Jump to content Jump to content

Releasing Unfinished Games

35 minutes ago, AlexTT said:

And yet they just can’t eliminate screen tearing or stuttering in cutscenes in 14 years… 

I've not personally had an issue with this but either way me saying the game engine has developed is obviously not the say as claiming it's somehow perfect. 

Whether screen tearing is down to the engine or the target output quality that the devs has chosen would be another question.

15 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

That wasn't the point being made. The point was that it was entirely predictable.

But that still doesn't make it acceptable.

The good news is 1.04 hit my XB this morning so I can at least load my career saves again and thankfully they load fine where I left off.  So thank you for that Codies.  Now my only issue with the game is the killing my console problem which to be honest is far more of an issue than saved games loading or not.

2 hours ago, KNT2011 said:

I often wonder over their claimed gameplay numbers that show the majority of players play offline, if that's because the online modes aren't particularly well designed and those who do play it accept a lot of this to find the experience we enjoy, a lot of players would likely play more online if more effort went into it. 

So on the flipside, they should bin off the single player and invest all those resources into the multiplayer modes,  and release is as F1 sport, online only. 

Hell, COD allows you to delete the single player experience if you don't want it. 

For me personally I would still play the majority of the time offline. But indeed would give online more of a go. But I'm in F1 games to race against Hamilton, Verstappen, Alonso and even more important being able to beat those guys. I'm not in it for racing against Luigi0253144525 who should be watching his screaming baby instead of playing racing games. I'm not in it to get beaten by a 12y old kid or even worse: end up in a lobby with an e-sports champ and ruin his race and become a living meme in the e-sports community 

I have great respect for all those that can put the effort to become so good at online racing but I guess the majority is just like me, can't race but want to become world champion 😂

• Agree 1
13 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

Has anyone said otherwise?

Flat out? No.  But it's pretty much what is being said with people saying we should expect it now based on prior experience etc.  Call it what you will, but that's being accepting of it.

What choice have you got other than to accept it ?. They ain't going to refund everyone are they. You like rest of us have bought the game either unaware or like most fully aware of what we were likely to get early days of release . Now admittedly my version isn't turning my console off or crashing etc I'd be pretty upset if it was sure .. But your choices are basically try and get a refund if the game simply isn't up to a playable standard. Shelf it for few months and see what it's like then. Or simply make best of what you have got while you wait for improvement. Not right or acceptable the state it's in but it's what we've got so ......

9 minutes ago, petro1319 said:

Flat out? No.  But it's pretty much what is being said with people saying we should expect it now based on prior experience etc.  Call it what you will, but that's being accepting of it.

I'd suggest it's simply being realistic. As I said though, if people really want to make things change then stop pre-ordering games.

Edited by Ultra3142
1 minute ago, Ultra3142 said:

I'd suggest it's simply being realistic. As I said though, if people really want to make things change them stop pre-ordering games.

So it's not being realistic to expect to be able to play the game I bought; regardless of pre-order or not?  Okay...  🙄

1 minute ago, petro1319 said:

So it's not being realistic to expect to be able to play the game I bought; regardless of pre-order or not?  Okay...  🙄

I'd suggest it would sadly be unrealistic to expect any modern pre-ordered game to be bug free, and I suspect few would honestly expect this to be the case now. Much as we'd all wish otherwise.

No I wouldn't expect a game to be completely unplayable and I absolutely understand your anger/frustration.

17 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

I'd suggest it would sadly be unrealistic to expect any modern pre-ordered game to be bug free, and I suspect few would honestly expect this to be the case now. Much as we'd all wish otherwise.

No I wouldn't expect a game to be completely unplayable and I absolutely understand your anger/frustration.

But that's exactly the problem.  It shouldn't be unrealistic to have literally game breaking bugs in a game.  Pre-order, or day one purchase, or even week 1.  It's ridiculous to think that would be a realistic expectation.  I'm really not sure why you're defending this position.  I get it, that's how it is now but that is exactly the problem and the fact that we accept it and think that way is the whole problem.   Anyways, were going around in circles like a Nascar race here; so there's not much point.  😄

11 minutes ago, petro1319 said:

But that's exactly the problem.  It shouldn't be unrealistic to have literally game breaking bugs in a game.   😄

Read my last post again...

(Sorry, I can't delete the out of place smiley face there on my phone.)

Did not see this thread bulging as it did.

As @BelgiumDude pointed out, the strong side of this franchise is the offline experience. And not just out of contrast to the online; the AI is positively good.

I can hardly stand those screaming man baby streamers and their reviews, so after I get my fill of 2 or 3 of these, I go looking up for sim racers take on the game. They usually come out later anyway, just yesterday spotted two new videos on Youtube.

Anyway, in general even the most "meh, it's ok" sim racer take out there still singles out how the AI is good in this franchise and the step they took with this year's entry did not go unnoticed.

From what I know from real racing sims, indeed the AI is miles behind that of the F1 games. They are all catered for online play.

Now with the engine, I do not know much about its evolution and development but I'd take a dedicated engine over a base one any day of the week. With the architecture behind today's consoles, where developing games for them is practically the same as developing for PC, performance issues can be ironed out easier by improving the engine proper, middleware or maybe just the software based on it. And that's way less work then learning the ropes of a new third or second party general purpose engine.

That's just my uneducated guess, though. Could be that EGO is a fossilized engine in need of replacement and I have no clue. Just don't think it's likely and much prefer specialized tools for a specialized genre as the know how and middleware you get over the years is unvaluable.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I already said: go back to basics, build something GOOD, with as low bugs possible, and listen to the community, be transparent. 

in stead of packed with features like career and story, make the foundation what it should be: ABOUT RACING! 

make the racing good, offline and online! 

F1 is supposed to be the pinnacle of autosport, but the latest iterations of F1 games are far from. Graphically always on the backfoot (Russel looks like he hasn’t eaten for days!). Now they even break 3D audio in PS5. Games shutting down Series X, HDR issues, next gen ready my ass. 

i read someone post something about me always ranting, so…??? I point out the issues, even with a decent amount of depth with it, it’s not like talking like a headless chicken. 

but happily I’m not the only one anymore (since I’ve been busy to get CM to get off their asses for years) and lots more people are FINALLY on the same page. 

like I said, I love F1 since the 80’s, it’s the pinnacle of autosport. It’s the 20 best skilled drivers against each other. This needs to reflect in the game, but also in online lobbies. 

and before people are offended: NEXT  SAID IS NOT MEANT TO TALK ANYONE DOWN OR ELITIST IN ANY WAY NOR SAYING I’M ELITIST OR THE BEST! 

that said:

You can’t put people who use assists and are unwilling or too lazy or just care about winning, in the same lobbies as people who try to use no assists and label the same “SKILL” level on them. 
That’s just insulting the non assist users en disrepectfull to their time and effort they put in to be fast without assists/training wheels. 

It simply is like CM saying; “oh you put in 2000 hrs to learn to race without assists? Good for you, but this guy who played 3 hrs with all assists is on your skill level” 

and that is what happens in ranked, and creates a unfair playground. And yeah maybe the look of the lobbies has changed, but the filters in unranked are trash and don’t even work. 

so yeah I’m critical, as how it’s supposed to be as someone who pays Codemasters, just like everyone else. YOU ALL PAY THE SALARIES OF CODEMASTERS! 

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1
1 hour ago, peanutt2000 said:

The real season start should be a real driver career mode that’s for sure. It’s ridiculous how you can’t be a real driver when playing real season start. Absolutely ridiculous 

What grates about this is that they were so vague about it and let people assume that's what it was, so they could include it in their new features video. Knowing full well as soon as players discovered what it was, it would immediately lose any excitement it might of had. It's borderline dishonest.

Why is it a career? Why does it lead into a career? It offers nothing as that. If they had kept the full championship mode, they could have added this in there, instead of starting from the first race, hey you can start right now where the season is! And play the championship as the standings currently are. That is a feature, and I would have loved it personally as a championship player. 

It might have slipped under the radar for most players, and lord knows I do get tired of the constant negativity on here, but you are right to stay mad about this mate. 

• Like 1
  • Disagree 1
13 minutes ago, KNT2011 said:

If they had kept the full championship mode, they could have added this in there,

I agree, that's the only place I can really see any point to the 'real season start', in trying to take a driver of your choice through the rest of the season. Even then I'll admit that personally I'd rather play a full season anyway and so can't really see me using it myself, but I can see some definitely would.

• Agree 1
19 minutes ago, KNT2011 said:

What grates about this is that they were so vague about it and let people assume that's what it was, so they could include it in their new features video. Knowing full well as soon as players discovered what it was, it would immediately lose any excitement it might of had. It's borderline dishonest.

Why is it a career? Why does it lead into a career? It offers nothing as that. If they had kept the full championship mode, they could have added this in there, instead of starting from the first race, hey you can start right now where the season is! And play the championship as the standings currently are. That is a feature, and I would have loved it personally as a championship player. 

It might have slipped under the radar for most players, and lord knows I do get tired of the constant negativity on here, but you are right to stay mad about this mate. 

And WHY do you think there’s so much negativity here? There are members who are like me since 2017 bringing up issues that still persist until now, not starting about the rest on the list that keeps growing with bugs.

The REAL problem is that no matter what you issue, except from Barry (who’s community manager and NOT a programmer/dev and has far less technical know how about the coding)  there’s ZERO to almost non existent transparancy from CM to the community. Look at bug reports, many are tagged with dev team, but no updates, nothing.

in the past there was a sort of road map in where we could expect certain updates, what the team is working on, but that’s already non existent also. Even though this was one of the things the community appeciated because it was a form of transparancy and acknowledgement of the issues we report. 

A form of feeling that you’re taken serious, beeing heard. Why else would you have a forum? 

(Almost) NEVER do you see a Dev. Posting things here apart from udp stuff and when you give a thumbs up to the sound team. 

Then take that with the lies that in previous years were told with steel face by Lee (doesn’t)Mather about they listened to the community (whilst it really was copy paste including bugs) about it beeing a SIM, then that ****** me off yes. 

Negativity is an effect, and the cause is Codemasters and the way they show to the community time and time again that they don’t care. 

negativity doesn’t come out of itself. 

• Agree 4
2 hours ago, KNT2011 said:

All I want is a career mode where you can play a full season with R&D and all the goodies but play it with an actual F1 driver instead of creating one!!! It’s like buying fifa and not been able to play as a real team unless it’s a friendly. I thought real season start was gonna be what I was after, playing a full season as Lando Norris against Danny Ric but with all the R&D stuff that you can do in career but obviously codemasters let us down and all they are interested in is creating a made up driver for a made up team! Stupid.

@AlexTT I wish there was plenty of more feedback for our feedback going on too. But can you name devs with better community interaction and management?

The only communities I can speak about are those for Rainbow Six Siege, Monster Hunter, Pro Evolution Soccer, Witcher 3 and Red Dead Redemption 2. In the sense of being active almost on a daily basis, those are the communities and forums I have personal experience with.

• R6: Used to be the best one out there, with a strong presence of a community manager bridging feedback from the devs.
  • Monster Hunter: Pretty good, if you speak Japanese. Otherwise it's mostly "hey, Capcom tweeted in response to this, here is the best translation I can make".
  • PES: Silence from Konami, a truckload of lies from that community manager chap from the UK.
  • Witcher 3: No direct interaction from CDPR, but lots of patches and changes in response to community feedback.
  • RDR2: Nothing that I remember, but the single player game has always been solid.

Codemasters' F1 has the best one, by far. Obviously it could be much better but I haven't ever personally met one. Would love to hear your experience if it was any different.

• Like 1

One games company that I think is doing a decent job of engaging with fans right now is IO Interactive, who make the Hitman games. Below is their latest Twitch livestream. It starts off promoting new content but later on gets into responding to player questions and updates on game bugs.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1094500496

The worst example of player support I've come across is for the golf game PGA 2K21, where there is basically no interaction with players whatsoever. Before 2K took over HB Studios the situation was much better so possibly we've had a lucky escape in the Codemasters deal with 2K falling through.

@Ultra3142 yes, they're dope! Also Larian Studios are everything a gamer could ask for in a company. Their social interaction is stellar! Did not list them because I was trying to be honest. Played a lot of Divinity 2 and will most definitely play Baldur's Gate 3, but I didn't engage in the community much.

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, marioho said:

@AlexTT I wish there was plenty of more feedback for our feedback going on too. But can you name devs with better community interaction and management?

The only communities I can speak about are those for Rainbow Six Siege, Monster Hunter, Pro Evolution Soccer, Witcher 3 and Red Dead Redemption 2. In the sense of being active almost on a daily basis, those are the communities and forums I have personal experience with.

• R6: Used to be the best one out there, with a strong presence of a community manager bridging feedback from the devs.
  • Monster Hunter: Pretty good, if you speak Japanese. Otherwise it's mostly "hey, Capcom tweeted in response to this, here is the best translation I can make".
  • PES: Silence from Konami, a truckload of lies from that community manager chap from the UK.
  • Witcher 3: No direct interaction from CDPR, but lots of patches and changes in response to community feedback.
  • RDR2: Nothing that I remember, but the single player game has always been solid.

Codemasters' F1 has the best one, by far. Obviously it could be much better but I haven't ever personally met one. Would love to hear your experience if it was any different.

I’m not in much communities because I lack the time of that because of my work.

But my experience with devs is Bungie. When Destiny released there was a lot of critisism but zero input from the devs. Once the playnumbers went down, they turned around 180 degrees, and now they do streams, have good community managers, give a lot of technical feedback with their weekly “this week at bungie” There you’ll see a lot of times where devs (and not someone bottom ladder but the lead devs and such) point out issues, buffs and nerfs, or why they’re changing things, even a lot of times with a technical explanation.

here is a codies raceline or whatever which gives zero input, just some general talk about the game, and how to buy the deluxe edition. 

I want to hear from devs what they encounter, how they plan to solve it, what time we can expect a patch, all in all, MORE INPUT FROM CM TO US.

just go to Bungie.net and read some this week at bungie blogs, there you’ll see when or what they’re planning to patch including technical feedback and how and why they do it. 

Now THAT’S some feedback where people can do something with. And you don’t have to wait weeks for any form of answer. Please give some examples where there’s replies from DEVS, not Barry, and explaining what’ss causing issues, or anything about the state of the game. 

If you think CM is good, (apart from Barry, he’s trying to work with what info he gets) we are in great disagreement my friend, but we don’t have to agree, and I respect your opinion. 

Edited by AlexTT

I want the official stance of the developers. I don't care if it comes through a community manager or directly from the devs, as long as it is the official word from the team behind the game about a given issue or feature.

The community manager role exist for that exact reason, mate. And in talking about Bungie you mention they having "good community managers", so I don't follow you in requiring the guy that actually wrote the code for the front springs physics stepping in here to talk about their plans for balancing understeering, as that is what it seems when you say you want to hear "from the devs" and not Barry.

Aside from that, last I heard Destiny 2 is not really pushing any envelope. Far from it.

image.png.2385a3c898a838bb6e581da31e09534f.png

That and a grind system that actually grind the player's teeth out of frustration for the amount of hours they have to put in for the transmog feature.