Jump to content Jump to content

Tyres management

On 7/25/2021 at 1:42 PM, Neomo said:

Never had problem with overheating or cold tyres

overheating no, but cold tyres under very very slow SC and slippery conditions (light rain but still on dry tyres, especially with hard ones...)

Maybe i had a bug or something, but i tried to accelerate and brake at the same time to get some temperature but no chance they were and stayed at 68°C after restart I had no chance...

21 hours ago, DonBlanko said:

Por cierto: ¿No tenemos la opción de elegir los neumáticos que desea usar en un GP antes de que comience el GP? En el modo carrera puedo ver qué neumáticos puedo usar durante todo el fin de semana, pero ya no tengo posibilidad de cambiarlos aquí. Recuerdo que era posible allí en F1 2020/19, justo antes de comenzar el GP de la general. ¿A dónde se fue esta opción? No quiero tener un medio todo el tiempo en la clasificación. 

I hope they fix that because if it's annoying to do 2 free practices with only soft ones. 

1 hour ago, DAVB12 said:

I hope they fix that because if it's annoying to do 2 free practices with only soft ones. 

Its not broken, FIA has fixed tyre allocation, as it is in the game.

23 hours ago, Hichel18 said:

Its fixed in real f1 now, so it is in the game

1 hour ago, Hichel18 said:

Its not broken, FIA has fixed tyre allocation, as it is in the game.

You're right. This rule was made in times of corona I remember. But is the given tire choice similiar to real life? I don't have the feeling that the teams use that much softs in practise. 

Its two hards, three mediums and eight softs giving 13 sets to the tyre allocation nowadays. I dont know if they are hard fixed in real f1 when you dont use two compounds, but how they distributes the tyres might be the reason. 10 lap soft tyre might be worned out more than a hard with 15 used in p1, carrying to p2 for more usage

On 7/26/2021 at 3:49 PM, AlexTT said:

If behind a safety car, warming the tyres is the easiest thing to do. Just spin the rears, and completely lock up the fronts, within 2 seconds your in the range without having to weave. 

no flatspots, nothing😂 funny also is they seem to wear just as hard behind the safety car as a normal round. Percentages look calculated per lap then how you (ab)use them.

Percentages are definitely not calculated per lap as there can be big differences between drivers and a few days ago I did like 3 laps behind the sc on softs for 0% wear… just driving like I was balancing a cup of tea on my helmet. 

you are right however that abusing the tires should be way more punishing. And keeping your tires healthy should be as important as keeping the front wing healthy. 

Edited by Bicarda
  • 2 weeks later...

Have to admit being a controller user:  and lacking any kind off finesse in my hands... to the point I’d go through PS4 controllers every 6 months.. always break the left stick.  I grew up with Stone Age  joysticks and brute force was needed to move onscreen characters.   Anyway after getting the right hump with my front tires overheating at any track with mid fast left rights sections.  Until I got a few tyre upgrades..

Tyre mechanics in this years game have made a old man very happy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 1 month later...

Is anyone else having any issues switching on the medium tyre? In a race I have no grip and so much understeer. Soft is fine and even hard is ok but the medium I have no confidence in the car, it is costing me so much time. Temps seem fine but it is super frustrating.

On 7/25/2021 at 5:51 PM, dino78 said:

The only i have noticed is tyre temps drop right off during safety car period unless you aggressively keep them warm. Especially with the Hards, they drop to 70c and when the safety car period is over your a sitting duck.

Lack of marbles on the track as a GP progresses is something that i would like to see fixed.

I generally . Just follow the sc until the 3td lap then do it like a formation lap . It bears sitting there for 3 laps trying to keep the tyres in correct window . 

The tires shouldn’t be hard fixed for what you have to use, going into qualifying with 3 softs and 1 medium is wrong, that means for a midfield team they’ve only got 3 softs to try get into Q3. The tire selection should be open to use how you want through the weekend.

• Agree 2

I'm on my first My Team season and just had my first wet race of the season in Singapore. The race started dry and became wet enough that everyone pitted for Inters, so I did too. Within 2 laps my front tyres completely overheated and all grip was gone. I was doing well in the race up until then, 8th pace.

Ended up having to pit again, dropped to last place 😞

When I put the next set of inters on i moved the brake bias back a bit and started breaking earlier and then it seemed to be OK, no more overheating. I was just massively surprised by how easily and quickly the 1st set of inters overheated.

any tips on preventing the overheating that way?

6 minutes ago, marioho said:

Tyres overheat when they're overworked @mosmo88. Can you share the rest of your setup?

I had 11 front & rear wing

Diff was 74 on, 60 off

Camber -2.8 front, -1.8 rear

Toe 0.07 front. 0.20 rear

Suspension 1 & 5, anti roll bar 1 & 5. Ride height 3 & 8.

Brakes were at 100% pressure which I run with no problem during all dry races, no brake assist or abs on. Bias was 57% when I had issues with the inters and when I switched to 56% it got slightly better.

Tyre pressures were 23.4 front and 22.7 rear.

I wonder if i just needed to brake much earlier than I was initially doing on the 1st set of inters. Perhaps locking up was overheating the tyres. Any tips would be appreciated for wet driving.

@mosmo88 your setup seems ok, nothing out of ordinary. Inters and wet tyres can overheat and get chewed up rather easily if the track isn't wet enough, that's one thing to bear in mind. And Singapore is quite the track to overwork the front tyres by trying to brake and turn simultaneously, being a street circuit and all.

With the info at than I can only think that was indeed your approach to cornering, as you said it got better once you moved the brake bias towards the rear and started braking earlier. Locking up + understeer is the perfect combo for tyre wear.

For general tips on driving on the wet, you can do no wrong following PJ's advice:

• Agree 1
7 hours ago, mosmo88 said:

I had 11 front & rear wing

Diff was 74 on, 60 off

Camber -2.8 front, -1.8 rear

Toe 0.07 front. 0.20 rear

Suspension 1 & 5, anti roll bar 1 & 5. Ride height 3 & 8.

Brakes were at 100% pressure which I run with no problem during all dry races, no brake assist or abs on. Bias was 57% when I had issues with the inters and when I switched to 56% it got slightly better.

Tyre pressures were 23.4 front and 22.7 rear.

I wonder if i just needed to brake much earlier than I was initially doing on the 1st set of inters. Perhaps locking up was overheating the tyres. Any tips would be appreciated for wet driving.

Personally I’d decrease brake pressure.. I also bring bias back... also double brake (manual abs) into hard braking zones...  make sure your well off the throttle and let revs drop before braking.  

Edited by ScaredDuck

Damn, read it twice and did not spot the brake bias. Just what @ScaredDuck said, that would be too front biased of a distribution for me personally on a track like Singapore, and very likely too much for the front for anyone to deal with on the consistently on the wet.

• Haha 1
7 minutes ago, marioho said:

Damn, read it twice and did not spot the brake bias. Just what @ScaredDuck said, that would be too front biased of a distribution for me personally on a track like Singapore, and very likely too much for the front for anyone to deal with on the consistently on the wet.

I actually thought you had... was what compelled me to post😁

Thanks for the tips guys. I think I'll try a wet race in Singapore on grand prix mode and practice some laps with the brake bias further back and earlier braking and see if I can manage the tyres better. Hopefully I'll be more prepared next time a wet race comes around in my team

On 7/25/2021 at 5:51 PM, dino78 said:

The only i have noticed is tyre temps drop right off during safety car period unless you aggressively keep them warm. Especially with the Hards, they drop to 70c and when the safety car period is over your a sitting duck.

Lack of marbles on the track as a GP progresses is something that i would like to see fixed.

I haven't had a sc yet on this game . . Upto Montreal first season 

But what I generally do . To save on tyre wear is just follow the sc for 2 laps with out warming tyres then 3td lap . Do it like a formation lap . It saves tyre wear . And also your not driving 3 laps trying to keep the heat in tyres .