Jump to content Jump to content

F1 2021 Tips & Tricks • Ask questions, share your own tips and more!

PJTierney

On 3/29/2022 at 9:40 AM, PJTierney said:

This guide is perfect companion for above post

If anyone uses the setups recommended you may still have issues as the setups don’t take into account inputs from your driving style.  So below I found this handy guide to help fine tune your setups 

https://driver61.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/Driver61-F1-2021-Setup-Guide.pdf

Edited by ScaredDuck
  • Like 1

This has bugged me for a while - why is it basically every time I start a lap I am automatically about a quarter of a tenth down on my previous best? It's static, so not a case of having had a worse run out of the final corner.

On 4/1/2022 at 12:06 AM, Currriss said:

This has bugged me for a while - why is it basically every time I start a lap I am automatically about a quarter of a tenth down on my previous best? It's static, so not a case of having had a worse run out of the final corner.

Think it’s just how the timing works.  

47 minutes ago, Currriss said:

So I start my lap with a handicap just because?....

If it's a quarter of a tenth, you're taking the last corner worse than your best lap. I consistently start -0.003 to +0.005 but that's so marginal that it's not an issue. If you're starting +0.025 that's something your side as I've never seen anyone else with that

• Agree 1

I have a question about AI difficulty, i am playing a grand prix season with Sainz because i am a Ferrari fan, realistic performance as i usualy do. Normally i can win some races with AI at 90, but i tried this grand prix season with AI at 100 and i can barely take a P8-P9 in quali and P4-P7 in race. In straight line i don't have an excellent speed with Ferarri but i try to compensate when i get out of turns. So the question is, players who usually play with AI above 100, do you use realistic performance or equal performance? And of course, what car do you use? Because Ferrari it's the third car in the game.

21 hours ago, TPMillo said:

If it's a quarter of a tenth, you're taking the last corner worse than your best lap. I consistently start -0.003 to +0.005 but that's so marginal that it's not an issue. If you're starting +0.025 that's something your side as I've never seen anyone else with that

No, it's nothing to do with the last corner. I said as soon I cross the line I have a deficit already, and it's static. If I came around the last corner at a higher/slower speed then it would slowly increase/decrease from 0.000. Starting a lap 0.02 down and the delta not moving from that point makes no sense whatsoever.

• 3 weeks later...

When Damage is set to Standard, does that mean AI won't have any (mechanical) DNFs? Im in my 4th season, Lewis had 0 DNFs, and Max only had one and that was me crashing into him. I do have mechanical failures turned on, altho it never happened to me.

Do AI get DNFs when damage is set to Simulation? I tried playing with simulation damage, but it feels like my front wing is made out of wet tissue.

Posted (edited)
On 5/1/2022 at 5:20 PM, nameoftheuser said:

When Damage is set to Standard, does that mean AI won't have any (mechanical) DNFs? Im in my 4th season, Lewis had 0 DNFs, and Max only had one and that was me crashing into him. I do have mechanical failures turned on, altho it never happened to me.

Do AI get DNFs when damage is set to Simulation? I tried playing with simulation damage, but it feels like my front wing is made out of wet tissue.

The ai cars will get damaged easier when damage is set to simulation.  But beware So will you.  

The ai durability has had a buff.  Which is a good thing as they where taking  tons off penalties for taking extra parts over the season or to often dnf through mechanical failure.   

Front wings in real F1 are flimsy.  The way to stop them from braking is not to hit anything😃👍

Edited by ScaredDuck

On 5/3/2022 at 5:10 AM, ScaredDuck said:

Front wings in real F1 are flimsy.  The way to stop them from braking is not to hit anything😃👍

I know, but you still see stuff like Lewis hitting Max in Jedah and then winning the race, but when someones barely touches my wing I get damage and understeer into oblivion and lose time. 🙂

3 hours ago, nameoftheuser said:

I know, but you still see stuff like Lewis hitting Max in Jedah and then winning the race, but when someones barely touches my wing I get damage and understeer into oblivion and lose time. 🙂

When that happened I instantly thought Lewis would have to pit.  But he was just extremely lucky.  9 out off 10 times he would need a new wing.  And you have to hit your wing quite hard in the game before it needs to be replaced 

33 minutes ago, ScaredDuck said:

When that happened I instantly thought Lewis would have to pit.  But he was just extremely lucky.  9 out off 10 times he would need a new wing.  And you have to hit your wing quite hard in the game before it needs to be replaced 

What's interesting about that is that with the damage he did sustain, he didn't lose much time if any at all. In F1 21, if you go slightly darker green you may as pit as the car will be virtually undriveable, which is very harsh. It really doesn't have to be that drastic

23 minutes ago, TotosHeadphones said:

What's interesting about that is that with the damage he did sustain, he didn't lose much time if any at all. In F1 21, if you go slightly darker green you may as pit as the car will be virtually undriveable, which is very harsh. It really doesn't have to be that drastic

Totally.  However i have wondered it maybe because visually doesn’t  truly represent the amount off damage sustained.  I wonder this because how your front wing simulates damages and how end plates  show damage.

occasionally I start to  slightly understeer  during the race.   And nothing comes up on the mfd and looking at front wing there doesn’t look to be damage. But if I go to replay pause and go to chase camera and rotate to look at the front wing.  Closer expectation will show slight damage on the endplate.  A little hole or scrape.  As the race goes on if I’m being aggressive over kerbs that damage increases but wing plate never detaches but will require me to change wing.

I think when you lose the entire end wing plate.,  In damage terms I think and I only think that you’ve suffered more damage than just end plate such as your main front wing on that side and that’s why it’s so much harder to handle than the damage shown.  I mean I’ve suffered bad damage to my underbody in practice and only find out when I pit and have to wait for repairs 

• 1 month later...
On 8/17/2021 at 8:31 AM, PJTierney said:

Just come across this fan-made tool; it might help some people though bear in mind that TT pace and race pace are very different things, and you may not be as fast in races as you think.

https://www.f1laps.com/ai-difficulty-calculator/

image.png

Man, this calculator is pretty awesome.  1 question I have, just a minor issue I'm running into...Would you suggest putting your best time into the calculator, or doing 5-10 laps and then maybe doing an average or median time?

I ask as I input my best time, but then really struggle in races, as I think going best time isn't a true representation of my skillset and doing, say, 10 laps and then maybe taking my 5th best lap may be better...what do you think?

6 hours ago, shel311 said:

Man, this calculator is pretty awesome.  1 question I have, just a minor issue I'm running into...Would you suggest putting your best time into the calculator, or doing 5-10 laps and then maybe doing an average or median time?

I ask as I input my best time, but then really struggle in races, as I think going best time isn't a true representation of my skillset and doing, say, 10 laps and then maybe taking my 5th best lap may be better...what do you think?

Have you tried using the Grand Prix method of working out AI level? I think it's a bit more representative of lap times due taking into account tyre wear and normal track conditions with a race setup rather than the perfect conditions seen in Time Trial mode with a TT setup.

It involves you setting AI to 50, picking Sergio Perez or Bottas (as you're comparing against the fastest guys in the game with the easiest cars to drive) and doing a qualifying lap in a one-shot session of the track that you're going to race. For every .100 you are faster than your team mate, add 1 point to the AI. Give it a try, I think you'll find a far suitable level doing it this way.

Edited by TotosHeadphones
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, TotosHeadphones said:

Have you tried using the Grand Prix method of working out AI level? I think it's a bit more representative of lap times due taking into account tyre wear and normal track conditions with a race setup rather than the perfect conditions seen in Time Trial mode with a TT setup.

It involves you setting AI to 50, picking Sergio Perez or Bottas (as you're comparing against the fastest guys in the game with the easiest cars to drive) and doing a qualifying lap in a one-shot session of the track that you're going to race. For every .100 you are faster than your team mate, add 1 point to the AI. Give it a try, I think you'll find a far suitable level doing it this way.

I haven't heard about this one, thanks for the tip. I can give that a whirl too.

Though I think I'd still ask the same overarching question I had above though, would it really be best to do a 1 shot qualifying or would it be more suitable to do 5 laps or so and take an average/median time?  

I could potentially have a great or poor 1-shot quali lap, and my time could be, say, 0.7 seconds worse than a normal lap time for me, so my AI may be 7 points too easy, if you will if that makes sense?

Perfect, thanks man.  I'll try both for a few circuits between your suggestion and the F1 Laps website, and see the differences and/or if they're pretty similar in the AI Difficulty #s they spit out.

Edited by shel311
  • Like 1

I got a racing wheel today and desperately need help lol. 

Fast corners, I immediately take those much better, no issues there. But slow corners, I brake at the normal time if you will, but when I turn the wheel the car will only turn slightly so I can't ever make the turn. 

But if I'm going slow, I can do a steep turn, so I assume the wheel works. But is there a setting or something in the way I drive I need to change to be able to fully turn when braking pretty hard to try and time the turn just right? 

Disregard the above, that was just newness and frustration lol. 

I figured it out pretty well. My best laps are about as good are within 1 second of my controller laps but going off track a good bit more still. 

So far so good for 1st day and 2 hours into it. 

• Like 1