Jump to content Jump to content

There are only three practice programmes?

Into FP3 of my first career mode race in Bahrain in the Red Bull, playing on 100% practice/race length and there are only 3 practice programmes available every practice session: race sim, track acclimatisation and tyre management. Is my game bugged or Is there just no qualifying simulation or other programmes in this years game?

Yes, those do exist, but you get a semi-random selection of 3 programme's every race.

Race Strategy is always there it seems.

I actually like it, it's more streamlined. The thing that took a major step back, is the menu where you pick R&D. That's the worst user experience I've ever seen.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

The Practice Programs rotate except for race strategy. If I don’t have a Qualifying Sim I just empty my fuel tank so there 3.5-4 laps worth of fuel and put on some Softs and do a regular run on Standard fuel and Hotlap ERS.

37 minutes ago, Evil Tactician said:

Yes, those do exist, but you get a semi-random selection of 3 programme's every race.

Race Strategy is always there it seems.

I actually like it, it's more streamlined. The thing that took a major step back, is the menu where you pick R&D. That's the worst user experience I've ever seen.

The new R&D menu is just atrocious, the worst thing about it is that the upgrade paths are actually the same as last year's tree, except now it's presented in an infinitely worse fashion that's unclear and confusing to the eyes. It's just a blanket that pretends it's something new yet it isn't.  

• Thanks 3
  • Agree 3
1 minute ago, DRTApophis said:

The new R&D menu is just atrocious, the worst thing about it is that the upgrade paths are actually the same as last year's tree, except now it's presented in an infinitely worse fashion that's unclear and confusing to the eyes. It's just a blanket that pretends it's something new yet it isn't.  

Cannot agree more with this.  It wasn't exactly like it was broken in the first place but they've basically kept the same thing in a different aesthetic so they even realised that the actual tree model was working. 

It's basically a change for the sake of changing something. 

• Agree 5

Too many things cut just for the sake of it. Training is a good example. OP mentions only 3 of them are available at any track now, instead of the 6 we had before. But more than that, all telemetry results post-practice are just gone. Want to know what you tyre usage was like during race SIM? Which corners you lost time at during quali SIM? How bad each lap affected your tyres and where? Nope, all gone. Practice programs now serve to purpose at all other than getting discounts on parts, they no longer actually help you get better times or understand why you got bad ones.

This is an example among many that this game does in order to streamline or simplify stuff that was already simple enough, and now we're actually lacking information. The tree is another good example, for R&D. What was wrong with the tree? How does half my parts being cryptically "unavailable" until I upgrade something in another tab clearer than just seeing the unlock tree directly, so you can plan ahead where you'll focus? Like, who thought about these changes before implementing them? How are they any better after they changed?

Edited by v12vanquish135
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 6
1 hour ago, v12vanquish135 said:

Too many things cut just for the sake of it. Training is a good example. OP mentions only 3 of them are available at any track now, instead of the 6 we had before. But more than that, all telemetry results post-practice are just gone. Want to know what you tyre usage was like during race SIM? Which corners you lost time at during quali SIM? How bad each lap affected your tyres and where? Nope, all gone. Practice programs now serve to purpose at all other than getting discounts on parts, they no longer actually help you get better times or understand why you got bad ones.

This is an example among many that this game does in order to streamline or simplify stuff that was already simple enough, and now we're actually lacking information. The tree is another good example, for R&D. What was wrong with the tree? How does half my parts being cryptically "unavailable" until I upgrade something in another tab clearer than just seeing the unlock tree directly, so you can plan ahead where you'll focus? Like, who thought about these changes before implementing them? How are they any better after they changed?

yeah i mentioned this another post too i miss all the info from the race strat. especially being able to compare between compounds, its almost as if its been 'dumbed down'

• Agree 2
15 hours ago, dino78 said:

We need last years R&D tree back, agree this years is utterly awful.

Nope; we don't need the old one back, we need a new one. Make them work. I do like how the menu looks but how it works is beyond me. It would make way more sense if the selection menu for the branches was horizontally instead of vertically.

By the way: where are the graphics/ analytics after your succeed race Programm? I miss them. I liked to look at the diagramm. And does the race Programm still influence the race strategy? I haven't seen any choice between standard strategy or personal strategy. Is this gone too?

• Agree 3

The bonus objectives also need to go from the race strategy program or we need a set that make sense. At least that ridiculous tyre wear objective needs to go because it's impossible to do by driving normally but your absurdly low tyre wear and fuel consuption during that lap does go into the strategy calculations, messing up everything and making it pretty much impossible to properly plan your strategy. Even the default strategy gets messed up.

• Agree 1
2 hours ago, GnrDreagon said:

The bonus objectives also need to go from the race strategy program or we need a set that make sense. At least that ridiculous tyre wear objective needs to go because it's impossible to do by driving normally but your absurdly low tyre wear and fuel consuption during that lap does go into the strategy calculations, messing up everything and making it pretty much impossible to properly plan your strategy. Even the default strategy gets messed up.

Hmm.. I have made the fuel management Programm in 2 Player career and race Programm and had not problem in race. I just saw no difference in strategy menu which confused me. Normally I was able to choose between standard strategy and personal strategy when I made the race Programm in practise. 

6 hours ago, DonBlanko said:

Hmm.. I have made the fuel management Programm in 2 Player career and race Programm and had not problem in race. I just saw no difference in strategy menu which confused me. Normally I was able to choose between standard strategy and personal strategy when I made the race Programm in practise. 

The problem I had was that I had to do a below average tyre wear bonus objective during the race strategy program. And this was almost impossible. The only way I could do it was go out on hard tyres, with lean engine mode, and driving very carefully. Obviously I didn't beat the target time but the bonus objective did count as completed. So after that I cancelled the program and restarted it to get some proper laps in for the strategy. But when I started the race 1: the recommended personalized strategy was a medium/soft one stop even though in grand prix mode the game recommends M/M/H as a strategy so clearly something was wrong with the tyre wear. And the default strategy was medium to hard. But the big issue was fuel. I added 2 laps extra fuel in the car but after 8 laps I already was over lap down on the target. While in grand prix mode with a similar car everything works as you would expect without any fuel issues.

• Agree 1

My tip would be this: use FP1 to clear all three practice programs as good as you can on one go, then fast forward to the end (don't skip, like that you get to go back to the computer), select quick practice for FP2 and just clear the 1/2/3 things left you couldn't do. So if Race Sim gives you tyre wear, don't sweat, just clear it in quick practice in FP2. It doesn't use much of your component wear when you only have a few to do.

Why can't we have an option before each practice session what we aim to work on, for instance I want to focus on race pace FP1, quali sim FP2 and fuel and tyre management FP3?  With other possible options as well.  If you ignore race pace in all practice sessions you receive a hit on strategy accuracy, if you ignore quali sim in all practice sessions maybe you get penalized with a higher chance of engine issues etc.

Not ideal but the overall concept might work?  There is endless potential to give this game way more depth...

In my team I'm supposed to run all facets of my team but I'm basically just a glorified driver.  We need upgrades to our pit team, meteorologist that predicts weather etc.  They should really have a look at WRC 9 etc.  In those games you actually feel like you are managing a team.

• Agree 1

Codemasters explained fully why the streamlined the practice sessions as they had a lot of complaints about it in past yet I think last years practice far better than this years and the quick practice option is just a laugh, do that with AI doing it and you burn through parts like no tomorrow. I understand why they done this but they set it way to far punishing people who just want to race or don’t have time for practices. They made a option in the game virtually unplayable by setting part wear way to high.

It didn’t need streamlining! They should be adding more depth every year not taking it away!!!

If they really think this was a good idea they have no idea what their core playerbase actually wants from what i can see.

If they want to appeal to new/younger audience they could add streamline OPTIONS, but they really shouldn’t be removing depth from the game in my view.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
1 hour ago, kalamazoo123 said:

It didn’t need streamlining! They should be adding more depth every year not taking it away!!!

If they really think this was a good idea they have no idea what their core playerbase actually wants from what i can see.

If they want to appeal to new/younger audience they could add streamline OPTIONS, but they really shouldn’t be removing depth from the game in my view.

As long as they kept the data board for race simulation I'm fine with it, which they didn't so I'm indeed quite upset (or did I just missed it?). 

They should also just combined the fuel and tire wear simulation with race strategy simulation if they really wanted to streamline the system. Make Jeff to tell you to run with different variants of pace during the race simulation to complete those challenges and data collections. That would also justified the reason to run the full 5 laps program instead of just 3 laps, hardcore players would also be benefited by that because of more precise data on the strategies. 

Also let Jeff to recommend you to use different tires (in random fashion) for the each programs instead of the same presets every single time. We can already make our own decision now, but I think it would be more immersive if you engineer tries to tell you what different data the team wants to collect every race. 

Edited by DRTApophis
  • Agree 1
15 hours ago, GnrDreagon said:

The problem I had was that I had to do a below average tyre wear bonus objective during the race strategy program. And this was almost impossible. The only way I could do it was go out on hard tyres, with lean engine mode, and driving very carefully. Obviously I didn't beat the target time but the bonus objective did count as completed.

Been having the same problem, it didn't occur to me that I could get the bonus without using the tires it recommends for me and without hitting the target time. That's so silly haha!

17 hours ago, DRTApophis said:

As long as they kept the data board for race simulation I'm fine with it, which they didn't so I'm indeed quite upset (or did I just missed it?). 

They should also just combined the fuel and tire wear simulation with race strategy simulation if they really wanted to streamline the system. Make Jeff to tell you to run with different variants of pace during the race simulation to complete those challenges and data collections. That would also justified the reason to run the full 5 laps program instead of just 3 laps, hardcore players would also be benefited by that because of more precise data on the strategies. 

Also let Jeff to recommend you to use different tires (in random fashion) for the each programs instead of the same presets every single time. We can already make our own decision now, but I think it would be more immersive if you engineer tries to tell you what different data the team wants to collect every race. 

These are some great suggestions.

My biggest complaint at the moment with the career modes are how detached you feel from the rest of the league and even worse how detached you are from your teammate.  Why not have you engineer tell you your teammate is faster in a specific sector and suggest a setup change to counter this.

You should be able to see your teammates strategy for the race and be advised by your team what they want you to do strategy-wise with regard to what your teammate is doing.  Or just let us be able to change our teammates strategy.

We currently have a F1 game where you are a loneranger, with no impression that you are part of a bigger team not to mention a bigger league.  There is little to no immersion...how cool would a rumor mill be for driver transfers, news on what is happening in the league and championship races.  News on records drivers might break in the next GP etc.  I 100% realize to mimic the glamour and hype surrounding the sport and the different GPs is difficult but there is no attempt at the moment.  We need pre-season testing, with advantages and disadvantages at your performances with key decisions that will heavily impact your season.

We also need higher tyre degradation and a bigger loss in downforce when following another driver.  These things work on parameters and it shouldn't be that big of a change to at least make it an option.  Tyre degradation slow/casual/realistic, Dirty air effect minor/casual/realistic.

At the moment I hardly flinch if my tyres are at 50% + wear as the impact is minimal.  If they increase wear it also opens the door for drivers like Perez to be represented more realistic if they make him manage his tyres better.

Anyways, we'll never get any of this...just dreaming.

Edited by R9NALD09
  • Agree 3