Jump to content Jump to content

F1 2021 Tips & Tricks • Ask questions, share your own tips and more!

• Social Media & Community Team
9 hours ago, slthree said:

I think it's time to search on PJ's YouTube channel for a primer on "My Team".

I haven't got a My Team guide up funnily enough.

For '20 I did every practice session, got a load of Resource Points and the game was "easy mode" by Season 2.

I find it hard to make an effective guide for My Team considering you can easily just whack AI Difficulty down to 0 or massively change the Resource Points allocation in your favour.

Teaching people how to drive, that I can do because there's no "easy mode" switch for that 😄 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
14 hours ago, PJTierney said:

For '20 I did every practice session, got a load of Resource Points and the game was "easy mode" by Season 2

If you did every practice session how are you able to protect your gearbox for 6 full races?

You probably read that I damaged my gearbox BEFORE race 4

Did you just limit the amount of laps you did each session? Or, is there some kind of secret to babying the gearbox to make it last longer?

Hi...

I would love to find a solution to a problem that has wrecked 3 or 4 races in my Career mode, but I continue to play in the hope that I learn how to fix this before starting a new career.

What happens is that DURING a race, a major change in circumstances (accident, weather, etc) might mean I need to make an extra pit-stop,  but this cannot be controlled properly on the MFD.

In Belgium, for example, I even knew in advance that it would rain around Lap 5 and stop raining around Lap 33, but the car was made to stop on Laps 5 AND 6 to put on the same type of tyres twice, then again 3 laps in a row when coming off the wet tyres around Lap 30, and with the blue line into the pit entrance (activated for corners only) I could not continue the race without being forced into pit again.  This was the opposite of my Canada race, where I wanted to make an extra stop, but when I came to the pit entrance, it would not let me in, directing the car back on to the track where I crashed and was disqualified.   In France, the game made me pit on the wrong lap but I managed to continue racing at least, even though it was then on the wrong strategy and cost me places.

It would seem that there has to be some mechanism for me to control the strategy from MFD, or if I don't, then is it selecting random strategy for me.

It is also difficult to select the SQUARE button to view Jeff's suggested strategy when he is also speaking about a crash further back, and the selection of the new strategy disappears by the time he stops speaking.  Is there way to reset that option to view it in case that is one of the solutions.

Main issue is that the pit entrance is closed when I want it open, or open when I want it closed...  how do I fix that.

All suggestions welcome.  Thanks.

Edited by bobinscotland
update
9 hours ago, slthree said:

If you did every practice session how are you able to protect your gearbox for 6 full races?

You probably read that I damaged my gearbox BEFORE race 4

Did you just limit the amount of laps you did each session? Or, is there some kind of secret to babying the gearbox to make it last longer?

I just did enough laps to do all the practice programmes and simulated the rest.

Gearbox required 1 or 2 reliability upgrades but then lasted long enough after that. Also my races were 25%.

I haven't done a My team season in '21 yet so I don't know if the wear rates are higher.

49 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

Just come across this fan-made tool; it might help some people though bear in mind that TT pace and race pace are very different things, and you may not be as fast in races as you think.

https://www.f1laps.com/ai-difficulty-calculator/

image.png

I already mentioned this online tool in one of my threats but worth mentioning : don’t forget to set equal performance in TT. And Yes, PJ is right, there is a difference between race and TT but objectively this is very useful if you want to set a correct difficulty on each track.

On 8/17/2021 at 9:31 AM, PJTierney said:

Just come across this fan-made tool; it might help some people though bear in mind that TT pace and race pace are very different things, and you may not be as fast in races as you think.

https://www.f1laps.com/ai-difficulty-calculator/

image.png

This is a very helpful (and fun) tool - both in terms of defining where you are and if you are making any progress. 

53 minutes ago, Badmayhem said:

Are the cars in Grand Prix mode equal? Cant find any info might just be looking in the wrong place.

Thanks in advance.

No, they're set up the same as in real life (or close to)

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I tried to follow PJTierney controller guide, but I'm missing the maximum wheel rotation setting in the vibration menu. Anyone know why?

I'm using an xbox series controller.

edit: nevermind, it's because I'm on PC.

Edited by Ryne

Yeah it's only on console, as they interact with control devices different to PC. No matter what game I play my Fanatec wheel has different/missing sliders for example.

I need help with rank rating! I've done 46 ranked races, 40 have been top 50% finishes, 32 have been podiums and 10 have been wins. However, my Silver 2 rank has not gone up or down at all since I started playing! Why is this and what do I need to do to increase it? Thanks!

Been playing on ps5 with controller using pj’s settings.. well the only difference between the settings was not knowing about the secret setting and thought it didn’t apply to pad. and that combined with whatever was in 1:08 (I’m not imagine it,) has made handling awesome... but. @PJTierneyin his video mentioned adjusting ffb for on track, off track and rumble strips... but doesn’t elaborate.  He obviously knows over secrets but he’s not letting on.  I have on track at 75 which I find massive improvement over default.., but I’m not one to try every settings combination.,  I don’t have patience.  So pj if I were to change those ffb where should they end up.

Also been playing with triggers on medium as that’s games default.. and not having played any other games I’ve been largely unimpressed with these triggers I read raving reviews about..... so it was only cause I noticed PlayStations default setting has them on strong... I changed the games setting to strong.... Omfg I now get what the fuss is about.., they are awesome the feedback esp when braking or accelerating out off a tight corner... and now when the rear steps out I’m catching it with ease... 

For me the game is really starting to come together... 

But I see evidence off over the top scripting in the last few races off the season.. it’s intent seems to stop you from exceeding on and off track performance.  I dare say it was enabled by my answers in pre and mid season interview 

Edited by ScaredDuck
  • Like 1

I've played F12020 and 21 and in the race strategy practice programme I always run it 3 times, once for each compound (plus inters and wets if I can and it looks like it'll be a wet race). 

Is there actually any point or benefit in doing this?

Obviously I'd save a lot of time by running it once, and save on component wear too.

8 hours ago, Squadinho said:

I've played F12020 and 21 and in the race strategy practice programme I always run it 3 times, once for each compound (plus inters and wets if I can and it looks like it'll be a wet race). 

Is there actually any point or benefit in doing this?

Obviously I'd save a lot of time by running it once, and save on component wear too.

Very much a personal thing...  I only do minimum practice laps.  Once passed practice programs which I pretty much do first time... Esp during first season off myteam and wear is more off an issue.

personally inters you can run on your dry setups providing you don’t set extreme dry set ups.  Wet setups were a pain but believe last patch has calmed rain down lots.. i was having wet races 2 thirds off the time.. since patch rain has effected 10%  off my races and they only required inters... So don’t know how a current full wet race effects handling... before it was so so hard but now I would assume as general handling is better i imagine wet weather handling is also better

On 9/5/2021 at 6:08 AM, ScaredDuck said:

@PJTierneyin his video mentioned adjusting ffb for on track, off track and rumble strips... but doesn’t elaborate.  He obviously knows over secrets but he’s not letting on.

Nothing sneaky, it's simply a personal reference thing. I turn everything up to maximum on controller, but some people might want only the on-track stuff maxed out so that they can feel the controller go loose when they drive off the road. Some might like the opposite.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, TheSmelly said:

I play My Team and I have used up my first set of engine parts, what’s the best way to use them up?and when is the best time to switch them back before the race?

I use my worn parts in practice and switch before qualifying.,. So far in the many myteam careers I’ve played, never had a single grid penalty 

Just some myteam R&D tips... Just some things I find help with getting the best performance and handling balance.   

In press interview I name chassis department as my department that gets the gold star.  So I get spec 1... Weight reduction before weight redistribution...  I generally get a major and a minor reduction first...  Don’t see any benefit in redistributing weight before losing some first

As for tyres this year doesn’t seem so important.. last year tyre R&D was a must.  

Aero I answer the press questions all aero based so I get a minor and major drag.  And two front downforce minors... I then R&d on rear downforce 2minors.  After which drag and drs... Then from there r&d front and rear together.  Keeps everything in balance.

Depending on engine supplier... Ferrari focus more on engine upgrades... Mercedes focus more on durability... this year though I prioritise durability until I get electrical systems minor... if you want to avoid getting a penalty.  I find getting all minor upgrades and then using more worn parts for practice keeps penalties to a minimum.  

If im doing well through the season and punching above my weight I focus on durability... durability upgrades also have no effect on your teams performance ranking which is handy in first season.  Lower you stay in the rankings less is expected off you on track and passing practice programs is easier. 

however as ai teams also get their own upgrades increasing their performance in last few races off the season are no fun watching everyone fly off Into the distance.  But it benefits you for next season.  First season don’t expect to be super competitive.  Just do whats required on track to meet your goals and raise your and your teams acclaim. Ideally you want to be ranked in same position at start off second season as you did at the start off your first... but With better durability.  Second season is where you’ll look to advance up the rankings..  starting second season I’ll have a half decent chassis upgrades.  So I switch focus to aero and power facilities and r&d.  

dont even bother with your second driver. Don’t waste resources trying to make him better you won’t and don’t spend money on facilities for him.   

Marketing however Try to get spec1 ASAP

And don’t bother going above spec 1 on how many parts you can develop at once... For the most part you’ll only really need to be upgrade max 2 per department for the first season.  And out off 4 departments assuming you pick Ferrari or Mercedes engines. You’ll be one off, if not the worst in 3 of the departments.  So that gives you 4 upgrade slots  that need attention.  Plus you won’t be earning enough resource points for more than that.  

As cash is tight in the beginning.  Durability facilities are the cheapest to build.  So if you pick Mercedes you will have a competitive engine.  So engine performance upgrades can wait.  

I intentionally answer press questions aero specific cause merc power plus drag reduction upgrades give you good top speed.  So you don’t need to put much into aero to start.. your chassis will have zero upgrades this is why I give chassis department the gold star.  Your get chassis spec 1 facilities.  Initially R&d upgrades won’t require as much resource points. So you can quickly upgrade your chassis.  

Dont panic when you see your engine performance falling behind other teams... Your car to start with handles as well as a battleship on land... adding engine upgrades will just make it worse.

I generally look to upgrade quality control and build time.  

This works for me.  And like setups it’s all personal preference 

sorry if what I’ve typed is disjointed... I keep think off things to add 

Edited by ScaredDuck
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1