Jump to content Jump to content

Red Bull too much turbo whine

@issueskid The 'whine' on the Honda engine this year is overdone compared real life, the in game car sounds at times like a vacuum cleaner with the turbo whine.

Can the 'whine' be turned back a little

real life sound here- Link 

gameplay sound  Link 

(not a complaint about the sound designers, you folks do a great job,  just a small complaint about the the way its mixed)

Edited by TomAAA
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 4
  • Codemasters Staff
31 minutes ago, TomAAA said:

@issueskid The 'whine' on the Honda engine this year is overdone compared real life, the in game car sounds at times like a vacuum cleaner with the whine.

Can the 'whine' be turned back a little

real life sound here- Link 

gameplay sound  Link 

While I appreciate your feedback we're not in a position to please everybody. If you look around the forum at audio feedback this year the consensus seems to be that people think we've made improvements in terms of turbo/transmission whine.

We have these conversations every year around what mix sliders we should offer in game and as you'll appreciate most games generally have very basic control (Music, SFX, Speech), we already offer more control than this and we wouldn't really expand this to include very specific sliders for individuals such as "Turbo Whine".

• Agree 9
On 7/24/2021 at 3:35 AM, issueskid said:

While I appreciate your feedback we're not in a position to please everybody. If you look around the forum at audio feedback this year the consensus seems to be that people think we've made improvements in terms of turbo/transmission whine.

We have these conversations every year around what mix sliders we should offer in game and as you'll appreciate most games generally have very basic control (Music, SFX, Speech), we already offer more control than this and we wouldn't really expand this to include very specific sliders for individuals such as "Turbo Whine".

You've done a great job this year with the sounds so kudos to the sound team.

I'm also really glad that you tonned down the tyre squeal sounds this year too, like when you lock a wheel during braking or loose traction, in my opinion it was to loud last year, though this year it is only just audible which is perfect!.

I also love the new helmet sound in cockpit.

Again well done!.

• Agree 2
On 7/23/2021 at 7:35 PM, issueskid said:

CM did a great job regarding handling and sound. Please don’t modify this.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, ZAPPADIETRO said:

I'm so lucky I only drive the Ferrari SF21, its engine sound when lifting off the throttle is out of this world.

I go slower just to hear it.

That’s why they did so poorly at the French GP this year

For me it isnt about sounding bad. I actually like the sound (in perspective of the sound design). But my problem is that it is just impossible to drive for me.
I have a low tolerance to high pitched sounds due to my chronic tinnitus. And the turbo whistle of the honda just hurts in my ears. I can drive 10 minutes at max before i have to switch off the game. This isnt a matter of sound volume. Even on minimal volume, just hearing the audio frequency of the turbo hurts.

And I know enough people that have more or less the same problem, even without Tinnitus. Some cannot drive the Red Bull or AlphaTauri like me, some cannot drive the alpine, some cannot drive the ferrari powered cars since they all have different tolerance in terms of high pitched sounds.

For me / us, this isnt about "not liking" the sound, it is about being able to play the game without being physically exhausted from the sound alone.

Even a workaround would suffice for me, but there is just no way for me to switch it off, since it isnt possible fixing it through changing sound files. Any help on this would be truly appreciated!

Edited by Monstahonk
On 7/23/2021 at 7:35 PM, issueskid said:

Would be great to have the fully realistic sound, you and your team have got the tools, you and your team have got the talent... Perfect combo for making them!!! Just one question, How do you record F1 sounds from year to year?? Thanks for reading

• TomAAA changed the title to Red Bull too much turbo whine
18 hours ago, Monstahonk said:

Even a workaround would suffice for me, but there is just no way for me to switch it off, since it isnt possible fixing it through changing sound files. Any help on this would be truly appreciated!

Last year we had the option in sound menu to select 'limited range' this actually beefed up the engine sound and was great, but it was removed for this years game. They have said the have no plans sadly to add this mode to this years game