Jump to content Jump to content

Williams is a banned name???

So I finally got around to starting a new career on F1 2021 and when I went to input my name, Williamson, I received an error stating that my name was offensive. After some futzing about testing first name and last name, it appears that my last name is offensive because it contains Williams. My name has never been offensive before...at least not in the game. I understand that in multiplayer you may not want some idiot running around that track with the name T**s McF***nugget, but Williams is hardly offensive. I especially find it ironic that Williams is one of the few commentary names in the list.

2 hours ago, cliffow said:

So I finally got around to starting a new career on F1 2021 and when I went to input my name, Williamson, I received an error stating that my name was offensive. After some futzing about testing first name and last name, it appears that my last name is offensive because it contains Williams. My name has never been offensive before...at least not in the game. I understand that in multiplayer you may not want some idiot running around that track with the name T**s McF***nugget, but Williams is hardly offensive. I especially find it ironic that Williams is one of the few commentary names in the list.

I just had to comment that your T** McF*** analogy is hilarious. I am dying here. Thanks for the laugh…but I agree that it makes no sense why you can’t use Williamson.

2 hours ago, MisterJes said:

I get brand names but a family name for the love of Pete sake

The Japanese localization of (at least) F1 2020 used to even have a voice name for 'Honda', but you couldn't use Honda as your surname 😛 

• Like 1

By the way: wouldn't it be good if you could choose a nickname for a league or at least coop season? I mean behind the name is an individual account.. but it is not good for immersion to look at Perez, Sainz, Gunrun689, Leclerc, tiffylap25 and so on on time table. Does anyone knows the reason why it is not possible?

10 minutes ago, DonBlanko said:

By the way: wouldn't it be good if you could choose a nickname for a league or at least coop season? I mean behind the name is an individual account.. but it is not good for immersion to look at Perez, Sainz, Gunrun689, Leclerc, tiffylap25 and so on on time table. Does anyone knows the reason why it is not possible?

Because Gamertags allow people to hide behind online identities. Because some people can't understand where the game stops and real life starts.

We should all use a shortname like VET, LEC or DOE.

• Agree 1
25 minutes ago, steviejay69 said:

Because Gamertags allow people to hide behind online identities. Because some people can't understand where the game stops and real life starts.

Woudnt be possible to use the three letter on these cases?

• Disagree 1
8 hours ago, steviejay69 said:

Okay in open ranked online races I can understand it. But in coop mode you are normally playing with someone you know or is your friend.. there should it be possible in case of immersion to use a name you want. Like in career mode or my team you don't have to use your real name. So I don't really see problem a problem there..

• Agree 2
14 hours ago, cliffow said:

I'll be polite and say that it is a very heavy handed solution that CM has come up with, especially in the single player game mode.

That's the real kicker. It's designed to be a control for offensive names in online play but they've cast the net into single player modes as well.

3 hours ago, DonBlanko said:

Okay in open ranked online races I can understand it. But in coop mode you are normally playing with someone you know or is your friend.. there should it be possible in case of immersion to use a name you want. Like in career mode or my team you don't have to use your real name. So I don't really see problem a problem there..

Only problem I have is....no friends. Especially since volunteering on here 🙂

• Haha 1