Jump to content Jump to content

Quali Program Vs Actual Quali

Ive been trying to compare the quali practice program against actual qualifying as something doesn’t  feel right. Now that we dont get the quali program at every practice i am unable to compare on every track.

I’m at silverstone in S2 of my team. I passed the quali practice program (purple) which gave me an expected position of P5 with a time of 1:25.236

When it came to Q1 i did a time of 1:24.764 which put me in P16 ! My team mate, JB, did a time of 1:24.420 Which put him in 10th.

i know the practice program is only ‘estimating’ times our rivals might do, but the gap seems large compared to the practice program in F1 20.

wanted to get some opinions before possibly raising a bug report? As either the practice program is broken or AI is OP in quali? 

cheers

36 minutes ago, Silverchris said:

From what others have said and hat I experienced think AI is just OP in qual totally,even with a decent car I’m struggling to get above 15th yet come race I end up in top 5

Yeah thats what I’m experiencing too. At least it makes it more fun coming through the pack 🤣

• Agree 1

Don't forget, the track gets quicker as you go from free practice into qualifying, so setting a 'realistic' target time in qualifying isn't actually fair, because you'll naturally go quicker in qualifying itself.

I tested this out last week.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
27 minutes ago, Blent said:

Don't forget, the track gets quicker as you go from free practice into qualifying, so setting a 'realistic' target time in qualifying isn't actually fair, because you'll naturally go quicker in qualifying itself.

I tested this out last week.

I totally accept your argument that the track will rubbers in over the weekend. 
The times i’m taking about above were end of P3 and Q1. So wouldn’t have thought track evolution would be so large.

so you think there is no point in taking any notice of the practice program? I’m just struggling to know where i’m at in terms of set up and pace. As the program results have no correlation to actual quali.

While times can differ, the position should be expected if it worked like before, so you will be quicker in qualy, but should run ok the expected position usually. But the AI are nasty in qualy this year, especially in some heavy aerodynamic tracks

• Agree 1
5 minutes ago, Jobling1983 said:

I totally accept your argument that the track will rubbers in over the weekend. 
The times i’m taking about above were end of P3 and Q1. So wouldn’t have thought track evolution would be so large.

so you think there is no point in taking any notice of the practice program? I’m just struggling to know where i’m at in terms of set up and pace. As the program results have no correlation to actual quali.

Honestly, I don't pay attention to the programme in terms of it being a prediction of qualifying performance.

I simply see it as a challenge to earn development points by making a 'game' of the qualifying simulation runs real times do at the end of FP3.

I just do as quick a lap I can at the end of FP3 and if I pass, I pass. If not, oh well.

6 hours ago, Jobling1983 said:

Ive been trying to compare the quali practice program against actual qualifying as something doesn’t  feel right. Now that we dont get the quali program at every practice i am unable to compare on every track.

I’m at silverstone in S2 of my team. I passed the quali practice program (purple) which gave me an expected position of P5 with a time of 1:25.236

When it came to Q1 i did a time of 1:24.764 which put me in P16 ! My team mate, JB, did a time of 1:24.420 Which put him in 10th.

i know the practice program is only ‘estimating’ times our rivals might do, but the gap seems large compared to the practice program in F1 20.

wanted to get some opinions before possibly raising a bug report? As either the practice program is broken or AI is OP in quali? 

cheers

I haven't had any problems so far. When the quali program tells me that I could end up around P15, that's mostly true.

8 hours ago, Jobling1983 said:

Yeah thats what I’m experiencing too. At least it makes it more fun coming through the pack 🤣

I turned traction control off and after a hour practicing I can now qual couple of places higher so worth doing and as a added bonus I’m not sliding as much on kerbs anymore.

• Agree 2
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Silverchris said:

I turned traction control off and after a hour practicing I can now qual couple of places higher so worth doing and as a added bonus I’m not sliding as much on kerbs anymore.

I dont use TC, but thanks for the suggestion.

I think it might have just been a problem at silverstone (possibly with my setup). As the practice program at Spa gave a closer indication of my true quali position.

Edited by Jobling1983
Typo
2 hours ago, Jobling1983 said:

I dont use TC, but thanks for the suggestion.

I think it might have just been a problem at silverstone (possibly with my setup). As the practice program at Spa gave a closer indication of my true quali position.

I struggled with silverstone too but not tried trl set up yet so hoping his will work better.