Jump to content Jump to content

AI difficulty calculator

Hello everyone.

I just made a guide to choose the level of the AI difficulty. Here the link to a google sheets: link doesn't available anymore

Copy it to edit.

Do you best time in time trial with the Mercedes or the Multiplayer car with your best custom setting on Barcelona track. Put the time in seconds in the yellow cell. The difficulty you have to set to having a realistic performance is calculated below. If you want to have another goal for exemple trying to score points with a Williams of playing only the point with the Red Bull, the table below will guide you.

There is also a second tab for 2P split screen or private online multiplayer where you can write the time your buddy did and the green cell in the table at the top will show you the couple of the car you should choose to playing close together on the track. Of course, you can also mix it with the first tab to set the AI difficulty in multiplayer (maybe decrease it by 5 to have easy as there is no flashback in multi). You can also repeat the same thing for a 3rd player, and another one, etc. but of course, more you add player, more it will difficult to find a match for everyone.

I know it isn't perfect, and maybe you still have to adjust AI level depending of the track, but it's a first step to helping you to find a good experience of racing in F1 2021 and I hope you will enjoy this sharing.

New version:

1 minute ago, john_dragnst said:

And here the file as promise. Don't forget to erase my time and write down yours 😉

If you have questions or comments, you're welcome.

F1 2021 difficulty setup.xlsx 32.22 kB · 1 download

Edited by john_dragnst
Update
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5

Hey, this is a really cool sheet. I really like the table with the different goals and cars, makes setting up a session miles easier.

Just checking though, does everything in the sheet account for if the difficulty doesn't scale linearly? Last year, from memory, every point above 105 difficulty was effectively worth two points, which made creating sheets like this an absolute pain.

Great work though, I'll definitely be using this!

• 2 weeks later...

Oh these are great. Thank you very much.

But what I find so frustrating is that players are making these tools for years now and are posting them on the official codemasters forum and still Codemasters has done nothing with this. These calculators should not be necessary.

I find this so game breaking. I had a blast with season 1 but when it comes to season 2 of MyTeam career. I get confused because I don't know what to aim for anymore. Is my car development worse or was this track one of the tracks were I had to lower the difficulty. So the fun stops and I have to do administrative work to get my career going. That is really gamebreaking. I'm on a console. I don't wanna start looking things up on a laptop. I pay millions to get my factories deliver me top notch technology but none of those millions can deliver me a strategist that will calculate the difficulty of the next track based on the data we got from season 1?  

Edited by BelgiumDude
  • Agree 5
43 minutes ago, BelgiumDude said:

Oh these are great. Thank you very much.

But what I find so frustrating is that players are making these tools for years now and are posting them on the official codemasters forum and still Codemasters has done nothing with this. These calculators should not be necessary.

I find this so game breaking. I had a blast with season 1 but when it comes to season 2 of MyTeam career. I get confused because I don't know what to aim for anymore. Is my car development worse or was this track one of the tracks were I had to lower the difficulty. So the fun stops and I have to do administrative work to get my career going. That is really gamebreaking. I'm on a console. I don't wanna start looking things up on a laptop. I pay millions to get my factories deliver me top notch technology but none of those millions can deliver me a strategist that will calculate the difficulty of the next track based on the data we got from season 1?  

Totally agreed with you. That’s why, for the moment, I’m only playing a full GP season (no career) to know which difficulty level I should choose and wait for a couple of patches (especially the performance patch) before diving into the career. Without speaking of the stupid transfers you cannot even disable!😠

On 7/22/2021 at 9:39 PM, john_dragnst said:

Hello everyone.

I just made a guide to choose the level of the AI difficulty. Here the link to a google sheets: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15fnSA19mXF4_Ix0hSGvC9BTooXjuoo_lcgqYsrnFMKQ/edit?usp=sharing

Copy it to edit.

Do you best time in time trial with the Mercedes or the Multiplayer car with your best custom setting on Barcelona track. Put the time in seconds in the yellow cell. The difficulty you have to set to having a realistic performance is calculated below. If you want to have another goal for exemple trying to score points with a Williams of playing only the point with the Red Bull, the table below will guide you.

There is also a second tab for 2P split screen or private online multiplayer where you can write the time your buddy did and the green cell in the table at the top will show you the couple of the car you should choose to playing close together on the track. Of course, you can also mix it with the first tab to set the AI difficulty in multiplayer (maybe decrease it by 5 to have easy as there is no flashback in multi). You can also repeat the same thing for a 3rd player, and another one, etc. but of course, more you add player, more it will difficult to find a match for everyone.

I know it isn't perfect, and maybe you still have to adjust AI level depending of the track, but it's a first step to helping you to find a good experience of racing in F1 2021 and I hope you will enjoy this sharing.

Edited. Managed to copy it.

Edited by Sonic6L
On 8/5/2021 at 9:44 AM, philappleraily said:

Totally agreed with you. That’s why, for the moment, I’m only playing a full GP season (no career) to know which difficulty level I should choose and wait for a couple of patches (especially the performance patch) before diving into the career. Without speaking of the stupid transfers you cannot even disable!😠

Exactly this, I'm playing through breaking point at the moment. But then ill be starting the championship on gp mode (25% so its quicker) before even attempting my team (usually play this on 50%). 

Although I might try that F1laps link above as doing 3 or 4 laps on time trial mode will be so much quicker then even 25% races with qualifying

Edited by Ukbordoy
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Sonic6L said:

Just a question for @john_dragnst, in this spreadsheet, if we're using a custom car, Column N is the AI we should use?

No. This column is the modifier of the track . For exemple, if you calculate you want to play with 85 AI on a normal track (depends of your time, of how challenging you want the game, and if you want realistic or a custom setup of the blue & red table), at Monaco you should decrease it 10 points so set it at 75.

The multiplayer car is the Mercedes. If you use your career car, choose the car that are the closest of yours on the development graph and choose your goal in the blue & red table. Then, use the N column to adjust this difficulty depending of the track. For exemple, with my time, in carrer, my car is close from the Alfa Romeo. I just play a race in 100% at Austria and catch some big points with 85 difficulty. As i should add 10 more points to the AI to have a realistic performance of my car, it's like I played with 75 AI difficulty. Based on my table, I should be able to finish average (4-8) and it's exactly what I've did. Of course, the purpose of my sheet is to make the opposite, define a objective to choose the proper difficulty ;I just would to confirm the values calculated are not too far from what it should be.

Edited by john_dragnst
On 8/6/2021 at 6:06 PM, john_dragnst said:

No. This column is the modifier of the track . For exemple, if you calculate you want to play with 85 AI on a normal track (depends of your time, of how challenging you want the game, and if you want realistic or a custom setup of the blue & red table), at Monaco you should decrease it 10 points so set it at 75.

The multiplayer car is the Mercedes. If you use your career car, choose the car that are the closest of yours on the development graph and choose your goal in the blue & red table. Then, use the N column to adjust this difficulty depending of the track. For exemple, with my time, in carrer, my car is close from the Alfa Romeo. I just play a race in 100% at Austria and catch some big points with 85 difficulty. As i should add 10 more points to the AI to have a realistic performance of my car, it's like I played with 75 AI difficulty. Based on my table, I should be able to finish average (4-8) and it's exactly what I've did. Of course, the purpose of my sheet is to make the opposite, define a objective to choose the proper difficulty ;I just would to confirm the values calculated are not too far from what it should be.

Okay thanks, I think I understand what you are saying. 

On 8/5/2021 at 8:57 AM, BelgiumDude said:

Could not agree more - it should be so that no more than 5 clicks up/down to adjust are needed. I’ve had to go 10-15 in some cases.

I’ve been playing on MyTeam and the AI is so up and down it’s shocking - I set my difficulty to 90 and have kept it there since Bahrain - since then I’ve qualified 22nd in Spain but 6th at Spa (with the then 2nd worst car) 🤔. I’ve finished on average 9th in all my races so far - but my results have actually yo-yo’d from 22nd to 4th. Obv some of this is driving style being suited to some tracks and new car parts developed etc but really?!? 

There must be some stats they can run from time trial laps to set AI ability - create a bell curve and then set AI difficulty. 

Or (and perhaps better), the Race Pace program is at every weekend - they could farm that for data, create a bell curve and then set AI difficulty 😎

Edited by Monzie83
  • Agree 5
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2021 at 2:12 AM, Monzie83 said:

I’ve been playing on MyTeam and the AI is so up and down it’s shocking - I set my difficulty to 90 and have kept it there since Bahrain - since then I’ve qualified 22nd in Spain

I think something has changed - I restarted MyTeam at the same AI level (90), yet this time I managed to qualify 16th at Spain using exactly the same setup as last time. Lap time slightly improved, maybe a tenth.🤔

Anyone else noticed differences in the AI since the new patch?

Edited by Monzie83
  • 4 weeks later...

Just a word to say I work on a completely new version with the new performance update.

It will add a more tuned setup for each tracks:

1. Track specific setup based of your skill (so IA will be faster on track you play well and slower on tracks you mess).
  2. Track specific setup based on universal skill (still adjusted track by track, but based on top 10 time trial time, so if you are better on some tracks, you will perform better against this specific IA).

I'm just waiting at least one week for time trial charts become more representative for version 2.

There still we be car (My Team included) vs goal adjusting and coop cars suggestions.

The new version will be in an Excel file (2013).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2
4 minutes ago, john_dragnst said:

Just a word to say I work on a completely new version with the new performance update.

1. Track specific setup based of your skill (so IA will be faster on track you play well and slower on tracks you mess).
  2. Track specific setup based on universal skill (still adjusted track by track, but based on top 10 time trial time, so if you are better on some tracks, you will perform better against this specific IA).

I'm just waiting at least one week for time trial charts become more representative for version 2.

There still we be car (My Team included) vs goal adjusting and coop cars suggestions.

Wow. Thanks 💪💪💪

10 hours ago, john_dragnst said:

Thanks bud. Codemasters should hire you to work with them on the AI balancing! Your spreadsheet from before is absolutely perfect for me,  looking forward to the new one.