect knowledge in the "this is relevant, this is not" task of troubleshooting and debugging from us. That is one aspect of these long forms and lists of questions that sometimes flies over our head. Bug reporting needs to be thorough in the end in order for the devs to be able to replicate the bug. 

We've seen a handful of those here. Talking about cases where the issue was nowhere near what we all suspected. I remember last year someone reporting a handling issue just for someone (PJ I think?) in the end suggest that the issue was probably a worn out analog stick. Just imagine the hurdle it gotta be to troubleshoot cases where problem actually relies on a driver or non-conformant accessory instead of the code? 

3 hours ago, Hennes8 said:

Codemasters doesn't take it seriously and wants to demotivate people with a lot of questions and more info.

I really don't think the part is true at all. The information asked for always seems totally reasonable to me, and frankly many of the initial reports are just hopeless from the perspective of anyone realistically trying to address it.

I do though wish there were more Codemasters staff able to actively respond to issues raised quickly, and to update on progress.

• Agree 1

i still cant believe they haven't fixed the rear wing bug when you pull up at garage during practice or qualification the mechanic at the rear grabs rear wing by putting his hands through it

like he's still grabbing the rear wing from 2016 season. 

come on codemasters you've had 5 years to fix this now.  

6 hours ago, Gazzza31 said:

i still cant believe they haven't fixed the rear wing bug when you pull up at garage during practice or qualification the mechanic at the rear grabs rear wing by putting his hands through it

like he's still grabbing the rear wing from 2016 season. 

come on codemasters you've had 5 years to fix this now.  

There's more pressing issues IMO, like the fact that I can't play My Team mode becuase I cant load any saves if I edit my livery.  Or the fact that sometimes the game will freeze post race and completely shut down my console.    Talk about being disappointed.  It's becoming a joke.   I'm stuck with the game now because I've passed my window of "return" with MS based on time played, but I've spent what, $100 or so for the deluxe edition and I can't even play it.   I hate to say it, but I got a feeling we'll be seeing some news soon of some mass terminations from Codies.  I have a hard time believing EA will stand for this.  I said this in the bug report thread but if this game bricks my XSX, there's going to be hell to pay from EA/Codies.  It's absolutely ridiculous to release a game in this state.  I dont want to hear the covid excuses, I'm tired of it.  We know the real reason for this nonsense, it's called Braking Point.  They should have just called it Breaking point.  Im running out of patience waiting for a patch to fix something as simple as game saves.  It's been out for PS and PC for several days now.  I know, they'll blame MS, but at this point it's more likely that MS didn't approve the patch due to more issues. 

What really gets me is we have people starting threads around here being positive about this release.  Yeah; are there positives to it? Absolutely.  If you can get through a race without it shutting your console off or if you can load a game save.  Completely unacceptable.  I was partially joking last week when I said this release felt alot like Cyberpunk, but now I'm 98% of the way to believing that's exactly what it is.  It's completely unplayable for me at this point, and Im at the point of wanting my damn money back, and I can't get it from MS anymore, so...  put your money where your mouth is Codies. I know mine won't be in your accounts next year by pre-order.  You've lost my respect as a customer of this game for as long as it's been on consoles.  Enough is enough.

• Agree 1

@petro1319 I get the frustration, mate. Not out of empathy alone: I have a steelbook special edition of Cyperpunk 2077 here in my shelf that has been installed and uninstalled from my base PS4 without ever seeing a full hour of gameplay, such was - and still is - the state of the game. 

However, in a drawer below the shelf I have FIFA 12, FIFA 14, FIFA 15, FIFA 18 and FIFA 19. So putting EA in some kind of higher order of game industry's actor by suggesting they won't "stand for this" kind of rubs me the wrong way. Honestly I don't remember much how it was on FIFA 12, but I guarantee you there have been issues and despicable design decisions reiterated on every single iteration of this freaking franchise. Setting aside all the hot topic of monetization and gameplay stagnation, just the fact that the game to this day still forces that absurd handicap is mind blowing. And also utterly ridiculous because EA denies it one year just to someone crack the game, decompile the code and pinpoint that hideous script.

And that's the same EA from Mass Effect Andromeda and that Iron Man simulator that got shoved then dropped then canned by the high ups. 

Honestly, I hope Codies get to stand their ground and their independency under the EA umbrella because I can wholeheartedly attest that just the leap in gameplay (handling and physics) I've personally seen from F1 2019 to 2020 and from F1 2020 to 2021 has never ever been achieved by EA in all those FIFA titles I've mentioned.

I love football. To this day I still get intrigued, not to say hyped, for every FIFA announcement. Even hopeful, sometimes. But all the work I put reigned myself in to not bite the bait has paid off since FIFA 19. The restraint has paid me what that franchise will hardly ever do again until they get a serious overhaul.

46 minutes ago, petro1319 said:

It's been out for PS and PC for several days now.  I know, they'll blame MS, but at this point it's more likely that MS didn't approve the patch due to more issues. 

Again, I get your frustration both on its own and out of experience. But there's no rhyme to this line, mate.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, marioho said:

@petro1319 I get the frustration, mate. Not out of empathy alone: I have a steelbook special edition of Cyperpunk 2077 here in my shelf that has been installed and uninstalled from my base PS4 without ever seeing a full hour of gameplay, such was - and still is - the state of the game. 

However, in a drawer below the shelf I have FIFA 12, FIFA 14, FIFA 15, FIFA 18 and FIFA 19. So putting EA in some kind of higher order of game industry's actor by suggesting they won't "stand for this" kind of rubs me the wrong way. Honestly I don't remember much how it was on FIFA 12, but I guarantee you there have been issues and despicable design decisions reiterated on every single iteration of this freaking franchise. Setting aside all the hot topic of monetization and gameplay stagnation, just the fact that the game to this day still forces that absurd handicap is mind blowing. And also utterly ridiculous because EA denies it one year just to someone crack the game, decompile the code and pinpoint that hideous script.

And that's the same EA from Mass Effect Andromeda and that Iron Man simulator that got shoved then dropped then canned by the high ups. 

Honestly, I hope Codies get to stand their ground and their independency under the EA umbrella because I can wholeheartedly attest that just the leap in gameplay (handling and physics) I've personally seen from F1 2019 to 2020 and from F1 2020 to 2021 has never ever been achieved by EA in all those FIFA titles I've mentioned.

I love football. To this day I still get intrigued, not to say hyped, for every FIFA announcement. Even hopeful, sometimes. But all the work I put reigned myself in to not bite the bait has paid off since FIFA 19. The restraint has paid me what that franchise will hardly ever do again until they get a serious overhaul.

Again, I get your frustration both on its own and out of experience. But there's no rhyme to this line, mate.

Look, EA is no saint in the gaming industry; I'm 110% with you there.  However at least their products on release give you the ability to do the basics like load a saved game and don't flat out turn off your console.  There's always issues; like AI not doing what it should properly, little cosmetic things in every sports release.  They're incredibly hard to program AI for IMO; especially Fifa, Madden, NHL etc.   So yeah, I completely get your point there.  I'm not talking about that though, I'm referring to issues that are preventing me from even playing it right now.  There's a big difference there IMO.  While their products typically don't push the envelope on innovation; they at least work out of the box which is far more than I can say for F1 2021 at this point.  I also don't think the slight tuning to the car handling is such a monumental feat.  It feels like it because it's changed our driving style as players; but it's not like some big monumental achievement here.  They've always had good car handling/performance in this game IMO.  My thoughts on EA not standing for this are simply based on having to protect that reputation of theirs.  Game breaking bugs like these are typically not present, or they're fixed ASAP.  I know everyone is quick to call every little bug game breaking now but these two literally are.  I can't play the entire career mode of the game.  I'm stuck playing grand prix or time trial, and even then I'm lucky if I can do that without the game freezing and turning off my xbox.  That is game breaking... not "slippery curbs", safety car frequency, driver transfers etc. etc.  While those are all issues, and they certainly are frustrating you can at least still play while awaiting the fix.

I'm not sure why there's no rhyme to that line about the patch likely not being approved...  Sure, I'm speculating/assuming but they themselves stated the patch was being release for PS, PC and XB pending MS approval.  Now there's no mention of it for XB in that post if you can even find it; and there's no patch to speak of thus far.  It was acknowledge by Barry somewhere in the forums yesterday that we wouldn't see it "today" with no ETA given and no more mention that it's pending approval.  So clearly there's an issue here and what else would it be other than it likely didn't pass MS certification.   Personally; I'm wondering how this entire game for the XSX passed any type of certification.  Again keep in mind; it flat out turns off my console when playing and I'm not alone with that issue.  These are pressing issues that should have been fixed by now and they shouldn't have even been present in the first place.

I've loved this series and the work Codies has done on it for a long time.  While there is virtually no improvement in the area's I wanted to see improvement I still enjoy this game very much on track when I actually get the ability to play it without it shutting off my console.  However that being said; I'm out of patience.  These two issues are flat out unacceptable to have in a "finished product".  I literally can not play the game I've purchased now almost 2 weeks from the day it was released.  It is not acceptable; no matter what.

I get you and I'd be frustrated beyond belief too. Differently from CP77, that I actually bought thinking "this is from CDPR and looks rad, it's gonna be dope", F1 2021 I only bought after poking at the beta impressions and previews. Even with F1 2020 being one of my most played games ever, since mid October I hadn't turned on my console for anything other than Netflix et al. So if these game breaking issues happened to me I'd be livid.

I still think that the more firmly EA grasps a franchise, the more cash grabey it becomes - with just a few exceptions. I wouldn't even doubt they not having game breaking bugs that often being more a byproduct of stagnant iteration than proper QA. 

I don't think F1 2021 is that much of a evolution from last year's game, but still the gameplay experience improves significantly and there is quality enough for me to think it is worthy of my investment. I still expected more, though, even after a smooth experience so far.

Now this whole "pending approval" isn't anything new. On previous games this used to happen too, with Microsoft's patch coming at a later time. That's unfortunate, we justifiably expect patches to be released virtually in tandem for all consoles as that's the usual everywhere, but Xbox's version being late isn't anything new.

It is with this kind of backend comes and goings with first parties plus servers that I hope Codemasters get to cash on this EA deal. Let us hope.

2 hours ago, marioho said:

That's unfortunate, we justifiably expect patches to be released virtually in tandem for all consoles as that's the usual everywhere, but Xbox's version being late isn't anything new.

Unfortunately this compounds the problems for every system as until XBox 1.04 goes live they are most likely holding back 1.05 which should / could be pretty substantial as they won't want one platform to fall too far behind. 

Meaning the rest of us are also still waiting for fixes to other glaring issue the game has, online services and lobby problems for PSN etc. 

• Agree 1
5 hours ago, petro1319 said:

What really gets me is we have people starting threads around here being positive about this release.

Bear in mind that everyone has not had the same obviously awful experience and so for them discussing some positives is less strange. (The game has never caused my PS5 to crash for example.) Also many have some empathy for the hard work of the Codemasters staff to improve the game, many of whom may very well have been pushing for the release to be delayed but had no ultimate say in this.

The more I play races in GP mode the more I'm finding I appreciate the AI performance in F1 2021 for example. Some people have worked to achieve this, and may ultimately have nothing to do with any of the issues. 

• Agree 2
4 minutes ago, KNT2011 said:

Unfortunately this compounds the problems for every system as until XBox 1.04 goes live they are most likely holding back 1.05 which should / could be pretty substantial as they won't want one platform to fall too far behind. 

Meaning the rest of us are also still waiting for fixes to other glaring issue the game has, online services and lobby problems for PSN etc. 

Agreed. I see no inherent reason that patches need to be released at the same time on all platforms. Unnecessarily delaying a game fix for players on any platform makes no sense. 

I'll just add that the only way to get the gaming industry as a whole to stop releasing massively buggy games is for more people to stop pre-ordering games. 

I did pre-order F1 2021 though and don't personally regret it.

• Agree 1
14 hours ago, Ultra3142 said:

I really don't think the part is true at all. The information asked for always seems totally reasonable to me, and frankly many of the initial reports are just hopeless from the perspective of anyone realistically trying to address it.

I do though wish there were more Codemasters staff able to actively respond to issues raised quickly, and to update on progress.

With many bugs, these constant queries are not necessary at all, some things like the missing HDR slider was already reported in the beta and nothing happens, the many users who describe audio problems or the errors in the co-op career and online mode. The developers can surely turn on the console for 15 minutes in the office and find many errors themselves, I'm no different.

It's just disappointing that you buy a Special Edition and many elements in the game just don't run.

There are good things and bad things with every game release and experience tells you that things very rarely work straight out of the box in gaming.  Yes, it should do in a perfect world but we don't live in a Utopia, unfortunately.

I tend to judge games based on a 'default level' based on how the fundamentals look. For example, in this version of F1 2021, I think the basic gameplay is pretty good but there are other issues with the supporting parts of the games (non-patched car performance, waiting for DLC tracks, lack of control of driver transfers, driver ratings just being numbers they've pulled out of their backsides, etc). In this scenario, those things will be remedied over time and the game will still retain its core strength of the basic gameplay being good. So at that point when all the littler things are resolved, the game as a whole is pretty exceptional and, in the meantime, it's just about slogging it out until all the things are patched.

A contrast would be Fifa games. I find them boring to play after about an hour or two at most and that's a problem that no amount of remedying the support parts of the game will ever resolve.   

So, for this iteration of F1 2021, it's frustrating how much doesn't work seamlessly but it could be so much worse. Of course it depends on the issues you have as mine aren't all that bad but Petro1319's issue where it turns the console off is alot worse and he's more than entitled to be aggrieved as that's a fundamental flaw if it is tied to something the game is doing. 

• Agree 2
On 7/24/2021 at 3:10 AM, petro1319 said:

There's more pressing issues IMO, like the fact that I can't play My Team mode becuase I cant load any saves if I edit my livery.  Or the fact that sometimes the game will freeze post race and completely shut down my console.    Talk about being disappointed.  It's becoming a joke.   I'm stuck with the game now because I've passed my window of "return" with MS based on time played, but I've spent what, $100 or so for the deluxe edition and I can't even play it.   I hate to say it, but I got a feeling we'll be seeing some news soon of some mass terminations from Codies.  I have a hard time believing EA will stand for this.  I said this in the bug report thread but if this game bricks my XSX, there's going to be hell to pay from EA/Codies.  It's absolutely ridiculous to release a game in this state.  I dont want to hear the covid excuses, I'm tired of it.  We know the real reason for this nonsense, it's called Braking Point.  They should have just called it Breaking point.  Im running out of patience waiting for a patch to fix something as simple as game saves.  It's been out for PS and PC for several days now.  I know, they'll blame MS, but at this point it's more likely that MS didn't approve the patch due to more issues. 

What really gets me is we have people starting threads around here being positive about this release.  Yeah; are there positives to it? Absolutely.  If you can get through a race without it shutting your console off or if you can load a game save.  Completely unacceptable.  I was partially joking last week when I said this release felt alot like Cyberpunk, but now I'm 98% of the way to believing that's exactly what it is.  It's completely unplayable for me at this point, and Im at the point of wanting my damn money back, and I can't get it from MS anymore, so...  put your money where your mouth is Codies. I know mine won't be in your accounts next year by pre-order.  You've lost my respect as a customer of this game for as long as it's been on consoles.  Enough is enough.

Have you had the 1.4 patch yet on XSX as it fixed the corrupted save problem on the ps5? 

46 minutes ago, Gazzza31 said:

Have you had the 1.4 patch yet on XSX as it fixed the corrupted save problem on the ps5? 

It's out now but wasn't when the post you quoted was written.

22 hours ago, SmokyAtom07 said:

There are good things and bad things with every game release and experience tells you that things very rarely work straight out of the box in gaming.  Yes, it should do in a perfect world but we don't live in a Utopia, unfortunately.

I tend to judge games based on a 'default level' based on how the fundamentals look. For example, in this version of F1 2021, I think the basic gameplay is pretty good but there are other issues with the supporting parts of the games (non-patched car performance, waiting for DLC tracks, lack of control of driver transfers, driver ratings just being numbers they've pulled out of their backsides, etc). In this scenario, those things will be remedied over time and the game will still retain its core strength of the basic gameplay being good. So at that point when all the littler things are resolved, the game as a whole is pretty exceptional and, in the meantime, it's just about slogging it out until all the things are patched.

A contrast would be Fifa games. I find them boring to play after about an hour or two at most and that's a problem that no amount of remedying the support parts of the game will ever resolve.   

So, for this iteration of F1 2021, it's frustrating how much doesn't work seamlessly but it could be so much worse. Of course it depends on the issues you have as mine aren't all that bad but Petro1319's issue where it turns the console off is alot worse and he's more than entitled to be aggrieved as that's a fundamental flaw if it is tied to something the game is doing. 

Exactly. F1 2020 improved a lot over time, so much even that hardcore players didn't even notice. I saw Araava mistakenly say that in F1 2021 in MyTeam we now have every sponsor slot on the car separately. This was also already in the final version of F1 2020. Being a yearly franchise and knowing the F1 games used to release only in September I am very satisfied on what they deliver on launch this year. We probably will see things be added that should have been there from launch. 

• Agree 1

For player career there is zero news this year, even F2 career is still just end race and go to next. Even worse is we see only one victory and podium animation.