Sign in to follow this  

North American User Review Thread

I love it.. I'm not that fast with the wheel yet, but so far I've run two career races and I'm having a blast. I got the feel that I want CSR Fanatec wheel with pedals and its fun to drive so far. I like that there is a feature to make the races longer. Which really makes it worth getting a wheel for. I ran my Career races up to x5 which means the first two races were 20 and 25 laps. Plenty of time to pass. Right now the AI is on medium but they put up  quite a fight. I may reduce the laps a little and leave the AI where they are at or Increase the AI and leave the laps in there. There is also a split screen so you can have fun with other family members. Good Job Codies. And I was able to Change the configuration of buttons on my wheel.

Edit: I love also that you can get 10:00 worth of practice in before you race on a track with a car you've never driven. Gives you plenty of time to learn gear selections and braking zones.

Two thumbs up so far. I'll go more in depth later, I actually want to get back to playing it now that my Xbox power supply has cooled down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGEIwN--pmk

So far, the game is excellent. Of course there are some flaws, like the AI being too planted when you make contact. Or personal pet peeves like the clutch setup (doesn't engage a gear if you don't have the clutch engaged all the way - Forza's way is far superior. Miss a shift, damage your gear box and take a bit longer to engage the gear, but still go into gear.

Then you have the other stuff, like the cockpit cam being poor, due to the dashes on cars being useless (no rev counters or gear indicators) and mirrors not working at all (on 360 anyway)

Definite room for improvement, but a definite vast improvement over grid 2. Definitely headed in the right direction, and this boosts my hopes for DiRT4.

Im just starting my open wheel career and Im very pleased with the feel of the driving. Alot like the classic cars in F1 2013.Im on the 360 using a Fanatec csr with elite pedals. Everything just feels right so far. I could never get that right feel in Grid 2 with the Indy car. So I was a bit worried, but very pleased with this. Decided to go against Ravenwest to begin, so I dont have tuning options as of yet. Cant wait to play around with those. Its awesome to be able to change the race length, 3 or 4 laps goes to quick in my opinion. I feel like this game was made for its hardcore fans. Well spent money in my opinion.

flirtyking said:

Im just starting my open wheel career and Im very pleased with the feel of the driving. Alot like the classic cars in F1 2013.Im on the 360 using a Fanatec csr with elite pedals. Everything just feels right so far. I could never get that right feel in Grid 2 with the Indy car. So I was a bit worried, but very pleased with this. Decided to go against Ravenwest to begin, so I dont have tuning options as of yet. Cant wait to play around with those. Its awesome to be able to change the race length, 3 or 4 laps goes to quick in my opinion. I feel like this game was made for its hardcore fans. Well spent money in my opinion.

Interested to read everyone views on this game that I have been waiting so keenly for. As i'm from the UK I don't get mine until probably Monday \ Tuesday.

What options are there for race length? Like you I am not a fan of the short sprint races like we have in Forza 4 (Xbox 360) so was hoping for something with a bit more depth in GA.

I love the F1 2013 classics so your comment on this having that sort of feel is good news for me :)

So far, the game is excellent. Of course there are some flaws, like the AI being too planted when you make contact. Or personal pet peeves like the clutch setup (doesn't engage a gear if you don't have the clutch engaged all the way - Forza's way is far superior. Miss a shift, damage your gear box and take a bit longer to engage the gear, but still go into gear.

Then you have the other stuff, like the cockpit cam being poor, due to the dashes on cars being useless (no rev counters or gear indicators) and mirrors not working at all (on 360 anyway)

Definite room for improvement, but a definite vast improvement over grid 2. Definitely headed in the right direction, and this boosts my hopes for DiRT4.
What is the issue with ther cockpit cam? I only ever drive from the cockpit.. surfing the car makes me feel giddy lol I was hoping the mirrors would have been fixed before release but hope we get this sorted soon after release. SO none of thbe incar indicators actually work?

flirtyking said:I believe it goes up 5x. After the very first race and you start your career, you will find in youe menus, cant remember exactly where. Im doing 2x which has made the races around 8 laps. So 5x is probably 20 or more. I believe the first post in here mentioned something. You also have practice and a 3 lap qualification, in open wheel anyway. Not sure about the others. The menu system is pretty easy and quick. Im enjoying very much. Think you will as well.

Interested to read everyone views on this game that I have been waiting so keenly for. As i'm from the UK I don't get mine until probably Monday \ Tuesday.

What options are there for race length? Like you I am not a fan of the short sprint races like we have in Forza 4 (Xbox 360) so was hoping for something with a bit more depth in GA.

I love the F1 2013 classics so your comment on this having that sort of feel is good news for me :)

flirtyking said:

What is the issue with ther cockpit cam? I only ever drive from the cockpit.. surfing the car makes me feel giddy lol I was hoping the mirrors would have been fixed before release but hope we get this sorted soon after release. SO none of thbe incar indicators actually work?
Nope, none of them work, and I don't expect a fix. Codies have said nothing to even slightly raise our hopes on that front.

RobertKNL said:
You can multiply race length by 2,3 and 5 if I'm not mistaken, That is also one of the reasons I'm getting this game :)

yeah I'll probably be running my game on x3

flirtyking said:

Actually if you've per-ordered we should get ours by Friday as Friday is release day for Europe and the UK

Hammerpgh62 said:

flirtyking said:

Actually if you've per-ordered we should get ours by Friday as Friday is release day for Europe and the UK

Mine was from Game and with a 2-3 business days delivery schedule I am not expecting it until Tuesday tbh (I assumed it would not be dispatched until the release date) even though it says SHIPPED when I check it under My Orders.

I hope you are correct though :)

Nope, none of them work, and I don't expect a fix. Codies have said nothing to even slightly raise our hopes on that front.
Can you elaborate your findings? What do you mean by none of them work? I haven;t seen any other comments about them being that bad other than some bluriness comments.

Hammerpgh62 said:

flirtyking said:

Mine was from Game and with a 2-3 business days delivery schedule I am not expecting it until Tuesday tbh (I assumed it would not be dispatched until the release date) even though it says SHIPPED when I check it under My Orders.

I hope you are correct though :)

they usually try to send games out so they're in the customers hands on release day for preorders anyway I'm certainly expecting mine on Friday although I haven't received my dispatched note yet but I'm hopeful that will happen within the next 24 hours

To me the incar doesn't take away from the game, in fact it forces you to focus on the road ahead while still having that out of windshield perspective. yeah Mirrors don't work.. I would have liked to have at least an incar rear view mirror,  but again My focus is getting to the front and the cars ahead, not BLOCKING. I love the Radio feedback feature you can get info from the team like car status and splits from the Engineer on demand. I usually run x5 length races as the AI can get a little rambunctious in the back and keep you from chasing down the leader. But you don't have to worry about trying to make it to the front in one lap like that. 

Grid Autosport is as fun as the old Toca series in multiplayer physic wise. They even took the giant track in reverse like the spa which force you to learn a lot when it come for track layout. The car physic isn't too hard. the most fun part is that some different cars physics feel a lot different on each class. It may seem easy, but it's between sim & pro sim in Toca 2. If lose traction, you may not be able to recover if the angle is too high. Implementation of rumble strip act more like rumble strip & the grass tip your car to fall on the top is awesome(exclusive).

I play on PC & the tracks are simply gorgeous. I'll probably say it is the best looking track I've seen on PC so far, normally you see the graphic all concentrated into the cars & the rest look like crap. The cars look great & detailled too, but not in the photo realism level. The wheels still look in 3d unlike forza motion blur that make the wheels look in 2d. The cockpit cam is simplified & I'm one of the believer that it's a waste of time to put too much effort there.

Replay camera have been fixed & look more professional. I can now enjoy watching the replay, especially the drift event. With the RX7 grey, it look nearly real. One thing that bug me a bit is the physic being like Toca make the car all float around the track in the replay, except for the drift which look realistic. I believe some fake steering input animation implementation would fix the appearance during the replay. Automatic wings & the tailpipe boom boom spitfire is well animated with sound.

The content, I didn't have the time to explore the whole game, but I can definitely write it has enough contents to make your gameplay past 40hours for sure. It has qualification, practice & someone who help you to know what's happening in the race by a press of a button. You can command your teammate to drive aggressively or not during the race(It can be helpful to win position or block the AI path). It has many series with different car handling with load of tracks & many are real world ones

If you play online, expect to play a lot of hours. The car won't throw off like ping pong if get touched & it's very good for a close race.

The main thing I'm very happy with is the elimination of all the useless B.S. you usually have to put up with in simcade racers.  If you've played the latest Need for Speed Rivals, which isn't simcade, the endless talking and cut scenes, especially when you first run the game, makes it absolutely frustrating.  It talks to you like you've never played a racing game before.

Autosport feels very streamlined in this aspect.  You can get on track quickly with minimal talk.  Just a few menu selections and you're off.  No cutscenes, no pointless explanations.  When you start a career you do have to watch an unskippable intro and listen to a female explaining what you probably already know.  It's not too bad.  Although I don't like being forced to watch intros, this one is short and to the point.

Once on track, you don't hear dumb comments from other drivers.  It's just you and the car.  Your team keeps radio chatter to a minimum.

The little I've played I'm already enjoying Autosport.  I know I'm showing my age when I say my arcade racing experience goes all the way back to Atari Night Driver (1976).  I believe my PC sim experience started with Papyrus Indycar (1993).  

>>>>  (ATTN: Loore)

For now, I've already seen two things I'd like removed.

#1. When you select "Return to Paddock", it takes a moment to show you the back of your car and then the front.  There's really no need for that.  I'd prefer it immediately take me back without wasted time seeing my car.

#2. When running practice, my team tells me every minute how much time remains.  No need to hear, "You have 9 minutes remaining.  You have 8 minutes remaining.  You have 7 minutes remaining."  I'd prefer, "You have 10 minutes remaining.  You have 5 minutes remaining.  You have 2 minutes remaining.  You have 1 minute remaining."

MaXKiLLz said:
The main thing I'm very happy with is the elimination of all the useless B.S. you usually have to put up with in simcade racers.  If you've played the latest Need for Speed Rivals, which isn't simcade, the endless talking and cut scenes, especially when you first run the game, makes it absolutely frustrating.  It talks to you like you've never played a racing game before.

Autosport feels very streamlined in this aspect.  You can get on track quickly with minimal talk.  Just a few menu selections and you're off.  No cutscenes, no pointless explanations.  When you start a career you do have to watch an unskippable intro and listen to a female explaining what you probably already know.  It's not too bad.  Although I don't like being forced to watch intros, this one is short and to the point.

Once on track, you don't hear dumb comments from other drivers.  It's just you and the car.  Your team keeps radio chatter to a minimum.

The little I've played I'm already enjoying Autosport.  I know I'm showing my age when I say my arcade racing experience goes all the way back to Atari Night Driver (1976).  I believe my PC sim experience started with Papyrus Indycar (1993).  

>>>>  (ATTN: Loore)

For now, I've already seen two things I'd like removed.

#1. When you select "Return to Paddock", it takes a moment to show you the back of your car and then the front.  There's really no need for that.  I'd prefer it immediately take me back without wasted time seeing my car.

#2. When running practice, my team tells me every minute how much time remains.  No need to hear, "You have 9 minutes remaining.  You have 8 minutes remaining.  You have 7 minutes remaining."  I'd prefer, "You have 10 minutes remaining.  You have 5 minutes remaining.  You have 2 minutes remaining.  You have 1 minute remaining."

No, leave #1 in please.

Mine was from Game and with a 2-3 business days delivery schedule I am not expecting it until Tuesday tbh (I assumed it would not be dispatched until the release date) even though it says SHIPPED when I check it under My Orders. I hope you are correct though :)
Game sent me my dispatch notice on Tuesday. Still not expecting it on Friday as post to Ireland usually takes longer than that. But at least they tried this time, unlike my F1 2013 order which they sent out the day before release...

Mine was from Game and with a 2-3 business days delivery schedule I am not expecting it until Tuesday tbh (I assumed it would not be dispatched until the release date) even though it says SHIPPED when I check it under My Orders. I hope you are correct though :)
Game sent me my dispatch notice on Tuesday. Still not expecting it on Friday as post to Ireland usually takes longer than that. But at least they tried this time, unlike my F1 2013 order which they sent out the day before release...
received mine from Amazon this morning so I'm happy I know mine's on it's way now.