Jump to content Jump to content

The amount of understeer is just starting to get annoying

I’m comparing the handling from the same setup between TT and “normal” races. I know TT is all setup for perfect conditions, but if I notice that I’m in TT having a pretty decent setup where the car does what I want, and in “normal” with tyres almost in the same range in temps, the car is nowhere near how it handles in TT. And I mean seriously different. I know there always is a difference between the two, but even then my setups shouldn’t be completely different in terms of handling like you’re driving 2 different cars. 

i make my setups with that difference in account, but on tracks like Austria, Silverstone, Zandvoort in the fast corners it’s 180 degrees it seems. 

7 minutes ago, AlexTT said:

I’m comparing the handling from the same setup between TT and “normal” races. I know TT is all setup for perfect conditions, but if I notice that I’m in TT having a pretty decent setup where the car does what I want, and in “normal” with tyres almost in the same range in temps, the car is nowhere near how it handles in TT. And I mean seriously different. I know there always is a difference between the two, but even then my setups shouldn’t be completely different in terms of handling like you’re driving 2 different cars. 

i make my setups with that difference in account, but on tracks like Austria, Silverstone, Zandvoort in the fast corners it’s 180 degrees it seems. 

Are you talking about MyTeam or Grand Prix with the same car in TT

10 minutes ago, TJH said:

Are you talking about MyTeam or Grand Prix with the same car in TT

I never compare to career or myteam because the car is way too different.

always gp

@AlexTT I do not think that is the issue, but if we were talking about a hardcore F1 racing sim I'd wager that setups would, indeed, be greatly different between Time Trials and simulation modes to account for tyre work and fuel load. Tabs like suspension geometry would hardly carry over. And still, the driving and the car behavior would vary a lot too all throughout the event, with the closest resemblance (to TT) in performance and feel being qualy.  

All this to say that if we are to see this franchise shifting from an arcadey sim to a real sim, a valley in difficulty and feel is precisely what we should expect.

• Social Media & Community Team
15 hours ago, marioho said:

setting the on throttle diff to left/right on the right analog stick and the brake bias to up/down on it

This is one of the secret tricks to being fast on a pad.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
2 hours ago, marioho said:

@AlexTT I do not think that is the issue, but if we were talking about a hardcore F1 racing sim I'd wager that setups would, indeed, be greatly different between Time Trials and simulation modes to account for tyre work and fuel load. Tabs like suspension geometry would hardly carry over. And still, the driving and the car behavior would vary a lot too all throughout the event, with the closest resemblance (to TT) in performance and feel being qualy.  

All this to say that if we are to see this franchise shifting from an arcadey sim to a real sim, a valley in difficulty and feel is precisely what we should expect.

This. It should always be the case and I don't know if TT is the best environment to test race setups. I play 100% distance, for example, and my setups are aimed to be decent with half tank and medium compound. It gives me enough flexibility in terms of strategy. A setup that is good only with empty tank and fresh soft tyres is basically useless unless you're focused on TT.

Edited by sirio994
  • Agree 1

I have no complaints about this year's handling but just got into the thread to read what people said. 

18 hours ago, marioho said:

Now I play on a controller with no assist of any kind, but admittedly one change I made that has turned tables in my experience is setting the on throttle diff to left/right on the right analog stick and the brake bias to up/down on it. I adjust the diff 3 times per lap on Bahrain and BB 5 times on Spain. How many times did I do it on F1 2020? Absolutely nil, at least not a consistent approach like this.

But this doesn't really sound like a good thing at all lol

The fact that you have to constantly change the differential or brake bias mid-lap so many times just to get a stable car is definitely not a good thing, I can't imagine doing something more annoying than that to tell you the truth, I wouldn't play the game anymore if I had to. I find it strange that you're "defending" this year's handling while saying you have to do this extemely bothersome thing you didn't have to do in last year's game. Again, personally I have no complaint with this year's handling.

Edited by AgusNC
  • Agree 1

I've had the game since last Friday ( pre-order release ) and noticed major understeer and was becoming ( no pun intended ) a bit turned of. I literally played 15 hours straight ( I'm retired and have no life 🙂 ) the 1st day. Now that I'm in my 2nd season and I guess getting better at setting up the car this year I'm noticing as I update the car understeer is becoming less of an issue.

I'm wondering if this was an intentional thing, to have the car get better as the season went causing vehicle updates to have a heavier bearing on performance?

Edited by RhysWon1
31 minutes ago, AgusNC said:

I have no complaints about this year's handling but just got into the thread to read what people said. 

But this isn't really a good thing at all lol

The fact that you have to constantly change the differential or brake bias mid-lap so many times just to get a stable car is definitely not a good thing, I can't imagine doing something more annoying than that to tell you the truth, I wouldn't play the game anymore if I had to. I find it strange that you're "defending" this year's handling while saying you have to do this extemely bothersome thing you didn't have to do in last year's game. Again, personally I have no complaint with this year's handling.

Of course I can. I just need to brake less, be gentler on the throttle or less aggressive when turning. Yes, in the end I'll be a tad slower, but I'll still be racing to my "limit" and still having fun. Wheel adjustments to the order of 7-15 per lap not counting gear shifts are like lazy Tuesday to these guys in real life and heavy in realistic racing sims.

You're misinterpreting me, mate. I'm not defending the game while conceding I need to "juggle" more stuff. What I meant is that I'm finally having fun doing all these on-the-fly adjustments because they finally feel rewarding, feel worthy. When before I would settle with a balanced setup and not see much use adjusting anything, now I get both of these things: a balanced setup and extra performance with a flick of an analog stick here and there. 

To put it in a different way, my F1 2021 setups are giving me a well behaved and performant car, just like in F1 2020. But when last year I did not find it that big of a difference to keep on locking or unlocking the power differential during a lap, now I do. The car is not in the least any more unstable without it, but I find extra tenths. And I like it.    

Edit TL;DR: I'm having no trouble having a good base car. Just as easily if not even more than last year. I'm finding it easier to get the extra performance. 

Edited by marioho
2 hours ago, RhysWon1 said:

I've had the game since last Friday ( pre-order release ) and noticed major understeer and was becoming a bit turned of. I literally played 15 hours straight ( I'm retired and have no life 🙂 ) the 1st day. Now that I'm in my 2nd season and I guess getting better at setting up the car this year I'm noticing as I update the car understeer is becoming less of an issue.

I'm wondering if this was an intentional thing, to have the car get better as the season went causing vehicle updates to have a heavier bearing on performance?

If this was intentional, then they didn’t understand the whole regulation change 1 bit. 

the goal was to remove 10% downforce through the floor and rear parts, which should mean that the REAR tyres shouldn’t have to handle that much load. Pirelli brought new tyres (2 times 😜) but the main problem was the downforce generated by the floor to the rear. 

in any case we should have suffered from a more loose rear end. Plus after wintertests, no driver complained that the card had suddenly understeer. 

even now teams have already regained 6 to 7% of their downforce back, so the cars are pretty on par compared to last year. 

22 hours ago, marioho said:

All this to say that experiences are bound to vary a lot. It would be more productive if we made it a thing to share clips and setups when discussing the handling. Specially because this here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfPgKnxJJ6I

Thanks, thats a great link. I was assuming I am oversteering, it might be understeer actually.

Any tips for Monaco on controller with no assists? It feels very slippery on throttle, struggling mainly on turn 3-4, turn 14 and swimming pool section. Managed only 4 valid laps out of around 40.

@myst the more I play, the more I'm positive the best is to do a leisure lap or two with near maximum Rear Toe and 8-10 or something in that ballpark for ride height. That's to deal with the kerbs in this new physics and handling model. 

I'm bolding only rear toe here though because that's the #1 quick fix for "slippery on throttle". That, and setting a suspension that is softer on the rear. Just have in mind that if you have, say, a 2-3 front/rear springs, you can make the rear softer either by 2-2 or 3-3. Crazy, right? That's because springs actually are your go-to tool for weight distribution. By making an end stiffer, you're springing it in a way that it will kick more weight to the other end. So by stiffening the front, you're throwing more weight to the rear. The same result (more weight sitting on the rear axle) would be obtained by softening the rear.

They're not one and the same, thugh. Weight distribution is just one aspect of the springs. Starting with a 2-3 car, the handling will be different by changing to a 3-3 and to a 2-2.

Play with that a bit, but rear toe is probably the best starting point as incrementing the toe in of the rear axle improves your stability and helps you put more power down on the early acceleration phase.

If you're struggling with a loose rear end/slippery car when accelerating out of fast corners, then you should also play a bit with the Rear Camber. 

• Thanks 1
13 hours ago, marioho said:

If you're struggling with a loose rear end/slippery car when accelerating out of fast corners, then you should also play a bit with the Rear Camber. 

Yes, struggling with this.

Thanks for all the great tips, will try these out!!!

23 hours ago, Veremith said:

The handling is fine. I haven't had any issues with under steer, maybe in my team S1 but its S1 you have a horrible car it should be under steery

Thats what i am hoping. Really need some aero and chassis upgrades to the car in MyTeam. The understeer is so bad for my car at Silverstone its hard to keep up with my teammate.

On 7/22/2021 at 11:47 PM, Bauer said:

Going flat through the Monaco tunnel in the season one My Team car is a challenge this year. It understeers into the left hand wall and yet if you correct it you oversteer and crash on the right. 

Just had Monaco 50% race yesterday,made it without any incident,just before rascasse i spun once when i attacked the curbs too much. I just have TC on medium,otherwise assists off. Cannot confirm your comment mate.

@dino78 didn't start My Team yet but if it is anything like last year do not neglect those chassis upgrades! In my playthrough I went all power and drag reduction, not ticking all the weight distribution upgrades in the Chassis tree. Boy oh boy did it suck! Driving was like tying your shoes with heavy duty gloves on.

When I got back to speed development wise it was like driving a F1 car again.

2 hours ago, marioho said:

@dino78 didn't start My Team yet but if it is anything like last year do not neglect those chassis upgrades! In my playthrough I went all power and drag reduction, not ticking all the weight distribution upgrades in the Chassis tree. Boy oh boy did it suck! Driving was like tying your shoes with heavy duty gloves on.

When I got back to speed development wise it was like driving a F1 car again.

I've already made that mistake. Should have focused on aero and chassis initially rather than powertrain. The car is a dog. Massive understeer. Need my chassis and aero (front and rear wing) upgrades to come through soon.

On 7/23/2021 at 4:02 PM, AlexTT said:

If this was intentional, then they didn’t understand the whole regulation change 1 bit. 

the goal was to remove 10% downforce through the floor and rear parts, which should mean that the REAR tyres shouldn’t have to handle that much load. Pirelli brought new tyres (2 times 😜) but the main problem was the downforce generated by the floor to the rear. 

in any case we should have suffered from a more loose rear end. Plus after wintertests, no driver complained that the card had suddenly understeer. 

even now teams have already regained 6 to 7% of their downforce back, so the cars are pretty on par compared to last year. 

Since the start of this game cycle, they havent change the performance of the cars, only a bit on the powertrain side (at least on career).

I can't stop wondering if all these driving challenges might be correlated to the non updated performances. Singapore is really awkward which the backmarkers go really slow while the merc rbr pair flyes down the track taking sometimes even 5s or more per lap

On 7/22/2021 at 6:39 PM, LagoaBE said:

Same. Game feels so difficult to drive without assists. And it’s just not a fun feeling to not feel comfortable with the car and have to drive cautiously the entire time. It sucks. Try getting a good lap on monaco. Holy ****, my last f1 was 2019, this game just feels so uncomfortable to drive. 

From what I've experienced and read and viewed, it appears that Monaco is a track from hell and, outside of the elite esports guys and gals, we should just be skipping it.

I spent the entire weekend trying more than 10 different setups and was forced to restart my sessions 100 times, it felt like.

I always leave Monaco out of my 16 race season in MyTeam. Or if im doing a 20 race season then just crash out at start of race on purpose. Hate Monaco in the game and watching it in real life. Dinosaur track not fit for purpose but needed for F1 to schmooze the rich people on their swanky yachts.

Edited by dino78
  • Social Media & Community Team
2 hours ago, RWa said:

I think when driving with T cam there is much more understeer than when driving in cockpit view. 

The physics don't change, only your perception of them 🙂 

• Like 1

Honestly it depends on platform and assist in my opinion I bought f1 2020 on both Xbox and PC and there was a significant difference in terms of downforce mainly understeer on PC basically non existing and on Xbox understeer like crazy... what is really needed on Xbox is getting a fully wheel update basically like PC where you can update your wheel over thrustmaster website because this understeer has been there for 4 years like then because as others here also said abs users are more often on the top of the leaderboard if you turn abs on the car has fir some reason much more front grip