Jump to content Jump to content

Yeah, you and the whole real life F1 grid, though I didn't like that stupid meta of changing fuel mix on every other corner that used to reign on F1 2019.

There's room for improvement in the game to make the systems for race strategy and fuel consumption less opaque to the player, that's for sure. I have yet to start a career game in F1 2021, but up to last year's game it was fixable by doing the Race Strategy program properly. Wonder if it's the same source of trouble this time around.

@FTBuzzard you mean the ERS assist? Or did they introduce a switch to turn off FIA regulations for the ERS?

As far as I know, what heavily impinges a driver's use of ERS is the Harvest and the Deployment limits per lap. No matter what, you can only deploy up to 4MJ per lap and only harvest 2MJ for the MGU-K, with the Overtake mode unloading the full extra 160BHP from the hybrid system up to that hard limit. 

The ERS assist if I'm not mistaken only makes the game "manage" the overtake mode for the player, but doesn't change the regulation's 4MJ lap limit. There was a discussion about it a while ago:

2 hours ago, Blueboy969 said:

100% race. Halfway through and had to restart because I not completing another 40 laps with +0.14 laps of fuel. What a joke.

A safety car could come out and let you use lean mix...

You need to complete the race strategy programme, it helps with fuel calculation. Also start the race with a little in hand rather than under fuelling like previous games...

• Agree 1

Yeah we should still be allowed to adjust fuel mix real f1 drivers do that only the 'engine mode' option change is against the rule, we should still be allowed to manage fuel mix. Real F1 drivers can adjust harvest/deploy (SOC dial to side of handle in pic), fuel mix and even tyre wear management (arrow)- yes, a lot of people don't know when people say 'ah they are managing the tyres'  that the drivers are massively helped by on board computer adjusting settings of the car to help tyre degredation, the wheel can be seen here, 1= new tyres 5= heavily worn. Details are sketchy about this mode as each team keeps it secret but one engineer said it controls all in one things like acceleration sensitivity, diff adjustments, sometimes even steering etc)

racefansdotnet-20190509-174208-11 2.jpg

Edited by TomAAA
  • Agree 1

@TomAAA I don't think even the recent wheel pics are a good indicative of what systems do on current cars as the engine modes' regulation change came late last year and there's still plenty the drivers can do apart from changing ignition tables and fuel/air mixes. That pic is from last year.

The most thorough breakdown of the changes I remember seeing on Reddit was this one – in German, but DeepL does a good enough job at translating it. What the game does, like allowing Lean Mix under SC conditions, seem a good enough compromise to the complexity of the regs and the extension of the changes.

While it's good to always move to simulation, sometimes there needs to have some gameplay compromises. Also, some tracks becomes really interesting the fuel management now, and better than mix curve to curve basis. Can be better? Always, but it's something on the right track i think.

I think there's plenty to play with already with the overtake button. Quick bursts on exits of corners leading to long or linking straights, for example. I don't see any appeal on adding a system that would depart from the real deal.

Videos of F1 2019 are a fad with that constant "switch to lean. Now switch to rich" corner after corner. I would rather move brake bias and differential effects closer to real life so people would engage with these mechanics more, since we have ERS already to get us closer to the different deployment maps the drivers have at their disposal.

That's just my opinion, though.

• Agree 3