Jump to content Jump to content

Trees in Monte Carlo affecting FPS

dwkGravey

When I get to the more tree-y parts of both Monte Carlo stages (which feels like 75% of each of them), my framerate drops to about 22-24 fps. The rest of the game, whether it's the most tree-filled sections of Powys or a six-car rallycross in the rain, runs between 30-60. Monte Carlo is the only time it falls below 30. I've found this to be the case since day one, but only now did I finally think to isolate it, and turned the trees to ultra low and left everything else the same, and sure enough those same Monte Carlo sections now run at 30-31 fps.

Anyone else experiencing this, and if so why is it only the Monégasque trees? Especially when the other locations don't suffer a dearth of deciduous decoration?
I am running a more moderate system, but it seems weird to me that the fps dip only happens in Monte Carlo, whereas not at all in even the most heavily forested sections of Germany, Greece, or Wales (or the dustiest, bangiest grids in rallycross).

i5-4570S 2.9GHz
8GB DDR3
NVIDIA GT 750M/1GB
Win 8.1

And graphics settings (spoiler'ed for space):
Resolution - 1366x768
Multisampling - CMAA
Night Lighting - Medium
Shadows - Medium
Advanced Fog - On
Particles - High
Weather - High
Crowd - Medium
Cloth - Low
Ambient Occlusion - Medium
Advanced Ambient Occlusion - Off
Mirrors - Medium
Ground Cover - Low
Vehicle Details - Medium
Track - Medium
Trees - Medium
Objects - Medium
Vehicle Reflections - Medium
Water - Medium
Skidmarks - On
Texture Detail - Medium
Shader Detail - Medium
Anistropic Filtering - Low
Smoke Shadows - On
Advanced Blending - Off

I had notorious FPS dips in Monte Carlo too, mostly 2-3 specific hairpins, probably due to trees, didn't imagine it would be the trees.

After the very late upgrade, the dips kind of vanished, got overpowered by my new GPU. Didn't fix Rallycross, though.
Maybe it's due to the fact those trees have snow on them, since I also get dips on Monte Carlo, but those happen when it snows as well, while other tracks can have a night stage with rain in the middle of the most foresty section and it's still running at 70FPS for me. Monte Carlo, a bit of snow or trees and FPS just runs away. Seems like it doesn't like snow xD
They have slowly been improving frame rate during the updates, Monte got a lot better for me (though never as bad as you have it) after the last update, then i basically brute forced it with a gfx card update.

What i think would be a great idea, would be the built in benchmark to actually include the more stressful parts of this game, it would have to be including weather, possibly some night as that adds light options, maybe two full runs through, one day/foggy and one night time, rain on both?  Benchmarks should show the worst outcome, not the best, as i believe it currently does.
F2CMaDMaXX said:What i think would be a great idea, would be the built in benchmark to actually include the more stressful parts of this game, it would have to be including weather, possibly some night as that adds light options, maybe two full runs through, one day/foggy and one night time, rain on both?  Benchmarks should show the worst outcome, not the best, as i believe it currently does.
Agree here massively. I think the best stage for benchmarking would be "Col De Turini - Depart en Descente" with snow and at night. That's by far the most FPS eating stage in the game. Not going below 60FPS there would mean I would have my 72FPS lock always on basically every single other stage in the game, regardless of the weather.
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I'm also affected by this - just wanted to create a topic when have found this one.
My PC: i5, gtx 760, 8gb ram, hdd.
My game's setup between Medium and High with some of effects set to Ultra (ground cover, track, textures) to keep stable 60fps but still have some nice graphic effects included.
Finland seems to be best optimised location - I can run it smoothly with trees to medium and stable 60fps.
Greece - also stable but in night requires me to lower settings a little bit.
MC - I have to turn trees to ultra low. From what I've tested with simple slow drive through stage it seems that trees that are causing this massive framerate drops are the dry one (without any leaves) and those with red leaves.

versedi said:
I'm also affected by this - just wanted to create a topic when have found this one.
My PC: i5, gtx 760, 8gb ram, hdd.
My game's setup between Medium and High with some of effects set to Ultra (ground cover, track, textures) to keep stable 60fps but still have some nice graphic effects included.
Finland seems to be best optimised location - I can run it smoothly with trees to medium and stable 60fps.
Greece - also stable but in night requires me to lower settings a little bit.
MC - I have to turn trees to ultra low. From what I've tested with simple slow drive through stage it seems that trees that are causing this massive framerate drops are the dry one (without any leaves) and those with red leaves.

i've got similar specs and a same problem. It's pretty laggy in forest stages because of poorly optimized trees shadows. Set your shadows to Medium-high, and anti-aliasing to 8x CSAA 

i've got similar specs and a same problem. It's pretty laggy in forest stages because of poorly optimized trees shadows. Set your shadows to Medium-high, and anti-aliasing to 8x CSAA 

8xCSAA is too much for my rig besides it's pointless on 1080p, 4xMSAA is enough.
I'm going to OC my graphiccard see if this is the bottleneck or is it something between it and cpu.

Where did the Low Tree settings go?

Archived