Jump to content Jump to content

Addressing AI inconsistency

One of the big problems that's accompanied the Codemasters F1 games for many years has been inconsistent AI performance across the various tracks. This requires those of us that value realism to adjust the difficulty between almost every single track, which is in my mind both immersion breaking and game breaking.

I have bought every F1 game since the difficulty slider was introduced in the hopes that this will be fixed, and it never has, and it leads to me dropping the game within a few weeks out of frustration. The latest change - not allowing us to change difficulty in the loading screen - has made this even more tedious.

If this inconsistency is not addressed directly, which I understand might be difficult due to differences in player skill, then I propose 3 simple solutions:

1. At the start of a race weekend, provide an [optional] short hot lap program of 3-5 laps, after which the difficulty is automatically adjusted based on the lap times
  2. Bring back the ability to adjust the difficulty between sessions - there really is no justifiable reason for this not to be included
  3. Allow the player to 'lock in' a default difficulty for each track

These all seem to be achievable things to introduce, and would provide big improvements to the game's quality of life.

Apologies if this has already been suggested, but I think this is a significant problem that should be a priority area for offline players. We should not have to play this game without considering whether tracks are 'strong' or 'weak' for the AI. We should just be able to get on with playing the game because we enjoy the racing.

• Agree 8

I agree with you. It is my major complaint about this series. I find it even game breaking because every time I get into the second season; I'm being put of by starting another weekend because I have to lower the AI. If it was just by a margin of 1 or 2 you could live with being outperformed by AI on some circuits, but it's sometimes by a factor of 10. Codemaster has been consistent in making the AI inconsistent on various tracks.

• Agree 4

So playing with almost full assists (don’t judge me) and only optimizing the wing set up for the track I have wild AI fluctuations across tracks. I get that some people are faster or better on some tracks than others but if basically the computer is driving the car for me then the AI should be matching my pace, not being a second faster her, and a second slower there.

Gotta agree with this. 

I can play at 90 AI on Bahrain and be in the top 3, 90 AI on Spain and I'm in last place. 90 AI on Belgium and I'm in top 3. It's incredibly inconsistent. 

• Agree 2
On 8/5/2021 at 9:23 AM, Sonic6L said:

Gotta agree with this. 

I can play at 90 AI on Bahrain and be in the top 3, 90 AI on Spain and I'm in last place. 90 AI on Belgium and I'm in top 3. It's incredibly inconsistent. 

This.

Literally just commented on another thread saying the same. How MyTeam car is 2nd to last in the development list but can make it to 6th in qualy at spa, but 22nd at Spain is a mystery to me. Am running 90 difficulty.

There must be some way they can use the Time Trial data to process the times people are getting to update the AI ability.

Thinking about it, the Race Pace program available on practice sessions every weekend. They could farm the results of that data and produce a bell curve, then use this to set the AI ability.

Yes, it will take a while to gather the data, but surely it will lead to a more accurate AI.

Edited by Monzie83
  • 4 weeks later...