Jump to content Jump to content

Hmmm...don't like the comment about the V2 FFB

cjl9

We've dropped a few hints and stuff, probably more than we should, but no ones been in trouble yet..
I just think we're starting to get a liiiittle too close to the sun openly discussing parts of it amongst ourselves here rather than there. ;)
BrySkye said:
We've dropped a few hints and stuff, probably more than we should, but no ones been in trouble yet..
I just think we're starting to get a liiiittle too close to the sun openly discussing parts of it amongst ourselves here rather than there. ;)
I believe we started talking about V2 openly after the last roadbook which held information about most of the things we've been discussing. I think we should be in the clear.
Biggest thing for me on tarmac is how easy it is to recover after loss of grip. It feels like drifting in snow...like the coefficient of friction smoothly returns to grip without a bite. If we're driving at the edge of grip, once it's lost, it should be very difficult to recover, especially the first kick after countersteer
That's what I like about the kit cars and especially the 037. The 2010s are naturally going to make everything feel like snow.
I'm pretty excited about V2. I will say though, it was through the roadbooks that I got most of my info, not so much on these threads -except for the fact that they say it's awesome. ha
Are WRC 2001 cars with the v2 physics? I found them very glued to the ground cornering in Finland. 

Asphalt physics seems... meh. Like how the cars brake a little less, and how they corner at low speeds. But when you got fasters they're awfull. Remembering Engineering College... the downforce it's proporcional to speed. So, at low speeds I found that they did a good job, but at high speeds, car should behave like they did in v1 physics (I'm talking about the WRC 2010). And ok, I never got myself in a WRC seat, but I have done some testing in a R5 car, and at high speed, you should corner faster without loosing the rear, even without the big WRC wing.

In the oposite side, love the gravel physics. Cars seems good, and the suspension work in the new WRC it's fantastic 

More testing later :)
I love the V2 on Tarmac, makes you work for your credits.  We're rallying, so should be driving close to the limits of grip.  Before, Germany was like playing F1 without the run-offs.  Cars had loads of grip and took a jab of the handbrake to induce a slide.  With V2, you can drive through your grip and upset the car with weight transfer, as it should be.  Bumps and road contours upset the car like they actually would too.

I can just here the complaints: -  Uh oh, Dirt Rally ain't arcadey any more....

Now, I'm off to upgrade a 2001 Focus with absolutely no power as standard lol
To add to that, I just had the Focus in my most hated, frustrating location of the game, Greece.  The handling had transformed on the loose too!  The way you can adjust the car and work with it mid-corner is amazing now!  
The physics differences are subtle, but such a step forward, as I have said before, away from the Arcade-ish feel, to full driving sim!  People may well hate that, but as a driver, I think its great!
Are WRC 2001 cars with the v2 physics? I found them very glued to the ground cornering in Finland. 

Asphalt physics seems... meh. Like how the cars brake a little less, and how they corner at low speeds. But when you got fasters they're awfull. Remembering Engineering College... the downforce it's proporcional to speed. So, at low speeds I found that they did a good job, but at high speeds, car should behave like they did in v1 physics (I'm talking about the WRC 2010). And ok, I never got myself in a WRC seat, but I have done some testing in a R5 car, and at high speed, you should corner faster without loosing the rear, even without the big WRC wing.

In the oposite side, love the gravel physics. Cars seems good, and the suspension work in the new WRC it's fantastic 

More testing later :)
I do agree with you that the cars feel a bit too unstable at high speed.

As said before I have a strange FFB sensation on tarmac. Esp with the 2001 Scooby. It feels very sluggish for a tarmac setup. It feels like a boat.

Gravel is splendid though :)
Well, this is interesting. I drive mainly '70s cars and was worried about changes to FFB and physics. (I started this thread.)

And Codies removed all my setups.

No problem. On one stage in Wales and 2 in Germany I have beaten my previous best times comfortably with the standard setup. The cars feel great on gravel and tarmac.

Well done Codies!
As i've done most of my V1-mileage on German military bases, i tested various V2 cars there first. While I was devastated that all my sets I've fine tuned for hours were simply deleted, the driving that followed nullified these negative feelings. 
It's a big change. New cars feel fantastic.
Focus: Has that lovely sharp turn in you're used to see from Colin's Onboards. Great fun to drive.
Impreza: Lovely balance, more planted than the Focus and probably a bit faster on Tarmac at least.
The feedback of the tyres through the wheel is much more pronounced and both feel more connected.
WRC2010: Lovely, more feedback through the front wheels, more confidence in the car.
80s RWD: Drifting the Sierra round the junctions felt more intuitive and maybe slightly less grippy than before. Yet still those cars regain grip far too quickly. 

Generally i'd say that V2 is a revelation

The Bad: One thing that irritates me though is the cars physics at speed. Sure it's less planted and dependent on downforce but the first few km I felt like the cars behaved like a "crab" through fast bends. Judging by the visuals I thought I had to counter steer a slide, because visually I was going sideways, but the rear did not lose any grip and the FFB did not tell me to, cause physically I wasn't in a slide. It was a strange experience. It felt like the car had some kind of center pivot point or as if there's some issues with the inertia front to rear. As I got used to it it felt okay, but it's definitely something the Devs should look into. 

FFB: To get the best feeling on Tarmac I've had to bump up my previous FFB settings by 30%.

Archived