Jump to content Jump to content

Why does everyone like replays so much?

JZStudios

Strolling through the suggestion box I come across countless threads of people asking for replay improvements, do people really spend that much time watching what they just did? I mean, if I do something cool like bounce off a rock and do a complete barrel roll, then sure, I'll watch that a few times, but it seems like some people are addicted to it, like a weird form of self narcissism. Is anyone watching it to see where they need to improve or just watching?

YouTube videos & screenshots from replays are sometimes used to highlight/report bugs/issues.

Replays are sometimes used in organized league competitions to verify results & review penalties.

Replays are sometimes used to get desired angles for screenshots/photos that can be used in articles, blogs, forum posts, wallpapers/backgrounds, etc.

It's in just about any game's own best interest to have robust replay & photo modes because it enables free/"organic" marketing through customers who share their game videos & pics over various social media outlets.

I'm with you OP, I never watch them in any game unless I'm trying to learn something, but that's usually onboard. Sometimes I will watch the AI race in other games when I'm tweaking settings, but not really relevant here.

That said, I will argue that it makes a great sales tool when videos are on YouTube. If it wasn't for YouTube I wouldn't own any of the (small number of) current games I play.
youtube twitch basically is video games marketing. its very important indeed.

any popular guy can influence how a game sells.can make a game popular over night.its very important people cater for replays and any media creation. some do it very good some not very well.

Operator1 said:

YouTube videos & screenshots from replays are sometimes used to highlight/report bugs/issues.

Replays are sometimes used in organized league competitions to verify results & review penalties.

Replays are sometimes used to get desired angles for screenshots/photos that can be used in articles, blogs, forum posts, wallpapers/backgrounds, etc.

It's in just about any game's own best interest to have robust replay & photo modes because it enables free/"organic" marketing through customers who share their game videos & pics over various social media outlets.

Spot on. Imagine being able to look at the leaderboards and downloading replays of someone's run.
Picking up on the tautology of self narcissm (by definition narcissim refers to oneself) there is no doubt many of us like to watch ourselves and enjoy in this case being a rally driver. There is an element of fantasy to it and for most of us the only opportunity to drive flat out on a rally stage and watch ourselves afterwards driving just like we see see on the TV.
Picking up on the tautology of self narcissm (by definition narcissim refers to oneself) there is no doubt many of us like to watch ourselves and enjoy in this case being a rally driver. There is an element of fantasy to it and for most of us the only opportunity to drive flat out on a rally stage and watch ourselves afterwards driving just like we see see on the TV.
Living in North America, before YouTube existed, watching my own replays in Rallisport Challenge 2 was the only way I could see any rallying. :s
ramPage16 said:
Operator1 said:

Spot on. Imagine being able to look at the leaderboards and downloading replays of someone's run.
I hate to mention it, but that's what Forza does, and some people record drift sessions.
I suppose so. But I live where fun roads are fairly close, though currently, being just a broke 20 year old, I only have a fwd Hyundai Elantra. In seafoam green.
JZStudios said:
I suppose so. But I live where fun roads are fairly close, though currently, being just a broke 20 year old, I only have a fwd Hyundai Elantra. In seafoam green.
But driving flat out where sometimes you total your car or actually die is best done on computer rather than local roads unless you are a pro rally driver on closed roads/forests and are experienced enough to avoid the dying bit :)
JZStudios said:
Picking up on the tautology of self narcissm (by definition narcissim refers to oneself) there is no doubt many of us like to watch ourselves and enjoy in this case being a rally driver. There is an element of fantasy to it and for most of us the only opportunity to drive flat out on a rally stage and watch ourselves afterwards driving just like we see see on th
But driving flat out where sometimes you total your car or actually die is best done on computer rather than local roads unless you are a pro rally driver on closed roads/forests and are experienced enough to avoid the dying bit :)
Well, with any luck, the dying will be quick enough to not think about the fact that I'm dying in a seafoam green Elantra. I know that's what sims are for, but in real life you don't have to flat out for fun.

Archived