Jump to content Jump to content

Is it time to split F1 game into two seperate series? F1 as it is and a F1 Simulator?

I recall last year reading somewhere that FIA wanted a proper simulator F1 game to be used for its growing F1 e-sports series. I think codies were mentioned as being asked to deliever it. I could be wrong.

However it got me thinking, we've got a split in the fanbase of the game. Some fans want new features ala braking point, classic cars, classic tracks. Others want the core gameplay fixed to be as realistic as possible. A fine balancing act for codies here between attracting the casual fan and keeping the diehards happy.

So what if the game was split in two seperate releases? The contractual yearly F1 release (codies have to release a F1 game every year) that experiements with new features such as braking point etc.

Then a once every two/three year simulator to be used by F1 e-sports. This concentrates on the core gameplay, the AI, tyre modelling ( i.e. blistering, operating temps, graining etc), temperature management for the car,  brakes etc. Also the online racing components so vital for e-sports.

Improvements from the simulator game could feed into improving the gameplay of the yearly F1 game releases.

It would require alot more resources to develop two games in parellel but it could be a seperate revenue stream for codies. Especially if the simulator is good and accurate enough to be used actual F1 teams (licenced out to them). FIA are trying to use homologisation where possible in F1 for cost cutting reasons. Teams using the same F1 simulator maybe a another way to save costs.

Just an idea. 

Edited by dino78
Spelling

agree splitting the community would not help the situation. i feel like then f1 games will become more of a money grab then and also many new people and current people could easily get confused as to what game is what

Considering that all the racing takes place on the same set of tracks, it makes sense to keep the entire package together.  It's simple enough for the hardcore racer to ignore the extra stuff and just go racing.  And it's equally easy for the lover of Braking Point and My Team to ignore the online racing if they so choose.

• Agree 1

This game needs splitting so that it can provide the two types of players with what they want , The game cannot be made into a simulation of Formula 1 as it would cost too much for the majority of players. The fear by the casual types of losing content is unfounded because the game could be virtually the same for both types of player. It just needs some bits tweaking and adding to a  more realistic version of the game and all the entertainment stuff removed from that version .God only knows why both versions of the game need to be together in one package there is no reason whatsoever.

You speak for yourself when you say that people can ignore stuff , can they , who says so ; you , personally I don't want to see all that stuff like pit pass shop every time I finish a race . It winds me up ; it shouldn't be there . Its the kind of thing that should be in a Zordix game about Jetski racing or whatever , I don't want to see it in a F1 game and there are plenty of other people that feel the same way. If you want it in a game have it in the version that you buy that has the online racing and TT content as well    , then let the edited version of the same game with some added stuff to make things more in depth and more faithful to F1 racing be bought by those that want to have a more serious product. Why people fear this happening is just bizarre , What is it a fear of losing control or of losing out.

• Disagree 2
On 7/25/2021 at 12:37 AM, Exasperated said:

This game needs splitting so that it can provide the two types of players with what they want , The game cannot be made into a simulation of Formula 1 as it would cost too much for the majority of players. The fear by the casual types of losing content is unfounded because the game could be virtually the same for both types of player. It just needs some bits tweaking and adding to a  more realistic version of the game and all the entertainment stuff removed from that version .God only knows why both versions of the game need to be together in one package there is no reason whatsoever.

You speak for yourself when you say that people can ignore stuff , can they , who says so ; you , personally I don't want to see all that stuff like pit pass shop every time I finish a race . It winds me up ; it shouldn't be there . Its the kind of thing that should be in a Zordix game about Jetski racing or whatever , I don't want to see it in a F1 game and there are plenty of other people that feel the same way. If you want it in a game have it in the version that you buy that has the online racing and TT content as well    , then let the edited version of the same game with some added stuff to make things more in depth and more faithful to F1 racing be bought by those that want to have a more serious product. Why people fear this happening is just bizarre , What is it a fear of losing control or of losing out.

what is your problem with podium pass or with breaking point? you can ignore it. codemasters will never split this game. they will add to the current game and thats a good thing.

On 7/24/2021 at 6:30 PM, Nightfire1964 said:

agree splitting the community would not help the situation. 

52 minutes ago, QuiteBitter said:

codemasters will never split this game. they will add to the current game and thats a good thing.

I guess you all missed what F1 said last year?

Codies won't have a choice in splitting it as Formula One's head of digital already said last year it was looking into making an official sim. They didn't mention what studio would do it, does not necessarily mean codies will get that licence for sim. But if they do, they will have to split it under orders from F1 if they choose to follow that plan.   HERES THE LINK

Edited by TomAAA
  • Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, TomAAA said:

I guess you all missed what F1 said last year?

Codies won't have a choice in splitting it as Formula One's head of digital already said last year it was looking into making an official sim. They didn't mention what studio would do it, does not necessarily mean codies will get that licence for sim. But if they do, they will have to split it under orders from F1 if they choose to follow that plan.   HERES THE LINK

you are talking about a different game then. codemasters can do what ever they can afford. if they want to make a hardcore sim f1 game that is not licensed thats ok. but i bet that we wont have two licensed f1 games.

Edited by QuiteBitter
10 minutes ago, QuiteBitter said:

you are talking about a different game then. codemasters can do what ever they can afford. if they want to make a hardcore sim f1 game that is not licensed thats ok. but i bet that we wont have two licensed f1 games.

F1 already signed last year a deal with another studio for an F1 management game. They dont mind giving the licence to different developers. If you read the article F1 are happy codemasters caters to the arcade/casual crowd, its literally what the head of F1 digital says. He also points out they see them as two different distinct markets. Read what he says, F1 are looking into making an officially licensed sim and also keeping an official game for casual accessible market. There will be 2 games in Future

Edited by TomAAA
45 minutes ago, TomAAA said:

F1 already signed last year a deal with another studio for an F1 management game. They dont mind giving the licence to different developers. If you read the article F1 are happy codemasters caters to the arcade/casual crowd, its literally what the head of F1 digital says. He also points out they see them as two different distinct markets. Read what he says, F1 are looking into making an officially licensed sim and also keeping an official game for casual accessible market. There will be 2 games in Future

mmh we will see. i hope its in the best interest of the community.

39 minutes ago, QuiteBitter said:

what is your problem with podium pass or with breaking point? you can ignore it. codemasters will never split this game. they will add to the current game and thats a good thing.

What's your problem with splitting the game? its irrational to not want the game to have two versions. You can sing your song " Never tear us apart " but as we all know ; it all usually ends in splitting up because of differences.  

Edited by Exasperated
Just now, QuiteBitter said:

mmh we will see. i hope its in the best interest of the community.

Sounds like you may lose control in the end. Never mind you managed to help ruin the game for a few years ; you should be proud of yourself.