Jump to content Jump to content

I might be devil's advocate but...

F1 2021 isn't that bad as everybody says, yes there are bugs like game's going mute after I ALT+TAB it, the save breaking bug with changing livery on MyTeam (thank god they fixed so quickly, but i know for other things we'll have to wait much longer) random crashes, turning wheel 100% left or right in the pits, with this bugs i written (i know that's not all of them not even 1/3 of them) I had and still have only, game going mute after  ALT+TAB (it unmutes after about 3/4 sec after coming back to it), for me this game saying from driving and Driver Carrer mode and MyTeam is not bad, the handling is better, it's much harder to get on power on the kerbs than in 2020 and AI, o my god is so better, they don;t leave you alone, even if you make a gap they are trying so hard to catch you so you can't just easoff for a bit, beacuse if you do they will get to you, and it they will, o boy o boy, they dive bomb you, the go wheel to wheel they even squeez you, they really battle you, and they can get desperate if the race is coming to its final laps and can overshoot the corner trying to dive bomb you or even when dive bombing lock their wheels and damage your floor or back diffuser or side pod (happend to me, hate ocon with sheer passion) and random failures that happen to you, it just make a whole new more stressed out and dramatic feel of the race, before 5 lights go of before every race you know that, your car can brake, your engine may blow up, and you know that this other AI drivers won't let you have easy race

• Agree 1

AI aggressiveness killing always my races.

I have no problem with their speed and that they are hunting and fighting with us.

But pushing you of the track on the straights, dive bomb like a maniac in unranked lobbies turn one, changing lines under braking, these things are stupid and annoying.

When AI vs AI battling they are always fair and let each other enough space, then against you...

Nope, AI: this is my line you are not supposed to be on my line, so I will drive through you, no matter what.

AI is dumb (blue flags, out lap in lap in practice or qualifying) and unfair aggressive (race) and that is killing all the competition.

The standard for racing game ai is not particularly high . Asseto Corsa comp ai don't even pit in during practice and qualifying sessions so just run the entire sessions on same tyres and start with full fuel for qualifying so yea. Pc2 ai change difficulty from session to session qualifying they blitz you by 4 second then rae you destroy them . Moto gp/ ride games are trying to get more human like ai it still raw but it on the Right track . So the ai in this game are the best there is imo and a huge step from 19 and 20 and personally I like the agression and wouldn't want to go back to previous versions.... 

• Agree 1

But the core experience is better ie better ai , slow down my team, two player career , player failures, more varied damage, better handling, getting 2 great tracks added .So when it in a fit state the game will be better than any thing previous. But yes the bugs are pretty big at minute... 

• Agree 1

I remember F1 2020 as not being perfect right out of the gate neither and having a few frustrations with it from the start. They eventually got resolved and the game was pretty good as you begin to forget about the niggly issues you had when you started.

I imagine the same will be true for this year.  Niggly start, then resolved so by the time the next one comes out in July 2022, you've forgot how irritating it was at the start of this iteration and you pre-order again to have the same buggy start.

Something does need to be done to improve the beta phase. Either elongate the beta phase (meaning there's less development time) or push back the release date (which isn't my preferred solution as I like it coming out around the British GP.)  But something needs to be done as it can't be the same every year without people from the fanbase drifting away. 

• Agree 1

People are sensitive these days. If they don't like one thing, they don't like everything, and then they get snippy and look for problems everywhere where there really aren't any.
Then people take the negative things out of it and base their opinion on that, instead of seeing the positive things as well.
And that doesn't just apply to F1 games, but pretty much every game.

All the tests for F1 2021 and the ratings of the major gaming platforms are mostly positive, but many people don't see that.

• Agree 1

I agree. I enjoy F1 2021 more than F1 2020. To me it's also more finished than F1 2020 from the start. I still remember A religious figure (who's name seems to be so provocative that it has to be censored) walking on water in Melbourne Park. Sure I have my gripe with lack of improvements in the mode that I play the most. The game has crashed on my PS4 Pro multiple times but overall it's the best F1 game experience I had so far. Codemaster F1 games improve each year and that in my book deserves praise.

That is my experience, I get that people that solely race online probably won't see the game improve year by year.

Edited by BelgiumDude
  • Agree 2

Sounds like it's the usual bad habit of where players are used to just squeeze the AI to take advantage or simply ignoring their existence and expect them to back out whenever you wanted them to. Respect the AI like you would respect a real driver and you'll have an absolute blast with this year's AI. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Said it in another thread, but the AI is one thing that is consistently praised by sim racers in the community. Even when labeling the franchise as arcadey sim, they still praise the AI behavior.

It's a shame that other key aspects of the game are such a mess and that we don't get as polished a experience out of the box as we justifiably expect. More even so when little details go unnoticed, like double stacking in the pits. Or like they getting the rake profile of the cars right this time:

20210724_134954.thumb.jpeg.22a52299df6aae328b691a55032ab3b9.jpeg

For those with more hours in the game, is the AI weaving in formation laps and behind safety cars back to the game?

• Agree 2
15 minutes ago, marioho said:

Said it in another thread, but the AI is one thing that is consistently praised by sim racers in the community. Even when labeling the franchise as arcadey sim, they still praise the AI behavior.

It's a shame that other key aspects of the game are such a mess and that we don't get as polished a experience out of the box as we justifiably expect. More even so when little details go unnoticed, like double stacking in the pits. Or like they getting the rake profile of the cars right this time:

20210724_134954.thumb.jpeg.22a52299df6aae328b691a55032ab3b9.jpeg

For those with more hours in the game, is the AI weaving in formation laps and behind safety cars back to the game?

They weave under safety car, but stop doing so the moment when the warning of SC is coming in is displayed, which is especially weird after seeing Max and Checo's double Red Bulls dancing passionately at a restart in Baku.

Edited by DRTApophis
2 minutes ago, marioho said:

@DRTApophis oh, Baku... To be fair though, the day we get an AI replicating what happened on that event we'll also have players left and right crying foul and shouting it's unrealistic.

Well nothing could ever satisfy everyone, but I'm sure the more they could replicate real life or events that had happen would at least make majority of the dedicated players happy 😁

• Like 1

I was scared the AI would have been overaggressive, in particular in correlation with the new damage model in which even a small touch from behind could destroy your race. I'm more than happy right now. No problems with 1 on 1 battles. There's still a lot a of work to do when multiple cars are fighting and in first laps.

They seem to be only aware of the car in front and the car behind. It leads to those weird moments where there are no overtaking opportunities, cars are following each other and an AI decides it's time to dive bomb 5 cars and hit 3 of them...

Edited by sirio994
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, sirio994 said:

I was scared the AI would have been overaggressive, in particular in correlation with the new damage model in which even a small touch from behind could destroy your race. I'm more than happy right now. No problems with 1 on 1 battles. There's still a lot a of work to do when multiple cars are fighting and in first laps.

They seem to be only aware of the car in front and the car behind. It leads to those weird moments where there no overtaking opportunity, cars are following each other and an AI decides it's time to dive bomb 5 cars and hit 3 of them...

This year's AI is already slightly more aggressive at making moves than last year, but they still follow that trend of "If I'm not much faster I won't make a move", which, since all AI behave and drive in very similar pace or even in identical fashion, they ends up just joining that train in front of them. 

At the same time they actually do have variants of behavior but could only commonly do it on players, because obviously humans could mixed up the situation for them to react in more ways, which is why players could felt the discrepancy in AI behavior between AI vs AI & AI vs player.

Theyve become more aggressive, yes, but still fair to me, i have shared corners, 3 wides and everyone left Alive. Of course, it isnt perfect, but also arent the players nor the drivers, so even their aggressiveness goes on the acceptable side.

On the other hand there are some silly situations but its still better than most other games. Its not perfect, but it is good to give a good race feel most of the time.

• Agree 1
7 hours ago, marioho said:

Yes AI are waving under VSC, SC, and formation lap, but idk how it is in other peoples game

• Like 1