Jump to content Jump to content

Smoke should only appear for engine failures

Smoke should only appear if there is going to be an eminent engine failure. My ICE is at 80% And I started a race with my car belching smoke. That’s not realistic whatsoever and is silly.

• Like 1
  • Disagree 1

Why isn't it realistic? You thought your engine still had some life in it but as soon as it got turned up for the race it turned out you were wrong. Sounds like plenty of F1 engine failures I have heard of over the years.

If you think it's silly, there's always the options to turn off mechanical failures.

There can be some occasional spurts of smoke in real life from engines that aren't about to go kaput.

For example, I was at Silverstone last week and Ricciardo's engine was producing smoke for a fair few laps and I didn't think it was going to last much longer and yet he finished the race without issue.   It wasn't exactly a massive plume, but it was noticeable. 

I’m still going and doing full length GP with an engine at 80%. If codemasters doesn’t want that to be a possibility then don’t. No team in their right mind would run a car smoking so hard. It’s not even realistic because a lap later the engine would blow. But in this game I can just keep lapping. 

On 7/26/2021 at 11:27 AM, diderooy said:

Why isn't it realistic? You thought your engine still had some life in it but as soon as it got turned up for the race it turned out you were wrong. Sounds like plenty of F1 engine failures I have heard of over the years.

If you think it's silly, there's always the options to turn off mechanical failures.

His point is that it doesn't always blow smoke without something failing. Intermittent smoke wouldn't be an issue but it smoking for the whole race is the problem.

3 hours ago, whitmarsh2 said:

His point is that it doesn't always blow smoke without something failing. Intermittent smoke wouldn't be an issue but it smoking for the whole race is the problem.

Ah, okay--yeah, I did misread that. If he's talking about smoking for the duration, then yeah, I retract my statement (though I'll leave it up for context and to own it 😕).

• Agree 1