Jump to content Jump to content

how many copies has dirt rally sold ?

dgeesi0

We all wish the numbers were better because then there's more chance of expansions, but it's already pretty good. And 1000 peak players isn't so unusual. That's peak per hour I think, so it would work out as everybody who owns it plays it for an hour every 4 to 5 days. But you're right, I would have expected the peak to be higher after new patch releases like RX. 
'Only' 142k copies might have been sold. But, if CM continue with their planned development arch then in a years fine there will still be at least 140k people playing. As mentioned above, this game is aimed at true rally fans and if CM keep providing the game we want then we'll keep playing it. I only get to play for about 1hr per week due to kids and other real life things but I can still see me playing for this amount in a years time of the development continues to go from strength to strength.
Malyngo said:
What makes you think that it will sell so exorbitantly well on consoles?
Isn't it that in the last years, PC game sales were on the rise, and have surpassed sales for console games?
Or did the release of XBone and PS4 reverse that trend?

console games dewarf most pc titles.sales wise.just market men tell you differently.

this on console would push 1-2million probably.on pc probably 200,000 realistically .

this is why games like bf now focus mainly on console then say they really on pc lol.

we actually been very lucky that codemasters have focused on pc. which is very refreshing.
According to steamspy DiRT 3 sales on PC are nearly a million, so a long way to go to get there. However, beating PC sales of F1 2015, despite less publicity, is no small feat, so that's rather impressive.
That's only part of the picture.
You see, SteamSpy works by going through the database of what games people have in their steam library.
If someone gets a refund on a game, then it's removed from their steam library and the 'sale' no longer exists. F1 2015 has certainly suffered from that. With such a tarnashed reputation (over 1000 steam reviews, mostly negative), it's going to need a major discount in a steam sale to really shift any units now.

For perspective though, despite only being on sale for about a week and a lot of people getting refunds, Batman: Arkham Knight is still sitting at about 3x more sales than DiRT Rally on steam.

Malyngo said:
@dgeesi0 
As you mention Battlefield:
PC is the platform with the most sales for that game.

As a single platform, but if you take the figures on that page and compare PC to console?

PC: 2,538,354
Console: 4,722,514

So sales for BF4 on consoles is nearly double PC sales.
Which is why games are mainly built around console tech and their limitations, then ported to PC.
BF is still quite popular on PC as well. With most multi-format games, the numbers are even more skewed in favour of consoles.

CoD Advanced Warfare? By January 2015 it had sold over 6 million on PS4 and 4 million on Xbox One.
And that's only physical discs, not digital sales via Xbox Live and Playstation Store.
Steam Spy figures for Advanced Warfare as of now? Just under 1 million
10% of what the XB1/PS4 physical sales were after just 2 months. 
Most financial analysts (those are not marketing people) expect PC sales to overtake console sales next year already (per platform sales, not total console sales). One recent example would be Witcher 3 which sold 30% on PC and 70% on consoles in total so far.

There are two main reasons why PC gaming is about to reach new heights (after it was declared dead a few years ago):

1. Performance per dollar:

The circumstances are completely different compared to the Xbox360/PS3 launch 10 years ago. Back then, the new consoles had enough power to compete with potent ~1500$ gaming rigs at launch and it took a few years until comparable PC performance was cheap enough.

Today, you can assemble a 700$ PC that can easily match the XBO/PS4's power and adding 300$ for a more high end graphic card would blow any console out of the water. 4k gaming has become real on PC already while some games on console cant even output 1080p with stable 60 fps. Furthermore, HDMI ports are now standard on PC's, it can be easily hooked up to a living room big screen TV and with a small form factor case it wouldnt be much bigger than a console. 

In addition to this, tech developement has slowed down significantly compared to ten years ago. A new CPU or GPU generation doesnt come with a 50% performance increase anymore, which means that a 3 -4 year old PC can still run most current games with medium to high graphic settings at a stable framerate. And in many current games with modern engines, the visual difference between medium and high/ultra settings can only be spotted by comparing screenshots or high quality videos but not while actually playing the game. This removes one of the main negative aspects when going for PC:  the need to upgrade your hardware every two years in order to maintain high quality visuals

2. Digital games sales:

Another big factor contributing to the current platform shift are generally cheaper games (including huge sales even a few weeks after release) on PC. Digital sales are steadily increasing and there's no competition on both consoles as digital buys can only be obtained through an online store which is ran by the console makers themselves (apart from independent key stores. but thats a minority). Both, Microsoft and Sony still make a small loss per console sold and their main income comes from game sales. Thats why they are very conservative about price drops, most digital game prices remain stable on console until there's a GOTY or classic edition being re-released. 
On PC, the digital market sees a much fiercer competition and a 30% price drop shortly after release is quite common nowadays, mind you, 30% discount on a price thats already 20% cheaper than on console. 

I did the switch back to PC gaming just a few months ago. I started as a PC gamer about 25 years back and then switched over to xbox in 2001. I went through all 3 generations before i decided to return to PC due to the disappointment of the new generation. I didnt regret it at all, for me its the platform of the future and i'm not even sure if we will see another generation of Xbox and PS. Especially in MS case i'm 99% sure that this is the last console from them, due to their new firm wide SAAS strategy (software as a service).

And in regards to potential DR sales on consoles: I strongly doubt that DR will even reach 500k sales on both consoles combined. Someone in this thread predicted 1-2 mio sales which would be comparable to PCars sales, and their package is much more attractive to console gamers than the hardcore/barebones experience which is offered by DR (i'm talking about content, not necessarily quality). The rather low number of stages/locations and cars would put off many casual type gamers, and this type of gamer still makes up most of the console market. And the casual market is all about the features list. 

Even on PC i doubt that it will reach more than twice of the current user base once its released. As already mentioned somewhere in here, its a dream that came true for many hardcore rally fans and most who were craving for such a game bought it already, even though its early access. 
I think there is also the age factor too.  COD and Batman, etc are typically played by the under 25 crowd ( more weight to teens).   Similare with DiRT 2&3, the gameplay and interface is really designed for a younger audience.  

DiRT Rally, over all I think is designed for a more mature audience say 20-35 group.  This group it working, possibly married with kids, time playing is limited, but $$ is there to spend on wheels and pc hardware.

A consol port will increase sales for sure but I don't think it will eclipse the pc version like COD/Batman games do.

this is all my perception of those that post here in this forum.
gfRally said:
I think there is also the age factor too.  COD and Batman, etc are typically played by the under 25 crowd ( more weight to teens).   Similare with DiRT 2&3, the gameplay and interface is really designed for a younger audience.  

DiRT Rally, over all I think is designed for a more mature audience say 20-35 group.  This group it working, possibly married with kids, time playing is limited, but $$ is there to spend on wheels and pc hardware.

A consol port will increase sales for sure but I don't think it will eclipse the pc version like COD/Batman games do.

This forum is a pretty damn small sample and with DiRT Rally being PC only for now, that's skewed even more. ;)
The F1 2015 forums on the other hand....
The average gamer these days is about 30, like me!
Which includes the likes playing Batman, etc.
A bunch of the Codies devs themselves have formed a pretty dedicated Destiny team that's regularly playing a year after release (hi @Hatward ), and MGS 5 has gotten a lot of playtime recently.
Finland is the first and only thing that took me out of MGS 5 since September 1st! 

I got a new PC in 2013 to help with making videos, since my previous desktop dated to 2003 and simply didn't have the grunt to render HD.
Even long 480p videos would take over 4 hours. It was slower than my 09 laptop, lol.
Gaming wasn't really the plan, but when I decided to see how Skyrim would run, well, easily 60fps, mods... suddenly PC gaming was more than viable to play almost any 360/PS3 era game at 1080/60
A £600 GPU in 2014 and it's pretty much able to run any decently ported XB1/PS4 game maxed, or close, at 1080/60

Still intend to get the consoles though. Gaming is too large a part of my life and there are now just about enough quality exclusives to justify it.

gfRally said:

the console version will sell ten times what a pc version will.as it has previously.

console games sell more than pc titles 99.9 percent of the time.marketing people will tell you whatever you want to here. there are obviously a few egs where pc titles sell more. thats a given but overall release a big trebble aaa title on pc then release it on the modern consoles you already know consoles will sell alot more.

i used to sell games for a living.for many many years ;)
  • 6 months later...
Since there are already some sales number for the first 5 days of Dirt Rally on consoles, I felt like updating this thread for console copies' sales.

UK - PS4: 15,932 copies
UK - XBO: 11,780 copies
Source:(See 2nd and 3rd position) http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/42470/UK/

USA - PS4: 10,787 copies
USA - XBO: 10,535 copies
Source:(See 24th and 26th position) http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/42470/USA/

These numbers are estimates like in SteamSpy so they aren't entirely accurate but still give an idea of what the game sold.
dgeesi0 said:
pc roughly 300,000 so steam stats says.    B)
So far we could be looking at more or less 350,000 in total sales. :)
Though Vgchartz is yet to release all of Europe's sales numbers for the same period, which is a few days away.
Im predicting this will hit 2 million sales on console, ive never seen a racing game received so well, ive heard initial sales have been very very good.

And Console sales is where the money is.

Archived