Jump to content Jump to content

No ABS on Controller tips

Playing on PS5 - I don't get a huge amount of time, but when I do I look as real an experience as possible. Given my time limitations I can't justify investing in a wheel so it's controller for me. 

I turn all assist off except for racing line, which I only use because with my limited time I don't have enough time to learn the racing lines on all the tracks etc. I do turn this off for qualy and the race if I am feeling confident on a particular track.

I generally borrow set ups from the internet and then modify them slightly to my liking, but I am only really concentrating on oversteer as I find a lot of the set ups off the internet are oversteery in high speed corners which doesn't suit me. 

The 1 assist, I really struggle with is ABS, I am constantly locking the brakes, I am trail braking, and with the PS5 controller it's definitely better, But still struggle, I find it's quite difficult to tell if you lock up with no smoke and less screeching, which I know is more realistic but I feel like I may be locking up more than I think I am.

I use L2/R2 for brake and accelerator with L1/R1 for gear changes. Maybe there is a better controller layout? Is it setup changes? Callibration? I am open to any ideas. Like I say I don't have huge amounts of time, I may get a couple of hours every 2 weeks or something like that but I am looking to get better and faster. 

I would suggest turning the trigger resistance on the DualSense up to 'strong' and then only braking as hard as the resistance allows.

If you pull beyond the resistance point, you'll find yourself locking up.

Also, be mindful the brakes aren't going to feel the same into every corner. Braking in a straight line is going to feel different to braking while cornering or moving laterally.

• Like 2

There doesn't seem to be much resistance - On other games there definitely is but not f1 21, there is some vibration in the trigger on race starts when using it as a clutch but not braking. Is this normal?

Brake hard while straight and smooth when turning the car on the curve. Linearity can help a bit to adapt, but it Will take a time until braking feels natural.

I change gears with square and cross because of confort to leave the upper part of the hand and controller free. Also leaves lesser room at least for me to press deeper in the brakes by mistake while changing gears down not using l1/r1

2 minutes ago, ben28wales said:

There doesn't seem to be much resistance - On other games there definitely is but not f1 21, there is some vibration in the trigger on race starts when using it as a clutch but not braking. Is this normal?

There definitely is for braking - especially set to 'strong'. I love how you can 'feel' the limit of the brakes this year due to the resistance of L2 alone. It's the one big benefit of the next-gen version for me.

1 minute ago, Blent said:

There definitely is for braking - especially set to 'strong'. I love how you can 'feel' the limit of the brakes this year due to the resistance of L2 alone. It's the one big benefit of the next-gen version for me.

Great, I'll have a look tonight. I thought it was set to strong to be honest, I can really feel it on Astro's playroom for example but not on F1 - I'll have a look through tonight to see if I can see anything. 

5 minutes ago, Hichel18 said:

Brake hard while straight and smooth when turning the car on the curve. Linearity can help a bit to adapt, but it Will take a time until braking feels natural.

I change gears with square and cross because of confort to leave the upper part of the hand and controller free. Also leaves lesser room at least for me to press deeper in the brakes by mistake while changing gears down not using l1/r1

I was thinking about square and cross for gear changes but it might take some getting used to. l1/r1 seems natural to me but I might give it a go, thanks. 

2 minutes ago, ben28wales said:

Great, I'll have a look tonight. I thought it was set to strong to be honest, I can really feel it on Astro's playroom for example but not on F1 - I'll have a look through tonight to see if I can see anything. 

Once you get used to it and build up a muscle memory, you'll find that you'll can brake pretty effectively. You'll naturally lock up every now and then, but that feels fairly realistic to me. It's definitely more immersive and rewarding racing without ABS on.

@PJTierney has great material on it. 

Do you play with both the index and the middle finger on the triggers? If that's so, just keep your custom layout. Now if you're activating both the bumper and the trigger with only the index, I'd revert it back to the default (X and square for shifting).

Play around with Brake Linearity and Brake Saturation in the Calibration tab of the settings, too. Find a value that allows you to consistently apply low and medium braking force. I used to play with 40 brake linearity and went on to 20 or 25 now I think. 

Then make sure to always watch the replay after locking up. Turn to the outside camera and move it to both sides, going back and forth with the video, until you spot the (1) axle and (2) the side that locks up first. With that info you can either move your brake bias accordingly or tweak your spring rates to even out your car balance when braking. You'll always lock the wheel that's exceeding its capability of work, so you either ask less work from it or you increase its grip.

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, marioho said:

@PJTierney has great material on it. 

Do you play with both the index and the middle finger on the triggers? If that's so, just keep your custom layout. Now if you're activating both the bumper and the trigger with only the index, I'd revert it back to the default (X and square for shifting).

Play around with Brake Linearity and Brake Saturation in the Calibration tab of the settings, too. Find a value that allows you to consistently apply low and medium braking force. I used to play with 40 brake linearity and went on to 20 or 25 now I think. 

Then make sure to always watch the replay after locking up. Turn to the outside camera and move it to both sides, going back and forth with the video, until you spot the (1) axle and (2) the side that locks up first. With that info you can either move your brake bias accordingly or tweak your spring rates to even out your car balance when braking. You'll always lock the wheel that's exceeding its capability of work, so you either ask less work from it or you increase its grip.

I think Linearity is defintiely something I need to play around with more. Thank you. 

Take the video only as a discription. Look for your own settings for your driving style. I´ve used all the same settings on the release day and I need a so different setting for my driving style. He has more videos for setting your controller, but he uses an X Box One X Controller. You need a total different settings because of the haptic feedback and trigger control of the dual sense.

Edited by MadEvilBeavis76
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Social Media & Community Team
4 minutes ago, MadEvilBeavis76 said:

Take the video only as a discription. Look for your own settings for your driving style. I´ve used all the same settings on the release day and I need a so different setting for my driving style. He has more videos for setting your controller, but he uses an X Box One X Controller. You need a total different settings because of the haptic feedback and trigger control of the dual sense.

Agreed.

Whenever you get tips and tricks or settings from another player, bear in mind that what works for them doesn't always work for you.

For example, I like to set my force-feedback fairly low, as I'm used to throwing the wheel around when playing DiRT Rally 2.0.

Some people might like that, but others may be used to a heavier wheel as they can feel the limit better.

We all play these games differently, and by all means you should try out other people's advice, but always tweak it to the way you like to play 🙂 

• Agree 2

One thing I’ve noticed regarding the adaptive triggers on the DualSense is that if you don’t completely come off the throttle before braking there will be no resistance on L2.

I’m not sure if this is a bug, feature, hardware limitation or what, but I’ve tested it several times with the same result.

Now I am new to F1 games, so I’m not sure if it’s a given that you need to fully release the throttle before braking, but coming from Dirt Rally 2.0 where left foot braking is a common technique has thrown me off a bit.

4 hours ago, Gregathol said:

One thing I’ve noticed regarding the adaptive triggers on the DualSense is that if you don’t completely come off the throttle before braking there will be no resistance on L2.

I’m not sure if this is a bug, feature, hardware limitation or what, but I’ve tested it several times with the same result.

Now I am new to F1 games, so I’m not sure if it’s a given that you need to fully release the throttle before braking, but coming from Dirt Rally 2.0 where left foot braking is a common technique has thrown me off a bit.

I'm still not feeling much resistance in the triggers, but I have seen some improvements by playing with the linearity. 

Also I have noticed that locking up does not seem so detrimental in this game, in previous games a lock up would often mean going straight on and missing the corner, where a now the consequences don't seem to much. Maybe it's because as I am getting better the lock ups I am having are smaller, I am not sure, but am certainly getting there. 

5 hours ago, ben28wales said:

I'm still not feeling much resistance in the triggers, but I have seen some improvements by playing with the linearity. 

Also I have noticed that locking up does not seem so detrimental in this game, in previous games a lock up would often mean going straight on and missing the corner, where a now the consequences don't seem to much. Maybe it's because as I am getting better the lock ups I am having are smaller, I am not sure, but am certainly getting there. 

Maybe try using the triggers with your middle fingers instead of index? It’s a bit awkward but when I tried it, it gave me a really good idea of just how overly strong my index finger pulls were, leading to less granularity with throttle/brake control.

Linearity is certainly extremely helpful. I set each steering, braking, throttle all at 50 Linearity and then play around from there.

edit: never mind I reread the thread, seems you already play with middle fingers on triggers lol, sorry about that

Edited by Gregathol
Word, I am dumb
  • Haha 1