Jump to content Jump to content

F1 2021 Tips & Tricks • Ask questions, share your own tips and more!

PJTierney

8 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

Can I be the new Jeff?

Only problem Your relaxing tones would rock me off to sleep where Jeff keeps me on my toes and angry with his constant wrong calls.   Taught me to be hyper aware... Last my team career had upgrade almost everything.  Russell my teammate.. pretty much every first stint in a  race.  You could throw a paper towel over the both off us.  But whenever I pit Russell pits same lap even when I change strategy at start off race.. So rather than give it everything on my in lap I’m easy off to make space or going around again.  

With new patch back to new myteam career and it’s a struggle going from fully upgraded car to brick on wheels.

With controller settings available you can adjust pretty much every setting... except one which pj has just made me think off... esp now we have no lean mode... I’ve always used auto gears and now I’m a old dog I’m not about to change to manual after decades off using auto...  although reassign down shift but keep upshift for short shifting...  so I think it would be useful to have  a adjustable short shift mode. Esp for wet races.    Or even rebrand  lean mode as it’s not being used anymore. As short shift... I miss lean mode cause i like using engine braking.   

Better explain myteam and developing your car

o bear in mind when you pick the ten year career modes.  Think long term.. I only play myteam... first season all you need to worry about is keep raising your acclaim... make sure you at end off season you’ve achieved your main sponsors objective... and just develop your car in terms off from the ground up.. think custom car tv programs. And the how they go about building a car

Chassis... first.. reduction then distribution... tyres brakes 

durability.. preparing  for future seasons. 

aero... drag  first:.... then downforce  both front and back develope together to keep setup balanced then drs.

Performance... engine upgrades pick Mercedes.. you’ll stay quick for most off the season..  without upgrades.. during the course off season I do upgrade two minor engine so I have ers upgrades for second season... 

when you’ve got a good chassis.. spec 2 and good aero spec 2 and durability spec one or two depending on how  much mechanical sympathy you have on track. 

Then performance upgrade.. but not engine... ers and fuel efficiency..  performance you should keep one or two spec behind the others...

No point having super powerful engine. When you’ve got a chassis tha can’t handle it and Aero not good enough to get maximum benefit

what R&d upgrades you develope first can have great effects on how your car behaves..  At first you car handles ok.. but it stil has poor chassis and aero.. and now you’ve just put a Mercedes lump into it... so now it’s harder  to control under accelerating turning and braking.. so you need to help it... losing weight helps with everything...    more weight you can lose the better.. your morbid obese you need to be anorexic.  If you think real F1.  They carry 0 excess weight.  So all the time you have undeveloped weight r&d it’s means? Your still to fat.

weight reduction on a car just like us humans.  Has maximum benefits and almost 0 negatives,.. not only does weight massively help handling. Accelerating braking. Top speed..  But also reduces wear and tear on your components.  

In you want you can drop ai difficulty and set up the game so you can win every race and become world champion.. but think about this.  You may be able adjust ai difficulty.  That’s not the same as career difficultly.  Which you can’t change...  If you dominate all on  track first season.  The game start misbehaving and unbalanced..  The game expects you to perform on track relative to your teams position.... so the game needs you to set the ai accordingly. So you can play the game as designed

Edited by ScaredDuck
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Hammerpgh62 said:

I have this same problem of over wearing the engine because I tend to need to put in a lot of practice to get in the groove. I’ve decided I’m going to perhaps forego p3 based on the above comments.

First season.  Durability is a nightmare esp at the start... practice laps keep to the bare minimum.  I just pass the practice programs.   But I have the benefit off knowing myteam career inside out and know the tracks and my setups I like to use.  You need to accept you are a low ranked team and ranking up takes time... Should aim to r&d durability to minimum spec 1 as early as you can.... Esp ice turbo and your electrical systems.. Does not benefit you much first season.. second season it’s a good platform.  Also durability upgrades do not increase you teams ranking and first season that’s a good thing... you start the 7th ranked team... you want to finish the season ranked no higher than 6th.. 7th is better...  The higher your team ranked the more expectations are put on you...  ie you’ll be expected to qualify higher and finish in higher... if you don’t negatively effects acclaim..  Staying as a bottom team you get away with performing badly without negative effects on acclaim 

Edited by ScaredDuck

Help please. So I see all the times have been deleted from time trial. Is this due to a change of handling and if so, have people been changing their set ups? 

I only play multiplayer and steal a decent set up I'm comfortable with from the top of the leaderboards. I have no idea what I'm doing changing it myself. 

To do this for all tracks is at least several hours work and I last did this in the 2 weeks after release.

So my concern now is all my set ups are all out of date. Or is the change so minor that previous set ups are still going to be suitable?

Advice would be appreciated to potentially save me the time of updating each track. Cheers!

3 minutes ago, Whiskeyjack11 said:

Help please. So I see all the times have been deleted from time trial. Is this due to a change of handling and if so, have people been changing their set ups? 

I only play multiplayer and steal a decent set up I'm comfortable with from the top of the leaderboards. I have no idea what I'm doing changing it myself. 

To do this for all tracks is at least several hours work and I last did this in the 2 weeks after release.

So my concern now is all my set ups are all out of date. Or is the change so minor that previous set ups are still going to be suitable?

Advice would be appreciated to potentially save me the time of updating each track. Cheers!

Also are times generally slower? My lap times seem to be down and just wondering whether it's set up related or just generally slower cars since update. 

@Whiskeyjack11 yep, that's because of the performance patch. It basically made the car more draggy, slowing them down.

Laptimes are slower as a result.

The car will handle differently but so far not to the point of making me change my own setups.

That's a handling patch coming too. We don't know how extensive will be the changes, Codies has only said that the main purpose is to correct a non intended behavior on slow speed corners. 

34 minutes ago, marioho said:

@Whiskeyjack11 yep, that's because of the performance patch. It basically made the car more draggy, slowing them down.

The car will handle differently but so far not to the point of making me change my own setups.

That's a handling patch coming too. We don't know how extensive will be the changes, Codies has only said that the main purpose is to correct a non intended behavior on slow speed corners. 

@marioho is that handling path the same already given to e-sports players? Maybe there are some reviews coming from them!!!!

57 minutes ago, marioho said:

Ah perfect. Thanks very much! 

• 1 month later...
On 9/5/2021 at 9:44 PM, Squadinho said:

I've played F12020 and 21 and in the race strategy practice programme I always run it 3 times, once for each compound (plus inters and wets if I can and it looks like it'll be a wet race). 

Is there actually any point or benefit in doing this?

Obviously I'd save a lot of time by running it once, and save on component wear too.

I normally will just do the set practise requirements. Mostly in P1 and then use P2 for any further setup tweaks depending on P1 and how the pace is.
If I am struggling on setups I will restart the same session a few times while using different setups for race or qualification setups. Then when happy, do the practise session for real.

That way you can do race practise on soft and mediums for a good 10laps without worrying about wear as you are going to restart and do it again anyway.
I find it handy tog et the feel of the soft especially with a full load of fuel to simulate the start of most races. You can judge tyre wear and fuel usage to then help with overall race strategy.

• 3 weeks later...

Based on a t-cam footage on Jeddah during free-practice today, I can safely say that the track dimensions in the game are totally off, too elongated in most aspects, where corners come much quicker in reality than in the game. This warped dimension needs to be corrected! All F1 tracts in a game sanctioned by the FIA should be LASER scanned, NO EXCEPTIONS! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi PJ/Admin/Devs

Re: F1 2021/PS5 online Ranked Races

As a member of the community team I hope you may have the insight to answer these questions. It’s really important I understand these in order to improve my online races and to determine whether I do short or standard, whether I have to try and push more into the cars on the track or I can sit at the back knowing I’m going to get an increase in Skill Rating etc.

These questions are genuine user questions that would allow me a better user experience but they’re not explained in any FAQ or help page, not any game instructions.

1.  (Important question) With regard to the driver ratings, I’ve seen many posts say “finish in the 50% to increase your Skill Rating”. Importantly, does this include all the DNF’s or is this only based on the “POS” at the end of the race, that is the position only within the finished vehicles?

2. When trying to increase Safety Rating, is this based per race irrespective or per lap? In other words, I want to know whether doing the 25% standard races would give me a higher Safety Rating boost at the end because of a longer race, or would it not be that much more considerable than a short 5 lap race?

3. When trying to increase Skill Rating, are there any golden rules apart from finishing in the top 50%. For example does it also have to be clean or would any non-clean element only effect the Safety Rating aspect, whilst position only would affect Skill Rating Or, do you quite simply have to “win” races in order to get an increase, rather than podiums etc.

4. Does anyone have a link, spreadsheet or can refer me otherwise to somewhere that outlines how the driver Skill Ratings for ranked races (not safety ratings) are calculated or how many points you get for certain positions etc. any insight? (This one isn’t essential, I know this may be information the devs don’t want to share but I feel the previous questions should be answered for a better knowledge of the game)

Edited by leed1985

51 minutes ago, leed1985 said:

Hi PJ/Admin/Devs

Re: F1 2021/PS5 online Ranked Races

As a member of the community team I hope you may have the insight to answer these questions. It’s really important I understand these in order to improve my online races and to determine whether I do short or standard, whether I have to try and push more into the cars on the track or I can sit at the back knowing I’m going to get an increase in Skill Rating etc.

These questions are genuine user questions that would allow me a better user experience but they’re not explained in any FAQ or help page, not any game instructions.

1.  (Important question) With regard to the driver ratings, I’ve seen many posts say “finish in the 50% to increase your Skill Rating”. Importantly, does this include all the DNF’s or is this only based on the “POS” at the end of the race, that is the position only within the finished vehicles?

2. When trying to increase Safety Rating, is this based per race irrespective or per lap? In other words, I want to know whether doing the 25% standard races would give me a higher Safety Rating boost at the end because of a longer race, or would it not be that much more considerable than a short 5 lap race?

3. When trying to increase Skill Rating, are there any golden rules apart from finishing in the top 50%. For example does it also have to be clean or would any non-clean element only effect the Safety Rating aspect, whilst position only would affect Skill Rating Or, do you quite simply have to “win” races in order to get an increase, rather than podiums etc.

4. Does anyone have a link, spreadsheet or can refer me otherwise to somewhere that outlines how the driver Skill Ratings for ranked races (not safety ratings) are calculated or how many points you get for certain positions etc. any insight? (This one isn’t essential, I know this may be information the devs don’t want to share but I feel the previous questions should be answered for a better knowledge of the game)

Call him with a mention and he will come😁 @PJTierney

I have a question/complaint.

How is it possible, to get a DNF in 2 consecutive Simulated Races? I play in My Team and have a lower Midfield Car and qualified P21 in Monaco and P14 in Azerbaijan. But both Races took place in the Rain (Monaco was Wet Qualifying as well). I am not good at these tracks in the Dry, thats why i qualified so low. So i simulated the Races and got DNF in both. No explanation what happened, or on what lap, if i tried to find something in the Race Director. I couldn't even look at laptimes.

I simulate Races, if i have a track that i am not good at. and i can at least see the laptimes. So... Is it a bug, or intentional from codemasters?

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, nameoftheuser said:

Is it now safe to purchase brake upgrades? I remember reading that it could mess up your game if you get it.

Not sure started a new my team after update.  Never had issue before with maxing my brakes... it was always when upgrading engine that i experienced handling and braking chaos...

and some say Im imagining it.  But since update either engines or my team car or both has had a rebalance.    Base myteam car using Honda or Mercedes is down on power but feels much better behaved.  Getting the car to rotate through corners is easier and every time I’ve raced at Spain in first season off a my team career (which is loads) I could never get good traction coming out  off the  last chicane right consistently.... which would mean even with drs I  couldnt catch the car infront and worse would normally have to defend at the end off the straight. But Raced it earlier and did miles better than before 

54 minutes ago, ScaredDuck said:

Not sure started a new my team after update.  Never had issue before with maxing my brakes... it was always when upgrading engine that i experienced handling and braking chaos...

and some say Im imagining it.  But since update either engines or my team car or both has had a rebalance.    Base myteam car using Honda or Mercedes is down on power but feels much better behaved.  Getting the car to rotate through corners is easier and every time I’ve raced at Spain in first season off a my team career (which is loads) I could never get good traction coming out  off the  last chicane right consistently.... which would mean even with drs I  couldnt catch the car infront and worse would normally have to defend at the end off the straight. But Raced it earlier and did miles better than before 

Ok so you know my opinion on if the power output has changed or not.. BUT the way you described it now got me thinking and it could also be that they changed how the power is translated onto the wheels. Im sorry but my english isnt good enough for this haha.

What i mean is that 1000bhp might have required a grip level of 1.00 to avoid wheelspin, but now after the patch it only requires 0.95 grip to avoid wheelspin. So although it is putting out the same amount of power the tires are reacting to it as if it was a bit less power making it seem like its less power/more controllable and leading to less understeer under throttle. But thats just an idea.

1 hour ago, Meza994 said:

Ok so you know my opinion on if the power output has changed or not.. BUT the way you described it now got me thinking and it could also be that they changed how the power is translated onto the wheels. Im sorry but my english isnt good enough for this haha.

What i mean is that 1000bhp might have required a grip level of 1.00 to avoid wheelspin, but now after the patch it only requires 0.95 grip to avoid wheelspin. So although it is putting out the same amount of power the tires are reacting to it as if it was a bit less power making it seem like its less power/more controllable and leading to less understeer under throttle. But thats just an idea.

You know I restart my team over and over.  Trying all different pre season variations.. But i know my preferred options which is drag drag front downforce.  Spec 1 chassis (which i focus on reduction)  My set ups apart from the odd tweak are always the same.  The only thing That varies is Honda or Mercedes.  So you know I’m not big on telemetry etc.   My setups are primarily down to if i like how it feels.  as I havE good knowledge when it comes  mechanical grip and aero.  And how it works.  I’ll make minor changes to settings until I’m happy my pace is good.

And I’ve done it the same way for decades. So I notice instantly if some is different.

So what you say sounds pretty plausible.  And Maybe lost in translation.  when I say Mercedes engine has been nerfed. I’m referring to the whole drivetrain in general  I’m not specifically saying it’s power.  As I don’t have the data i can’t point to exactly what has been changed but I know something has. And I only see your post because I’m about to post a thread thats related 

also don’t feel as know your English isn’t good.. I’m English and I’m not good at explaining what I mean/. That’s why I love and miss @marioho, Because it doesn’t matter how bad i explain something.  He understands the point I’m trying to make and he will post with a translation  

Edited by ScaredDuck
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I am doing my first career as driver.  I have read that there are rule changes at the end of season but I can’t find any information besides it takes resource points to keep upgrades depending on rule changes.

My question is, if you are running 23 race season, which I believe is all races.  How many points do you want to save for the rule changes, and what race or around what month of season should you slow down on spending points?  Also, what is the general strategy for saving points for the end of the season, do you simply stop upgrading all together or just conserve a set amount of points, and what set amount of points would you generally try to keep for the rule changes to have an edge the next season?

Thank you

edit: My question was answered already on another thread.  Thank you.

Edited by DisplayNameTakN

• 1 month later...