Jump to content Jump to content

I've been thrown out by AI almost every race.


Recommended Posts

They're very clumsy. I'd rather they were more sensible but had more actual crashes. They don't spin out like normal drivers, they just trip over each other randomly and then stop randomly in the middle of the track for no reason.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/28/2021 at 6:35 AM, BarryBL said:

Yeah, a video showing this would go a long way here

There are a few places in the game where they should be uncommon to overtake in real life but the AI would try especially hard on poking their nose right beside player's car, which result to players getting pit-maneuver in a very unexpected manner.

For example, right before the high speed entry of turn 7 in Zandvoort, if the player is not actively trying the block that outside lane, AI would stubbornly and desperately divebomb into that tiny gap on your left-rear tire which then send you flying off to the gravel on the left. 

Another similar example is right before the tight turn 15 (left-hander) of Baku, again, the AI would went all out and try whatever they could to sneak into the outside of players without warning. Basically, unless the player is also using Overtake to run away as fast as possible as well as blocking the outside in those two places, the AI will be IN THAT GAP and usually take out the player in the process.

They had this same behavior in F1 2020 as well, the problem is not that they're too aggressive in general (In fact I want them to be even more aggressive), but they're overly aggressive in unexpected places and manners. 

Edited by DRTApophis
  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DRTApophis said:

There are a few places in the game which are or would be uncommon to have overtake in real life that the AI would try especially hard on pointing their nose right beside player's car, which result to players getting pit-maneuver in a very unexpected manner.

For example, right before the high speed entry of turn 7 in Zandvoort, if the player is not actively trying the block that outside lane, AI would stubbornly and desperately sneak into that tiny space on your left-rear tire which then send you flying off to the gravel. 

Another similar example is right before the tight turn 15 (left-hander) of Baku, again, the AI would went all out and try whatever they can to sneak into the outside of players without warning. Basically, unless the player is also using Overtake to run away as fast as possible as well as blocking the outside in those two places, the AI will be IN THAT GAP and usually take out the player in the process.

They had this same behavior in F1 2020 as well, the problem is not that they're too aggressive in general, but they're overly aggressive in unexpected places. 

So true, though I find in Zandvoort if you cover the outside they blast up the inside. Baku is horrible for that as you say. The divebombs into turn 1 and the insistence on 3 abreast out of turn 1 at the start is also getting wearisome. Just get punted into the wall down the straight to turn 2 at various tracks because someone is trying to squeeze too hard and taps your inside rear tyre.

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, BarryBL said:

Videos of the incidents help with proving this @zEmptyAlbiiz.

The AI behaviour, although in some situations not perfect, is much improved over the past 2 years. In previous years, you could just 'divebomb' a AI into the braking zone and they would practice social distancing and get out of your way, even when they have the advantage.

Not anymore. Its critical the AI are able to attack and defend. Without video, its hard to measure. Are you diving from too far back? Are there 3 cars? As IRL, without footage of the incidents, both drivers in question will see their side only.

Personally, I find the AI a massive step forward and will give as good as they get. Long may that continue.

Yeah, I didn't argue that the AI hasn't improved, in fact I think they have improved indeed! 😀
Unfortunately I don't have any videos to attach because, as I said before, I'm not the career leader and I can't save the highlights...

Maybe there's a way to do it, but I don't really know, so sorry about that.

All I can say is that it pretty much always happen from cars that are behind me, not because I "divebomb"... So I 100% know it's not my fault. I'm using an Alfa Romeo so I'm not driving to win; and so if someone decide to overtake me I give space, I'm not an obstacle and I know what I'm doing.

(Also, I didn't like how user 'KNT2011' tried to sound funny by asking me if I was playing GTA... Not funny at all, I'm not an incompetent).

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, zEmptyAlbiiz said:

All I can say is that it pretty much always happen from cars that are behind me, not because I "divebomb"... So I 100% know it's not my fault.

As per the discussion above, just because you are in front doesn't mean that what you are doing isn't contributing to what is happening. 

One solution to your video issue might be to ask the team leader to post them to somewhere like YouTube for you? 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ultra3142 said:

As per the discussion above, just because you are in front doesn't mean that what you are doing isn't contributing to what is happening. 

One solution to your video issue might be to ask the team leader to post them to somewhere like YouTube for you? 

Ok, I won't talk again then if everything I say must be followed by a video. 

I'll ask the leader next time, thanks for your answers. 

Have a nice one!

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, zEmptyAlbiiz said:

Ok, I won't talk again then if everything I say must be followed by a video. 

I'll ask the leader next time, thanks for your answers. 

Have a nice one!

Sorry if you thought I was being critical? It's more that to try to persuade anyone at Codemasters that there is an issue to be addressed that it really helps to give as much evidence as possible. 

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

like Alex Albon said "why are they racing me so hard?"  🤷‍♂️

I really don't know how fair or unfair the AI is. I'm just not good enough at racing to be claiming the AI is in the wrong. Maybe it's because I drive in cockpit mode, but even with the virtual mirror on I can't say I'm really aware of what is going on in close proximity around me. But I found that you can still learn how the AI will behave. So I adjust my racing style to that of the AI and I found that you won't get thrown off. Not sure if the AI follows the FIA rules but they follow certain rules that you can adapt to. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BelgiumDude said:

like Alex Albon said "why are they racing me so hard?"  🤷‍♂️

I really don't know how fair or unfair the AI is. I'm just not good enough at racing to be claiming the AI is in the wrong. Maybe it's because I drive in cockpit mode, but even with the virtual mirror on I can't say I'm really aware of what is going on in close proximity around me. But I found that you can still learn how the AI will behave. So I adjust my racing style to that of the AI and I found that you won't get thrown off. Not sure if the AI follows the FIA rules but they follow certain rules that you can adapt to. 

I think the real issue here wasn't because the AI are too aggressive (which imo they're still too soft in 90%+ of the situations), it was just that they're as tough as a brick wall when they're on the edge of the track, denying anything from pushing them off the track.

They could clip and spin the player with ease while keep driving ahead completely unaffected themselves. If the player tries to do the same to them? Well good luck with that LOL, the AI car is like a 300kph freight train on rail 😬

Edited by DRTApophis
  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DRTApophis said:

I think the real issue here wasn't because the AI are too aggressive (which imo they're still too soft in 90%+ of the situations), it was just that they're as tough as a brick wall when they're on the edge of the track, denying anything from pushing them off the track.

They could clip and spin the player with ease while keep driving ahead completely unaffected themselves. If the player tries to do the same to them? Well good luck with that LOL, the AI car is like a 300kph freight train on rail 😬

This 100%. Getting your wheels locked with the AI is a recipe for disaster, where they will just keep driving their line on rails and push you spinning off the track. 

Granted I did accidentally squeeze the AI a bit in this clip because I wasn't quite ahead, any human player would just move a little to the left to avoid contact.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NinjaElmo said:

This 100%. Getting your wheels locked with the AI is a recipe for disaster, where they will just keep driving their line on rails and push you spinning off the track. 

Granted I did accidentally squeeze the AI a bit in this clip because I wasn't quite ahead, any human player would just move a little to the left to avoid contact.

Good example, why sharing videos is important. We all seem to have different opinions, how AI should handle these situations.

My opinion: players fault. Overtake was not fully completed, why arrow was also still red. You do not cut on other car's racing line, if you have not completed the move. Players just seem to expect AI to give them space everywhere.

Imagine this in real life...would expect quite a lot of discussion in team radio 😀

  • Haha 2
  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, GizT7 said:

My opinion: players fault. Overtake was not fully completed, why arrow was also still red. You do not cut on other car's racing line, if you have not completed the move. Players just seem to expect AI to give them space everywhere.

Imagine this in real life...would expect quite a lot of discussion in team radio 😀

Agreed, is this supposed to be some evidence of bad AI? Shocking move. Car behind no time to react, AI or otherwise. 

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think @NinjaElmo's point was that, while admitting he was at fault with the maneuver there, the AI should have spun or suffered more? Not in the FIA sporting regulations sense, more like in the Newtonian laws sense. It quickly recovered from the collision and went on its merry way.

  • Agree 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

The clip before is just to show the brick wall nature at the edge of the track, and how differently the player's car reacts to a bump compared to the AI. The shitness of the move itself is on me.

Here's an example of the AI being a bit unexpectedly aggressive (The Alfa Romeo, not the Alpha Tauri).

Again I could have avoided it if I was paying more attention. They sometimes just do things that are a bit strange...

I'm definitely enjoying the AI more this year though. They require a lot more focus and attention to race, rather than just making the exact same move lap after lap, race after race.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NinjaElmo said:

The clip before is just to show the brick wall nature at the edge of the track, and how differently the player's car reacts to a bump compared to the AI. The shitness of the move itself is on me.

Here's an example of the AI being a bit unexpectedly aggressive (The Alfa Romeo, not the Alpha Tauri).

Again I could have avoided it if I was paying more attention. They sometimes just do things that are a bit strange...

I'm definitely enjoying the AI more this year though. They require a lot more focus and attention to race, rather than just making the exact same move lap after lap, race after race.

Good videos! 

The first one is quiet okay for me. For sure the alfa romeo is defending quiet late, but I like that he is defending at all. I like that they it seems like the alfa has kind of a bad reaction time, what makes the AI feel a bit more real. Even when this move was the reason why you lost car control I think these situations are quiet normal in real life too and make Racing more immersive. 

The second video showed a Move which is not understandable in relation the move of the first video. This is a move which is also not human-like. But I never saw a move like that from AI. Seems to be very rare. 

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes the second video looks more like a problem to me. Some degree of erratic AI behaviour makes for a more life-like feel but equally we don't want this to go too far.

I wonder if there is an AI driver stat that relates to this sort of behaviour?

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hallo,

first of all the AI is impossible to drive with! 
The GTA train AI is driving like Crashberby, again each others they Ghosting but if there is Player they crashing mostly every time. 
they have no damage, nothing! 
The AI is crashing into me and i am totally damaged and the AI? Nothing they can drive like damage is off! What is that? Fix the AI modell! 
they have no variables in there driving line! They drive always in there line and when me or my friend is in front they drive into us! Overtaking by the AI is everytime a crash when we don‘t brake and let them past! 
this is unplayable

  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

First of all, please fill in the bugg report template. Second, I don't think the AI is at fault, since on me and many others they are amazing, compared to previous games. You can now really have a great battle with them, since they don't give up their place as easy any more. And they really fight back like they should.

Edit: also show us a video about this. 

Edited by UndercoverNL
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrator
1 hour ago, Andrezinho888 said:

Hallo,

first of all the AI is impossible to drive with! 
The GTA train AI is driving like Crashberby, again each others they Ghosting but if there is Player they crashing mostly every time. 
they have no damage, nothing! 
The AI is crashing into me and i am totally damaged and the AI? Nothing they can drive like damage is off! What is that? Fix the AI modell! 
they have no variables in there driving line! They drive always in there line and when me or my friend is in front they drive into us! Overtaking by the AI is everytime a crash when we don‘t brake and let them past! 
this is unplayable

I've merged into here @Andrezinho888, as it isn't a completed bug report, and there also another discussion with more involvement. Please search before posting.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's another video with some moments from the last few days. I'll stop posting examples after this because I'm getting a bit spammy. Also sorry for the swearing haha.

My takes:

1. I wasn't really alongside enough, so he closed the door / It seems like he tried to leave me a cars width, and not an inch more. 

2. The was a gap there for a split-second and Gasly sent it through it. A human player probably would have realised the gap was about to close and made more effort to avoid contact.

3. Honestly I can't really explain the AI here. Hamilton smashes into the back/side of me as we near the apex, making me slide and have to brake more, ruining my exit as he drives off into the distance.

These are all relatively human-like aggression, which is fun to race against. As pointed out previously, it's the way the AI can make contact but lose no time, while the player is left spinning/sliding, that seems to cause frustration. 

In general, it feels like the AI is more willing to close the door on the player and make opportunistic moves. In 2020, it felt like if you could get your front wheels at the AI's rears, they would instantly give you room, no matter where it was on the track. In 2021, it feels like if for even a split-second your fronts are further back than their rears, they will 'forget' you are there and take their planned line, whether or not you are, by the laws of physics, about to be where they want to put their car. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...