Jump to content Jump to content

I simply can't take much more of this

I am at the point where I'm considering getting a refund.

The game is so unenjoyable. In fact, it's miserable to play. 

On PC, loading up 'press any key to start' nothing works. It freezes. You can't tab out. You have to restart the PC. 

'Connecting to online services' lasts ages before you can click anything. 

When you press 'go to track - flying lap' the game freezes at the point that the lights go out then it steers you into the wall.

The My Team car is a misery to drive. Even with upgrades, it understeers, oversteers, spins around. 

Online is unplayable. You can't connect to a lobby. If you do, you have to sit through other people's races until they finish. Then it crashes. 

The kerbs. 

The penalty system. If you spin and the AI ram into you, YOU get a penalty. They don't just hit you once though, the hit you over and over. I just spun in Monaco and the same car rammed me three times whilst I tried to face the correct way and I got a 15 second penalty. I caused quite the pile up. Which leads me onto...

Safety car. Where is it? No idea. Doesn't exist - even on increased. 

I have bought and played every single F1 game since 2015 and this is the worst of the lot. The game is incomplete and should never have been released in this unfit state. 

• Agree 6

Agree with pretty much everything you say, and you haven’t even mentioned the fact that nothing has been added (except Eastenders story mode for 3 year olds) since last years game - not even the actual tracks that are being raced on this year or the actual car performance this year.

It’s unenjoyable and a waste of money this year.

• Agree 2
13 minutes ago, kalamazoo123 said:

[...]

Actually I enjoy the handling of the cars. Once you get used to not use the curbs this year and the amount of understeer, the car itself drives very nicely. But the amount of bugs in the game is horrible, the design / menus are often a step backwards.. But the biggest complaint is the lack of information and communication from codemasters. Why was the damage model reduced? When is a patch expected? Just tell us! Even if it's bad news, we could be mad at them and do whatever we want, but not knowing is just the worst option.

• Agree 3

You ever driven an open wheeled car over a high kerb? Spinning would be the least of your worries... sore back.... brings back memories of my karting days and running over kerbs ouch.🤣

Edited by KittyFit90
35 minutes ago, kalamazoo123 said:

Agree with pretty much everything you say, and you haven’t even mentioned the fact that nothing has been added (except Eastenders story mode for 3 year olds) since last years game - not even the actual tracks that are being raced on this year or the actual car performance this year.

HA! I forgot the story mode even existed! I will never be touching that.

And yes! Three missing tracks and a calendar that doesn't represent the real F1 season.

Just now, Ultra3142 said:

It amazes me how many people doggedly persevere with buggy game modes like online is currently, rather than just ignoring it for a while until performance is improved.

It is basically the only mode that is from interest for me. I don't play career (as the car performance and handling is different and it's boring after a while) or offline modes, as I am entirely focused on league racing.. 🤷‍♂️

1 minute ago, Oesi345 said:

It is basically the only mode that is from interest for me. I don't play career (as the car performance and handling is different and it's boring after a while) or offline modes, as I am entirely focused on league racing.. 🤷‍♂️

Is GP mode any use? I realise I'm not sure if you can use the equivalent of the multiplayer car or not. Last year it was the Mercedes but I don't believe we know in the current game.

Just now, Ultra3142 said:

Is GP mode any use? I realise I'm not sure if you can use the equivalent of the multiplayer car or not. Last year it was the Mercedes but I don't believe we know in the current game.

It is probably, and sometimes I use it, but only to train my race (as I put the AI to 80 or something and they don't bother me). But I don't wanna race against AI, I wanna train and race with my friends and league mates.. but multiplayer is so tiresome, after 2 to 3 races each lobby crashes.. our test races are full of bugs.. I think we have to wait and pray that the patch is gonna come soon.

Bit harsh to say nothing has been added . Yes story mode is just a waste of hard drive space and should of been a lot better not just a linear, scripted scenario event with dull characters and predictable story. But the ability to slow down my team progression, better more racey, accident prone ai , player failures, getting imola and Algarve ... So although I don't play online so can't comment on the state of that the single player side when patched and up to standard will be the best of the lot . Still annoyed no classic cars but not accurate to say nothing has been added ....  Also 2 Player career mode so it is a improvement a buggy one at the minute but still a upgrade or will be .......

Edited by Naxlr

The car handling part, to be honest, it's all on you.

Just like how Denial struggled to unlearn what he used to do in the Renault and adapt to the new McLaren, it's all part of the experience. Sim racers or even just sim-cade like this F1 series are always difficult to learn from the beginning, they're the Dark Souls equivalent to ARPG in racing games. Once you've gotten used to the physics it became a second nature and an absolute blast to drive, that, no arcade racers with their one-dimension physics would ever achieve.

Though, I won't defend the part where the game indeed had so little actual new contents (and the fact that they even stripped some from the last game), or that terrible multiplayer performance...I'll just avoid it like a plague for now. 

Edited by DRTApophis
  • Agree 2

I agree with a lot - not all - of this. I can't agree about your bug complaints because I play Ps4 with a wheel and have had no issues.

But on the content side, yes, I agree entirely. And I would add another: The AI is borked. Broken. Ridiculous.

They are in the first instance too fast. Absurdly too fast. Like sub one minute at Austria too fast. They have absurd pace through high speed corners - the kind of speed no human driver can replicate.

But you can account for that by lowering the difficulty. The biggest issue is how inconsistent the AI are: Absurdly fast at places like Silverstone and Spa, but not hugely challenging at Hungary, for example. It makes setting the difficulty for a career mode a complete lottery. It is game breaking and immersion breaking. The AI's on-track behaviour - their fighting and so on - is good. But their raw speed and performance is absurd. 

It honestly feels to me as if this game got ZERO play testing before release.

• Agree 1
26 minutes ago, Bicarda said:

I think you're right bud. It always feels like there's literally no one at codemasters trying out their own games. 

Although i disagree with you that the consistency of the bot train is the biggest issue, Seeing as a working multiplayer is the best fix for an inconsistent bot train, and online has an awful lot of issues still. 
They should fix ranked and online in general so people don't need to play with the bot train. As well as add development and engine/gearbox wear and replacements to league mode. 

Racing is made to be done with people, and racing against bots is always going to feel sub-optimal. whether said bot is called lewis hamilton or not. 

Yeah some of us live in rural areas with inconsistent broadband though, so the bot train is the best we can do. I can't blame codies for my Government's slow rollout of decent internet services, much as I'd like to.

• Haha 2
29 minutes ago, Bicarda said:

Racing is made to be done with people, and racing against bots is always going to feel sub-optimal. whether said bot is called lewis hamilton or not. 

This very much depends on whether the human drivers are going to try to drive sensibly or not. There are plenty of online lobbies where AI cars would be preferable to many drivers. I'll also add that personally I've been impressed by the AI performance in F1 2021 so far, from the perspective of how they race each other and me. 

The comment above about AI inconsistency between tracks being more important than their outright speed is bang on for me. This may in part turn out to be linked to the cornering speed issue which is being looked into, and perhaps a solution to this will also help reduce variability between tracks.

Edited by Ultra3142
  • Agree 2
1 hour ago, Ultra3142 said:

This very much depends on whether the human drivers are going to try to drive sensibly or not. There are plenty of online lobbies where AI cars would be preferable to many drivers. I'll also add that personally I've been impressed by the AI performance in F1 2021 so far, from the perspective of how they race each other and me. 

The comment above about AI inconsistency between tracks being more important than their outright speed is bang on for me. This may in part turn out to be linked to the cornering speed issue which is being looked into, and perhaps a solution to this will also help reduce variability between tracks.

The AI are only truly broken on a few corners in the whole calendar, which as you've said, they're being look at and I assume it will probably be fixed in the next major patch. For inconsistency on AI performance, we need to account the players' ability too, it's not like everyone is master at every track.

In my cases and experiences from 2020, sometimes I thought I was fast on a certain track and felt the AI was broken (because I assumed myself was very consistent and didn't seem like I was going too slowly). but then after watching how other human players did it then I realized I've been doing it all wrong, and then when I replicated the proper way to do it, the AI are not that much of a threat anymore. 

Edited by DRTApophis
  • Agree 1
6 hours ago, Bauer said:

HA! I forgot the story mode even existed! I will never be touching that.

And yes! Three missing tracks and a calendar that doesn't represent the real F1 season.

Yet codemasters have consistently explained why the new tracks are missing because they need to go to the tracks and take detailed photos of every inch of the track to be able to recreate it. Because of COVID they been unable to to that so cannot recreate the tracks good enough so should be given the benefit of the doubt cause of this.

do think though yet getting rid of classic cars to concentrate on main game only to do braking point that people may touch 2 or 3 times in a year instead of fixing glitches/ bugs Is ridiculous.

19 minutes ago, DRTApophis said:

For inconsistency on AI performance, we need to account the players' ability too, it's not like everyone is master at every track

This is so true! Every year we have threads about AI are too quick at track A, or too slow at track B. They never match my experience and therefore must be different player by player, and therefore down to individual player skill (or lack of) at various tracks.

Perfect example above - someone said they are too quick at Silverstone but easy on Hungary this year. I am currently experiencing the exact opposite - i found them relatively  easy at Silverstone, but am struggling against my team mate at the same level at Hungary.

27 minutes ago, Bicarda said:

But there's so many things just "broken" and "not working" online that I would say are more important fish to fry.

I wasn't suggesting that the current state of multiplayer wasn't a higher priority than AI cornering speeds but we know both are being worked on.

If we're talking prioritisation then the issue causing XBOX consoles to switch themselves off is probably number 1.

9 minutes ago, kalamazoo123 said:

This is so true! Every year we have threads about AI are too quick at track A, or too slow at track B. They never match my experience and therefore must be different player by player, and therefore down to individual player skill (or lack of) at various tracks.

Perfect example above - someone said they are too quick at Silverstone but easy on Hungary this year. I am currently experiencing the exact opposite - i found them relatively  easy at Silverstone, but am struggling against my team mate at the same level at Hungary.

Driving these F1 really is all about optimizing everything.

I remember struggling on tracks like Singapore and Australia, feeling no matter how much I tried to late brake with hard downshift trying to carry as much speed while turning in as much as I could yet it still didn't get me anywhere. Then I saw how people kept one gear higher going through those corners that I struggled the most, and then just like that, bam, nearly a second faster per lap (and still improving with every run afterward, gaining consistency in the process). 

Edited by DRTApophis
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

I play on a PS5 and I have seen the safety car numerous times in only a few races. I follow the safety car for as much as two and maybe even three laps a couple of times.

I guess that means it's a PC bug.

My biggest complaint is that when I get hit from behind I get a warning for collision with that driver even though I did not cause it.

It happened to me so many times at Bahrain that I had to continue to restart that race. And, it's not like I'm brake checking the AI. In my practice sessions I watch them so I can get an idea of how fast I should be traveling and what gear I should be using for each turn.

So, I was taking that turn in second gear exactly like they do and way too many times they would hit me in the rear and I would get a warning.

I have no issues with the curbs in this game. Since I do the full 60 minute practice sessions, I learn which ones I can and can't mess with. As long as it's consistent, I find it fair and challenging, which makes it enjoyable.

I would like them to fix the problem where I cannot use the talk to engineer feature on the PS5. I'm not extremely skilled and my reflexes are not great so I can't maneuver up and down that menu while I'm driving.

Edited by slthree
12 minutes ago, slthree said:

I play on a PS5 and I have seen the safety car numerous times in only a few races. I follow the safety car for as much as two and maybe even three laps a couple of times.

I guess that means it's a PC bug.

My biggest complaint is that when I get hit from behind I get a warning for collision with that driver even though I did not cause it.

It happened to me so many times at Bahrain that I had to continue to restart that race. And, it's not like I'm brake checking the AI. In my practice sessions I watch them so I can get an idea of how fast I should be traveling and what gear I should be using for each turn.

So, I was taking that turn in second gear exactly like they do and way too many times they would hit me in the rear and I would get a warning.

I have no issues with the curbs in this game. Since I do the full 60 minute practice sessions, I learn which ones I can and can't mess with. As long as it's consistent, I find it fair and challenging, which makes it enjoyable.

Personally I haven't had any issue with safety car on PC, they're very situational just like in real life.

If there aren't any incident then of course there won't be any SC, so it all depends on how consistent the AI were on that specific race. I have encountered numerous AI mistakes and mechanical failures in 50% race so SC was actually quite a common occurrence (I even had a few VSC turned SC too)

One extra note, I'm using Normal setting for SC instead of Increased. 

Edited by DRTApophis
2 hours ago, johnimusMG said:

I agree with a lot - not all - of this. I can't agree about your bug complaints because I play Ps4 with a wheel and have had no issues.

But on the content side, yes, I agree entirely. And I would add another: The AI is borked. Broken. Ridiculous.

They are in the first instance too fast. Absurdly too fast. Like sub one minute at Austria too fast. They have absurd pace through high speed corners - the kind of speed no human driver can replicate.

But you can account for that by lowering the difficulty. The biggest issue is how inconsistent the AI are: Absurdly fast at places like Silverstone and Spa, but not hugely challenging at Hungary, for example. It makes setting the difficulty for a career mode a complete lottery. It is game breaking and immersion breaking. The AI's on-track behaviour - their fighting and so on - is good. But their raw speed and performance is absurd. 

It honestly feels to me as if this game got ZERO play testing before release.

This is how the F1 games are every year. Inconsistent track to track. Very annoying but its always been like that in Codemasters F1 games.